DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 509
1 members and 508 guests
tonetone
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Non-Sportbike Forums > Non-Sportbike Chat

View Poll Results: How much more is service worth?
0 - Dude shouldn't have helped 0 0%
%0-10 : It's worth a little extra 4 21.05%
%11-25 : Premium help deserves a premium markup 12 63.16%
%26+ : Service is everything 3 15.79%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
Poll: How much is service worth to you?
Unread
  (#1)
GP Champ

Poll: How much is service worth to you? - August 21, 2007, 01:55 PM

So I'm in a store the other day trying some things out. I don't really have the cash to buy, so I'm not looking to purchase immediately. I'm also thinking this is sort of a larger ticket item I may want to shop around for. A few people ask if I need help and I tell them I'm just browsing. Then the man in charge starts talking to me and giving me all sorts of good knowledge. He really knows his helmets. Next thing I know he's measuring my head and checking the shape and such. Turns out I'm a totally different size than I originally thought. It also turns out, my head is shaped differently than originally thought too (hey, it's not like I could just look in the mirror) He's also talking about switching pads out to make it fit "perfectly" and all that to boot. I was very impressed. If I had the money I probably would have bought (or ordered) from him right there on the spot. but here's the thing, even after all the discounts he was offering, I'm pretty sure I could get the same item for ~%25 cheaper elsewhere. Do you reward the man for changing your mind about which (size and model) is the right one? Or do you go for the %25 cheaper pricetag?
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#2)
Loves Sporking

August 21, 2007, 01:59 PM

25% on a high-dollar helmet is close to that point for me. There's a price for almost anything, but you might try mentioning the best you heard and asking him what's his best. Regardless of his answer, I'd probably buy it from him. If it's the guy I'm thinking of, he knows his shit and steered you right. That's worth something to me.

Johnny V.
CCS & ASRA #67

2006 Suzuki GSX-R1000
2004 Suzuki GSX-R600 (racing)
2004 Aprilia 1000 Mille R (street)
2001 Aprilia 1000 Falco (street)
2001 Suzuki GSX-R600 (racing)
1995 Kawasaki ZX-6E (street and racing)
1986 Yamaha Radian 600
(street)
Unread
  (#3)
Nothing here

August 21, 2007, 02:11 PM

If you think about it, he possibly saved your life by telling you what to do, what to get, how to make it fit, etc. That's worth a little reward in my book.

I try to support the local brick and mortar business as much as possible, especially when they are selling wares directly related to my hobby and could very well end up at the same ride as me one day. Take Rick for example. You pay a little more for experience and in many cases just like this one, experience is worth it. Just my .02.
Unread
  (#4)
GP Champ

August 21, 2007, 02:23 PM

Saved my life? Let's not get over dramatic. I wouldn't have been all THAT off. I think mostly I'll just be more comfortable.

Are you guys noticing the poll?
Unread
  (#5)
Nothing here

August 21, 2007, 02:48 PM

Hey, you asked for my opinion and then you belittle it? WTF? You do realize that a very large number of people are riding around with helmets that are improperly fit to their heads right? You do realize that that can cause a person to NOT survive a crash right?
Unread
  (#6)
One and Only

August 21, 2007, 03:01 PM

I don't personally care about the poll itself, but:

This is something I could go on for days about. A business, any business, has two aspects: Actual value, and perceived value. These terms could very well be modified to fit each business, but I'm speaking from a hospitality/restaurant perspective.

So, we're talking helmets, right? So xxxxxx.com sells their helmets for $50. Hey that's just great. Good luck getting quality, knowledgeable, and (in my opinion) most importantly, personalized service from xxxxxxx.com.

Now, Bob and Jean's Bike Shop sells the same helmet for $75. Oh no, that's more money, you're getting ripped off!!!!! Or not. The vast majority of the time, Bob and Jean will be more than happy to assist you in any way possible, not only with your new purchase, but also in providing knowledge and assistance in future purchases.

Some folks call this "value added service." Generally speaking, you will not receive this sort of treatment and attention from a online/clearinghouse type of organization.

My point here is that with any business transaction, service is everything. Be it at your local gas station where they remember your name and what type of cigs you like, or your favorite restaurant that recognizes you the moment you walk in the door and greets you with a friendly, familiar smile. Personally, I'm willing to pay a bit more for that level of service. Hell, I do it everyday.

