DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 252
1 members and 251 guests
Sal_the_man
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Non-Sportbike Forums > Non-Sportbike Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools
Questions about a road trip
Unread
  (#1)
Nolo Contender

Question Questions about a road trip - March 5, 2007, 01:45 AM

How many of you guys and gals have traveled on a motorcycle across the country to the absolute other side? I'm talking from DC to Cali or Washington state.

I tried to calculate time based on map quest, but we all know how shitty the results are. It calculated 43 hours @ 65ish mph.

Obviously that is without pit stops, or as I like to call them shitstops lol!! (Stolen from Dane Cook-sort of).

I'm trying to see how much time I would need to do it. I was fixin' on eight hours on, eight off. Is this realistic? I have a Corbin seat on a sport touring bike, so comfort is high.

I would not be taking any major time to go sight seeing.

Any comments? Suggestions?

Quote:
Make something idiot proof and inevitably they will make a better idiot.
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to Aviator Send a message via AIM to Aviator  
Unread
  (#2)
GP Champ

March 5, 2007, 06:27 AM

check the weather regardless.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vonstallin View Post
Stinky:
Im so excited im about to pre-blast in my pants.....then....it hits me...
I smell her arm pits and i damn near threw up!!!!
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to hfam95 Send a message via AIM to hfam95  
Unread
  (#3)
Ling Long

March 5, 2007, 07:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hfam95
check the weather regardless.
That's not really going to matter in a cross country ride. You will have your gear for every weather situation on hand becuase most likely you will run into every common scenario.

U
C
Lots of
Asians
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to YaoMatt Send a message via AIM to YaoMatt Send a message via MSN to YaoMatt  
Unread
  (#4)
TIMMEH!

March 5, 2007, 07:32 AM

Dude...Send a pm to Matt (Ninja636). He has been planning a ride from DC to Vegas and then on to LA this summer for a wedding he's going to. He's got pit stops planned, stops to check things out, driving down Route 66, the whole shebang. He can definitely help.

Ninja636 says:
yes, dick is fun!
Ninja636 says:
OH WAIT....
Ninja636 says:
MAYBE I SHOULD REPHRASE THAT

LaoTzu: "I'll just let everyone know, Glade sprayed up the azz burns!"

(While Climbing, talking about his chalk bag)
Matt - "I like it around back where it hits me on the butt while I'm climbing. It's like 'Oooooh, what was that?'"
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to CFIGixx600  
Unread
  (#5)
Republicans for Voldemort

March 5, 2007, 07:42 AM

haven't done to cali - but have logged many several day trips that totall LOTS of mileage...

Couple of things to bring with you... Get a list a dealers along or near your routes (GPS is niiiiiice for this) - THis is just in case something should happen - they can get you on yer way... Same goes for a cell phone.... Also, a tire patch kit - with nitrogen charges is KEY, this will get you inflated and to a dealer if you get a flat...

8 -10 hours on with 8 hours off - minus some stops sounds good - but isn't that easy in practice.... If you are running back roads - with changing road styles - you mind stays alert... However, if you are talkin the superslab - you body won't move on the seat - and it's easier to get fatigued and to have your mind wander... Bring some snacks and drink water and eat something at every gas stop or about 150 miles or so.. It helps keep you alert.

Personally, I love carving the backroads - it's lots more interesting - and fun to watch folks - etc... Here is what I do... I figure out 2 destinations for each night - miminum safe, and optiminal max distance for each day's ride. This way if the back roads are fun and I am having a good time - I am ok with NOT making the max distance for the day. I also usually pick at least 2 routes - this way if some back road is crap and not fun - or there is road construction - I have another route to take (again GPS is niiiice). Realistically, I try to put some backroads and some highway - this way I can make time if I have to (slab) and can have fun (backroads).

Lastly, secret some $$ someone where on yerself... Some small towns with NO ATM - will require you to pay or post the ticket on the spot - doesn't matter if it's 2AM.. If you can't - it's the night in the pokey.... Don't ask...

Lastly, Have FUN!!!

-Jason
DAMN Rider DAMN Rider

Maybe you have to be messed up... before you can step up!
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to hondahawkrider Send a message via AIM to hondahawkrider  
Unread
  (#6)
Whoa, Momma!

March 5, 2007, 07:49 AM

I did the math a couple of weeks back cause I wanted to take my bike out to San Fran next time I was in Cali. maps.google.com said it would be 2500 miles.

I can do about 500 miles a day on my Monster doing 80-90mph, with long breaks spread out in between. At that rate, I could *comfortably* be in San Fran in 5 days.

You could do it in less, but I'm not sure how many hours per day you'd be willing to spend on your bike. Remember, more things than just your hands go numb after a while.
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to lucrecci  
Unread
  (#7)
You meet the nicest

March 5, 2007, 07:53 AM

Good advice from Hawk.

go here for additional tips:
http://www.ironbutt.com/about/default.cfm

PM hughtwg - He's ridden to Alaska, South America et al.

