DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 535
0 members and 535 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Non-Sportbike Forums > Non-Sportbike Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools
Porsche 911 4s experience or opinions?
Unread
  (#1)
GP Champ

Porsche 911 4s experience or opinions? - July 7, 2012, 02:45 PM

Getting bored again with some of my vehicles. Looking for Pros and Cons of owning one. I know how they handle, I've driven the 80's-2007 models so no need to reply in that dept unless you feel you really need to.
I know there has to be a few Porsche drivers here.

Oops..spell check in title.
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#2)
↓ dn ʎɐʍ sıɥʇ ↓

July 7, 2012, 05:27 PM

Friend has one, he 'loves' it, but I get that strange sense he says that only because it cost him what it did. For the money there are definitely a few other vehicles I'd prefer.

-Ryan
Unread
  (#3)
Your Ad Here

July 7, 2012, 11:52 PM

In simple terms, a C will deliver a more pure and involved sportscar experience; a C4 will yield unflappable grip on and off throttle even mid-turn. The C4 also exhibits a bit less trademark 911 pogo because of the additional weight in the front.

You can find more feedback here: S or 4S. Which would you prefer and why? - 6speedonline.com Forums

“Any man who tries to be good all the time is bound to come to ruin among the great number who are not good. Hence a Prince who wants to keep his authority must learn how not to be good, and use that knowledge, or refrain from using it, as necessity requires”.

- Nicolo Machiavelli 1469-1527

Facebook Page MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#4)
Your Ad Here

July 7, 2012, 11:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark View Post
Friend has one, he 'loves' it, but I get that strange sense he says that only because it cost him what it did. For the money there are definitely a few other vehicles I'd prefer.
In terms of handling, agility, feedback, poise, braking, overall refinement, and reliability - little to nothing tops a 911.
The package is so well sorted I would take a 5-6 year old used 911 C4/S (or Turbo ) over almost every new sports cars, if, of course, pure HP and 0-60 are not the only goal measurements.

“Any man who tries to be good all the time is bound to come to ruin among the great number who are not good. Hence a Prince who wants to keep his authority must learn how not to be good, and use that knowledge, or refrain from using it, as necessity requires”.

Unread
  (#5)
Groping is a skill...

July 8, 2012, 12:44 AM

My buddy had one back in 07 and would run me on my Evo every five minutes. He would keep it somewhat close when I only had intake, exhaust, tune. Once I got alky, I embarrassed him. Once I went on to a built block with 35r I was embarrassing 911 turbos. What I'm getting at is that it's straight line acceleration leaves plenty to be desired however the handling and braking was very good.

2015 KTM Super Duke 1290 R
2013 Victory Vision Tour
K7 Gixxer 600 - Track Only
RnR Cycles Touched & Tuned

I grope suckaz!!! -
  Facebook Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#6)
GP Champ

July 8, 2012, 07:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark View Post
Yeah some people are odd like that, admitting they made a mistake. I just sell the vehicle and get something that fits my needs much better.

The E55 caught my attention but I don't want to car sitting in my garage 80% of the time because something else has gone with it.
Unread
  (#7)
GP Champ

July 8, 2012, 07:27 AM

Heist,
I have driven a GT3 no turbo RWD and that was brutal on broken up pavement though I think around my stick of the woods I think it would be fine.
It was a short drive as the owner pee'd his pants when I pushed that bad boy on some curves.
Hey, he said it was fine for me to push it to the limit. He did not realize how fast I can drive in full control, guess he thought I was full of shit when I mentioned I started racing at a young age and I had driven other 911 models before his so I am well aware on how to come into a bend without the ass end doing a 180.
Some of my concerns are the reliability of the AWD system, electronics and valve train.
Unread
  (#8)
GP Champ

July 8, 2012, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heist View Post
In terms of handling, agility, feedback, poise, braking, overall refinement, and reliability - little to nothing tops a 911.
The package is so well sorted I would take a 5-6 year old used 911 C4/S (or Turbo ) over almost every new sports cars, if, of course, pure HP and 0-60 are not the only goal measurements.
I tend to agree with this. A 911 turbo AWD with equal HP to other vehicles it's going against and with a driver who knows how to handle a 911 is very hard to beat.
Unread
  (#9)
Signed up for Track Days!

