DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 534
5 members and 529 guests
2blueyam, CrazyMotorcycleGuy, GRN96WS6, Sal_the_man, shiphteey
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Non-Sportbike Forums > Non-Sportbike Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools
PSA: Great new app to learn another language for FREE
Unread
  (#1)
Site ADMIN

PSA: Great new app to learn another language for FREE - February 1, 2013, 12:12 PM

**WARNING, Wall of text**

TL;DR Check out this great language learning App: Duolingo | Learn Spanish, French, German, Portuguese, Italian and English for free

Most nights after the kids are in bed, I relax in my garage, or on my deck smoking my pipe browsing .net and reddit. I came across this video of a 16 year old who speaks over 20 languages. Like most, I thought I could never do that. Most comments were the same about how this kid must be a genius etc.. Then the folks from the multi-language area of reddit pipped up about how anyone can do that. So i popped over to their area and saw that just about every question about learning another language the answer was using this app called Duolingo. Duolingo | Learn Spanish, French, German, Portuguese, Italian and English for free

In short the company got a 15 million dollar grant from organizations that want to promote multi-language skills. so after 8 months, this app has been the number one recommendation. Because of the grant, the App is free. No Ads, not add ons for $$. I took French in HS b/c my family is french and I had a HUGE crush on a 10/10 that was out of my league that was also taking French. Anyway. I did "OK" but not that great.

Since joining the LEO community I have tried to learn Spanish because well, lots of folks I interact with in uniform speak spanish. Its rather annoying to deal with the language line or have another officer show up to translate. I tried Rosetta Stone, but it is big $$ and i wasnt too motivated.

Since I chill most weekday nights, ive used this app for about a week for about 30 to 45 minutes and I am highly impressed. The way it teaches you mixes it up just enough to help it stick. The lessons and layout is great. According to the Duolingo site, they did a study of folks using this app. After 36 cumulative hours spent using the App, the students knew the equivalent of taking spanish 101 after a college semester. Not sure how much that is marketing,but since it was free I gave it a shot.

So wall-o-text is over. If you have some downtime a little bit each day, this app can get you there. Check out the site. Languages right now are French, German, Spanish, Italian and Portuguese. If you follow their blog, they are adding more languages.

oh and the inspirational video I saw is below:

This post was prepared as a service to the DCSportbikes.net community. Neither the DCSportbikes.net ADMINS nor any of the moderators, makes any warranty, expressed or implied, or assumes any legal liability or responsibility for the accuracy, completeness, or usefulness of any information, product, link, or process disclosed, or represents that its use would not infringe privately owned rights. Reference herein to any specific commercial products, process, or service by trade name, trademark manufacturer, or otherwise, does not necessarily constitute or imply its endorsement, recommendation, or favoring by DCSportbikes.net. The opinions of this author expressed herein do not necessarily state or reflect those of the DCSportbikes.net community, and shall not be used for advertising or product endorsement purposes.
__________________________________________________ ________

Alex
13 Honda Fury
  Facebook Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to spud Send a message via MSN to spud  
Unread
  (#2)
SUPERBITCHIN'

February 1, 2013, 12:27 PM

1. fuck him
2. his accent in italian is pretty crazy, accents all over the place but vocabulary is impressive
3. fuck him
4. notice how his voice actually changes depending on the languages, fascinating
5. good for him, all of us are lazy fucks.

E che cazzo!
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to {SALVA}  
Unread
  (#3)
Site ADMIN

February 1, 2013, 12:51 PM

lol

I know.. i was pretty impressed. Some folks on reddit said his farsi/arabic is better than theirs and its their native language..

This post was prepared as a service to the DCSportbikes.net community. Neither the DCSportbikes.net ADMINS nor any of the moderators, makes any warranty, expressed or implied, or assumes any legal liability or responsibility for the accuracy, completeness, or usefulness of any information, product, link, or process disclosed, or represents that its use would not infringe privately owned rights. Reference herein to any specific commercial products, process, or service by trade name, trademark manufacturer, or otherwise, does not necessarily constitute or imply its endorsement, recommendation, or favoring by DCSportbikes.net. The opinions of this author expressed herein do not necessarily state or reflect those of the DCSportbikes.net community, and shall not be used for advertising or product endorsement purposes.

Alex
13 Honda Fury
  Facebook Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to spud Send a message via MSN to spud  
Unread
  (#4)
GP Champ

February 1, 2013, 02:06 PM

I'll slap it in front of my wife so she can finally learn Italian. DONE

2011 Ducati Diavel Chromo (Current)
2007 BMW R1200GS Adventure (Current)
2006 BMW R1200ST
2003 BMW K1200GT (Current)
2004 Ducati 998s Final Edition (Current)
1997 Aprilia RS250
1998 BMW K1200RS
2000 Ducati 998
1998 Pegaso 650
1999 Ducati 996S
2004 BMW R1150R
2005 Aprilia RSVR Factory
2001 Triumph Tiger 955i
2002 Yamaha FZ1
2006 Buell Ulysses
1991 Suzuki GSX-1100R
1991 Honda Africa Twin 750
2008 Mobster Lefty Trophy pitbike
2004 Aprilia RSVR Factory
1990 Aprilia Pegaso 125
1991 Ducati 888
1995 Honda CR250
1996 Aprilia RS125
1995 Aprilia Sr 50
1984 Kram-it 50
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#5)
Playing with toys

February 2, 2013, 11:21 PM

Cool app, blasting thru the levels in Spanish. Wasn't a big fan of the way they taught Spanish or German in high school (my German teach made each day very painful). Thanks for sharing.

