DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 545
3 members and 542 guests
beatle, davidcycle, legendindisguise
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Non-Sportbike Forums > Non-Sportbike Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools
Red Ring of Death
Unread
  (#1)
Don't ask me,I'm Canadian

Red Ring of Death - July 6, 2008, 08:34 AM

Is this something that has been taken care of? I want to go but a 360 today.I've been holding off because of the RRoD.If it has been taken care of,can a person read the codes on the box to tell if it's a newer 360 that has been taken care of?

ALL MY HEROES ARE RUSSIAN...GO CAPS!

Well you see, Norm, it’s like this…A herd of buffalo can only move as fast as the slowest buffalo. And when the herd is hunted, it is the slowest and weakest ones at the back that are killed first. This natural selection is good for the herd as a whole, because the general speed and health of the whole group keeps improving by the regular killing of the weakest members. In much the same way, the human brain can only operate as fast as the slowest brain cells. Now, as we know, excessive intake of alcohol kills brain cells. But naturally, it attacks the slowest and weakest brain cells first. In this way, regular consumption of beer eliminates the weaker brain cells, making the brain a faster and more efficient machine. And that, Norm, is why you always feel smarter after a few beers.-Cliff Claven

Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#2)
GP Racer

July 6, 2008, 12:52 PM

I am pretty sure that it has been fixed. If you do end up getting it, the warranty will replace it.
Unread
  (#3)
Typical Stripper

July 6, 2008, 02:23 PM

My brand new Elite had it happen within 6 months of ownership. Warr. is bumped to 3 years on all units for the RRoD hardware failure.

Nate CCS/ASRA #29 - www.nudebikesracing.com - 2012 MARRC AM Racer of the Year

Ticket2Speed, RnR Cycles, Twin Works Factory, Scorpion Helmets, Pro Speed Racing Apparel, Vortex, DC-Moto.net/Amsoil, Dunlop, Sharkskinz, DCSportbikes.net
  Facebook Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#4)
Don't ask me,I'm Canadian

July 6, 2008, 11:32 PM

Picked up one today.I got Condemned 2,great looking game,not too keen on the controls.Other than GTA4,what are the good games? I was looking at Elder Scrolls and I saw MotoGP 07 but no 08.I also didn't see a hockey game anywhere.I need my hockey fix until next season.Is there a F1 game for the 360,saw it on the PS3 and it looked sick.Anyone selling games?

ALL MY HEROES ARE RUSSIAN...GO CAPS!

Well you see, Norm, it’s like this…A herd of buffalo can only move as fast as the slowest buffalo. And when the herd is hunted, it is the slowest and weakest ones at the back that are killed first. This natural selection is good for the herd as a whole, because the general speed and health of the whole group keeps improving by the regular killing of the weakest members. In much the same way, the human brain can only operate as fast as the slowest brain cells. Now, as we know, excessive intake of alcohol kills brain cells. But naturally, it attacks the slowest and weakest brain cells first. In this way, regular consumption of beer eliminates the weaker brain cells, making the brain a faster and more efficient machine. And that, Norm, is why you always feel smarter after a few beers.-Cliff Claven

Unread
  (#5)
Officially Addicted to Posting

July 6, 2008, 11:42 PM

Ninja Gaiden 2 is pretty good...graphics are awesome in 1080i. I have Burnout Paradise, but i dont like it as much as the previous versions. Still waiting on Alone In The Dark and Battlefield: Bad Company to come in the mail

"I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, with tears in my eyes: If you fuck with me, I'll kill you all." -MG James Mattis, Iraq 2003

Ruining .net one post at a time
Unread
  (#6)
( * )|( * )

July 7, 2008, 06:04 AM

There is a new chipset out but people are still having issues. Just get the warranty (like BestBuy where they'll replace it right away) and you'll be ok.

Try to keep it in a cool area, make sure there's plenty of ventallation as well.

Chris
2008 MARRC AM Racer of the Year
Unread
  (#7)
The last urrbendah

July 7, 2008, 07:26 AM

I thought this thread might have something to do with bathroom excursions following a dinner at Don Pablos.

