DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 506
5 members and 501 guests
2blueyam, davidcycle, GRN96WS6, Scot, Slider
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Non-Sportbike Forums > Non-Sportbike Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools
Protecting the Rapists
Unread
  (#1)
Eddie would go ...

Protecting the Rapists - July 22, 2012, 06:27 PM

more odd justice

17-year-old sexual assault victim could face charges for tweeting names of attackers
By Dylan Stableford, Yahoo! News | The Lookout – 5 hrs ago

Dietrich (Twitter)

A Kentucky girl who was sexually assaulted could face contempt of court charges after she tweeted the names of her juvenile attackers.
Savannah Dietrich, the 17-year-old victim, was frustrated by a plea deal reached late last month by the two boys who assaulted her, and took to Twitter to expose them--violating a court order to keep their names confidential.

"There you go, lock me up," Dietrich tweeted after naming the perpetrators. "I'm not protecting anyone that made my life a living Hell." Her Twitter account has since been closed.

Attorneys for the attackers asked a Jefferson District Court judge to hold Dietrich in contempt for lashing out on Twitter. She could face up to 180 days in jail and a $500 fine if convicted. The boys have yet to be sentenced for the August 2011 attack.

"So many of my rights have been taken away by these boys," Dietrich told Louisville's Courier-Journal. "I'm at the point, that if I have to go to jail for my rights, I will do it. If they really feel it's necessary to throw me in jail for talking about what happened to me as opposed to throwing these boys in jail for what they did to me, then I don't understand justice."

Dietrich was assaulted by the pair after passing out at a party. They later shared photos of the assault with friends.

"For months, I cried myself to sleep," Dietrich said. "I couldn't go out in public places."

On June 26, the boys pleaded guilty to first-degree sexual abuse and misdemeanor voyeurism. Terms of their plea agreement were not released.
"They got off very easy," Dietrich, who says she was unaware of the plea agreement before it was announced in court, said in her interview with the newspaper.

"They said I can't talk about it or I'll be locked up," Dietrich tweeted after hearing, according to the paper. "So I'm waiting for them to read this and lock me up."

"[Protecting rapists] is more important than getting justice for the victim in Louisville," she added.

A hearing for the contempt of court charge is scheduled for July 30. Attorneys for Dietrich want it open to the media, while the boys lawyers want it closed.

Both the Gannett-owned Courier-Journal and Dietrich's attorneys "have filed motions to open the proceedings, arguing she has a First Amendment right to speak about what happened in her case," the newspaper said.

An online petition asking the judge to throw out the charges against Dietrich, launched Saturday, has already accumulated hundreds of signatures.
"[She] should not be legally barred from talking about what happened to her," Gregg Leslie, executive director of the Reporters Committee for Freedom of the Press, told the Associated Press. "That's a wide-ranging restraint on speech."

Quote:
Originally Posted by spud View Post
No one gives a fuck about your puff out your chest bravado.
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#2)
Groping is a skill...

July 22, 2012, 07:13 PM

That shit cray...

2015 KTM Super Duke 1290 R
2013 Victory Vision Tour
K7 Gixxer 600 - Track Only
RnR Cycles Touched & Tuned

I grope suckaz!!! -
  Facebook Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#3)
Your Ad Here

July 22, 2012, 07:14 PM

A victim retains the ultimate right to publicly name and identify their attackers.

Fuck what the courts say, fuck any gag or confidentiality clause negotiated between attacker and the court, and fuck anyone who thinks otherwise.

And considering these were minors who cannot be civilly held liable for their actions, she doubly has the right to go skipping the block with a sandwich board around her neck with their faces, names, and addresses.

“Any man who tries to be good all the time is bound to come to ruin among the great number who are not good. Hence a Prince who wants to keep his authority must learn how not to be good, and use that knowledge, or refrain from using it, as necessity requires”.

- Nicolo Machiavelli 1469-1527

Facebook Page MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#4)
someone adopt a newb

July 22, 2012, 07:18 PM

Fuck that shit. I'm surprised they didn't give her a parade. If they even think of going after her she will have every big gun lawyer in her area offering their services for free. Or they should be anyways.

Originally Posted by vonstallin
That shit is like wearing a condom your whole life while living in DC, but going to brazil and going bare back with all the chicks because they look better.

derilict:
So next time you feel the need to prove to the world that you should have been euthanized as a child, do it in someone else's thread.

"No such thing as to pretty to ride. The prettier they are the harder you should ride them. This is also true when it comes to woman." Nubbs

Thank you,

Management

2006 SV650: RIP
1982 Yamaha XJ650: Went old school, but moving on
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to flynmnky  
Unread
  (#5)
Your Ad Here

July 22, 2012, 07:22 PM

If the court sent the Sheriff, I would have my attorney get a copy of arrest warrant and charging document- wipe my ass with both and mail it back to the Prosecutor.

“Any man who tries to be good all the time is bound to come to ruin among the great number who are not good. Hence a Prince who wants to keep his authority must learn how not to be good, and use that knowledge, or refrain from using it, as necessity requires”.

Unread
  (#6)
turn or crash....

July 22, 2012, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heist View Post
A victim retains the ultimate right to publicly name and identify their attackers.

Fuck what the courts say, fuck any gag or confidentiality clause negotiated between attacker and the court, and fuck anyone who thinks otherwise.

And considering these were minors who cannot be civilly held liable for their actions, she doubly has the right to go skipping the block with a sandwich board around her neck with their faces, names, and addresses.
AMEN, Fuck these kids, they can send around pics of her likely naked but she can't out them. I understand we need rules etc.. but common sense needs to be in there somewhere...

