DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 637
4 members and 633 guests
GRN96WS6, Nobrains, Scot, tonetone
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Non-Sportbike Forums > Non-Sportbike Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools
Question for the computer nerds
Unread
  (#1)
When in Rome...

Question for the computer nerds - October 12, 2006, 01:19 PM

I know a bunch of people on this forum are really into computers or work in IT, so I thought you might be able to help me out. I'm building a dual monitor pc and I want to know if I can run XP on one monitor and then OS X on the other. Really I'm not a computer guy at all and I just like the idea of having the os x interface to do all my music and movies while I work on the other monitor. So a skin would be just fine for my purposes. I also want to be able to turn off the skin or emulator or whatever it is that I'm using, so that I can work with the same look on both monitors if necessary.

Finally, is there anything I need to consider when building this computer? I'm thinking about a NVIDIA GeForce 7600GS 256MB Dual DVI graphics card, Intel Core 2 Duo 2.13 GHz processor, two gateway 19" HD widescreen monitors, 500 GB hard drive, 2048 MB PC5300 dual-channel DDR2 667MHz SDRAM. Will that about cut it as far as hardware goes? (I'm not a gamer and I don't do video editing or anything - just analytical software and music stuff, so I think I can get away with that processor).

bikesnobnyc.blogspot.com

www.howtoavoidthebummerlife.com
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#2)
Rocket girl

October 12, 2006, 01:21 PM

Sound like a computer guy to me....

Angie
05 GSX-R 600 sold

I will be back on 2!!!!
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to angiegsxr 600 Send a message via MSN to angiegsxr 600  
Unread
  (#3)
Put yo mouth on the curb!

October 12, 2006, 01:22 PM

You could do this using VMware or something similar to emulate a second OS in a window and place that one on the other screen. Also will that one video card do dual head by itself? You may need two vid cards.

Greg

2003 SV650
1990 FZR 400 - Sold

Unread
  (#4)
When in Rome...

October 12, 2006, 01:26 PM

yeah, it will do dual head by itself.

bikesnobnyc.blogspot.com

Unread
  (#5)
When in Rome...

October 12, 2006, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by angiegsxr 600
Sound like a computer guy to me....
it's easy to sound like an expert when you're sitting here looking at the gateway order summary page.

bikesnobnyc.blogspot.com

Unread
  (#6)
Signed up for Track Days!

October 12, 2006, 01:34 PM

I suggest using VMware as well. I use this all day long for different evironments at work. It's pretty solid.
Unread
  (#7)
Rocket girl

October 12, 2006, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DcDesmo
it's easy to sound like an expert when you're sitting here looking at the gateway order summary page.
yeah I know what you mean!!!

Angie
05 GSX-R 600 sold

I will be back on 2!!!!
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to angiegsxr 600 Send a message via MSN to angiegsxr 600  
Unread
  (#8)
opossum puncher

October 12, 2006, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xechs
You could do this using VMware or something similar to emulate a second OS in a window and place that one on the other screen. Also will that one video card do dual head by itself? You may need two vid cards.

VMware, is a good option, round $100, it will emulate a second os. Just actually bought some VMware for a client

-
Attack Life! It's going to kill you anyway.

08 Z1000

Go Hokies!
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to zx6rfool  
Unread
  (#9)
Site ADMIN

October 12, 2006, 01:46 PM

VMWare FTW!

This post was prepared as a service to the DCSportbikes.net community. Neither the DCSportbikes.net ADMINS nor any of the moderators, makes any warranty, expressed or implied, or assumes any legal liability or responsibility for the accuracy, completeness, or usefulness of any information, product, link, or process disclosed, or represents that its use would not infringe privately owned rights. Reference herein to any specific commercial products, process, or service by trade name, trademark manufacturer, or otherwise, does not necessarily constitute or imply its endorsement, recommendation, or favoring by DCSportbikes.net. The opinions of this author expressed herein do not necessarily state or reflect those of the DCSportbikes.net community, and shall not be used for advertising or product endorsement purposes.
__________________________________________________ ________

Alex
13 Honda Fury
  Facebook Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to spud Send a message via MSN to spud  
Unread
  (#10)
Officially Addicted to Posting

October 12, 2006, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DcDesmo
I know a bunch of people on this forum are really into computers or work in IT, so I thought you might be able to help me out. I'm building a dual monitor pc and I want to know if I can run XP on one monitor and then OS X on the other. Really I'm not a computer guy at all and I just like the idea of having the os x interface to do all my music and movies while I work on the other monitor. So a skin would be just fine for my purposes. I also want to be able to turn off the skin or emulator or whatever it is that I'm using, so that I can work with the same look on both monitors if necessary.

Finally, is there anything I need to consider when building this computer? I'm thinking about a NVIDIA GeForce 7600GS 256MB Dual DVI graphics card, Intel Core 2 Duo 2.13 GHz processor, two gateway 19" HD widescreen monitors, 500 GB hard drive, 2048 MB PC5300 dual-channel DDR2 667MHz SDRAM. Will that about cut it as far as hardware goes? (I'm not a gamer and I don't do video editing or anything - just analytical software and music stuff, so I think I can get away with that processor).
honestly, id buy a mac and a PC and put the monitors next to each other. Analytical software, movies, music...they can be run on that setup -one at a time-. You want to run two seperate operating systems at the same time while doing heavy processing on both....easiest thing would be to buy two computers or one MONSTER machine. Id say the setup youre looking at is a little above average for todays standards. Again, good enough for one at a time, but thats stretching it if you want to do it all at once. If youre set on running this on one computer, i wouldnt look at anything less than 4Gb RAM, and a SATA 3Gb/s drive, but thats from my expierence.
Unread
  (#11)
When in Rome...

