DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 536
2 members and 534 guests
beatle, GRN96WS6
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Non-Sportbike Forums > Non-Sportbike Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools
Question for CO skiers
Unread
  (#1)
God of the Gaps

Question for CO skiers - March 4, 2015, 10:42 AM

I'm going to be in CO next week, and will be skiing for 3 days. I used to live in UT, so I'm familiar with western skiing/terrain (was also out at Squaw Valley and Alpine Meadows 2 weeks ago), I've just never skied in CO.

Staying in Frisco, so we're close to a bunch of resorts. My original plan was to do Breckenridge, Keystone, and Loveland. I know people that love A-Basin, and sort of convinced me to skip Keystone and do A-Basin the second day, but I'm still trying to figure out where to ski.

Current thinking is day 1: Breckenridge, day 2: Vail, day 3: still up in the air. Back to Breck? Copper/A-Basin/Keystone/Loveland?

Looking for suggestions.

I'm an advanced skier, and will have my 13 year old snowboarding son with me. He's good, but I'm not taking him on any hikes/double black/expert terrain, so not really concerned with who has the steepest steeps and toughest terrain.

Where should I ski?
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#2)
I got nuthin

March 4, 2015, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cripes View Post
I'm going to be in CO next week, and will be skiing for 3 days. I used to live in UT, so I'm familiar with western skiing/terrain (was also out at Squaw Valley and Alpine Meadows 2 weeks ago), I've just never skied in CO.

Staying in Frisco, so we're close to a bunch of resorts. My original plan was to do Breckenridge, Keystone, and Loveland. I know people that love A-Basin, and sort of convinced me to skip Keystone and do A-Basin the second day, but I'm still trying to figure out where to ski.

Current thinking is day 1: Breckenridge, day 2: Vail, day 3: still up in the air. Back to Breck? Copper/A-Basin/Keystone/Loveland?

Looking for suggestions.

I'm an advanced skier, and will have my 13 year old snowboarding son with me. He's good, but I'm not taking him on any hikes/double black/expert terrain, so not really concerned with who has the steepest steeps and toughest terrain.

Where should I ski?
A Basin and Loveland are two of my favorites out there. Steamboat is my a favorite, but I'm partial to Steamboat cause I lived there for two years.

R.I.P. Jeff Vega

1983 Honda XR80
1989 Honda Rebel 250
1983 Yamaha Maxim 750
1986 Honda Shadow 700
2002 Ducati Monster Dark 600
2007 Suzuki GSXR 600
2011 HD Sportster 1200 Custom
2001 Suzuki SV 650
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to Taty  
Unread
  (#3)
GP Racer

March 4, 2015, 11:06 AM

as cliche as it may be i still like the vail bowls the best. at least for me, powder bowls are the most different/rewarding experience about riding out west. I went out early this season and did primarily loveland, but only because it was closer (to denver) and much cheaper. This year's winter trip i was more focused on hiking than skiing.
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#4)
GP Racer

March 4, 2015, 11:09 AM

I am not a fan of Breck at all. Too crowded, and just not fun for me.

That being said, I love ABasin, its a super fun mountain with a lot of snow, and really has that cool feel too it. It is not a big resort, but has some amazing terrain if fully open.

What days of the week are you going to be in town? If you are planning on skiing the weekend I would not even consider going to Breck. During the week any of the resorts will be pretty empty. Vail is still my favorite mountain on the Epic pass with deep pow, if you don't have fresh snow it will still be fun, it's just a huge place, but everything is expensive their. $40 to park etc.

Last year I had the Epic Local pass, and this year I have the Winter Park/ Copper Pass.

I really like Copper on the weekends, its empty compared to Breck/Keystone/Vail. If you want another nice place that is fairly empty try Beaver Creek/arrowhead.

This is the last year I plan on really skiing the resorts though, Hiking is more fun and I get better snow. The resorts just get annoying riding packed/skied out runs.
Unread
  (#5)
I'm a llama again!

March 4, 2015, 11:16 AM

I loved Copper not crowed and lots of great runs. But that is the only one I can attest to Copper.

Yeah I am old enough to know better. Thing is, I just don't care.
Unread
  (#6)
Traction Control

March 4, 2015, 11:39 AM

Copper is good, if you buy 10 gals of gas at shell they give you a buy one get one free lift ticket coupon

I do breck most weekends. If you do it right you can avoid crowds. just avoid the lifts at peak 8 as much as possible. lifts at peak 7 can suck sometimes too. Peak 9 and 10 are usually empty. Chair 6 and Imperial lifts have great terrain and are crowded on powder days, they also won't be too extreme for your son. unstrapping and hiking at the top of the imperial lift will be though

Do you or your son do Park? If so, Keystone and Breck are world class. Copper is a close 3rd for terrain parks.

Vail is a good choice, bring your wallet. Go to the back bowls, get lost

Abasin is great for spring riding and powder riding. The lifts are slow and there's not as much terrain. Although, it's the only one of the resorts that's mostly above treeline, very unique experience. Worth it if you want a more relaxed day with nice views. You can also point to the expert level terrain without having to actually ride it, so your son can at least see what the crazy stuff looks like

KTM RC8R
KTM RC390 race
Yamaha R6 race
Honda CRF50 mini

Last edited by Tecknojoe; March 4, 2015 at 11:46 AM..
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to Tecknojoe  
Unread
  (#7)
God of the Gaps

March 4, 2015, 11:46 AM

Skiing Friday-Sunday, so will hit Breck on Friday, Vail on Saturday. You're thinking Copper on Sunday shouldn't be too crowded? We're Flying in Wednesday, so could technically ski Thursday, but I wanted to use that day in Frisco to acclimate to the higher altitude. Last time I flew into SLC, I drove right up to Deer Valley and hit it hard, and it kicked my ass.

