DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 497
0 members and 497 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 04:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Non-Sportbike Forums > Non-Sportbike Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools
Unread
  (#31)
Your Ad Here

November 14, 2018, 12:40 AM

Today's full sized truck prices are so far removed from their roots of 'every man affordability', it's almost laughable.

Especially when you consider the relatively basic engineering and platform needed for a pick-up truck.

“Any man who tries to be good all the time is bound to come to ruin among the great number who are not good. Hence a Prince who wants to keep his authority must learn how not to be good, and use that knowledge, or refrain from using it, as necessity requires”.

- Nicolo Machiavelli 1469-1527

Facebook Page MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#32)
I'm a llama again!

November 14, 2018, 07:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beatle View Post
I guess I'm just a cheapskate or not rich enough, but fucking hell full size trucks are expensive. Cheapest is $37k and they go up to $68k. I lament that a decked out late model Ridgeline is still above $30k.

A Ridgeline is not a truck, it's a mini van with a bed at best.

Yeah I am old enough to know better. Thing is, I just don't care.
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#33)
Railing!

November 14, 2018, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slider View Post
A Ridgeline is not a truck, it's a mini van with a bed at best.
Indeed, which makes it the best. Its original drawback was mileage/power. At only 250 hp, it needs to have mileage in the 20s, maybe upper teens. I get 14-17 in mixed driving. I can get 21 with pure highway and no bike in the bed, but that's nothing to brag about. The new one has 280hp and gets better mileage, though it is now even uglier.

It's a shame there are no true small trucks anymore or even utes here. The midsize market (Tacoma, Colorado, new Ranger) has physically grown so much that they have a lot of the drawbacks of a large truck without the capability of one. Can't carry sheet goods between the wheel wells in the other midsize trucks, and their towing capacities are not significantly more than the RL, even with the bigger engine. With the base engine they're even less. If I actually needed more truck capability than the RL (towing, serious off road) I would need a full size.

2010 Triumph Street Triple R
2008 Triumph Street Triple (track)
2010 Triumph Bonneville
2016 Triumph Thruxton R
Unread
  (#34)
Your Ad Here

November 14, 2018, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Indeed, which makes it the best. Its original drawback was mileage/power. At only 250 hp, it needs to have mileage in the 20s, maybe upper teens. I get 14-17 in mixed driving. I can get 21 with pure highway and no bike in the bed, but that's nothing to brag about. The new one has 280hp and gets better mileage, though it is now even uglier.

It's a shame there are no true small trucks anymore or even utes here. The midsize market (Tacoma, Colorado, new Ranger) has physically grown so much that they have a lot of the drawbacks of a large truck without the capability of one. Can't carry sheet goods between the wheel wells in the other midsize trucks, and their towing capacities are not significantly more than the RL, even with the bigger engine. With the base engine they're even less. If I actually needed more truck capability than the RL (towing, serious off road) I would need a full size.

About 2 years ago Hyundai presented a small, sport activity, crossover concept with bed on the back called the Santa Cruz. I said if they would put this into production they would own the ute / small truck market. It would be the Subura Brat reincarnated.

“Any man who tries to be good all the time is bound to come to ruin among the great number who are not good. Hence a Prince who wants to keep his authority must learn how not to be good, and use that knowledge, or refrain from using it, as necessity requires”.

RAM Trucks: Had no damn Idea Dodge Split its Truck Division
Unread
  (#35)
Has an idiot exemption

RAM Trucks: Had no damn Idea Dodge Split its Truck Division - November 14, 2018, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heist View Post
Chrysler product transmission have always been unrefined and a dire weak point.

The 6 speeds were poor, they made matters worse when they began using 8 speeds.

Read up on the 200C and Jeep issues.

Chrysler has always been the most 'German' of the American car makers.

Too much complicated, under tested engineering that is wonderful when it works - but never seems to work reliably or 100% as intended.

Interesting.
I’ve got a 2006 Ram 2500 Diesel with over 240,000 miles.
I tow an 8.5x24 enclosed trailer with it.
I must have gotten lucky.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Steve
2015 Yamaha R1
2011 Harley Electra Glide Limited
2009 Yamaha Zuma 125
2006 Honda CRF150F
2004 Honda CRF150F Monster
2003 Honda CRF 150F Mini-monster
www.cornerspeed.net
Unread
  (#36)
Railing!

November 14, 2018, 08:13 PM

Too bad these aren't more popular here.

2010 Triumph Bonneville
2016 Triumph Thruxton R
Unread
  (#37)
Your Ad Here

November 14, 2018, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple X
Interesting.
I’ve got a 2006 Ram 2500 Diesel with over 240,000 miles.
I tow an 8.5x24 enclosed trailer with it.
I must have gotten lucky.