October 12, 2006, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris2
honestly, id buy a mac and a PC and put the monitors next to each other. Analytical software, movies, music...they can be run on that setup -one at a time-. You want to run two seperate operating systems at the same time while doing heavy processing on both....easiest thing would be to buy two computers or one MONSTER machine. Id say the setup youre looking at is a little above average for todays standards. Again, good enough for one at a time, but thats stretching it if you want to do it all at once. If youre set on running this on one computer, i wouldnt look at anything less than 4Gb RAM, and a SATA 3Gb/s drive, but thats from my expierence.
could I set this up to be functionally the same as it would be with one machine? I.e. I can still put my XP on both screens and use excel and something else and drag things across the two monitors, then switch it and run my iEverything stuff when I only need one monitor running windows? I could probably buy an adequate desktop and a really cheap mac that was only for music stuff and come out about the same as far as expenditure. But the VMware seems like it would be more straightforward since I want to switch things around pretty frequently.

Also - my skins idea (something like windowblinds) - will that not work if I just want to pretend I'm running OS X on the one monitor? Since I'm new to a dual monitor setup, I wasn't sure if you could run a skin on one and not the other.

bikesnobnyc.blogspot.com

Unread
  (#12)
Signed up for Track Days!

October 12, 2006, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris2
It truly depends on what and how much he is trying to run on each OS. His work could just consitute email and the web which wouldn't take much processing power or memory. Meanwhile he's watching a movie and/or listening to music on the VMware. Not really intensive at all.

I run some fairly intensive stuff on my cpu and vmware and I have a 2.8GB processor with 1.5 gb RAM. Never had a problem.

I'm sure he'd be fine with 1.5-2 GB RAM. But more never hurts.
Unread
  (#13)
When in Rome...

October 12, 2006, 02:16 PM

the thing is, for anything work related that is really intensive, I'd be using both monitors in a windows setting most likely. The OS X thing will be primarily for fun - when I'm not running super intensive stuff. I'm pretty sure that the vmware option would work, now I want to know if I even have to do that to just skin one of the monitors to look like osx?

bikesnobnyc.blogspot.com

Unread
  (#14)
Got my Permit

October 12, 2006, 02:27 PM

I think the VMware option will suit you best. This will allow you to run XP as the base operating system, the OS X stuff can run in VMware on a window that you can manipulate like any other program so you can drag applications on both screens.

1-2 GB RAM

Duo core 2 processor, or Dual CPU's would be nice.

at least 512MB VRAM (I just worked on a PC with 1GB of video memory - NVIDIA GeForce 7200 Gx2-I think that's what it was)
Unread
  (#15)
I'm an Asshole

October 12, 2006, 02:31 PM

LET ME DROP SOME KNOWLEDGE!!!

VMWare will not work. At least not currently. Up until about a year ago macs and pc's ran on two different kinds of chips (macs not supported by vmware). Now that macs have made the switch, VMWare has commited to making a product for them... BUT its still in development. Read here http://www.vmware.com/news/releases/mac.html

Now, until that's released. There are two comercial products if you chose to go the emulation route. Virtual PC 7, and Parallels. Emulation will allow you to run Windows on top of a Mac (not vice versa). BUT OSX WILL NOT RUN ON YOUR BUILT MACHINE. Apple is a hardware company and they only want OSX to run on THEIR hardware. For this reason, and because emulation sucks period if you're trying to be productive, is why emulation will not work for you.

Now, you have two options. Buy a Mac (I recommend this) or use an OSX theme for Windows. If you're set on building your own machine, then the theme route is the only way to go. You cannot do themes by monitors. You only get one theme. This will give you a ghetto version of the OSX look, and by ghetto I mean pretty lame (i haven't seen any windows themes that come close to the OSX gui). But, it's not gonna cost you anything more.

However whenever anyone wants to buy a new computer I tell them to buy a mac. For you its no different. You will probably spend more on building your machine that you would if you bought a beautiful, factory warranty'd, real deal hollyfield iMac. http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPL...1F78&nclm=iMac
The 24" is garaunteed to be eye catching and impressive for when you have guests over. It will trick them into thinking you're classy and smart. PLUS, with this option EMULATION WILL WORK. You won't be losing any money or performance as Macs have the fastest desktop cpu's out right now (core duo 2).

Let me also say that if the looks is what grabs you about OSX you'll be much more pleased with the actual interface and usability. My real recommendation would be to do all your work from your mac.

In closing. The only way to run OSX is to buy a Mac, or get a ghetto theme for Windows that will work on BOTH monitors.

If you can read this, give me a red dot
If you get mad when I type, do us both a favor.

Some recent rep I have been given:
-U-R-Gay (unsigned)
-you dont even ride you troll (unsigned)
-you are now 115% gay, ghey, and ghay (unsigned)

Last edited by griffindj; October 12, 2006 at 02:34 PM..
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to griffindj Send a message via Skype™ to griffindj