DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 327
4 members and 323 guests
2blueyam, HotRod1200, legendindisguise, Sal_the_man
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Non-Sportbike Forums > Non-Sportbike Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools
Recommendations on a camera
Unread
  (#1)
Bikeless... for now

Recommendations on a camera - December 10, 2007, 05:58 AM

Looking to get into photography and need digital camera recommendations. I would like to get a camera that I wont grow out of or get bored with as I get better but don't/cant spend $1000.00 on one. Also any draw backs to buying a used camera? Thanks for the help

My bike run's on snake oil.... thanks to BG.

'06 ZX-6R in blue
'93 Ninja EX500 (sold)
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#2)
Officially a Ninja

December 10, 2007, 06:09 AM

Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to bluebusa07  
Unread
  (#3)
Bikeless... for now

December 10, 2007, 06:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebusa07
Thanks

My bike run's on snake oil.... thanks to BG.

'06 ZX-6R in blue
'93 Ninja EX500 (sold)
Unread
  (#4)
BE ENCOURAGED!

December 10, 2007, 07:21 AM

I started with the Rebel XT and still carry it in my bag as a back up and use it at times. It is a good little camera and as you grow I would recommend getting better quality lenses for it and learn to shoot manual and possibly RAW. Then if you feel you need a better camera do it. But you will never really "Outgrow it" necessarily.

You can put a beginner set up together for about $1,000 which includes a couple of lenses, battery, and a card or two.

Good luck. If you have any questions I am happy to help any way I can.

FOREVER #47 "Walking In The Echo...."
Are you a 'Secret Believer"? Do you Conceal your faith from your family, friends and co-workers? Isn't it about time to step out of hiding and let others know whom you follow?
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to GUZZ Send a message via Skype™ to GUZZ 
Unread
  (#5)
Warming up the tires

December 10, 2007, 07:28 AM

1st ask yourself what type of photography. That will determine the type of camera. If you want to get into serious still photography go with a Canon (my preference) or Nikon digital SLR.

If you are just starting out, you may want to try one of the pocket digital cameras. Most of them will shoot stillls and video (versitility). Even with a compact digital camera you can learn about composition of your photos. A SLR will let you start learning exposure.

I currently own a Canon TX-1 that I use all the time. It takes great pictures and video (especially with the 10x optical zoom). If I had to choose a SLR I would go with a Canon Rebel (lower cost) or the 30D or 40D. The 5D is a great camera (almost pro level), but Canon will probably be replacing it early next year. Be aware that the quality of the lens is a BIG factor in digital SLRs.

For more info on digital SLRs you should talk to Guzz.

naked blue 2003 SV1000
red 2014 Honda Interceptor - VFR 800

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe. - Albert Einstein
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to bike4fun  
Unread
  (#6)
BE ENCOURAGED!

December 10, 2007, 07:37 AM

Actually the reason I don't recommend the 30D for a beginner is because that camera tries to do everything for you and it gets it wrong alot. I jumped from the Rebel to the 30D a little to fast before I was ready and I have to admit my first sets of pics sucked. It really took me a while to get used to that camera. The key to it is get off the auto-modes and go 100% manual & RAW. But that is just me.

You are correct the 5D has a new version being released in September, so the price has dropped $1,000 so I am getting one for Christmas. Not sure that is really a good camera for a beginner. That camera is a great portrait camera and is the #1 wedding shoot camera because it is a full frame vs. 1:6. So I agree with what was said about you really needing to decide what you want to shoot then go from there, but in the beginning a Rebel is the way to go for all around versitility and cost IMO.

There a handful of photography forums online that discuss this stuff. Also some really good books out there to help you. If you decide you want to learn more that is the way to go!

Are you a 'Secret Believer"? Do you Conceal your faith from your family, friends and co-workers? Isn't it about time to step out of hiding and let others know whom you follow?
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to GUZZ Send a message via Skype™ to GUZZ 
Unread
  (#7)
Still here

December 10, 2007, 07:37 AM

OK, I'm looking for more of a point and shoot digital camera. Something that takes decent pics and falls in the $100 to $180 price range. And NO, the disney camera isn't what I am thinking. Any brands to avoid?

02 1100 VStar

I've got a bike and I ride it year round. Nuff said

.Net - Those that care, post.
Those that don't care, seem to post too.
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to vstargidget Send a message via AIM to vstargidget  
Unread
  (#8)
BE ENCOURAGED!

December 10, 2007, 07:39 AM

Canon Powershot series is a good point and shoot that is priced great. I saw a lot of them on sale this past weekend!

Unread
  (#9)
It is what it is!

December 10, 2007, 07:52 AM

If your serious.....go with a Nikon.

CK Costco....they sometimes have good deals!

2007 Triumph Daytona 675
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to Tornado675  
Unread
  (#10)
> 6'3" need not apply!

December 10, 2007, 07:54 AM

Check out today's woot.com

Stacey
Blue 2005 SV650S (totaled)

Unread
  (#11)
Never lose your head!!

December 10, 2007, 08:05 AM

[quote=vstargidget]OK, I'm looking for more of a point and shoot digital camera. Something that takes decent pics and falls in the $100 to $180 price range. And NO, the disney camera isn't what I am thinking. Any brands to avoid?[/quote

Canon SD1000 + 2GB memory card <$200 @ Costco..if you don't have a membership, let me know and I can get it for you.

KK
Unread
  (#12)
BE ENCOURAGED!

December 10, 2007, 08:06 AM

Hey NG. One thing you may want to consider before you do anything is ask Kirstin (BoomBoom's wife) She trained me and can be a valuable source of information in getting you started.

Unread
  (#13)
Still here

December 10, 2007, 08:16 AM

I've seen that Polaroid a lot on Woot, sadly it doesn't have very good reviews

Saw the Canons on sale, wondered if anyone had/has and likes it.

Haven't seen too many Nikons in that price range, but will give Costco a look

02 1100 VStar

I've got a bike and I ride it year round. Nuff said

.Net - Those that care, post.
Those that don't care, seem to post too.
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to vstargidget Send a message via AIM to vstargidget  
Unread
  (#14)
> 6'3" need not apply!

December 10, 2007, 08:36 AM

I have a Canon T1 and I LOVE it but it's not digital. 35mm and it takes GREAT pictures!! I'd love to have the Digital SLR one but it's like $900. I'll stick with my little Kodak 7.1 digital camera for quick pictures but I use my Canon for the long shots like for football or for basketball. Love my Canon!!

Stacey

Unread
  (#15)
> 6'3" need not apply!

December 10, 2007, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bike4fun

I currently own a Canon TX-1 that I use all the time. It takes great pictures and video (especially with the 10x optical zoom). If I had to choose a SLR I would go with a Canon Rebel (lower cost) or the 30D or 40D. The 5D is a great camera (almost pro level), but Canon will probably be replacing it early next year. Be aware that the quality of the lens is a BIG factor in digital SLRs.
I think you mean the Canon XT-i. They have them on sale at Best Buy this week.

Stacey