DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 570
0 members and 570 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Non-Sportbike Forums > Non-Sportbike Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools
Question About Direct TV
Unread
  (#1)
Squid Rider 4 Life!!

Question About Direct TV - February 21, 2007, 11:15 AM

I am thinking of switching to Direct TV. I am paying about $50 per month for just basic cable not including internet. I went to Direct TV's site and they offer more channels for about the same price range. Plus they offer international channels. I know reception goes out with bad weather but other then that any other problems?

I would like to hear some input on this.

Thanks!!
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to ArRrR6  
Unread
  (#2)
Site ADMIN

February 21, 2007, 11:17 AM

dude....pm me your number,it will be easier!

This post was prepared as a service to the DCSportbikes.net community. Neither the DCSportbikes.net ADMINS nor any of the moderators, makes any warranty, expressed or implied, or assumes any legal liability or responsibility for the accuracy, completeness, or usefulness of any information, product, link, or process disclosed, or represents that its use would not infringe privately owned rights. Reference herein to any specific commercial products, process, or service by trade name, trademark manufacturer, or otherwise, does not necessarily constitute or imply its endorsement, recommendation, or favoring by DCSportbikes.net. The opinions of this author expressed herein do not necessarily state or reflect those of the DCSportbikes.net community, and shall not be used for advertising or product endorsement purposes.
__________________________________________________ ________

Alex
13 Honda Fury
  Facebook Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to spud Send a message via MSN to spud  
Unread
  (#3)
Naked...it's the only way

February 21, 2007, 11:18 AM

FiOS.

End of sermon.
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#4)
Squid Rider 4 Life!!

February 21, 2007, 11:19 AM

Alex you got the hook up?
Unread
  (#5)
Site ADMIN

February 21, 2007, 11:27 AM

FIOS is limited right now otherwise id be all over it.

Dave:
Must have direct cable from outside to TV for each feed off SAT. NO splitters anywhere.

2 lines must be run w/out splitter for TIVO

You must buy/lease receiver

Directv uses ONE contractor to install for NOVA, it is hit or miss if they show up when they say they will.

one installer was lazy and lied to tell me they couldnt put the sat on my roof. I believed him, paid 60 bucks to put the sat in my front yard. that was there one day and had someone else come out and say that guy was full of shit. spent months trying to get my 60 bucks back. no response. I have the main managers direct cell number if you need it.

one day i saw the douce installer running round my neighborhood. waited for him to park and i blocked him in and had some WORDS with him. I explained that my LEO involvment put me in touch with people that would properly litigate that he STOLE money from me. only then did the guy cough up the money.

had some receiver issues that they eventully replaced after a couple phone calls. you saw my other issue wiht getting the new SAT to get the local HD channels, but they had no TIVO reciver in stock yet. TIVO is big in my house.. then the new TIVO sux balls.

i have 80% or better signal, yet i stil get blinks in the feed..no sound but vid..yadda..

HD channels are great. reg channels on big TV, just like cable it looks grainy.

I spent a whole weekend with my uncle pulling brand new cabling thoughout my house for Directv to be in almost every room in my house.

Would i do it again? Right now im not so sure. If you wife digs the foreign channels, and you arnt getting a boat load of options, then you could be fine. I have every movie channel, HD, 2 Tivo's, one HD reciever and 2 regular recivers and NFL ticket. Directv loves me when i call i get bumped ahead of everyone else in que...

thats the SHORT version. If they used more than one contractor for the "installs" i might have better advice.

This post was prepared as a service to the DCSportbikes.net community. Neither the DCSportbikes.net ADMINS nor any of the moderators, makes any warranty, expressed or implied, or assumes any legal liability or responsibility for the accuracy, completeness, or usefulness of any information, product, link, or process disclosed, or represents that its use would not infringe privately owned rights. Reference herein to any specific commercial products, process, or service by trade name, trademark manufacturer, or otherwise, does not necessarily constitute or imply its endorsement, recommendation, or favoring by DCSportbikes.net. The opinions of this author expressed herein do not necessarily state or reflect those of the DCSportbikes.net community, and shall not be used for advertising or product endorsement purposes.

Alex
13 Honda Fury
  Facebook Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to spud Send a message via MSN to spud  
Unread
  (#6)
itsOnlyWrongIfuGetCaught

February 21, 2007, 11:28 AM

www.dishnetwork.com

if anything: the installers are everywhere and can come the next day.

with dish I've never lost signal in the 8 or so years

foreign channels w/o a second dish (99% of the time)

user friendly equipt

and the real kicker that seperates the two: the channels are all in order
vs. direct where there could be 70-80 dead channels between the next

"I'm ready for a commitment Harry. First time I set eyes on Mary Swanson I just got that old-fashioned romantic feeling, where I'd do anything to bone her."

