DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 550
3 members and 547 guests
fxc3700, nootherids, Sal_the_man
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Non-Sportbike Forums > Non-Sportbike Chat

View Poll Results: Does not dating outside of your race make you racist?
Yes 2 5.56%
No 34 94.44%
Voters: 36. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
Question about Racism
Unread
  (#1)
I'm an Asshole

Question about Racism - October 19, 2006, 01:02 PM

First off lemme say I'm not racist. My mom is puerto rican and I've dated black women before. Now let me set up this question.

My friend had a psych class last night and they discussed dating habits. One of the topics discussed was how you choose your mate. And the class was asked for five things that were important when choosing a mate. My friend listed Race as one of her five, along with sense of humor, eyes, etc. I asked her about why she put Race as one of the reasons. Just curiously asking why's that important. She said "I don't date outside of my race." This was a bit of a shock. I had never thought of her as a racist, and I know that she has numerous friends who are minority (including me). I've never had any reason to suspect any type of racist behavior besides that comment. So my question is "is that comment racist" and does that mean that my friend is a racist. Which would mean I would need a serious talk with her and possibly stop being friends.

If you can read this, give me a red dot
If you get mad when I type, do us both a favor.

Some recent rep I have been given:
-U-R-Gay (unsigned)
-you dont even ride you troll (unsigned)
-you are now 115% gay, ghey, and ghay (unsigned)
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to griffindj Send a message via Skype™ to griffindj 
Unread
  (#2)
#47 GODSPEED BAMBAM

October 19, 2006, 01:09 PM

Just by saying that you have dated black women makes you a racist. Is there a reason to say that? That would be like me saying that I have black friends. As long as we as a society label people as colors there will always be racism!

www.RnRcycles.com

Home of RNR Repsol Racing.

Missing all my fallen friends and family! If Life Was Easy Then Everyone Would Do It!
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#3)
Pleased to meet me

October 19, 2006, 01:14 PM

Who cares! Another red dot on the way.
Unread
  (#4)
ysosRRs

October 19, 2006, 01:20 PM

if you are not even considering people because of their race - yes

if you just happen to find that certain people are not in your preference of dating and they happen to be of the same race - no

i've met pretty awesome girls of almost all races and dated a few of them. Mostly the girls i've actually dated happen to be either white or azian and now italian (giggity). Really depends on the personality of the chick and how it mesh's with yours - also personal attraction.

I think that was a racist comment by your friend, but i wouldn't eliminate your friendship with her because of it. Just see if you can find an irrisitable guy who is of another race that's interested in her to sway her though (this is if you really care of swaying her view...). But this is how racism breeds through generations, i'd try and sway her opinion since you are her friend. Usually racist people are hostile when you bring it up since they're in denial (observation), so try to make subtle comments at first.

Madison Motorsports

V. Rossi - "I love Nascar because it's not a real trak -- it's oval."
Unread
  (#5)
whoa preppy......

October 19, 2006, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunyadambusiness
Who cares! Another red dot on the way.
What does India have to do with any of this? j/k

The term racism gets thrown around so much now it's kinda lost it's strength. Is someone burning a cross in another person's front yard the same thing as locking your door when a person who is of a different ethinicity walks toward your car while you are waiting for a light to change?

I like some people and don't like others. If I ever based a prelim decision because of where they came from, I'd have missed out on some great friends. On the flipside, I'd pay money to punch some stupid crackas I know.

I don't know if I'd consider your friend racist. I'd consider them more ignorant than anything.

2018 XSR700
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2019 Honda Monkey
2019 Z900 ABS
2019 Janus Halcyon
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#6)
Happiness Consultant

October 19, 2006, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by griffindj
So my question is "is that comment racist" and does that mean that my friend is a racist.
there is such a thing as personal preference. I don't know what ethnicity your friend is but it could just be that she is "pro-(her ethnicity)".

now if she were to say - "I only date my race because 'this race' does 'negative stereotype' and they are 'negative racial slur'

then she'd be racist.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodge131
That would be like me saying that I have black friends. As long as we as a society label people as colors there will always be racism!
i think the PC police have got you under their spell. I don't think calling someone black/white/yellow/cream-colored/brown/red/whatthefuckever color in an effort to describe them, is racist. I think 'ethnicity-american' is more racist because thats more of a label.

an example:
if someone asked me which guy is 'Joe Blackguy' and he happened to be standing next to two chinese guys and a white dude (oops I mean caucasian ) - I'd point and say 'the black guy' - if that makes me racist, then fuck it I guess I am.