July 8, 2012, 07:49 AM

someone is selling a viper gts.....it owns

WERA #217
CCS #217

2011 Tarmac SL2
2011 S-Works Venge Project Black
Unread
  (#10)
GP Champ

July 8, 2012, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by turkishexpress View Post
My buddy had one back in 07 and would run me on my Evo every five minutes. He would keep it somewhat close when I only had intake, exhaust, tune. Once I got alky, I embarrassed him. Once I went on to a built block with 35r I was embarrassing 911 turbos. What I'm getting at is that it's straight line acceleration leaves plenty to be desired however the handling and braking was very good.
Hey Turk,
Evo's are very fun cars just like the Subie. I've driven a 538HP Subie, fun as hell and incredible grip with race compound tires. If I had the space I'd buy my brothers black 2003 Sti and have Turbonetics have at it. He is buddy's with those guys out in Cali. He got a free intercooler as they used his subie as the prototype vehicle for a new intercooler model.
I've had plenty of low cost fast cars, all my money went into the engine and suspensions.
You know what they say though, at the end of the day it's still a Subie, Corvette, etc. I know that sounds pompous and I am far from that but it's a true statement. I'm not looking for all out speed, I have a Chevy SR-72 Blackbird in my garage for that.
I have also been toying with installing a 700HP engine in my G8 GT but I don't want to destroy a nice running daily driver. My damn Jeep Grand Cherokee has been having death wobble issues after the lift job so I can't have too many vehicles out of commission.
I would likely go with the non-turbo version 4S AWD not due to cost but that fact that I am not too concerned about it be very fast. Hell even the RWD version may be good enough for me. I am not too sure about anything at this point.
Unread
  (#11)
GP Champ

July 8, 2012, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyatt View Post
someone is selling a viper gts.....it owns
Oh trust me I saw that. I'm not crazy about Vipers but yours is a nice looking Viper. I would love to have that one in my garage.

Myself and my previous corvette club use to compete with the Viper club ages ago in 1/4 and autocross. They got spanked even with a road course prepped Viper they brought out one time to shame our Corvettes. It was like bringing a knife to a gun fight due to mostly unskilled Viper drivers and no ABS going against very skilled Corvette drivers with stock Corvettes and skilled drivers and high HP corvette with completely setup suspensions. Some of the Viper had upgrades as well. Fun times were had by all though.

Today's Vipers are awesome cars.

Last edited by Trireme; July 8, 2012 at 08:13 AM..
Unread
  (#12)
Your Ad Here

July 8, 2012, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trireme View Post
Heist,
I have driven a GT3 no turbo RWD and that was brutal on broken up pavement though I think around my stick of the woods I think it would be fine.
It was a short drive as the owner pee'd his pants when I pushed that bad boy on some curves.
Hey, he said it was fine for me to push it to the limit. He did not realize how fast I can drive in full control, guess he thought I was full of shit when I mentioned I started racing at a young age and I had driven other 911 models before his so I am well aware on how to come into a bend without the ass end doing a 180.
Some of my concerns are the reliability of the AWD system, electronics and valve train.
The GT series are essentially street legal P Cup cars. Their goal on the street is to pulverize kidney stones and liquefy kidneys. It would be one of the last cars I would buy unless I lived in an area with glass smooth asphalt but to your point, it claws through turns. The method of driving a 911 at pace through a turn is bit different. You don't so much turn in as you throw the front end in and load the front as much as possible - then control the balance and weight distribution with the throttle.

I've never read anything adverse or cautionary about their AWD system or electronics. Occasionally upon release P does have a few niggles electrically that by the second production year are eliminated. My advice, stay away from the first two production years of a new model. But by and far P has ranked either at the top or I'm the Top-5 of JD Powers reliability and quality rankings the last several years.

Unread
  (#13)
TEAM.SUKUZI

July 8, 2012, 12:03 PM

I have a "last of the air cooled" 1996 4S and there's nothing I dont like about it.

sex addict