I'm tired of hearing people complain about how they found this killer online deal and then couldn't get any help when they had a problem with the product. Service is absolutely everything.

Just because the price is cheaper, doesn't make it a better deal.

That's all.

Right up the 1 hole.
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to Cloaca  
Unread
  (#7)
GP Champ

August 21, 2007, 03:05 PM

I didn't mean to come off that way man Thanks for chiming in. I'm sure if you were way off it would make a difference. But we're talking about a perfectly fitting middle of the road arai instead of a top of the line Arai/Shoei that fits pretty well. Once the padding broke in I'm sure a slightly tighter fitting RX7 is going to perform just fine in a crash.
Unread
  (#8)
God Made Me Wrong

August 21, 2007, 03:13 PM

Woody & +1

"Always question those who are certain of what they are saying." - Elie Wiesel

When the time comes to leave, just walk away quietly and don't make any fuss.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tfinch
Why does SnoopDogg carry an umbrella?...Fo' drizzle.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whisper
Stop putting shit in my papusa!
When people I don't even know don't like me, I figure I'm doing something right.
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to Bexxx Send a message via AIM to Bexxx  
Unread
  (#9)
GP Champ

August 21, 2007, 03:17 PM

To use more real numbers, we're talking about a helmet that can be found for $350(%36 discount) delivered vs $550 in a store (%57 markup). To get it down to the %25 range you'd have to get a plain "solid" color instead of a graphic. It's not a dollar extra for a beer - we're talking about one or two hundred bucks.
Unread
  (#10)
Spike

August 21, 2007, 03:20 PM

I'll pay extra for good service. I'm just that type of person.

RIP Greg Walker, I will never forget you

If everybody thought before they spoke, the silence would be deafening
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via ICQ to jtatooz Send a message via Yahoo to jtatooz Send a message via AIM to jtatooz Send a message via Skype™ to jtatooz 
Unread
  (#11)
One and Only

August 21, 2007, 03:26 PM

Ok, and?

Think long-term benefits. Think about the guy that took the time out of his day to help you out, knowing damn well that you'll probably go jew it off the intarweb anyway. Think about the overhead that this guy has, compared to the online guy that has virtually none.

Any idiot can lowball. Which in grand-scheme sort of way, ruins everyone's chances of success in the industry.

Example: In 2004 Nissan came out with the Titan. One fucking week later a dealer in Manassas started giving $2500 discounts on all Titan's. As of that moment the value of the vehicle decreased.

Bah, whatever, buy what you want and enjoy it. I'll continue to support businesses that believe in taking care of their people, even if it costs me more.

Right up the 1 hole.
Unread
  (#12)
GP Champ

August 21, 2007, 03:54 PM

I think we all think that person that helps you deserves something. My question is, how much? Are you really fine with paying %25, %50 or even %100 more? In the Titan example, knowing the dealer across town is marking them down $2500 would you go with the more helpful dealer and forget the $2500? That's probably only %10. Yet it seems like a lot to me.
Couldn't you tip the guy or something instead?
Unread
  (#13)
Tough guy

August 21, 2007, 04:20 PM

I am a small business owner. I agree service and quality are everything. I would haggle the price a little more and purchase from the sales person who helped you purchase the proper gear.
  Facebook Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to CamDLux Send a message via MSN to CamDLux Send a message via Skype™ to CamDLux 
Unread
  (#14)
One and Only

August 21, 2007, 04:25 PM

Cut - We're kind of getting into a whole other topic here. I guess the topic title would be the converse of a 'Business Ethics' convo..."Consumer Ethics' Impact on a Capitalist Society."

Really a can of worms I'm not interested in opening.

Just buy your helmet wherever you want and enjoy the ride. Be sure, though, to go back and thank them for assisting you in purchasing elsewhere.

Right up the 1 hole.
Unread
  (#15)
GP Champ

August 21, 2007, 04:33 PM

LOL - yep. It's a can of worms. I think it's much easier in the food industry because you get to put a dollar value on the service you've received. I love that. I tip the hell out of a great server, % be damned. If things worked the same way here I'd totally pay the guy on top of the price. I really feel he added value to my life. He deserves his cut.

In this case, I *think* I can get him into the area I'm comfortable with. So I think I'll buy it from him. But it's a good question! How much is service worth to you?