DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 441
4 members and 437 guests
2blueyam, davidcycle, nootherids, Sal_the_man
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Non-Sportbike Forums > Non-Sportbike Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools
purchasing a new/used road cycle
Unread
  (#1)
Nice & Smooth

purchasing a new/used road cycle - December 10, 2007, 09:43 AM

im in the midst of purchasing a road cycle and wanted to know if there are any folks on here that have any recommendations or shops they go to.

I would not mind buying used and am looking for at the $500-$600 price range (give or take). Bike will be used for touring (20-40 mile rides) and a few races (sprint tri's).

Any suggestions?

Last edited by prkid424; December 10, 2007 at 09:57 AM..
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to prkid424  
Unread
  (#2)
Eddie would go ...

December 10, 2007, 10:08 AM

1. Its all about fit - as in how the bike fits you. Go to a bike shop and have them fit you so you know what frame size you need. You can spend $$$ on a bike and it won't perform if it doesn;t fit.

2. Groupo's or components - Most of what you see will be Shimano (although I am liking the SRAM stuff..) Shoot for AT LEAST Shimano 105's to give you a decent and smooth ride (look for their 'fligh deck' lever shifters - all new bike have them but used may not). Campagnola is just as good as Shimano (and Duc riders will say better.... lol ) just not as prevalent and probably a few more $.

3. For that budget you will want a light bike with comfort - that means an aluminum frame (light) BUT with Carbon stays
(comfort) - that means the front fork and rear stays are carbon...best combo for the $. Chromolly frames are abit heavier (not much) but do give a smooth ride. Full Carbon or titanium frames - well if you find one for that price, it fell off a truck..

4. Now you know your size and components so you can shop on craigslist, ebay etc. Check local pawn shops - this time of year you will find quality stuff. Check out bikesdirect.com for their specials...

5. get yourself some Profile Design clip-on aero bars. They will help you in the sprint tri's but also work motivational on those longer training rides (cool factor....).

6. Once you get a bike...go to a bike or tri shop- buy the aero bars there 9maybe $5 more but give them the business) and ask them to fit you and the bars to the bike. Best $30 you ever spent.

7. ride till the black ice shows up. There are a bunch of group rides every weekend that go year round.

see you out there...

feel free to shoot me a PM if you have any q's

Quote:
Originally Posted by spud View Post
No one gives a fuck about your puff out your chest bravado.
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#3)
.RJ
Project Mayhem

December 10, 2007, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch
1. Its all about fit - as in how the bike fits you. Go to a bike shop and have them fit you so you know what frame size you need. You can spend $$$ on a bike and it won't perform if it doesn;t fit.
Great advice.

Also, pay close attention to the seat - if it hurts your package then its not going to break in! You'll have to find something else that works for you.

Getting fit properly on the bike will play a big part in the comfort too - a bike shop can do this for $50-100 and may involved paying to change some parts around - I had to fit a shorter steering stem on my road bike. If you buy new it will be included in the price of the bike.

I've been very happy with my trek pilot, FWIW.
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to .RJ  
Unread
  (#4)
( * )|( * )

December 10, 2007, 10:48 AM

Make sure the component group is solid as well. If you're going to race you'll want to focus on the race rather than screwing with gears if they don't change properly. If you're going Shimano go 105 or better...I like the ultegra group...for the money it's a solid group.

As Dutch said...make sure the fit is right...nothing worse than being uncomfortable or inefficient because you're riding too large or small of a bike.

After Christmas check around...usually shops drop prices on the older models. You can get a good deal on a brand new bike.

Good luck!

Chris
2008 MARRC AM Racer of the Year
Unread
  (#5)
Officially a Ninja

December 10, 2007, 11:10 AM

Check out REI. Helpful staff and great selection to choose from
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to bluebusa07  
Unread
  (#6)
Have Bikes - Will Travel

December 10, 2007, 11:59 AM

You should look into a LeMond Tourmalet. Specifically you should look at the LeMond Tourmalet in my garage.

-Hugh

Ill believe corporations are people when Texas executes one.
http://www.twowheelsgood.net
Unread
  (#7)
I'm a llama again!

December 10, 2007, 12:28 PM

I have a GT course for sale and everything you need even an indoor trainer.
Unread
  (#8)
I'm a llama again!

December 10, 2007, 12:29 PM

How tall are you?
Unread
  (#9)
Nice & Smooth

December 11, 2007, 07:27 AM

Thanks for all the great advice. I will def put those into practice.

Slider- Im 5'6" PM pics of the bike and stuff.
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to prkid424