DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 547
6 members and 541 guests
2blueyam, beatle, CrazyMotorcycleGuy, davidcycle, nootherids, RRonin
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Non-Sportbike Forums > Non-Sportbike Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools
Powered Trailer Dolly: For tight City living ?
Unread
  (#1)
Я - Ребенок Люциферов

Exclamation Powered Trailer Dolly: For tight City living ? - January 16, 2015, 06:48 PM

Living in DC I had to get a special made trailer to fit my drive way (fold up bed inside also). My problem was getting up the incline. with a load inside so that the trailer door can come down. My dad created a winch system that ive been using, but it will not work pulling up into the driveway and ive had issues with dead battery's and other shit....so I said I need a powered dolly.

This is going to make my Track season so much easier....
no more 45 min parking the trailer after having to take everything out. track events took me close to 2 hours....just parking and loading and then reverse (Damn you DC house)....
This will allow me to leave shit loaded in the trailer and when I need to take it out...just hitch and roll....Going to be a great track season.
Might test it out on the jet skis and boat also.
Pricey but its what I need.

Unless someone know of cheaper????????

5000 lb TRAILER ELECTRIC POWER DOLLY RV MOVER BOAT 3 WHEELS BATTERY OPERATED 12V(TT2500B(3W)) ― Buy4Ride.com

Quote:
Maneuver your RV or boat trailer in limited space with this powerful, easy to use and safe electric trailer dolly.
Up to 5000 lbs towing capacity.
Up to 500 lbs tongue load
12Volt 18AH rechargeable battery (battery included)
DC motor : 0.45 KW
Transmission ratio : 1:30
Three different size of Balls (1 7/8"; 2" and 2 5/16") are included
Heavy duty 12 motor integral reduction gear box
360 degree completely enclosed chain guard
Large, comfortable, elastomeric handle grips
Handles all types of travel trailers, boat trailers, ATV or jet ski trailers using a standard type hitch that has a crank-up jack.
Heavy duty, full pneumatic, all-terrain drive tires
Including trailer brake switch

The TMS trailer mover is compact and highly maneuverable, enabling excellent turning in tight spaces. The unit's ergonomically design provides simple control and superb stability.

They sell a super high costing heavy duty one also...

5500 lb TRAILER ELECTRIC POWER DOLLY RV MOVER BOAT 4 WHEELS BATTERY OPERATED 12V(TT2500A(4W)) ― Buy4Ride.com

Maneuver your RV or boat trailer in limited space with this powerful, easy to use and safe electric trailer dolly.
Up to 5500 lbs (2500kg) towing capacity.
Up to 550 lbs(250kg) tongue load
12Volt 17AH rechargeable battery (2 batteries included)
Two different size of Balls (2'' and 2 5/16 '') are included
Heavy duty 12 motor integral reduction gear box
360 degree completely enclosed chain guard
Large, comfortable, elastomeric handle grips
Handles all types of travel trailers, boat trailers, ATV or jet ski trailers using a standard type hitch that has a crank-up jack.
Heavy duty, full pneumatic, all-terrain drive tires
Including trailer brake switch

The TMS trailer mover is compact and highly maneuverable, enabling excellent turning in tight spaces. The unit's ergonomically design provides simple control and superb stability.

the location...

The Nightmare of Summit Point
WERA Nov# 325 / CCS # 326
2016 ZX10R ABS (Street) | 2011 ZX10RR(Race)
2011 R6 (Street & Track) | 2009 WR250F
GunnRunnaz.com|GR on FaceBook | www.2666ad.com|
  Facebook Page MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via MSN to vonstallin  
Unread
  (#2)
All weather rider

January 16, 2015, 09:04 PM

Keep in mind also that when they say "UP TO 5,000 pounds towing capacity", they mean maybe 5,000 pounds under ideal conditions (fully charged battery, smooth level pavement). You'' also need to store that power-assisted trailer dolly somewhere.

