DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 543
5 members and 538 guests
2blueyam, fxc3700, GRN96WS6, Scot, Slider
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Non-Sportbike Forums > Non-Sportbike Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools
RANT
Unread
  (#1)
singin sweet home alabama

RANT - January 2, 2008, 03:25 PM

About six months ago, I signed up for a world gym membership - agreeing to a month-to-month plan. All was well, except that I still hated driving out to the gym.

So my wife and I bought ourselves a home gym for x-mas this year.

So I stop by the gym to cancel my membership. Holy fack! Apparently, "month-to-month" has a whole new meaning. First, the gym just hands me a card and says "we don't handle billing", contact these people. Translation: "We can sign your ass up, but you're going to have to work with jackasses 2,000 miles away to cancel".

I call the people on the card and first he tells me I have no right to cancel unless I'm moving or something. We argue for a moment, and then he realizes I'm month-to-month; I can in fact cancel. So he tells me I have to go online, fill out a form, mail the form in - and include a $50 cancelation fee.

Holy crap!? How the hell do these fackers stay in business with such piss poor business practices?

The guy on the phone says to me "well, you signed the contract". I signed a month-to-month contract, which in non-bizzaro dimensions generally means MONTH-TO-MONTH... i.e. I pay this month, I'm in, I don't pay this month, I'm out.

So I poke around and it turns out thousands of people complain about this same thing. Which makes me wonder - how on earth is this business successful? I would think the horror stories would keep people away. I suppose there are just enough ignorant people out there... I mean, I even asked around about gyms and this sort of thing was never mentioned.

These places can all go to hell.

"No race has ever been won in the first corner, but plenty have been lost there."
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via MSN to DvlsAdvc8  
Unread
  (#2)
Owner & Creator

January 2, 2008, 03:29 PM

report it to the BBB.
call them again and tell them your going to report it.
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#3)
Ninja in Training....

January 2, 2008, 03:32 PM

I went through the same thing with Golds Gym in Manassas. The run around took about a month and then they charged me for another month so I blocked them from my bank account and finally got it cancelled. They need a warning about this shyt.....

- Craig

If you don't know go ask yo momma

'04 R1 aka "The Bastard"
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to roadrunner78 Send a message via AIM to roadrunner78  
Unread
  (#4)
Spike

January 2, 2008, 03:36 PM

All these people knew but you. Is the same thing, they didn't know til they got stuck in it. I refuse to go to a gym. If I need it that bad, I'll run down the street for free.
Sux you had this experience, hope it turns out for you.

RIP Greg Walker, I will never forget you

If everybody thought before they spoke, the silence would be deafening
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via ICQ to jtatooz Send a message via Yahoo to jtatooz Send a message via AIM to jtatooz Send a message via Skype™ to jtatooz 
Unread
  (#5)
DAS BOOT

January 2, 2008, 03:52 PM

I never had any issues, as far as billing is concerned, BUT after 5 months of going there, it started to get super busy....to the point of EVERY machine being used. Had to wait for extended amounts of time to even get on the equipment. Fcuk that. That is not what I am paying for...
So, we have a home gym and free weights along with a bunch of other equipment (treadmill and elliptical machine). Not to mention my Home Owners Association has a club house with a gym that we can use....comes with paying dues.

FCUK GOLDS GYM.

Wow. Just..................wow.
Unread
  (#6)
1 of DA PAK FOUNDERS!!

January 2, 2008, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyK
I never had any issues, as far as billing is concerned, BUT after 5 months of going there, it started to get super busy....to the point of EVERY machine being used. Had to wait for extended amounts of time to even get on the equipment. Fcuk that. That is not what I am paying for...
So, we have a home gym and free weights along with a bunch of other equipment (treadmill and elliptical machine). Not to mention my Home Owners Association has a club house with a gym that we can use....comes with paying dues.

FCUK GOLDS GYM.
fugg that I am getting a membership at PUSAVILLE's GYM

R1 , 2001
Gixxer 2005
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to Chico Send a message via AIM to Chico  
Unread
  (#7)
( * )|( * )

January 3, 2008, 07:24 AM

The gyms in this area suck...over crowded, expensive, minimal equipment. As LadyK said, we used to go to Gold's but they had so many members that it became a waste of time and money.

How do they stay in business? It's the people who show up for the first week then either pay until the membership is up or buy out their contract.

My advice is buy a home gym if you can otherwise try the gym out for a week or two before you sign up and go during the times you will most likely be there.