DBR
#135, #47, Vega
--
"Never contract friendship with a man that is not better than thyself." - Confucius

Will pay to see this
whatever henry's name is these days: jason, seriously, im going to kick your face in when I get back
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to EduardoSuave  
Unread
  (#7)
Officially Addicted to Posting

October 19, 2006, 01:31 PM

I refuse to let politics and Political Correctness determine who i am allowed to be attracted to.
Unread
  (#8)
#47 GODSPEED BAMBAM

October 19, 2006, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EduardoSuave
there is such a thing as personal preference. I don't know what ethnicity your friend is but it could just be that she is "pro-(her ethnicity)".

now if she were to say - "I only date my race because 'this race' does 'negative stereotype' and they are 'negative racial slur'

then she'd be racist.

i think the PC police have got you under their spell. I don't think calling someone black/white/yellow/cream-colored/brown/red/whatthefuckever color in an effort to describe them, is racist. I think 'ethnicity-american' is more racist because thats more of a label.

an example:
if someone asked me which guy is 'Joe Blackguy' and he happened to be standing next to two chinese guys and a white dude (oops I mean caucasian ) - I'd point and say 'the black guy' - if that makes me racist, then fuck it I guess I am.
Ok then I see your point but answer this. When most people want to point out someone else they say that black person, that asian person etc etc. I know that doesn't make people racist but when the want to point out someone of there own ethnic background they say that guy or that girl. If I am wrong then ok but just think about it thats all.

www.RnRcycles.com

Missing all my fallen friends and family! If Life Was Easy Then Everyone Would Do It!
Unread
  (#9)
IrightI

October 19, 2006, 01:37 PM

Goddamnit... 5 more points off my IQ from reading another of Griff''s posts.

06 R6 Raven
03 R6 Track
Unread
  (#10)
I'm an Asshole

October 19, 2006, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian
Goddamnit... 5 more points off my IQ from reading another of Griff''s posts.
Goddamnit... 3 more kb worth of cyberspace used up from dumbasses like you who are too stupid to realize that if reading this thread was a waste of your time then posting in it is wasting even more of your time.

If you can read this, give me a red dot
If you get mad when I type, do us both a favor.

Some recent rep I have been given:
-U-R-Gay (unsigned)
-you dont even ride you troll (unsigned)
-you are now 115% gay, ghey, and ghay (unsigned)
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to griffindj Send a message via Skype™ to griffindj 
Unread
  (#11)
Nothing here

October 19, 2006, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodge131
Ok then I see your point but answer this. When most people want to point out someone else they say that black person, that asian person etc etc. I know that doesn't make people racist but when the want to point out someone of there own ethnic background they say that guy or that girl. If I am wrong then ok but just think about it thats all.
I describe people by height. I'm short though, so I'm always saying "that tall guy". Just once I'd love to call someone by "that short guy".
Unread
  (#12)
Spike

October 19, 2006, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by griffindj
First off lemme say I'm not racist. My mom is puerto rican and I've dated black women before. Now let me set up this question.

My friend had a psych class last night and they discussed dating habits. One of the topics discussed was how you choose your mate. And the class was asked for five things that were important when choosing a mate. My friend listed Race as one of her five, along with sense of humor, eyes, etc. I asked her about why she put Race as one of the reasons. Just curiously asking why's that important. She said "I don't date outside of my race." This was a bit of a shock. I had never thought of her as a racist, and I know that she has numerous friends who are minority (including me). I've never had any reason to suspect any type of racist behavior besides that comment. So my question is "is that comment racist" and does that mean that my friend is a racist. Which would mean I would need a serious talk with her and possibly stop being friends.
I don't think that's necessarily a racist, to me at least, it's simply a preference. I don't prefer to date white guys but it's not b/c I don't like whites, i'm just not really attracted to them. (current not included)

RIP Greg Walker, I will never forget you

If everybody thought before they spoke, the silence would be deafening
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via ICQ to jtatooz Send a message via Yahoo to jtatooz Send a message via AIM to jtatooz Send a message via Skype™ to jtatooz 
Unread
  (#13)
Rocket girl

October 19, 2006, 01:43 PM

My thoughts.... if you limit yourself, you are going to miss out on some great people! Especially in this area, diversity should be embraced.... As long as someone is on a bike.... they are ok in my book!!

Angie
05 GSX-R 600 sold

I will be back on 2!!!!
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to angiegsxr 600 Send a message via MSN to angiegsxr 600  
Unread
  (#14)
#47 GODSPEED BAMBAM

October 19, 2006, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madali
I describe people by height. I'm short though, so I'm always saying "that tall guy". Just once I'd love to call someone by "that short guy".
I was just pointing out a quirk that I noticed of people thats all. And this thread is kinda pointless BTM IMO!

www.RnRcycles.com

Unread
  (#15)
Happiness Consultant

October 19, 2006, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by angiegsxr 600
My thoughts.... if you limit yourself, you are going to miss out on some great people! Especially in this area, diversity should be embraced.... As long as someone is on a bike.... they are ok in my book!!

isn't that a limited view?

DBR
#135, #47, Vega
--
"Never contract friendship with a man that is not better than thyself." - Confucius

Will pay to see this
whatever henry's name is these days: jason, seriously, im going to kick your face in when I get back
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to EduardoSuave