DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 543
1 members and 542 guests
Heist
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Non-Sportbike Forums > Non-Sportbike Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools
Please help save my cousin's life
Unread
  (#1)
M Class Holder

Please help save my cousin's life - May 15, 2008, 01:01 PM

UPDATE:
Project Michelle - APA Marrow Donor Drive
When: June 12, 2008, 5pm - 8pm
Where:
AAAS Building Lobby
1200 New York Avenue NW
Washington, DC 20005(details in post #17)

So maybe this isn't a typical .net thread, but I'm trying to get this seen by as many people as possible, so I'm breaking free from my normal lurking status.

My cousin was, has been diagnosed with Acute Myeloid Leukemia (AML). Michelle is 26 years old -- she is an incredible human being and friend. Michelle was first diagnosed in February 2007. This past week, we learned that Michelle has relapsed and her cancer has returned. She is in urgent need of a bone marrow transplant

Michelle, a Chinese-Vietnamese American and Berkeley alum, urgently needs our help in giving her a new chance at life. She is undergoing chemotherapy at present but needs to find a match for her bone marrow transplant by June 21st.

Three Things You Can Do

1. Please get registered.

Getting registered is quick and requires a simple cheek swab and paperwork (10 minutes of your time). If you are actually a match, the donation process is VERY similar to giving blood.

We have created an organization called "Project Michelle" (www.projectmichelle.com) to increase the number of Asians registered in the bone marrow registry. Our goal is to enroll 15,000 Asians. Her match is most likely to come from a person of Asian descent, however, very few Asians are actually in the registry and this makes it very difficult for doctors to find them a match. This is why we need your help.

We are currently organizing drives nationwide, and I need you to get registered by visiting a local drive. Please check our website for information about drives in your area (http://www.projectmichelle.com/drives.html).

You can also get registered easily by ordering a home kit http://www.aadp.org/pages/register.php (free for ethnic minorities) or http://www.marrow.org/HELP/Join_the_Donor_Registry/index.html?src=ThxMom_Marrow (free for all ethnicities before May 19th). Please indicate in the additional notes box of your test materials "For Michelle Maykin. To be expedited.".

2. Organize a drive.

Organize a drive in your community (workplace, church, community center , etc.) http://www.projectmichelle.com/howtodrives.html.

At a minimum, please share this message with at least 20 people, and ask them to do the same. Please point your friends to local drives, ask them to get registered, and organize a drive in their own community.

Please use the power of your address book to spread this message today more than ever before, we can achieve broad scale and be part of a large online movement to save lives.

3. Learn more

To learn more, please visit (www.projectmichelle.com). The site includes more details on how to organize your own drive, valuable information about leukemia, plus FAQs on registering.

Thank you for getting registered and joining this effort to help Michelle win her fight against leukemia and for helping others who may face blood disorders in the future.

Best,

Michelle's family and friends

FAQs on Bone Marrow Transplant

How do I know if I'm a match?
If you are found to be a possible match, you will be contacted by the National Registry or your local center. You will be presented with the option of proceeding to the next level of testing.

How my marrow is collected?

The most common procedure is peripheral blood stem cell collection. You are given injections to support overproduction of marrow, which is then released into your circulating blood. The cells are collected by removing blood from a vein in your arm during a simple procedure. This is very similar to donating blood isn't it amazing that it's that easy to save someone's life?!

Last edited by AllAWD; May 30, 2008 at 03:29 PM.. Reason: DC Drive June 12 5pm-8pm
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#2)
GP Racer

May 15, 2008, 02:26 PM

Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to java927  
Unread
  (#3)
Popplers!

May 15, 2008, 02:36 PM

What's the likelihood that a non-asian will match? Would it waste the clinics time if I went to get tested and I'm Italian/Irish/German?
Unread
  (#4)
Kat
Finally got a garage!

May 15, 2008, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by karrotx
What's the likelihood that a non-asian will match? Would it waste the clinics time if I went to get tested and I'm Italian/Irish/German?
You might not be able to save this particular person, but if you're found to be a match, you may have the opportunity to save someone else just as worthy.

I'm going to have to think about registering. Just knowing how grateful *I* was when my mother-in-law received 2 pints of donated blood (and yes, SHE was grateful, too), I can imagine how much a marrow transplant could mean. Great post. I never knew about this.

**Sara**
"She wont be so fuckable covered in road rash." -boomchic00

"The whore force is strong in this one."
Kevers

BamBam, I miss you more than words can say.
Unread
  (#5)
DAS BOOT

May 15, 2008, 05:16 PM

Wow. Just..................wow.
Unread
  (#6)
Spike

May 15, 2008, 05:45 PM

Damn, I'm not Asian or I'd get registered for you!

RIP Greg Walker, I will never forget you

If everybody thought before they spoke, the silence would be deafening
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via ICQ to jtatooz Send a message via Yahoo to jtatooz Send a message via AIM to jtatooz Send a message via Skype™ to jtatooz 
Unread
  (#7)
GP Racer

May 15, 2008, 07:06 PM

Good luck to Michelle and family. Thoughts and prayers and all that.
Unread
  (#8)
This Ain't My First Time!

May 15, 2008, 10:57 PM

I don't really think it matters if you are asian or not. If you match you match. Just like blood if you match the blood type you match no matter if you are black, white, asian, or indian. If the likelyhood of you matching increases because you are asian that is one thing, but if you match that is all that matters.

OVER? did you say "Over"? Nothing is over until we decide its over, was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell No!!!

~Blutarski~

Dodge131:
If your goal is to scrape knee within 1 mile of your house then you sir have a problem.

Men have two emotions: Hungry and Horny. If you see him without an erection, make him a sandwich.
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#9)
M Class Holder

May 16, 2008, 12:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by karrotx
Like others have said, matches can come from anywhere. The statistics for a match are only about 25% for family members and not much lower for general population. Lots of people are in need.

It's just a cheek swab kit and questionnaire that is mailed to you house, no need to go to a clinic.
Unread
  (#10)
I just peed a little

May 16, 2008, 05:06 AM

I'm not allowed to register with my rib issue As soon as I heal up, I'll be registering!
  Facebook Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to Monkey Send a message via AIM to Monkey Send a message via Skype™ to Monkey 
Unread
  (#11)
GP Racer

May 16, 2008, 10:55 AM

Just requested my home test kit...free for me since I'm part Asian. I have also forwarded the link to my sisters, who are also (amazingly) part Asian .

~Kumi
MARRC Corner Worker of the Year 2008
MARRC Vice President 2012

Last edited by KumiK; May 16, 2008 at 10:58 AM..
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to KumiK Send a message via AIM to KumiK  
Unread
  (#12)
Signed up for Track Days!

May 16, 2008, 12:32 PM

I am Chinese/Vietnamese. I'll take a look at it when I get home and register.
Unread
  (#13)
M Class Holder

May 19, 2008, 10:12 AM

My family just held a donor drive in Dallas. The marrow registry is now putting a rush on all registrations for Michelle Maykin. Please write this somewhere on your form "EXPIDITE: FOR MICHELLE MAYKIN" if you mail them in or let the staff know if you register in person. Otherwise, your sample will not be checked in time to save her life.

Huge thanks all who are registering and passing the word around.
Unread
  (#14)
Got my Permit

May 19, 2008, 10:40 AM

I'm waiting on my kit. Hope you find a match.

han
Unread
  (#15)
Lurking

May 19, 2008, 03:18 PM

Just ordered my kit. It's still free if you register by today (the 19th is the last day for the free kit). Hope you find a match for your cousin.

Some people are only alive because it is illegal to shoot them.
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to CrazyDaDa