DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 528
0 members and 528 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Non-Sportbike Forums > Non-Sportbike Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools
Question about replacing iPhone 5S battery?
Unread
  (#1)
Slow as a turtle...

Question Question about replacing iPhone 5S battery? - December 11, 2016, 08:27 AM

Wanted to ask a quick question, does anyone has any recommendation for a battery for iPhone 5S? Any particular place or a seller? Apple one is pretty expensive. I would prefer to DIY and not go ebay route, unless someone has tried some seller over there?

I have looked at this thread: Anyone ever replace their iPhone battery? and 'Google'.

Thanks for any help and pointers.

P.S: Reason why I am planning to replace, because battery is draining out rather quickly and also, it show 40-50% and next second showing as 13%.

---Showing gratitude is one of the simplest yet most powerful things humans can do for each other---
---Courtesy is as much a mark of a gentleman as courage.---
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#2)
Stop light racer...

December 11, 2016, 09:50 AM

I replaced my iPhone 6 battery using "ScandiTech Battery for iPhone 6" back in September. Fairly easy to do (if your ok with managing small parts, and being gentle) and the battery has been working as expected ever since.

Previously my phone would die like every few hours, sometimes even minutes after full charge. Now it works great. The battery was from Amazon; battery and tools are about $30.

- Norway Daily, 90' VFR750, V4 Touring Beast
- USA Daily, 08' Versys - Urban Assault vehicle
- Toy, 02' Ducati 900ss - Loud and angry noises
- Toy, 89' FZR600 - Raw Inline Deathbox
- Project, 91' CB250 - Goal: lightweight city bike
- Project, 79' CB350 - Finally runs, now to finish

- Sold, Red 94' VS800 - Loud as F@*$
* R.I.P. Blue 06' SV650, murdered by DC!
* R.I.P. Black 98' FZR600, murdered by DC!
- Sold, Red 81' GS650
- Sold, Black 81' CM400T
Unread
  (#3)
Licensed Rider

December 11, 2016, 01:31 PM

The 5 and 6 are fairly easy with the right tools. The kits usually come with suction cups and a spudger, but they're a real pain in the ass. Not impossible, just a real pain in the ass. If you have access to the tool that looks like pliers with suction cups on the top and bottom, it's a 15 minute job.
Once you have the digitizer popped open at the base, you can work it open at about a 30 degree angle. You can't open it yet into an L shape because of the thumb reader ribbon. You'll need to reach in with a spedger and pop off the securing plate. Make note of the direction it installs. Also, watch yourself, sometimes that little things flies off. It's tiny and disappears easily in carpet and is hard to track when flying through the air. Now take the spudger again and pop the ribbon off. You can now hold the phone in an L shape.
At this point, disconnect the battery. There is a plate with two fasteners. After the battery has been disconnected, disconnect the digitizer ribbons that are under a securing plate with 4 fasteners. You can use your finger nail or plastic spudger to pop the ribbons off. You should now be able to set the digitizer to the side.
Just beware of the adhesive on the battery. It's going to take a lot to get it out. Use the plastic spudgers. You'll need to be careful with the amount of force you put on the phone casing, it's aluminum and can be damaged/deformed. You will bend and deform the old battery which isn't a big deal as long as you don't puncture a cell(s). Once it's out, I usually put it into a plastic sandwich bag just in case.
When installing the new battery, there is usually enough adhesive left that it will hold the new battery in place. Once the battery is in place, connect all the digitizer ribbons and secure them with the plate and then connect the battery. Now you'll need to start installing the digitizer to the chassis starting from the top. You'll see the digitizer has hooks/grooves at the top. At this point, you'll need to connect the thumb reader and install the securing bracket which is done with the spudger. Be sure that the bracket snaps in flush.
With the top still set in the grooves, work your way to the bottom popping the digitizer into place. Install the two fasteners at the bottom and you're good to go. Be sure to follow the batteries manufacturers break in instructions.