- djkouza
############
Bikes: I might own one...
############
djkouza - XBOX
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to djkouza  
Unread
  (#7)
SRWJTS SGT-At-Arms

July 22, 2012, 07:23 PM

Good old America. Where criminals have more rights than victims

-Fitz

2016 Harley Softail Slim S
2012 Harley Ultra Limited in Ultra Annoying Orange Sold!
2012 V-Strom 1000 Sold!
2009 Buell 1125R Sold!
2005 Superhawk Sold!
2001 Superhawk Abandoned!
1981 CB650C Destroyed!

Brace Yourselves... the cries of "It's too cold to ride" are coming...
Unread
  (#8)
GP Champ

July 22, 2012, 07:26 PM

First of all, rape and sexual assault are very different things. It's not even close.

Who knows what they did, but from the description it doesn't sound like they didn't do much. Sounds like she is looking for vengeance after being embarrassed in some way through the pics.

She is calling them 'rapists' and it would be highly unusual for the prosecutor to not consult her on the plea agreement... heck, with picture evidence, it would be highly unusual for the prosecutor to agree to plea this down in the first place.

Last edited by Witold; July 22, 2012 at 07:28 PM..
Unread
  (#9)
Suddenly Superstitious!!!

July 22, 2012, 07:30 PM

1. She's under 18. If the boys can get a plea deal and have their slates wiped clean at 18, then so can she.

2. Sorry, this isn't even reasonable. You can't tell me they didn't know they were doing wrong. And of course their lawyer wants it hushed up quickly.

3. She should continue to fight. They are barring her free speech about crimes committed against her, and crimes that the boys already admitted to doing. If they are over 16, they should be getting hit with pedophile / sex offended status.

I want my baby back, baby back, baby back....Chileeeeee's bay back...
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to MudDawg  
Unread
  (#10)

July 22, 2012, 07:42 PM

"Dietrich told the paper she was assaulted in August 2011 by two boys she knew when she passed out after drinking at a gathering. She learned months later that pictures of the assault were taken and shared with others."

Sounds fairly cut and dried. They have been convicted of assault. Then they took pictures of it. Then they evidently shared those pictures around and she eventually found out months later.

So basically 1. Sexual Assault against a minor. 2. Voyeuristic pictures of the assault of a minor. 3. Convicted of these crimes.

And yet the victim has zero right to speak about the case? She didn't commit the crime. Yet the legal system is going to violate her a second time? Please. Any prosecutor who even attempts to charge her is going to end up on TV covering their face and losing their job.

If the victim is willing to step out from behind rape shield laws to make sure this crime is dealt with in a reasonable manner, then the criminal should have zero say. Juvenile or not. Charge them as adults for the assault, then they don't get to expunge their records, get to register as sex offenders, and get to register as pedophiles.

It's not like 2 kids making out and going to far. It's not innocent. It's taking advantage of an unconscious MINOR. Sorry, but if they didn't know better, then just too fucking bad. They deserve to be in jail where they get taken advantage of.

Unread
  (#11)
Your Ad Here

July 22, 2012, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Witold View Post
First of all, rape and sexual assault are very different things. It's not even close.

Who knows what they did, but from the description it doesn't sound like they didn't do much. Sounds like she is looking for vengeance after being embarrassed in some way through the pics.

She is calling them 'rapists' and it would be highly unusual for the prosecutor to not consult her on the plea agreement... heck, with picture evidence, it would be highly unusual for the prosecutor to agree to plea this down in the first place.
I'm sure what took place wasn't rape. I do not think anything could be negotiated if these boys had photographic evidence of themselves commit rape.

I am almost certainly sure sodomy and molestation were involved. Not quite rape, but certainly as deplorable considering she was passed out.

And, Witold, as we know 'justice' can be discounted wholesale depending on how much money you have and who your connections are.

There's no telling who these boys parents are or who they may know, but apparently they either ran across the softest prosecutor in the state or they had some strings pulled and favors called in behind closed doors.

Unread
  (#12)
Your Ad Here

July 22, 2012, 07:47 PM

Screw it, guns for nutters! We need to protect the rights o...

.... oh wait, wrong thread.

Unread
  (#13)
GP Champ

July 22, 2012, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MudDawg View Post
It's not like 2 kids making out and going to far. It's not innocent. It's taking advantage of an unconscious MINOR. Sorry, but if they didn't know better, then just too fucking bad. They deserve to be in jail where they get taken advantage of.
There is a million pics of passed out unconscious minors who get dicks written on their forehead and their pics end up on funny humor sites.

Each and every such instance is legally considered assault.

Would you like to see all those people prosecuted also?

What exactly did these kids do to earn the sexual assault charge? That is pretty important.
Unread
  (#14)

July 22, 2012, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Witold View Post
There is a million pics of passed out unconscious minors who get dicks written on their forehead and their pics end up on funny humor sites.

Each and every such instance is legally considered assault.

Would you like to see all those people prosecuted also?

What exactly did these kids do to earn the sexual assault charge? That is pretty important.
I agree with the application of common sense. But the way she is going after them...doesn't lend itself to her being teabagged. They are trying to gag her about what happened. I fail to see how or why the victim should be penalized for speaking about something done to them. If a victim is gagged, especially by the government, over the details of a crime, then I would think it's a violation of their right to free speech.

Sorry, but I have an issue with gag orders in typical crimes. Maybe during the trial phase. But if you are committed, to damned bad. Everybody should be able to find out what you did. Hiding behind the laws protecting juveniles, just puts others at risk.

Unread
  (#15)
Derpetologist

July 22, 2012, 08:00 PM

Whatever the assault consisted of, it was still sexual abuse, and the defendants pleaded guilty. There's no valid right or reason to legally order the victim to keep her mouth shut, afaik. This is a pretty bad abuse of justice.

*Not intended to be a factual statement.