DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 484
2 members and 482 guests
Sal_the_man, Taty
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Non-Sportbike Forums > Non-Sportbike Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools
Questions for air travelers
Unread
  (#1)
Now with a TBSP of love

Questions for air travelers - June 1, 2008, 11:08 AM

It's been awhile since I've flown (a little after 9/11), and I was curious about a couple of things the TSA site doesn't quite elaborate on.

Laptops and cameras; do they have to go through the x-ray machines?

Can you use MP3 players during flight (I was told you couldn't)?

Thanks,

Last edited by Spiritnblk; June 1, 2008 at 11:35 AM.. Reason: correction
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to Spiritnblk  
Unread
  (#2)
GP Champ

June 1, 2008, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiritnblk
It's been awhile since I've flown (before 9/11), and I was curious about a couple of things the TSA site doesn't quite elaborate on.

Laptops and cameras; do they have to go through the x-ray machines?

Can you use MP3 players during flight (I was told you couldn't)?

Thanks,
YES - laptops and cameras go through the x-ray. laptops must be taken out of any carrying case and placed in a bin by itself. Now this varies depending on the airport. it must be out of any bag but i also use a neoprene sleeve. Some places make you take it out of the sleeve some don't.
YES - you may use mp3 players on board once they announce you may use all approved electronic equipment.

Tony

'12 Ducati Streetfighter 848
'08 Ducati Hypermotard

Bam Bam #47 9.11.09
Jeff Vega 10.06.09
Totnac 4.30.14
forever... Ride on my brothers
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to RacerX2050 Send a message via MSN to RacerX2050  
Unread
  (#3)
Super Moderator

June 1, 2008, 12:50 PM

Yeah what he said!

~Kim
CCS# 827
01 GSXR1000
01 SV650S

I'm ADOS: Attention Deficit Oooooohhhhh ... Shiny!!!

Life's a BITCH. 'Cause if it was a slut, it'd be easy.
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to kevers  
Unread
  (#4)
Never lose your head!!

June 1, 2008, 02:03 PM

Yeah what she said!

KK
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#5)
GP Racer

June 1, 2008, 02:20 PM

here's a tip: As soon as you land and they say it's ok to use your cellphone, resist the urge to pull it out and call somebody to let them know "We just landed..." That drives me batty. Wait til you get off the plane so I don't have to listen to your inane conversation.

-fellow traveler
Unread
  (#6)
GP Racer

June 1, 2008, 02:26 PM

oh and when you get to the X-ray machines, have your shit ready. Have your ID, boarding pass and laptop out. Don't wear a bunch of jewelry that you'll hold up the line taking off, or better yet, leave it in your carry-on until you pass through security. Speaking of your carry on, I'd suggest something with wheels or you're gonna feel like a bama lugging bags strapped to your shoulders.
Unread
  (#7)
Now with a TBSP of love

June 1, 2008, 03:18 PM

Thanks Tony

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zice
here's a tip: As soon as you land and they say it's ok to use your cellphone, resist the urge to pull it out and call somebody to let them know "We just landed..." That drives me batty. Wait til you get off the plane so I don't have to listen to your inane conversation.

-fellow traveler
<!~Uses cell phone as little as possible, and definitely not one to call on a plane, train or bus to tell someone where I am or talk about how bumpy the trip was.

Thanks for the tips
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to Spiritnblk  
Unread
  (#8)
Super Moderator

June 1, 2008, 03:33 PM

Also keep in mind you can only bring small quantities of liquid through the security checkpoint. I believe they can only be 2 ounces in volume but you can have a bunch of 2 ounce containers. But don't try to bring a water bottle through security...but you can buy bottled water once you get out to your gate.

Removed your belt, watch and cell phone before going through security too. Oh and take off your shoes and sweatshirt (or jacket if you're wearing one) before you walk through the metal detector.

Oh and no lighters. Only matches. (If you don't smoke, then this isn't an issue).

~Kim
CCS# 827
01 GSXR1000
01 SV650S

I'm ADOS: Attention Deficit Oooooohhhhh ... Shiny!!!

Life's a BITCH. 'Cause if it was a slut, it'd be easy.
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to kevers  
Unread
  (#9)
Never lose your head!!

June 1, 2008, 04:07 PM

to expedite going through security, i wear flip flops and empty out my pockets, remove my belt and place them all in the backpack. i don't so much flying lately it's become routine. unless you can finish your coffee within 50 feet, wait until you go thru before getting something to drink.

KK
Unread
  (#10)
Fack yo pony...

June 1, 2008, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevers
Also keep in mind you can only bring small quantities of liquid through the security checkpoint. I believe they can only be 2 ounces in volume but you can have a bunch of 2 ounce containers. But don't try to bring a water bottle through security...but you can buy bottled water once you get out to your gate.

Removed your belt, watch and cell phone before going through security too. Oh and take off your shoes and sweatshirt (or jacket if you're wearing one) before you walk through the metal detector.

Oh and no lighters. Only matches. (If you don't smoke, then this isn't an issue).
It's actually 3oz; they make allowances for necessary medical items (my contact solution only comes in 4oz bottles). Put it all into a clear 1qt ziploc bag, and have it on top in your carry-on to pull out - it has to go through the xray machine separately.

I'm not sure about the lighters... I haven't ever had a problem getting the disposable ones through...but leave your grandpa's zippo at home, unless you want to donate it to TSA.

The more streamlined you can be, the less painful - like someone else suggested, shoes that are easy to slip off/on are a good choice; disrobe of all outwear while you're waiting in that endless line so you can toss it in a bin when you get there.

Keep your ID and boarding pass in your hand as you approach the line.

Cameras and film will also go through xray; supposedly the machines are safe for all but the most high-speed, specialized film (check me?). If it's standard ol' 200 or 400 speed, it'll be fine.

Good luck!

Track: 2000 Suzuki SV650 Maintained by Chief Wildman

MARRC Safety Crew

Shenandoah Pictures

Before you attempt to set things right, make sure you see things right.
-- Blaine Lee
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#11)
Tough guy

June 1, 2008, 05:07 PM

Kudos for asking! Follow these tips and you'll breeze through!
  Facebook Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to CamDLux Send a message via MSN to CamDLux Send a message via Skype™ to CamDLux 
Unread
  (#12)
Asleep at the wheel!

June 1, 2008, 06:09 PM

Excellent advice to follow!

'82 Honda CB750 f Supersport
'03 Suzuki SV650s
'05 Yamaha TTR 125 LE
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to SquirrelHead Send a message via AIM to SquirrelHead Send a message via MSN to SquirrelHead Send a message via Skype™ to SquirrelHead 
Unread
  (#13)
Licensed Rider

June 1, 2008, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zice
Have your ID, boarding pass and laptop out
you no longer have to have your boarding pass with you to go through the security checkpoint(at IAD and MDW)....well, the actual x-ray checkpoint. Still need it to get into the line though.

And you can use portable electronic devices at 10,000 ft.

Iran's supreme leader has decreed that masturbation is permissible during Ramadan as long as the act is not intentional.
Unread
  (#14)
need more knee down

June 2, 2008, 07:25 AM

i just flew to greece a week ago and my boarding pass and passport where checked before i went to the x-ray machines.

everything else has been answered, its straightforward really.
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to LVegaJr Send a message via AIM to LVegaJr Send a message via Skype™ to LVegaJr 
Unread
  (#15)
Owner & Creator

June 2, 2008, 07:57 AM

just make a run for it