BECAUSE I GET OFF ON IT!
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#8)
Officially Addicted to Posting

March 5, 2007, 08:55 AM

Not sure what kind of bike you have, but you can easily cover 450-500 miles per day on a bike like my VFR. The question is, what kind of roads you take. When I planned my trip to LA, I avoided superslab like the plague. You probably could cover 450-500 per day just as easily on a supersport in the twisties, but perhaps not on the highway. Certainly your average speed will drop in the twisties and you will cover many more miles, so it will take you longer, but that many miles in a straight like will be painful in more ways than one. I would get much more tired when I had to hit highways in a few areas. Hitting twisty roads will keep you moving around on the bike, keep your heart rate up, and make the trip much more interesting. I took a very long route with only brief stops for sight seeing, fuel, food, sleep. I rode pretty much from sunrise to sunset (although occasionally at night a bit). Covered 4,500 miles in 9 days just to get to LA. You could certainly take a more direct route, but I imagine it would be quite boring. How often will you get a chance to do that? Might as well enjoy it. I got to see some amazing things that I would have missed if I had ridden superslab the whole way.

Definitely get a GPS, a good detailed GPS map of the country, and a mount! Wire a cigarette ligher so you can run your GPS or phone without worrying about batteries. When you are in the middle of nowhere and forgot to get gas at the last stop, hitting a button to find the closest gas station in any direction will be a godsend. Finding hotels, food, etc. with the press of a button is priceless!

Bring a cheap XXL Rain Suit from Walmart that you can slip over your leathers in cold or wet weather. Underarmour is your friend. Get new tires before you leave or you may get to Colorado and need to find a shop to do a quick tire change for you and you may not be as lucky as I was. Change your oil before you go. Hell, check everything. Brake pads, fluid, coolant, etc.

Fluids are important for you as well. Take plenty of breaks. They don't need to be long. Enough to hydrate, snack, stretch (really important too).

I brought a ton of tools, tire patch kit, compressed air, etc. Fortunately I didn't need them, but it was nice to have them, just in case.

Pay attention to what the weather will be like in each part of the country. You don't want to be in Death Valley in August. Hell, there was snow on the ground and it was 35 degrees in August in the Rockies when I rode over them, so make sure to plan ahead.

I also brought a camera and a laptop and updated a blog each night so my family and friends could follow along with me. Only had one night that I couldn't find an internet connection, even in the most remote places.

Most importantly, enjoy yourself. Don't just go for distance. See the country. Meet people. You'll remember this trip forever if you make it memorable.

Last edited by rddy; March 5, 2007 at 09:01 AM..
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to rddy  
Unread
  (#9)
Jeez If You Love Honkus

March 5, 2007, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aviator
How many of you guys and gals have traveled on a motorcycle across the country to the absolute other side? I'm talking from DC to Cali or Washington state.
I've done it four times so far - in 1996, 2001, 2003 and 2005. First time on a K1100LT; next 3 times on a GL1800. Getting ready to do it again this June, on a DL650.

Quote:
I'm trying to see how much time I would need to do it. I was fixin' on eight hours on, eight off. Is this realistic? I have a Corbin seat on a sport touring bike, so comfort is high.
Yes, I'd say that's quite doable. Slabbing it on the interstate to make time though will certainly wear you out more than riding on roads that offer a variety of scenery and twisties to exercise your mind and body.

Quote:
I would not be taking any major time to go sight seeing.

Any comments? Suggestions?
"Sightseeing" as in stopping, I can understand. OTOH you can plan your route so that you'll pass by and through the many wonderful sights between here and there (leaving out the Plains states, of course). Please please please, avoid the superslab unless it's absolutely necessary. There are boocoo secondary roads that will let you see the "real" America that exists beyond the drab, uniform KFC's, Taco Bells, 33 Flavors and Dunkin' Donuts of the interstate.

http://www.motorcycleroads.us/

http://motorcycleroads.com/

http://www.pashnit.com/motoroads.htm

IMO Delorme maps and software products are superior for finding the smaller roads.
Weather will of course dictate your route to a certain extent, so be flexible - especially when it comes to crossing the mountain ranges.
Unread
  (#10)
Nolo Contender

March 5, 2007, 11:59 AM

I appreciate all the responses guys!!! I have a lot of reading now!! Thanks for the useful links.

Quote:
Make something idiot proof and inevitably they will make a better idiot.
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to Aviator Send a message via AIM to Aviator  
Unread
  (#11)
Posting Nothing Relevant

March 5, 2007, 10:03 PM

damn, reading this makes me want to do the trip to Vegas, sounds like so much fun, kinda. maybe next year. hhhmmm...

The East Coast Kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossi
This is America I can shit where I want. FREEDOM!!!
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to eck226 Send a message via AIM to eck226  
Unread
  (#12)
Spectroscopist/adventurer

March 6, 2007, 07:10 AM

Kudos on using your GPS to find dealerships. You should be able to use an internet enabled phone to do the same. My Dad recently rode from Port St Lucie FLA to the southern tip of Alaska, and he had some clutch problems that would have taken a lot less time and money if he wasn't such a luddite.