You've already replaced the trailer jack rest/skid plate with a wheel (unless it came that way). How about making that a powered wheel? What you need is a nice old Bodine or equivalent 12v reversible gearmotor (reduction motor). One that has something like a 40 to 1 reduction ratio, and has turns at maybe 30 RPM, with a staggering amount of torque. You could power it with a 12v automotive battery that is permanently mounted inside the trailer (I like trailers to have their own power anyway, for lighting, camping/parties in your cargo trailer, etc.). Bracket this bad boy motor, worth $400 but purchased on the surplus market for a song, to the trailer's V-bar. Buy a steel and rubber drive wheel with chain sprockets to replace your current wheel, a sprocket drive with the right keyed bore to fit on the motor shaft, line 'em up, slip on the chain, and crank the jack height 'till it is snug. Use a homebuilt control box with toggles to turn the thing on, and watch it roll... the other nice thing is that when the motor is off the reduction ratio will make it act as a brake, so your trailer won't want to creep on a slight slope.
Of course it would be easier to just buy the pre-made sucker- but where's the fun in that? besides, it sits in the ball socket, so to attach the trailer to your truck you are going to have to remove the dolly, then move the loaded trailer by hand anyway to get it onto the truck ball.
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#3)
Silence... I keeeel you

January 17, 2015, 08:51 AM

It's 100 more for the heavy duty one? I'd go that route. If I was going to go the motorized dolly route..

Then again... That's just me.

On the internet... Everyone is an expert.

And now...The dancing Banana:
Unread
  (#4)
Your Ad Here

January 17, 2015, 11:32 AM

$535 + $130 shipping?
Call me crazy, but that seems a bit much.

This machine is nothing more than an electric pusher cart / pallet jack.

I'm thinking you can home brew something like this out of a $100 self propelled lawnmower off Craigslist. Change the wheels to pneumatics (or skid steers) from Harbor Freight, weld some extra reinforcement to the chassis to bear the weight, and a Class-4 trailer ball on a bracket with height pegs.

$250 bucks maybe in materials and labor. Bonus is you're left with a machine you can cut your lawn with.

Speaking of lawn, did you ever reach out to my landscaper?

“Any man who tries to be good all the time is bound to come to ruin among the great number who are not good. Hence a Prince who wants to keep his authority must learn how not to be good, and use that knowledge, or refrain from using it, as necessity requires”.

- Nicolo Machiavelli 1469-1527

Facebook Page MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#5)
GP Champ

January 17, 2015, 01:58 PM

My father had one that was gas powered for his plane. They're easy to use, easy to steer, and made it so that he could pull his plane out, go flying, and put his plane back in the hangar with no issues whatsoever. It doesn't move fast, so bring your patience...

2001 GSXR 1000 (The bike that lit the afterburner on the liter class world)
2012 Monster 1100 Evo
2003 Yamaha YZFR6 (track only)

mmm... carbon fiber

Quote:
Originally Posted by No One Ever
Awesome Prius!
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to skwidrific Send a message via AIM to skwidrific  
Unread
  (#6)
Я - Ребенок Люциферов

January 18, 2015, 12:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phogroian View Post
Keep in mind also that when they say "UP TO 5,000 pounds towing capacity", they mean maybe 5,000 pounds under ideal conditions (fully charged battery, smooth level pavement). You'' also need to store that power-assisted trailer dolly somewhere.

You've already replaced the trailer jack rest/skid plate with a wheel (unless it came that way). How about making that a powered wheel? What you need is a nice old Bodine or equivalent 12v reversible gearmotor (reduction motor). One that has something like a 40 to 1 reduction ratio, and has turns at maybe 30 RPM, with a staggering amount of torque. You could power it with a 12v automotive battery that is permanently mounted inside the trailer (I like trailers to have their own power anyway, for lighting, camping/parties in your cargo trailer, etc.). Bracket this bad boy motor, worth $400 but purchased on the surplus market for a song, to the trailer's V-bar. Buy a steel and rubber drive wheel with chain sprockets to replace your current wheel, a sprocket drive with the right keyed bore to fit on the motor shaft, line 'em up, slip on the chain, and crank the jack height 'till it is snug. Use a homebuilt control box with toggles to turn the thing on, and watch it roll... the other nice thing is that when the motor is off the reduction ratio will make it act as a brake, so your trailer won't want to creep on a slight slope.
Of course it would be easier to just buy the pre-made sucker- but where's the fun in that? besides, it sits in the ball socket, so to attach the trailer to your truck you are going to have to remove the dolly, then move the loaded trailer by hand anyway to get it onto the truck ball.
That sounds complicated
lol