PSN - nate1213

RIP Storm May 29, 2009
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to N8RIDER  
Unread
  (#6)
konichiwa bitches

Location: Over to the left, up a little more....right there!!....FFX
February 3, 2013, 08:47 AM

Thanks for sharing...downloaded and already through the first two levels. Something new for me to do on the train on my way to work.

Leslie

XBOX 360 - Neros Lament

"I'm pretty sure God would consider it a sin not to glorify that ass."

http://www.mrsimcard.com/
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to lqdgrphcs Send a message via AIM to lqdgrphcs  
Unread
  (#7)
On vacation

February 3, 2013, 09:31 AM

Awesome, I'm gonna use to brush up on my French too. I used to be fluent but after trying to use it recently, I've realized how much I've actually forgotten. Great post!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitz View Post
My wife wants to get LASIK or a boob job

She asked my opinion

I told her I have no vested interest in making her eyesight better
Quote:
Originally Posted by alex View Post
Im not really fast enough to notice a difference between tires. I buy the kind thats black and made out of rubber.
Unread
  (#8)
Site ADMIN

February 4, 2013, 09:13 AM

The App is pretty cool if you keep notifications turned on. It pings ya to remind you that you need to keep it up so that you dont regress.

Ive been taking what I have learned and very slowly practicing with the cleaning lady and some coworkers at work. They all make fun of me.. but Im cool with it.

I REALLY like this app. The fact that it is free, that they are sponsored with a big $$ grant to further multi language skills just makes this thing an all around great APP.

I did terrible in HS and this makes it sooo much easier. Im glad you all liked it.

Alex
13 Honda Fury
Unread
  (#9)
Site ADMIN

February 4, 2013, 09:15 AM

oh, I also found out that there is a site that lets you connect with other folks across the planet via skype that want to practice speaking. So someone wanting to learn english that will let you learn to speak spanish as an example is pretty awsome.

I havnt tried it yet, but I think it could be a great way to meet new people. Every language is supported. Ive even read on reddit that folks are eventually flying to locations to stay with people they have met. Lemmie find the link and Ill post.

Alex
13 Honda Fury
Unread
  (#10)
Site ADMIN

February 4, 2013, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RileysDad View Post
Awesome, I'm gonna use to brush up on my French too. I used to be fluent but after trying to use it recently, I've realized how much I've actually forgotten. Great post!
I think you can test out to the more advanced stuff. Did you see that button?

Alex
13 Honda Fury
Unread
  (#11)
↓ dn ʎɐʍ sıɥʇ ↓

February 4, 2013, 09:17 AM

Passed this along to the wife and she loves it, even more than live mocha. Now she can brush up on her German while I'm working.

-Ryan
Unread
  (#12)
Site ADMIN

February 4, 2013, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark View Post
Passed this along to the wife and she loves it, even more than live mocha. Now she can brush up on her German while I'm working.
I did a quick search on reddit for language exchange.

Seems this was the best thread for good answers. Funny that you mention live mocha.. lots of folks dont like it.

How do you guys get connected with natives online? : languagelearning

Alex
13 Honda Fury
Unread
  (#13)
Site ADMIN

February 4, 2013, 09:33 AM

shit.. nevermind. A whole reddit dedicated to language exchange.

*derp

Language exchange

Alex
13 Honda Fury
Unread
  (#14)
100% Kawasaki Biased

February 4, 2013, 09:43 AM

I just played around with the site and app and it's pretty awesome. Can't beat the price and the UI does not suck.

You can live in your car, but you can't race your house.

'07 ZX-10R - 156 RWHP/182 MPH
'09 KX450F - VCHSS 29F
'85 ZL-900 Eliminator
'01 Ninja 250 (Sold)
'06 636 (Sold)
'99 ZX-6R (Sold)
'94 Ninja 250 (Sold)
'99 YZ-250 (Sold)
'73 CL 450 (Sold)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a6Jpc...eature=related
http://videos.streetfire.net/video/H...bud_408656.htmfeature=related

The difference between men and boys is that boys make excuses and men make changes.
Unread
  (#15)
Site ADMIN

February 4, 2013, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas View Post
I just played around with the site and app and it's pretty awesome. Can't beat the price and the UI does not suck.

Alex
13 Honda Fury