DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 568
4 members and 564 guests
davidcycle, GRN96WS6, Speed3, TTViper
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Non-Sportbike Forums > Non-Sportbike Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools
Question for Dog Owners...Head Tremors
Unread
  (#1)
Brainwash Your Face!

Question for Dog Owners...Head Tremors - June 24, 2008, 04:38 PM

Hey fellow dog owners, have any of your dogs ever experienced head tremors?

In the past few days Beans has been having, what we found out after a little goggling, head tremors. A head tremor is where he is basically shaking his head like he is going "no no no no" but if you call his name he can focus on you, he wags his tail, he runs to you but his head is still tremoring, he is still "noraml" acting aside from the tremor. His episodes last anywhere from 5 seconds to 30 seconds.

So we basically did alot of online research last night. I am just curious if any of you had any experience with this issue, what was the cause (we found there are several), and what was the treatment (also several pending the cuase.)

Frank and BEANS!!!!

"Someone should donkey punch that bitch with a waffle iron then upload the video to World Star Hip Hop" ~.Nets Resident Chivalrous Gentlemen Stillie

RIP KATIE RIP BAMBAM RIP VEGA
Gasoline by The Bouncing Souls
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hOxc2cM75NI

Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#2)
Spike

June 24, 2008, 04:40 PM

1, that pic is obscene!!

2, saw this on Animal Planet, could be a serious condition, take him to the vet. Could be mild seizure, could be a condition in the spinal cord or could be you have a dog with a LOT of personality. Better safe than sorry!!!

RIP Greg Walker, I will never forget you

If everybody thought before they spoke, the silence would be deafening
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via ICQ to jtatooz Send a message via Yahoo to jtatooz Send a message via AIM to jtatooz Send a message via Skype™ to jtatooz 
Unread
  (#3)
I wanna Ride !

June 24, 2008, 04:46 PM

We have this issue with Orrie after he's had a Grand Mal seizure and is starting to come around.

BTW, it's best to record the action when it's happening so that you can show it to the vet if you decide to go

Last edited by creyzeiz; June 24, 2008 at 04:49 PM..
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#4)
Brainwash Your Face!

June 24, 2008, 04:52 PM

We read it could be from something that they grow out of, as it is common in bully breeds to serious.

I am keeping an eye on him, thus why I am not going to TWT tonight. Rather hang with him and see if he does it again.

Other than telling me NO, he still being his goofy self.

"Someone should donkey punch that bitch with a waffle iron then upload the video to World Star Hip Hop" ~.Nets Resident Chivalrous Gentlemen Stillie

Unread
  (#5)
No! You!

June 24, 2008, 04:52 PM

I don't know much about your dogs breed, but I've heard that head tremors are related to seizures.

Have the vet rule out other problems...like ear infection (sometimes causes the head to shake) before they diagnose a seizure.

Also, you may want to get a second opinion. A vet told me that my cat had a clot in his leg due to having a serious heart problem. I took him to another vet and it turns out it was a broken femur, not his heart. Had I listened to the first vet, I would have had to put my cat to sleep!

Miami Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bexxx
I slapped him in the forehead for being vulgar (I'm a lady, dammit).
Unread
  (#6)
Officially Addicted to Posting

June 24, 2008, 04:54 PM

This is a condition common in Bulldog and Boxer breeds. From what we've read, while there is no difinitively known cause for this, it does not seem to harm the dogs at all. As sharon mentioned other than the occassional tremors, he is perfectly fine. Some have attributed this to hormones, low blood sugar, heating (in females). Some have noted that the tremors eventually stopped (at 11 months, at 18 months, at 2 years). From what we have read epilepsy and seizures are rare occurances with dogs. If you give him some cheese or a raw hide, the tremors immediately stop. They also say they will usually appear as the dog is relaxed (e.g. laying down or in an otherwise calm state). Here is exactly what it looks like:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=39daI...eature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LzXiv...eature=related

Last edited by JTG40cal; June 24, 2008 at 04:57 PM..
Unread
  (#7)
Brainwash Your Face!