Facebook Page MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via MSN to vonstallin  
Unread
  (#7)
Я - Ребенок Люциферов

January 18, 2015, 12:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drnknmnky13 View Post
It's 100 more for the heavy duty one? I'd go that route. If I was going to go the motorized dolly route..
I think its close to 800....but i was wondering the same....
completely loaded...trailer bikes tools are under 2400 lbs.

Unread
  (#8)
Я - Ребенок Люциферов

January 18, 2015, 12:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heist View Post
$535 + $130 shipping?
Call me crazy, but that seems a bit much.

This machine is nothing more than an electric pusher cart / pallet jack.

I'm thinking you can home brew something like this out of a $100 self propelled lawnmower off Craigslist. Change the wheels to pneumatics (or skid steers) from Harbor Freight, weld some extra reinforcement to the chassis to bear the weight, and a Class-4 trailer ball on a bracket with height pegs.

$250 bucks maybe in materials and labor. Bonus is you're left with a machine you can cut your lawn with.

Speaking of lawn, did you ever reach out to my landscaper?
Naw i havent.....ive been busy with va house and other stuff....hopefully by spring.

Unread
  (#9)
Officially Addicted to Posting

January 18, 2015, 04:51 AM

Dont you have a winch setup now?

"I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, with tears in my eyes: If you fuck with me, I'll kill you all." -MG James Mattis, Iraq 2003

Ruining .net one post at a time
Unread
  (#10)
↓ dn ʎɐʍ sıɥʇ ↓

January 18, 2015, 10:42 AM

I'd be interested in how much the units themselves weigh, maneuvering something that weighs 150lbs+ can be a real pain when you're merely trying to store it somewhere.

-Ryan
Unread
  (#11)
All weather rider

January 18, 2015, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark View Post
I'd be interested in how much the units themselves weigh, maneuvering something that weighs 150lbs+ can be a real pain when you're merely trying to store it somewhere.
That's what I was thinking. Like a tire changer and balancer, it would be a nice thing to have around on occasion but costs bucks and is yet another in-the-way piece of equipment that also needs to be sheltered/protected from theft when it is not in use.

OK instead of powering the caster wheel on your telescoping trailer jack, how about getting one of those wheels that swings and locks up 90 degrees out of the way when not in use, that clamps to one side of the trailer frame in the front? You could rig up the aforementioned reduction motor assembly to to power that wheel. That way, even if the rig is a little bulky it won't be in danger of touching the ground when you are out on the road.
Unread
  (#12)
#47 GODSPEED BAMBAM

January 18, 2015, 06:05 PM

1st world problems.

www.RnRcycles.com

Home of RNR Repsol Racing.

Missing all my fallen friends and family! If Life Was Easy Then Everyone Would Do It!
Unread
  (#13)
Your Ad Here

January 18, 2015, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodge131 View Post
1st world problems.
....of living in the city.

“Any man who tries to be good all the time is bound to come to ruin among the great number who are not good. Hence a Prince who wants to keep his authority must learn how not to be good, and use that knowledge, or refrain from using it, as necessity requires”.

- Nicolo Machiavelli 1469-1527

Facebook Page MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#14)
All weather rider

January 18, 2015, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodge131 View Post
1st world problems.

The History of every major Galactic Civilization tends to pass through three distinct and recognizable phases, those of Survival, Inquiry and Sophistication, otherwise known as the How, Why and Where phases.
"For instance, the first phase is characterized by the question How can we eat? the second by the question Why do we eat? and the third by the question Where shall we have lunch?"
-Douglas Adams
Unread
  (#15)
MSF Student

January 18, 2015, 09:48 PM

That is awesome. That gives me an idea.. maybe I should install a winch on my truck! Major PITA to load/unload bike by myself.