2006 vintage, I believe those had the old 5-speed auto transmission - which were squared away. But when they began going into 5+ speed automatic transmissions, it went badly.

Partially Benz's fault. They thought they could get away with using 2-3 generation old Benz parts in new models.

Unread
  (#38)
Meh

November 14, 2018, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Too bad these aren't more popular here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vmpCWEAapQY

They were called El Caminos
Unread
  (#39)
Railing!

November 15, 2018, 05:59 AM

Or Ford Rancheros.

I thought about looking into a restored version of one, but as I'd probably actually use it for utility, I wouldn't want to squander a big purchase on a vehicle like that.

2010 Triumph Bonneville
2016 Triumph Thruxton R
Unread
  (#40)
GP Champ

November 15, 2018, 09:39 AM

Truck prices are insane. I went two weeks ago to buy a loaded 2018 Expedition MAX, got halfway to the dealership after agreeing on an otd price and came to my senses and turned around, $74,850 was the otd on a 82,500 sticker truck. They top out at $84,900. Next day I went and bought a low mileage diesel 04 Excursion for $15k instead. If im spending almost $100k on a vehicle it better be fast as fuck and limited production. Not some glorified 4wd minivan. With the money saved I can pay off my Raptor AND Mustang GT leaving zero car payments.

Vehicle prices across the board are ridiculous for new cars.
Unread
  (#41)
I'm a llama again!

November 15, 2018, 09:43 AM

I thought the Taco's with the longer bed were pretty good trucks. Sadly I need the towing power of a full size for my trailer and could really use a 2500.

Yeah I am old enough to know better. Thing is, I just don't care.
Unread
  (#42)
Я - Ребенок Люциферов

November 15, 2018, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRN96WS6 View Post
Never in all my time would I ever think to put a damn key inside a wallet, pretty silly actually... It's not like a fob is that hard to carry around.

Front left wallet, front right chap stick and keys, back pocket for phone when not in my hand.or a jacket if it's the season for one.

Sitting in a wallet sounds painful and horrible for one's posture, I take my phone out of my pocket and sit down, no issues.
lol i've had my house front door key in my wallet for over 2 decades.
As we speak I am installing a digital door lock to eliminate having to carry a spare.

The Nightmare of Summit Point
WERA Nov# 325 / CCS # 326
2016 ZX10R ABS (Street) | 2011 ZX10RR(Race)
2011 R6 (Street & Track) | 2009 WR250F
GunnRunnaz.com|GR on FaceBook | www.2666ad.com|
  Facebook Page MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via MSN to vonstallin  
Unread
  (#43)
Я - Ребенок Люциферов

November 15, 2018, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drt_Jumper View Post
Truck prices are insane. I went two weeks ago to buy a loaded 2018 Expedition MAX, got halfway to the dealership after agreeing on an otd price and came to my senses and turned around, $74,850 was the otd on a 82,500 sticker truck. They top out at $84,900. Next day I went and bought a low mileage diesel 04 Excursion for $15k instead. If im spending almost $100k on a vehicle it better be fast as fuck and limited production. Not some glorified 4wd minivan. With the money saved I can pay off my Raptor AND Mustang GT leaving zero car payments.

Jeezuz....is that the new Excursion basically?

Im waiting on the all new Frontier to come out and starting to get scared on prices.

Ridgelines are high as hell... you can spend $48,000 on a top end Black edition (which looks awesome)

I think my budget will be $32-$38k range.

The Nightmare of Summit Point
WERA Nov# 325 / CCS # 326
2016 ZX10R ABS (Street) | 2011 ZX10RR(Race)
2011 R6 (Street & Track) | 2009 WR250F
GunnRunnaz.com|GR on FaceBook | www.2666ad.com|
  Facebook Page MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via MSN to vonstallin  
Unread
  (#44)
GP Racer

RAM Trucks: Had no damn Idea Dodge Split its Truck Division - November 15, 2018, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vonstallin View Post
lol i've had my house front door key in my wallet for over 2 decades.
As we speak I am installing a digital door lock to eliminate having to carry a spare.
House key is fine, the other guy says he puts his car key (that no big keyless joint) in it....

Tommy

MSF Graduate 9-25-05
13 DRZ400SM Sold 6-21-16
06 R6 Raven Sold 4-23-15
Unread
  (#45)
GP Racer

RAM Trucks: Had no damn Idea Dodge Split its Truck Division - November 15, 2018, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drt_Jumper View Post

Same here, shopped for new half tons from the big three... Decided f it instead and went used, got an 04 diesels F350 ha! Both cars I own are laid off.

Tommy

MSF Graduate 9-25-05
13 DRZ400SM Sold 6-21-16
06 R6 Raven Sold 4-23-15