Chris
2008 MARRC AM Racer of the Year
Unread
  (#8)
Derpentine Dealer

January 3, 2008, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DvlsAdvc8
... These places can all go to hell.
Hey wait, are you saying you believe in hell? Ha ha, J/K, just yanking your chain a bit.

Sorry to hear about your trouble with them. Sounds like fishy business to me, kinda like the offers that start with "one month free" and then bank on customer laziness for the money-making. They figure if they put up enough hoops to jump through, a certain percentage of their customers will give up and just pay the money rather than fight for what's right. I say it's morally repugnant,... in an objective, absolute, divine sort of way.

How's my posting? Please direct all concerns and inquiries to DCSBN's chief content manager, Hollywood, via PM.
Unread
  (#9)
Don't ask me,I'm Canadian

January 3, 2008, 07:57 AM

Id call Fox5 or 7 On Your Side,they get a hard on for these types of stories.

ALL MY HEROES ARE RUSSIAN...GO CAPS!

Well you see, Norm, itís like thisÖA herd of buffalo can only move as fast as the slowest buffalo. And when the herd is hunted, it is the slowest and weakest ones at the back that are killed first. This natural selection is good for the herd as a whole, because the general speed and health of the whole group keeps improving by the regular killing of the weakest members. In much the same way, the human brain can only operate as fast as the slowest brain cells. Now, as we know, excessive intake of alcohol kills brain cells. But naturally, it attacks the slowest and weakest brain cells first. In this way, regular consumption of beer eliminates the weaker brain cells, making the brain a faster and more efficient machine. And that, Norm, is why you always feel smarter after a few beers.-Cliff Claven

Unread
  (#10)

January 3, 2008, 08:10 AM

What's even better, is the form I have to submit to "cancel" my month-to-month membership (I'm still laughing that I have to do such a thing) is actually called an "application to cancel". In other words, they can deny your cancellation. Even more, it explicitly states that you must continue paying until they approve your cancellation without giving a time frame in which they must approve or deny you.

Classic.

"No race has ever been won in the first corner, but plenty have been lost there."
Unread
  (#11)
1 of DA PAK FOUNDERS!!

January 3, 2008, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deviousR6
The gyms in this area suck...over crowded, expensive, minimal equipment. As LadyK said, we used to go to Gold's but they had so many members that it became a waste of time and money.

How do they stay in business? It's the people who show up for the first week then either pay until the membership is up or buy out their contract.

My advice is buy a home gym if you can otherwise try the gym out for a week or two before you sign up and go during the times you will most likely be there.
I will be joining PUSAVILLE's GYM soon membership at this gym is awesome

P.S.

Dear Pusa's I need my gold membership card asap

R1 , 2001
Gixxer 2005
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to Chico Send a message via AIM to Chico  
Unread
  (#12)
( * )|( * )

January 3, 2008, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DvlsAdvc8
What's even better, is the form I have to submit to "cancel" my month-to-month membership (I'm still laughing that I have to do such a thing) is actually called an "application to cancel". In other words, they can deny your cancellation. Even more, it explicitly states that you must continue paying until they approve your cancellation without giving a time frame in which they must approve or deny you.

Classic.
As others said...contact the BBB.

Chris
2008 MARRC AM Racer of the Year
Unread
  (#13)
Ling Long

January 3, 2008, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carnage R1
report it to the BBB.
call them again and tell them your going to report it.

That doesn't actually do anything...

U
C
Lots of
Asians
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to YaoMatt Send a message via AIM to YaoMatt Send a message via MSN to YaoMatt  
Unread
  (#14)
Triple Secks

January 3, 2008, 12:07 PM

Oddly enough, going to join a gym today. It's a smaller gym(not a franchise). Canceling was't too hard when i used to go. I guess your results may vary from gym to gym...

Not everyone has the luxury/space to get a weight set at the living place. Im a renter in a smallish townhouse so that's not really an option. I generally don't go to gyms to run on a treadmill (anymore) i go there to lift weights.

I believe i can see the future;
because everyday i repeat the
same routine.
Unread
  (#15)

January 3, 2008, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarksideSW20
Oddly enough, going to join a gym today. It's a smaller gym(not a franchise). Canceling was't too hard when i used to go. I guess your results may vary from gym to gym...

Not everyone has the luxury/space to get a weight set at the living place. Im a renter in a smallish townhouse so that's not really an option. I generally don't go to gyms to run on a treadmill (anymore) i go there to lift weights.
Dito, but I sure wish I'd have known how much of a PITA they make it to cancel a membership - especially considering that was my primary concern going in, something I explicitly stated, and the whole purpose for paying a higher "month-to-month" membership. I knew I might buy a home gym once I knew what I wanted.