DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 581
7 members and 574 guests
BigDaddyShoo, davidcycle, GRN96WS6, nootherids, Sal_the_man, Slider, tonetone
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Non-Sportbike Forums > Non-Sportbike Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools
A question for LEO's
Unread
  (#1)
Posting Nothing Relevant

A question for LEO's - April 30, 2008, 11:51 AM

so i have seen situation a few times, and am just wondering what would happen if i refused, not violently, not being an ass, just said "No officer, I will not. I believe I have done nothing wrong and that I am being harassed." so here is the situation.

this happened to me a few years ago...

I arrive a Bungalows in Cascades around 9pm in my RX7 w/ an exhaust, but registered in North Carolina where that exhaust is legal, plate, inspection, everything on the car is 100% in the state that it is registered. I am in Bungalows for 35-45 minutes w/ a friend, we each have 2 beers and split the 3 tier appetizer, then go out to check out my car. We hop in and back out. As I leave the parking lot a cop car sitting at the back of the lot near Sports Authority follows me. I see him back there and drive cautiously knowing I just left a bar and they probably don't know how long I've been inside. I make a left onto Palisades Pkwy, go through the light, and as I'm approaching the next light they pull me. No at this point I have done nothing wrong, I drove like grandma. Cop comes to the window and asks for the usual, then leaves. Comes back and says that he pulled me because my exhaust is illegal in this state. I explain that my vehicle is registered in N.C. and that it is 100% legal there, I passed inspection with it. He tells me that if I intend to enter into the state of Va that I need to remove it before doing so, now that is COMPLETE B.S.! Then he asks me how much have I had to drink. I tell him 2 beers, he says he thinks I am lying, and asks me to step out of the car. I do and the other cop pulls my friend out makes him lay on the ground and cross his legs. Why? They claim because he is a large man it's for their safety, Andy is 6', 220 lbs, big, but by no means large or intimidating. Andy, has done nothing either. So he shines his light in my eyes, asks me the same questions 18,000 times phrasing them differently, trying to catch me in a lie, he gets nothing. I do the field sobriety test and pass. By this point there are 5 or 6 cop cars and 9-10 cops around us, know I know that after dark the must call for back up, but that is a little beyond. So at this point I am expecting to leave, I again, have done nothing wrong. The cop says that I have to call someone to pick me up, and they have to bring a second person to drive my car. I ask why I'm not drunk. He says he believes that I am. I tell him I would be happy to do a breathalyzer. He tells me that I cannot. I again ask why, and he tells me to stop questioning authority while putting his hand on his baton. I ask him why I was pulled over again, and he claims my exhaust, which I reminded him is legal, then ask him if I failed the field sobriety test. He says no, I passed, but in his judgement I am drunk. So I ask why do I have to be picked up if I have passed all his tests, he refuses to give me a breathalyzer, and he has nothing on my car. He again reaches for his baton and tells me to shut up and make the phone call. I'm pissed and make the call, get picked up and end my night.

So to all you LEOs, what could be have done if I had pressed the issue and refused. I was not drunk, my car was legal, and I was not a threat. What if I had simply said ""No officer, I will not. I believe I have done nothing wrong and that I am being harassed.".

Oh, and this was brought up because the same thing happened to my brother the other night at 11pm, he left work, had not been drinking, and was coming straight home, but he does work at a place that has a bar.

The East Coast Kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossi
This is America I can shit where I want. FREEDOM!!!
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to eck226 Send a message via AIM to eck226  
Unread
  (#2)
> 6'3" need not apply!

April 30, 2008, 12:00 PM

If I was a dog, my hair would be standing up on back right about now.

Answers?

Stacey
Blue 2005 SV650S (totaled)

Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#3)
VTMC Rider

April 30, 2008, 12:09 PM

Yeah I would like to hear the answer to this as well.

Lately I've been getting pulled on the regular down here at VTech and Radford. Never been harassed after they found i wasnt drinking, have an M license and a valid inspection. but usually the pull reasons are pretty weak and imediately followed by: "so how much have you had to drink tonight?"

Riding is good for the soul
- Honda CBR 929rr
- Ducati 1198s
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to MegaTorch7 Send a message via AIM to MegaTorch7  
Unread
  (#4)
Elite Racing

April 30, 2008, 12:15 PM

Loudoun County Sheriffs...........

