DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 474
4 members and 470 guests
2blueyam, davidcycle, nootherids, Sal_the_man
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Non-Sportbike Forums > Non-Sportbike Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools
Question for import tuners - kinda
Unread
  (#1)
Officially Addicted to Posting

Question for import tuners - kinda - November 30, 2007, 09:36 AM

My brother currently drives a 2003 Honda Accord EX and is looking to upgrade his headlights. Honestly, he doesnt know much about this stuff and really neither do I, but he says his lamps are really weak. I thought the Accords ran off of OEM H.I.Ds, but I could be wrong. Anyways, Im thinking about hooking him up for Christmas, but im not sure which way to go. I definitely dont want to get him a set of $20 APC bulbs, but I also dont want to spend $150 on a pair of high end H.I.Ds either. Can anyone recommend a simple solution to his factory set up? Would he be better of just replacing the entire housing or are there decent off-the-shelf bulbs that he can just replace his OEM bulbs with? Also, would I be looking at replacing both the low and the highs? Thanks!

I'm not a leg humper... but I'm super attracted to how fucking stupid she is! - wildjester

Castle: rob, potbelly, stat. i brought the bike, wanna ride 2 up??
ClemsonJeeper: omg i'm in now!
Castle: fvck, did i just put that in the sb?
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#2)
Asstastic

November 30, 2007, 09:47 AM

Home Depot has a great sale on some MagLites and duct tape!

http://www.youtube.com/view_play_lis...844F779ADF89CA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WNDlf6hA6TY

Michael Collins: You are the baddest mo-fo low down around this side of town!!
Whip some ass!!
B.J. Penn: Sho-nuff!
Unread
  (#3)
Like a clown car on fire

November 30, 2007, 10:03 AM

Well, your options are as follows:

replace the bulb with a brighter/ higher quality halogen bulb of the same wattage. if you go this way, i'd recommend the sylvania silverstars, they are very good for the price. cost is around $30-$50, more if you go with piaa's.

Replace the bulb with a brighter/ higher quality halogen bulb with a higher wattage bulb. If yo do this you run the risk of melting the light housing, melting and shorting the wires, blowing fuses, etc. Not really recommended, but you can get away with it if the bump in wattage isn't too great. same price as above.

Replace the bulb with a Xenon/ HID bulb. This will produce a drastic change in lighting color temperature as well as brightness, especially when looking at the car from outside. The problem with this route is that the stock reflector and lens is not designed for HID buld and will not give you good focused light spread... Depending on the car, it may turn out looking better or worse than stock lights in terms of lighting the road, or it can blind oncoming cars, etc.... it will still look bitchin when looking at the car itself. You'd need to get a ballast and igniter for each bulb since they run off a much higher voltage, some extra wiring is required. This will run you between $100 and $200 (for only low beams)

Replace the entire light housing with an aftermarket HID housings designed to fit in the car and properly focus and HID bulb. kits should come with bulbs, ballasts, etc. moderate retrofit is necessary. Cost probably starts at around $300

From your question I'd recommend either the 1st or 3rd option. search the internet for reports of people replacing their bulbs only with HID ones on that car and see how it turned out. If it was decent, you can go that route easily enough. If he doesn't know a lot about cars and their wiring, I'd stick with replacement halogen bulbs.

General tips: If you buy replacement halogen bulbs, make sure they are not painted or tinted blue, all that does is decrease their light output for the sake of looking "HID-ish". If you are set on upgradign the high beams, do not replace them with HID bulbs, they take a few seconds to warm up properly which is not good for most momentary high beam applications.

Good luck.

-Chloroform-
For when she doesn't know she wants it.
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to Thwack  
Unread
  (#4)
Officially Addicted to Posting

November 30, 2007, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thwack
Well, your options are as follows:

replace the bulb with a brighter/ higher quality halogen bulb of the same wattage. if you go this way, i'd recommend the sylvania silverstars, they are very good for the price. cost is around $30-$50, more if you go with piaa's.

Replace the bulb with a brighter/ higher quality halogen bulb with a higher wattage bulb. If yo do this you run the risk of melting the light housing, melting and shorting the wires, blowing fuses, etc. Not really recommended, but you can get away with it if the bump in wattage isn't too great. same price as above.

Replace the bulb with a Xenon/ HID bulb. This will produce a drastic change in lighting color temperature as well as brightness, especially when looking at the car from outside. The problem with this route is that the stock reflector and lens is not designed for HID buld and will not give you good focused light spread... Depending on the car, it may turn out looking better or worse than stock lights in terms of lighting the road, or it can blind oncoming cars, etc.... it will still look bitchin when looking at the car itself. You'd need to get a ballast and igniter for each bulb since they run off a much higher voltage, some extra wiring is required. This will run you between $100 and $200 (for only low beams)

Replace the entire light housing with an aftermarket HID housings designed to fit in the car and properly focus and HID bulb. kits should come with bulbs, ballasts, etc. moderate retrofit is necessary. Cost probably starts at around $300

From your question I'd recommend either the 1st or 3rd option. search the internet for reports of people replacing their bulbs only with HID ones on that car and see how it turned out. If it was decent, you can go that route easily enough. If he doesn't know a lot about cars and their wiring, I'd stick with replacement halogen bulbs.

General tips: If you buy replacement halogen bulbs, make sure they are not painted or tinted blue, all that does is decrease their light output for the sake of looking "HID-ish". If you are set on upgradign the high beams, do not replace them with HID bulbs, they take a few seconds to warm up properly which is not good for most momentary high beam applications.

Good luck.
Thanks Thwack. Thats info I was looking for. I figured replacing the entire housing would be $$$ I was doing some digging and have actually seen a lot of good reviews on the Silverstars. Ill keep looking around for bulb replacements. Like I said, he doesnt really care about looking cool driving down the road so he doesnt really need an expensive new H.ID. setup, but I figured if Im going to replace what he currently has, I could at least look into getting him something better than whats in there now.

I'm not a leg humper... but I'm super attracted to how fucking stupid she is! - wildjester

Castle: rob, potbelly, stat. i brought the bike, wanna ride 2 up??
ClemsonJeeper: omg i'm in now!
Castle: fvck, did i just put that in the sb?