I didn't have a problem with the altitude in Squaw, but even up at the top of Siberia we were still just under 9k feet. 12k plus is a whole different animal.
Unread
  (#8)
Traction Control

March 4, 2015, 11:47 AM

also, if you try to drive from the mtns to denver on sunday afternoon, you're fucked

KTM RC8R
KTM RC390 race
Yamaha R6 race
Honda CRF50 mini
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to Tecknojoe  
Unread
  (#9)
God of the Gaps

March 4, 2015, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tecknojoe View Post
Copper is good, if you buy 10 gals of gas at shell they give you a buy one get one free lift ticket coupon

I do breck most weekends. If you do it right you can avoid crowds. just avoid the lifts at peak 8 as much as possible. lifts at peak 7 can suck sometimes too. Peak 9 and 10 are usually empty. Chair 6 and Imperial lifts have great terrain and are crowded on powder days, they also won't be too extreme for your son. unstrapping and hiking at the top of the imperial lift will be though

Do you or your son do Park? If so, Keystone and Breck are world class. Copper is a close 3rd for terrain parks.

Vail is a good choice, bring your wallet. Go to the back bowls, get lost

Abasin is great for spring riding and powder riding. The lifts are slow and there's not as much terrain. Although, it's the only one of the resorts that's mostly above treeline, very unique experience. Worth it if you want a more relaxed day with nice views. You can also point to the expert level terrain without having to actually ride it, so your son can at least see what the crazy stuff looks like
My son does the parks, but he's not up to the level of hitting the huge jumps yet. We'll definitely take some time to go through a couple though.

Chair 6 looks like it has some fun stuff coming off it. That one was definitely on my list. Planned on making our way over to Peak 6 too. Worth it if we're not hiking to the top, and just skiing the stuff off the lift? It looks like the easiest way to give him an introduction to the above tree line/bowl experience, without having to worry about the terrain. Peaks 9 and 10 look good to me.
Unread
  (#10)
God of the Gaps

March 4, 2015, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tecknojoe View Post
also, if you try to drive from the mtns to denver on sunday afternoon, you're fucked

F. Hadn't thought about that. Oh well, we don't fly out until Monday.
Unread
  (#11)
GP Racer

March 4, 2015, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cripes View Post
My son does the parks, but he's not up to the level of hitting the huge jumps yet. We'll definitely take some time to go through a couple though.

Chair 6 looks like it has some fun stuff coming off it. That one was definitely on my list. Planned on making our way over to Peak 6 too. Worth it if we're not hiking to the top, and just skiing the stuff off the lift? It looks like the easiest way to give him an introduction to the above tree line/bowl experience, without having to worry about the terrain. Peaks 9 and 10 look good to me.
Chair 6 definitely has some nice terrain, as does Peak 6,10, and Imperial bowl. I liked to stay in the trees on 10 as that was usually fairly empty. Peak 8 and most of 9 get super busy, as does 7. I just really don't like Breck, but that's just me.

Joe is right, Sunday traffic is awful if you leave between 2-5pm. I've had good luck leaving before 2, and after 5. If its a snowy Sunday be prepared to drive 3-4hrs+ Frisco - Denver. On really bad days we usually avoid 70 and take 285 back. It adds about 30min to the drive but I haven't had to deal with any traffic on 285 yet.

If you want to park at the base of the mountain and really be able to ski to your car go to ABasin, and get their early to park on the "Beach" bring some beers a grill and just enjoy the day. I really really like ABasin.

Edit- Now that I've got a splitboard and skins I just prefer doing backcountry instead. I also like to skin up at 6am w/ my dog to get some fresh runs in before the lifts open.

Last edited by SSLow3; March 4, 2015 at 12:47 PM..
Unread
  (#12)
GP Racer

March 4, 2015, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSLow3 View Post
This is the last year I plan on really skiing the resorts though, Hiking is more fun and I get better snow. The resorts just get annoying riding packed/skied out runs.
Ski the Flatirons! Pair Descends Boulder’s Iconic Landmark - Climbing | Climbing
Unread
  (#13)
God of the Gaps

March 6, 2015, 02:16 PM

F that.
Unread
  (#14)
Sewing Machine Rider

March 6, 2015, 03:43 PM

Personally I would ditch Summit county and go south, but I don't really deal with Summit on the weekends anymore unless there's a bunch of snow. The central and southern mountains have been getting hammered lately and plus you don't have to deal with the crowds. I went to Monarch last weekend and Mirkwood was DEEP (and it stayed that way all day because they don't have 30k people on the mtn).

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSLow3 View Post
Edit- Now that I've got a splitboard and skins I just prefer doing backcountry instead. I also like to skin up at 6am w/ my dog to get some fresh runs in before the lifts open.
Let me know if you want to get out sometime. I'm headed up to Jenny Lind tomorrow with the pooch and some other folks, but we try to get out on the weekends a couple times a month, especially if there's not fresh in-bounds. AIARE 1/beacon/etc required for the steeper stuff...

Last edited by big_sur; March 6, 2015 at 03:50 PM..
Unread
  (#15)
Site Owner

March 7, 2015, 11:14 AM

Are you going next weekend? I'll be out at Copper with Grandmaster_B (who has lived out there for almost a decade - he lives in Frisco) next weekend. Fly out there Fri morning fly back Mon .

(O|||||||O) and (0OO\(||||)(||||)/OO0)

Help support DCSportbikes.net! Become a Premier Member today!

Katie #135.

Nudist: If Ben isnt still riding me, then I need it
B: that sounds odd
  Facebook Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to ClemsonJeeper