I had something very similar happen to me. My old Honda CRX, aftermarket exhaust, intake, etc. It was no louder than a Harley, truck or 18 wheeled rig. I was pulled over on Sterling Blvd across from Taco Shmell/McD's. The officer said he heard my exhaust before he saw me, which was BS cause I came up from behind him, in traffic and he had his window up. Ended up getting a ticket for improper exhaust.

Loudoun County Sheriffs...........

Chris
Elite Racing
CCS AM #458

Godspeed Bam Bam

VFR Matt: gotta be a winner at something. Cant reach for the stars mind well be king of suck
tecknojoe: we could get together at my house and mount my trailor
vonstallin: whack one off 4 me henrey
thefitzvh: I'm the assholist asshole that ever assholed
Unread
  (#5)
GP Racer

April 30, 2008, 12:22 PM

I had my car for 2 years. 3in Tubro back has been on it for a little over a year, its loud...but i've only been stopped once and that was for no front plate. Cop just said it sounded kinda loud but didnt get a ticket. I was pulled over driving in HOV by a State Trooper and he didnt say anything either.

I was also doing this Citizens Police thing at the Sheriffs Office in Leesburg, and there were cops their all the time, most just said it sounded good.

btw i drive an SRT4

09 R1
08 Jeep SRT8
06 F350
Unread
  (#6)
Owner & Creator

April 30, 2008, 12:29 PM

I would of called a LEO friend and asked him to pick me up. That would of been something nice to watch.
Unread
  (#7)
GP Racer

April 30, 2008, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carnage
I would of called a LEO friend and asked him to pick me up. That would of been something nice to watch.
Yea and they picked you up in the crusier

09 R1
08 Jeep SRT8
06 F350
Unread
  (#8)
NW DC Rider

April 30, 2008, 12:57 PM

I would have told him to arrest me for DUI or that I would be driving home. It would have made for a great court case.

-Ryan

2007 Yamaha R6 (race)
2003 Yamaha R6 (sold)
CCS #341
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via ICQ to rhouck Send a message via AIM to rhouck Send a message via MSN to rhouck  
Unread
  (#9)
Nubbs ban yourself!

April 30, 2008, 01:20 PM

Many cops have a supiority complex, we all know it and even the LEO's on here, while may not admit it, know it too.
My Mom(who I love dearly) was a cop for 25 years. I have been out with her and I know she could be a real ass from time to time. The thing is they never know if you are one of the good guys or not. They have to have their guard up 100% of the time. A woman 5'4" 120lbs can't show 1 second of weakness.

Unfortunately while you are being questioned, detained, harrassed etc by a cop it is in your best interest to just obey and leave it alone. Afterwards if you want to press legal charges you are free in this country to do so.

If you didn't obey to get out of the car, they would have then had failure to obey an officer.
If you didn't take the dui test, they could under current laws take your license.

I have had friends killed that simply moved and had no bad intentions toward the cop but pressing charges isn't going to bring their life back.
Racial profiling is only 1 piece, Harleys get harrassed, sportbikes get harrassed, foreign cars with loud exhaust get harrassed, long hair gets harrassed (I got this as a kid a lot).
Stay safe, Move on!

Unread
  (#10)
Like a clown car on fire

April 30, 2008, 01:20 PM

Yeah, a lot of times cops will pull people under BS (but technically legal) reasons mainly to check for drunk driving, especially when coming from a bar.

Since your exhaust is illegal in VA he does have the justification to pull you over for it, even if it is legal in NC where it's registered. He has no way of knowing if it's legal in NC or not and can check it out, cal also check if it's registered to you in NC but you have a VA license (to evade VA taxes), so he can legally check it out... Honestly he probably doesn't care about it, he's just checking for drunk driving, happens all the time.

The having your friend step out and sit there w/ his legs crossed is the officer's call, sometimes it happens, sometimes it doesn't, maybe he looked shifty. The having tons of other officers show up is fairly normal if it was a slow night. It's common practice for an officer with no calls, just patrolling, to head in the direction of another officer who'd pulled someone over, in case soemthing happens, they can get over there faster.

Now the wierd part is the not booking you for DWI, but not letting you drive off on your own. You can pass a Field Sobriety Test, even a field breathalizer and still get locked up if the officer believes and can can back up that you were impaired. I'm assuming you had your 2 beers in around and hour or less, which by normal standards puts you right on the borderline between legally drunk and not. Close enough that he could legally arrest you, but but also close enough that in the hour or so it would take to arrest you, take you to lockup, process you and then give you real breathalizer, you'd sober up enough to pass it easily. Only time I've seen that done (no lockup, but he can't drive home) was with a kid under 21 who had had like 1 beer, was obviously not drunk, but legally he could have been arrested.