June 24, 2008, 04:56 PM

Exactly, we read that it could be related to an ear infection but he has not been pawing at his ears.

http://www.bulldogsworld.com/headtremor.html

Unread
  (#8)
No! You!

June 24, 2008, 05:15 PM

I read the information you posted.... awwww. Poor little guy.

I guess this is common with his breed. The article said not to treat with seizure/epilepsy meds and I would agree (not that I'm a vet) but those types of meds are strong. To be safe, you may want to do some blood work to make sure everything is ok...and rule out simple problems (like an ear infection, etc).

Maybe you can ask his breeder if his other dogs have had the same issue and other related questions....

Miami Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bexxx
I slapped him in the forehead for being vulgar (I'm a lady, dammit).
Unread
  (#9)
Asleep at the wheel!

June 24, 2008, 05:40 PM

Damn that sucks. I think the first step is the have the vet check him out. I read some of that article and laughed when they recommended "Give them a bowl of ice cream or frozen vanilla yogurt with honey to get the situation under control". My beagles would figure out how to shake their head on purpose after that.

'82 Honda CB750 f Supersport
'03 Suzuki SV650s
'05 Yamaha TTR 125 LE
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to SquirrelHead Send a message via AIM to SquirrelHead Send a message via MSN to SquirrelHead Send a message via Skype™ to SquirrelHead 
Unread
  (#10)
Still here

June 24, 2008, 05:45 PM

I have an ear infection at the moment...no head tremours yet though

Seriously...I'd be running him to the vet. I hate to see animals not acting "right". Hope he's just fine. My ear infection is why I'm missing TWT

02 1100 VStar

I've got a bike and I ride it year round. Nuff said

.Net - Those that care, post.
Those that don't care, seem to post too.
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to vstargidget Send a message via AIM to vstargidget  
Unread
  (#11)
Meh

June 24, 2008, 06:41 PM

Too many lattes.

Actually my friend Golden had epilepsy but they were much more severe than the youtube video posted.
Unread
  (#12)
Officially Addicted to Posting

June 24, 2008, 07:48 PM

Epilepsy and seizures are highly unlikely considering that the dog retains all other motor function. In fact he can walk around, perfectly alert and cognizant of his surroundings, but his head will shake as in the videos. This only last about 15-30 seconds and is occuring once every few days. As I mentioned it is usually when he is relaxed. I spoke with the breeder, who is extrememly knowledgeable of the breed, and he said that this becoming more and more prevelant in all dogs (although it is more common in bulldog and boxer breeds). He said he has noticed in some females when they are whelping. As we read, he confirmed that it could be attributed to shifting hormones as well as deficiencies (low blood sugar, calcium, etc.). He also confirmed that while it may scare the owners, it has not been known to harm the dogs in any way. He said dogs are strange when it comes to these things (e.g., females losing the hair on one side of their body during their first or second heat cycle). This could disappear entirely or it could come and go, but as long as its not harming him, we arent going to worry too much about it.
Unread
  (#13)
Brainwash Your Face!

June 24, 2008, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackHatch
Too many lattes.

Actually my friend Golden had epilepsy but they were much more severe than the youtube video posted.
He better not be drinking my joe when we are not home!

Unread
  (#14)
The last urrbendah

June 24, 2008, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boomchic00
Exactly, we read that it could be related to an ear infection but he has not been pawing at his ears.

http://www.bulldogsworld.com/headtremor.html
One of my huskies used to get ear infections all the time and did something similar to what you described yet never pawed her ears.

13 KTM 200 XC-W
15 KTM 350 XC-F

I might have a dirt bike problem.
Unread
  (#15)
Agitator

June 24, 2008, 08:21 PM

I get a head twitch...MRI and eeg and they still don't know what it is

Marc
CCS Amateur #851
2001 Ducati 850RS