Last edited by EPlaw; February 21, 2007 at 11:35 AM..
  Facebook Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#7)
Squid Rider 4 Life!!

February 21, 2007, 11:44 AM

Thanks for the info guys.
Unread
  (#8)
TIMMEH!

February 21, 2007, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by endpreventativelaw
www.dishnetwork.com

user friendly equipt

I highly recommend Dish Network. I've had no problems with them. I've had signal go out a few times, but usually that's only in pretty bad weather (REAL bad rain, thick snow, or Hurricane). I pay $55.00/month and I have an HD box and a DVR box. Spud is right, you absolutely, positively CANNOT split the signal. It won't work if you do. (Trust me, I've tried every angle). I get only about 10 HD channels currently, but the new HD packages are pretty sweet, and they include local HD channels as well. I'd take a serious look at Dish Network. Only problem is no football package. So if you need that, you're stuck with Directv. If not, then it's all about Dish Network in my opinion.

Ninja636 says:
yes, dick is fun!
Ninja636 says:
OH WAIT....
Ninja636 says:
MAYBE I SHOULD REPHRASE THAT

LaoTzu: "I'll just let everyone know, Glade sprayed up the azz burns!"

(While Climbing, talking about his chalk bag)
Matt - "I like it around back where it hits me on the butt while I'm climbing. It's like 'Oooooh, what was that?'"
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to CFIGixx600  
Unread
  (#9)
Nothing here

February 21, 2007, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by endpreventativelaw
www.dishnetwork.com

user friendly equipt

These are all very true. My mother has direct tv and I can never find what I'm looking for in the channels. Frustrates me to death.

Dish Network is easy as 3.14159265358979323846
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#10)
Squid Rider 4 Life!!

February 21, 2007, 05:56 PM

Placed my order with Dishnetwork I was quoted at $70 with the Greek channels
Unread
  (#11)
Site ADMIN

February 22, 2007, 07:45 AM

post up how the install goes...and pic quality..etc

Alex
13 Honda Fury
Unread
  (#12)
Squid Rider 4 Life!!

February 22, 2007, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spud
post up how the install goes...and pic quality..etc
Not a problem March 13 is the Date of install. Fuggin contractors
Unread
  (#13)
itsOnlyWrongIfuGetCaught

February 22, 2007, 07:54 AM

Hey, if you want it installed tomorrow you can. Just hit up every dish provider in the phone book. Same situation I was in. Long story short, call a bunch of people till they can come to you when you want.

Some places will tell you that they are booked for 2 weeks and some places will be like we can come right now if you'd like.

The good part is even though you're signed up thru a retailer you're still a dishnetwork customer so it doesn't matter who you go thru. The prices will remain the same.

"I'm ready for a commitment Harry. First time I set eyes on Mary Swanson I just got that old-fashioned romantic feeling, where I'd do anything to bone her."
  Facebook Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#14)
Agitator

February 22, 2007, 07:57 AM

you can't use a splitter...but you can use a multiswitch:
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1051826211979

yeah, its bucks, but that is the 8 port one...you can get fewer port ones. Basically, its a powered multiplexer vs. a simple splitter'

more information regarding switching and splitting:
http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...ad.php?t=55509

Marc
CCS Amateur #851
2001 Ducati 850RS
2006 SV650 Racebike
2010 CBR1000RR

...and because sometimes you want to go fast, but need 4 wheels:
2009 Nissan GT-R
2003 Nissan 350Z (for sale, $11k OBO)

Last edited by birdman; February 22, 2007 at 08:00 AM..
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to birdman  
Unread
  (#15)
GP Champ

February 22, 2007, 08:04 AM

i have directv and never had an issue with installers and i've had 3 different ones (initial hook up when i moved in, 2nd for hd setup, 3rd when i wanted dvr). all showed up when they said they would. and in the 4.5 years i've had it i have only lost the pic once. whenever that blizzard was. i don't have an issue with the channels cuz i set up my favorites and took out the crap i don't watch.

Tony

'12 Ducati Streetfighter 848
'08 Ducati Hypermotard

Bam Bam #47 9.11.09
Jeff Vega 10.06.09
Totnac 4.30.14
forever... Ride on my brothers
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to RacerX2050 Send a message via MSN to RacerX2050