"Everybody needs a bosom for a pillow"
Unread
  (#4)
Your Ad Here

December 11, 2016, 04:20 PM

Ifixit.com will offer the most comprehensive instructions on replacement steps and parts sourcing.

“Any man who tries to be good all the time is bound to come to ruin among the great number who are not good. Hence a Prince who wants to keep his authority must learn how not to be good, and use that knowledge, or refrain from using it, as necessity requires”.

- Nicolo Machiavelli 1469-1527

Facebook Page MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#5)
Your Ad Here

December 11, 2016, 04:27 PM

https://www.ifixit.com/Store/iPhone/...ry/IF124-002-2

“Any man who tries to be good all the time is bound to come to ruin among the great number who are not good. Hence a Prince who wants to keep his authority must learn how not to be good, and use that knowledge, or refrain from using it, as necessity requires”.

Unread
  (#6)
Your Ad Here

December 11, 2016, 04:29 PM

https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/iPhone+...lacement/19239

Unread
  (#7)
Slow as a turtle...

December 12, 2016, 07:17 AM

Thanks so much everyone for all of your input and advice.

It does seem like a job with lots of patience. Will buy parts first and then take it from there.

Thanks again.

---Showing gratitude is one of the simplest yet most powerful things humans can do for each other---
Unread
  (#8)
Stop light racer...

December 12, 2016, 01:12 PM

I did my iPhone 6 in like 20 minutes i believe; just keep track of the screws. I used a magnet to hold and keep them for rolling off the table.

I replaced a screen on my iPhone 5 too... both projects were easy, just take your time and be gentle.

- Sold, Red 81' GS650
- Sold, Black 81' CM400T
Unread
  (#9)
Slow as a turtle...

December 15, 2016, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marc0011 View Post
If you have access to the tool that looks like pliers with suction cups on the top and bottom, it's a 15 minute job.
Does anyone has access to this tool with suction cups on top and bottom? If so, it'll make the life and this DIY a lot easier.

Thanks

Unread
  (#10)
Slow as a turtle...

December 15, 2016, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnbell View Post
I did my iPhone 6 in like 20 minutes i believe; just keep track of the screws. I used a magnet to hold and keep them for rolling off the table.

I replaced a screen on my iPhone 5 too... both projects were easy, just take your time and be gentle.
Yeah, magnetic cup or magnet sounds like a great idea. Thanks for the tip.

Unread
  (#11)
Stop light racer...

December 15, 2016, 09:29 AM

Honestly I removed the screen on my iPhone 5 three times and on my iPhone 6 once and never used anything besides the single hand suction cup. It works fine.

If you were doing this daily the double suction cup would probably be a nice tool to have, but its unnecessary for this one time affair.

- Sold, Red 81' GS650
- Sold, Black 81' CM400T
Unread
  (#12)
Your Ad Here

December 15, 2016, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Honestly I removed the screen on my iPhone 5 three times and on my iPhone 6 once and never used anything besides the single hand suction cup. It works fine. If you were doing this daily the double suction cup would probably be a nice tool to have, but its unnecessary for this one time affair.
3x on the 5? What are you doing to your phones? I'm 4 iPhones in at this point I've never had to remove the screen once.

Unread
  (#13)
Stop light racer...

December 15, 2016, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heist View Post
3x on the 5? What are you doing to your phones? I'm 4 iPhones in at this point I've never had to remove the screen once.
HAHAHAHA!

I was kinda waiting for that...

Well i broke the screen twice, (I think the cheap glass replacements on Ebay aren't as tough, because it broke so easily) The 3rd time was to replace a faulty home button.

- Sold, Red 81' GS650
- Sold, Black 81' CM400T
Unread
  (#14)
Slow as a turtle...

December 16, 2016, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Honestly I removed the screen on my iPhone 5 three times and on my iPhone 6 once and never used anything besides the single hand suction cup. It works fine.

If you were doing this daily the double suction cup would probably be a nice tool to have, but its unnecessary for this one time affair.
Cool, I'll make sure am being patient and gentle for hopefully first and last time. Because else I'll break the phone