Remember that if you're borderline, he lets you go and you plow into a bus full of orphans, now he and the department are liable, that's probably the reason for his decision.

So basically no you probably didn't really do anything illegal, but you were probably close enough that if you had been a pain in the ass about it, you would have gotten a ride downtown, had your car towed, and been processed for a couple of hours before they let you go with no charges... and you'd still have no recourse but to complain. It sucks, but it could have been worse.

-Chloroform-
For when she doesn't know she wants it.
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to Thwack  
Unread
  (#11)
Nubbs ban yourself!

April 30, 2008, 01:27 PM

1 story of several in my life.
I was coming out of Bennigans parking lot off of 355 where the bushes restrict your view of 355. I pulled out enough to see and then made the right hand turn.
The car I pulled out in front of was a cop and pulled me over just before Randolph/Montrose road.
Gave me a nice lecture about my driving blah blah blah but was only using it as an excuse to see if I was drinking. At that time I didn't drink much/any as i was on call all the time.
He had nothing and let me go. It was a bogus reason to pull me over as I did stop but it was after the stripes so he had a cow!!!
Unread
  (#12)
Track Ho

April 30, 2008, 01:28 PM

file a complaint

and register your fucking car in Virginia if you live here

"I am officially retired so please don't ban me"
Unread
  (#13)
Posting Nothing Relevant

April 30, 2008, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by r6hokie
file a complaint

and register your fucking car in Virginia if you live here
i was in the army at the time, and was here on leave, i also had an NC license.

complaint was filed, never heard anything. my friend also filed, and didnt hear anything

The East Coast Kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossi
This is America I can shit where I want. FREEDOM!!!
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to eck226 Send a message via AIM to eck226  
Unread
  (#14)
Nubbs ban yourself!

April 30, 2008, 01:37 PM

1 more for ya!
I use to detail/wash cars at Herson Honda off 355 as a teenager.
The trucks would bring in new cars and they needed to have all the plastic pulled, washed etc and we worked on commission.
Lots of times we would get all the keys and at night after the dealership closed we would get them all and work all night cleaning them.
One night someone close by called the cops about a break in.
When they came to check it out they saw 2 of us (a black guy and a guy with hair down the middle of his back) in the parking lot after hours 11pm or later.
My friend was already in a car with the radio blasting.
I was at the hood of a car trying to match keys to cars when I saw 2 people hopping the fence. Too far away to see who they were but I did see guns.
It was about 40 degree out and wet.
The whole time they were coming closer and closer i was thinking they were either going to take the cars since we had keys or they were cops. Couldn't tel which so I couldn't decide to run or not.
When they got close enough to see I felt relieved but then of course they were pointing guns at me yelling to get down get down. They were yelling to my friend who couldn't hear them that they were goin to shoot while I was face down in water and the cold pavement I was yelling to the office don't shoot he can't hear you.

They jerked him out of the car, onto the ground, handcuffed us and called the owner of Hersons and woke him up.

They ended up letting us go and it was a good laugh afterwards but while it was happening if we didn't do everything right it could have turned out differently..

Needless to say the Owner didn't let us do those night jobs anymore!!!

Last edited by n2sport; April 30, 2008 at 02:35 PM..
Unread
  (#15)
Owner & Creator

April 30, 2008, 01:42 PM

Cops are shady NUFF SAID!! Some are, some are not, some like to abuse their power.

I was in DC 2 weeks ago, my hometown where I grew up for almost 17yrs. I was in Chi-town, trying to park. I put my reverse lights on and turn signal on to park. The dumptruck behind me got so close behind me that I couldn't reverse and he was honking for me to move over. I saw a 5'o pull up 2 cars behind the dump truck. He still wasn't trying to go around me so I could park in my spot.

The came out, I said fack it, I decided to drive 2-3 mph on purpose, because I was pissed off. I see the cop come from behind the dump truck, turns his lights on and siren, rolls his windows down and yells "why are you holding up my traffic".... I replied "This isn't your traffic, I had my reverse lights on and was trying to park", rolls his window back up and pulls a Super Trooper move and rolls out.

DC cops I talk back to, VA cops I keep my mouth shut lol, MD cops downshift to 2nd or 3rd.