DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 500
2 members and 498 guests
GRN96WS6, Sal_the_man
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Non-Sportbike Forums > Non-Sportbike Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools
PTSD Prevention Game-Changer?
Unread
  (#1)
Derpentine Dealer

PTSD Prevention Game-Changer? - March 16, 2015, 11:26 AM

Prevention is the best medicine, as they say. Predicting who will develop PTSD is a huge component of effective preventive intervention. Using multivariate data analysis, researchers have identified a number of variable-sets with predictive value in identifying those who are at higher risk of developing non-remitting PTSD.

Who will suffer PTSD? New algorithm helps experts predict risk | Nature World Report

How's my posting? Please direct all concerns and inquiries to DCSBN's chief content manager, Hollywood, via PM.
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#2)
Your Ad Here

March 16, 2015, 11:31 AM

Could be interesting.
Especially for evaluating testing of military, police, and fire applicants.
It of course should not be exclusionary, but used a means of identifying those who may need a bit more counseling prior to the actual realization (or admittance) that they need it.

“Any man who tries to be good all the time is bound to come to ruin among the great number who are not good. Hence a Prince who wants to keep his authority must learn how not to be good, and use that knowledge, or refrain from using it, as necessity requires”.

- Nicolo Machiavelli 1469-1527

Facebook Page MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#3)
Derpentine Dealer

March 16, 2015, 11:54 AM

A fairly reasonable argument could be made for using it to exclude certain individuals from certain assignments. I'm not saying I agree with it, but I can see it on the horizon.

How's my posting? Please direct all concerns and inquiries to DCSBN's chief content manager, Hollywood, via PM.
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#4)
Your Ad Here

March 16, 2015, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeShirtDude View Post
A fairly reasonable argument could be made for using it to exclude certain individuals from certain assignments. I'm not saying I agree with it, but I can see it on the horizon.
Yes, true.

But if it's not a part of a comprehensive mental health exam with other factors tested after an indicating result, I would consider it to be a misuse of the science.

It would be no different than barring me from certain jobs because I'm black and genetically more likely to develop certain health conditions.

As we can see though this is just one in another of many other examples of how this new era of advanced health care and genetics can open the door to moral hazard and rights violation questions and scenarios we haven't taken the time to mull over and decided how best to handle.

“Any man who tries to be good all the time is bound to come to ruin among the great number who are not good. Hence a Prince who wants to keep his authority must learn how not to be good, and use that knowledge, or refrain from using it, as necessity requires”.

- Nicolo Machiavelli 1469-1527

Facebook Page MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#5)
MSF Student

March 16, 2015, 03:16 PM

I agree with "its use as a part of a comprehensive mental exam," but we do limit people from all kinds of jobs military and civilian for medical conditions, eye sight, height, weight, strength, chronic and genetic illnesses. The question is at what point does a predisposition become a national/social liability that outweighs an individual’s freedom of employment?

As we become a more complex and an intertwined society personal freedoms are seemingly given away in exchange. I don't know how I feel about these losses. I guess like you said Heist these are all discussions that need to be had, but even then these discussions seem to be nothing more than semantics as lately it seems individual freedoms are given away to progress over and over again.
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to