13 KTM 200 XC-W
15 KTM 350 XC-F

I might have a dirt bike problem.
Unread
  (#8)
( * )|( * )

July 7, 2008, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillie
I thought this thread might have something to do with bathroom excursions following a dinner at Don Pablos.
No man...he said "ring" not "hole"

Chris
Unread
  (#9)
Mommy's Little Monster

July 7, 2008, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillie

2018 BMW R1200 GS
2016 Yamaha FJ-09
2014 Honda CB500X
2007 Suzuki DRZ 400SM
2007 Suzuki GSXR 600
Unread
  (#10)
DAS BOOT

July 7, 2008, 08:02 AM

XBOX

that is what I think of it.....$$$ down the damn drain. I am going to office space mine this week...

Wow. Just..................wow.
Unread
  (#11)
( * )|( * )

July 7, 2008, 08:05 AM

After owning and playing both my preference is the PS3...better graphics and I like the game play better. However, Xbox does have the edge on the online gaming though.

Chris
Unread
  (#12)
Site Owner

July 7, 2008, 09:44 AM

If your 360 is RRoD'ing and you are out of warranty, don't kill it. I had 2 360's that were doing it and out of warranty (warranty seal broken). I ended up fixing both of them and they both work perfectly now.

One of them the issue was the memory chips having a cold solder and separating from the board when heated up, and the solution was placing a cut up eraser between the chip and the case so the pressure when the motherboard was mounted back into the case would hold the chips in place. Viola, one fixed.

The other one was overheating issue so I pulled off the CPU/GPU heatsinks, did some dremelling, and replaced the X clamps (which pull the CPU/GPU heatsink down onto the board) with simple nuts and bolts which provided a much more secure connection. I also put some better thermal paste on them as well. And now that one is working A-OK too.

So don't ditch your RRoD 360 if its out of warranty... Or you can sell it to me for 20$

(O|||||||O) and (0OO\(||||)(||||)/OO0)

Help support DCSportbikes.net! Become a Premier Member today!

Katie #135.

Nudist: If Ben isnt still riding me, then I need it
B: that sounds odd
  Facebook Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to ClemsonJeeper  
Unread
  (#13)
Addicted to Cajen food...

July 7, 2008, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deviousR6
After owning and playing both my preference is the PS3...better graphics and I like the game play better. However, Xbox does have the edge on the online gaming though.
+1 bro... love my PS3. With HOME approaching, the online experience will get better for sure. Try to find a good gaming group to hook up with, makes PS3 online so much better.
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#14)
( * )|( * )

July 7, 2008, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClemsonJeeper
The other one was overheating issue so I pulled off the CPU/GPU heatsinks, did some dremelling, and replaced the X clamps (which pull the CPU/GPU heatsink down onto the board) with simple nuts and bolts which provided a much more secure connection. I also put some better thermal paste on them as well. And now that one is working A-OK too.

So don't ditch your RRoD 360 if its out of warranty... Or you can sell it to me for 20$
I did the CPU fix on mine, it worked fine for a couple of days and then wham...red lights again so I decided it wasn't worth the effort and ditched it for a PS3 which I was planning on getting anyhow. If the system was with the effort I would have put more time but to be honest, for me the time was more valuable these days so I decided to part mine out. I like the PS3 better, graphics are better, online gaming is free, and it has blue-ray which is incredible on my TV so no complaints.

Rob does have a good point, you can fix them and resolve the poor design problems easily.

Chris
Unread
  (#15)
Put yo mouth on the curb!

July 7, 2008, 11:31 AM

I've had the 360 for about 2.5 years or so now, it RROD'ed last year. I sent it in under M$'s warranty and got it fixed, took about 2 months though. Been working fine ever since i got it back. I personnaly prefer the 360 to the ps3 as I have alot more friends on xbox live and the UI/online support is way better than the ps3's. The graphics are roughly equivalent from what i've seen of comparions of the multiplatform games. I basically only use the ps3 to play blu-ray movies.

Greg

2003 SV650
1990 FZR 400 - Sold