DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 552
4 members and 548 guests
2blueyam, nootherids, Sal_the_man, Triple X
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Non-Sportbike Forums > Non-Sportbike Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools
Question for you Techie & Gadget Types
Unread
  (#1)
BE ENCOURAGED!

Question for you Techie & Gadget Types - November 23, 2010, 09:35 AM

Do I go ahead and ask for an Apple iPad for Christmas or do I hold out a while and wait for the Haleron H97?

I don't know a lot about these little tablets except I have seen some of my friends have iPads and I like it.

#1 I am a Windows guy and really have very little Apple experience, does this matter. I have a laptop with Windoes XP & One with Windows 7 right now.

#2 There are several versions of this iPad I am seeing, so how do I know which one I want.

I am in flooring sales and Inspections. My basic use will be for taking notes and estimates during the sales cycle & Inspections and perhaps showing clients videos off the internet that demonstrates product installations and pictures of products.

FOREVER #47 "Walking In The Echo...."
Are you a 'Secret Believer"? Do you Conceal your faith from your family, friends and co-workers? Isn't it about time to step out of hiding and let others know whom you follow?
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to GUZZ Send a message via Skype™ to GUZZ 
Unread
  (#2)
www.udothedishes.com

November 23, 2010, 09:40 AM

I am holding out until we get some more reviews for the Samsung Galaxy Tab and Dell's Inspiron Duo. There's also been some talk of a 10" Galaxy Tab coming out eventually which would match the iPad in size. The Duo is a really cool concept where you'd retain laptop/netbook functionality while getting the tablet interface when you flip the screen.

I've never heard of the haleron until now but it looks promising also. I'd wait at least another couple of weeks before making the decision.

Next - ?
05 Yamaha R6 - Street (SOLD)
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#3)
Site Owner

November 23, 2010, 09:47 AM

Haleron H97 = chinese fake... you'll be waiting a long long time for it.

(O|||||||O) and (0OO\(||||)(||||)/OO0)

Help support DCSportbikes.net! Become a Premier Member today!

Katie #135.

Nudist: If Ben isnt still riding me, then I need it
B: that sounds odd
  Facebook Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to ClemsonJeeper  
Unread
  (#4)
Site ADMIN

November 23, 2010, 09:48 AM

What type of videos? Off of youtube? It cant show flash, so any sites that have that, you wont see. Lots of sites are hip to the iPad and converting to another format so they can be seen on an iPad.

I would borrow a buds, or hit the apple store to make sure you can see everything you need..

Since you are showing web, you need one with 3G already. So that limits you to 3 choices. So really that means how much "hard drive" space do you need.

How much you want to spend?

This post was prepared as a service to the DCSportbikes.net community. Neither the DCSportbikes.net ADMINS nor any of the moderators, makes any warranty, expressed or implied, or assumes any legal liability or responsibility for the accuracy, completeness, or usefulness of any information, product, link, or process disclosed, or represents that its use would not infringe privately owned rights. Reference herein to any specific commercial products, process, or service by trade name, trademark manufacturer, or otherwise, does not necessarily constitute or imply its endorsement, recommendation, or favoring by DCSportbikes.net. The opinions of this author expressed herein do not necessarily state or reflect those of the DCSportbikes.net community, and shall not be used for advertising or product endorsement purposes.
__________________________________________________ ________

Alex
13 Honda Fury
  Facebook Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to spud Send a message via MSN to spud  
Unread
  (#5)
Site ADMIN

November 23, 2010, 09:49 AM

Guzz, the Ad that says "it just works" really is the key. my folks who only want email and browsing as well as my wife's rather use the iPad b/c of the instant on.. and no fussing with anything..

This post was prepared as a service to the DCSportbikes.net community. Neither the DCSportbikes.net ADMINS nor any of the moderators, makes any warranty, expressed or implied, or assumes any legal liability or responsibility for the accuracy, completeness, or usefulness of any information, product, link, or process disclosed, or represents that its use would not infringe privately owned rights. Reference herein to any specific commercial products, process, or service by trade name, trademark manufacturer, or otherwise, does not necessarily constitute or imply its endorsement, recommendation, or favoring by DCSportbikes.net. The opinions of this author expressed herein do not necessarily state or reflect those of the DCSportbikes.net community, and shall not be used for advertising or product endorsement purposes.
__________________________________________________ ________

Alex
13 Honda Fury
  Facebook Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to spud Send a message via MSN to spud  
Unread
  (#6)
AMA Superbike Champ

November 23, 2010, 09:51 AM

You should seriously consider the iPad. I think when you compare the iPad to other tablets it will be like comparing the iphone to any other phone, it's just better. What makes the iPad so cool is how smooth everything operates in a fluid motion, I'll put money down the other tablets won't be like this.

If you've never used an Apple product before, the first few days you probably won't like it, but once you get a feel for everything you'll see how much easier it is to use. I don't have much experience typing on an iPad so I couldn't tell you how that is. Basically System Preferences is the equivalent of going into the Control Panel on a PC.

How often are you going to be using the iPad? When you're doing inspections is there going to be wifi access? If not, you might want to consider getting the 3g iPad, but then it's going to have a monthly cost which no one wants. Do you already have AT&T or Verizon as your provider? You might be able to add the iPad for a bit cheaper.

I think it will give you a professional look when you pull out the Pad and show customers videos off the net. What site are these vids on? iPad doesn't support flash, but does play youtube videos.

It's great to use for email too.
Unread
  (#7)
Mojito Anyone?

November 23, 2010, 10:05 AM

Get the blackberry tablet

BlackBerry - PlayBook Tablet PC - BlackBerry PlayBook Specs Pricing and More at BlackBerry.com

ay ya yay
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to onel0wcubn Send a message via AIM to onel0wcubn  
Unread
  (#8)
noise

November 23, 2010, 11:07 AM

I've seen quite a few sales people (in different industries) using their iPads for meetings and sales. All of their sales catalogs are on it amongst their forms for their profession.

"Love is love and family is what is around you and who is in your immediate sphere."
Unread
  (#9)
www.udothedishes.com

November 23, 2010, 11:24 AM

I don't recommend relying on streaming videos off the internet for a client meeting. It'd be safer and have better quality if you copied them to your hard drive for whatever device you end up with.

I did forget to mention the Blackberry Playbook like onel0wcubn. So far, it's had the snappiest browser and best full flash support i've seen. I don't think it'll be available before the holidays though.

Next - ?
05 Yamaha R6 - Street (SOLD)