DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 147
1 members and 146 guests
tonetone
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Non-Sportbike Forums > Non-Sportbike Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools
Redskins Push Large Tailgates to Back of Lots
Unread
  (#1)
Site ADMIN

Redskins Push Large Tailgates to Back of Lots - June 23, 2009, 08:56 AM

Petition started already.

I kinda see the point. It isnt fair that other season ticket holders have to park in the back b/c the tailgaters take up 2+ spots.

Discuss.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...062201313.html

Quote:
By Dan Steinberg
Washington Post Staff Writer
Tuesday, June 23, 2009 12:14 AM

The Washington Redskins will restrict large tailgate parties in the FedEx Field parking lots this season, limiting tailgates using more than one parking space to "the back" of parking lots, the team said in a statement. The team also said that drivers of all vehicles will be directed to specific areas of the lots instead of being allowed to choose their own.
"The most significant new procedure will have parking attendants directing fans who wish to tailgate in more than one space to the back of lots, where they will be allowed to occupy two spaces until required for additional vehicles," the team said. "Fans who wish to only park, or tailgate within their single parking spot, will be directed to the front of lots, filling the lot from front to back."
In the past, early-entering fans were greeted by something of a free-for-all in the empty lots, leaving a chaotic checkerboard pattern as fans gradually staked out spots and erected tents, grills and buffet lines. The parking lots have traditionally opened four hours before kickoff, but hundreds of fans lined up outside the gates before dawn for the chance to stake out prime spots, with several large tailgates appearing each week in the rows closest to the stadium.
The system also led to fans spreading out over multiple spaces early in the morning, tying up spaces and contributing to gridlock when later-arriving cars pulled in. But to many fans, the system helped foster a community atmosphere, with tailgates springing up all over the massive expanse of asphalt, mapped out by an honor-system geography under which the same families would grab the same spots nearly every week.
After word spread of the new restrictions, fans spent yesterday morning registering online complaints, creating petitions and calling into radio stations.
"It's ridiculous," said Ted Abela, who arrives at the stadium around 5:30 a.m. and hosts dozens of tailgaters a few yards from the stadium entrance. "People that arrive there first and get there early are being reprimanded and moved to the back of the parking lot. And some guy that's not even a fan, that gets there 30 minutes before the game, gets to park right in the front of the lot? It's absurd. We pay [hundreds of dollars] to park at basically eight games, and we can't choose our own spot, we can't park by our friends?"
But other fans, less interested in the pregame festivities than in ease of entry, said they supported the new rules, and that the old system had grown progressively worse as tailgaters expanded their setups into prime parking spots.
"I try to get there two, three hours beforehand, and I end up parking in the very far green lot, which puts me at at least an hour to get out of the parking lot at the end of the game," said Matt Maher, a longtime season ticket holder from Vienna. "The parking situation and a few game-day experience issues have really kept me from going to games recently. This will be a big improvement."
In the release, Redskins chief operating officer Mitch Gershman said the effects of the new restrictions will be minimal.
"Everyone who wants to tailgate should be able to tailgate. We absolutely believe that," Gershman said. "This is designed to improve the experience for fans who want to tailgate."
The Dallas Cowboys instituted tailgating restrictions a year ago, limiting tailgaters in closest lots to perimeter parking spots. Similar restrictions will be in place at the team's new stadium this year. Cowboys fans were asked to purchase extra parking passes if their setups spilled over one parking space, and to keep their parties within set boundaries in an effort to facilitate traffic flow.
A Cowboys team official told the Dallas Morning News the response from fans was "excruciatingly positive," although some complained that the restrictions diminished their game-day experience.
The Redskins also announced that they will open a new gray lot off Landover Road, adding 3,000 new parking spaces to the stadium property and allowing "all fans with season parking the ability to park in lots on FedEx Field property, within sight and walking distance of the stadium." What was once the blue lot, on the grounds of Jericho City of Praise, will revert to the church. The team said it would institute new traffic flow patterns after games to ease congestion. "Cars exiting lots will be directed to dedicated traffic lanes, a procedure that has been in effect for pre-game traffic for several years," the Redskins' statement said.
It said the team also was in discussions with Prince George's County officials "on the possibility of making traffic one-way leading to the Beltway during peak post-game congestion around the stadium."

This post was prepared as a service to the DCSportbikes.net community. Neither the DCSportbikes.net ADMINS nor any of the moderators, makes any warranty, expressed or implied, or assumes any legal liability or responsibility for the accuracy, completeness, or usefulness of any information, product, link, or process disclosed, or represents that its use would not infringe privately owned rights. Reference herein to any specific commercial products, process, or service by trade name, trademark manufacturer, or otherwise, does not necessarily constitute or imply its endorsement, recommendation, or favoring by DCSportbikes.net. The opinions of this author expressed herein do not necessarily state or reflect those of the DCSportbikes.net community, and shall not be used for advertising or product endorsement purposes.
__________________________________________________ ________

Alex
13 Honda Fury
  Facebook Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to spud Send a message via MSN to spud  
Unread
  (#2)
Mommy's Little Monster

June 23, 2009, 09:16 AM

I see the point, but I think it's total crap.

I wake up 6 hours earlier than everyone else for a reason. I drive out to FedEx early and wait in line before the gates open to get my tailgate spot. I take up 2 spots and have a great time. Come 12:00 we're told to vacate one spot so the latecomers can park. I have no problems with that and clear a spot.

The people who get out there early to experience all game day has to offer, to support the team, deserve to have a good tailgate. (And this goes for any NFL team.) Half the reason I go is to have fun during the tailgate times, see friends, grill, and throw the football around.

If they take that away, I prob wont go this year. Total bullshit.

2018 BMW R1200 GS
2016 Yamaha FJ-09
2014 Honda CB500X
2007 Suzuki DRZ 400SM
2007 Suzuki GSXR 600
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#3)
Street Bonk Bum.....

June 23, 2009, 09:18 AM

WEAKSAUCE

CCS AM # 204
Unread
  (#4)
opossum puncher

June 23, 2009, 09:22 AM

Hmmm, tough call, I can see both sides.

-
Attack Life! It's going to kill you anyway.

08 Z1000

Go Hokies!
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to zx6rfool  
Unread
  (#5)
Site ADMIN

June 23, 2009, 09:24 AM

maybe there's a better way. 1 hour before game starts is not enough time to clear out the tailgater spots...

maybe 2 hours before and have the parking lot guys roam around and radio in where the open spots are??

This post was prepared as a service to the DCSportbikes.net community. Neither the DCSportbikes.net ADMINS nor any of the moderators, makes any warranty, expressed or implied, or assumes any legal liability or responsibility for the accuracy, completeness, or usefulness of any information, product, link, or process disclosed, or represents that its use would not infringe privately owned rights. Reference herein to any specific commercial products, process, or service by trade name, trademark manufacturer, or otherwise, does not necessarily constitute or imply its endorsement, recommendation, or favoring by DCSportbikes.net. The opinions of this author expressed herein do not necessarily state or reflect those of the DCSportbikes.net community, and shall not be used for advertising or product endorsement purposes.
__________________________________________________ ________

Alex
13 Honda Fury
  Facebook Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to spud Send a message via MSN to spud  
Unread
  (#6)
opossum puncher

June 23, 2009, 09:28 AM

I think that would be a logistical night mare. Plus I think the other issue is traffic leaving, where people who tail gate usually stay, and the others dont, so if they were at the front of the lot they wouldnt have to filter though parking spots to get out. At VT we were only allowed to tail gate in specific lots.

-
Attack Life! It's going to kill you anyway.

08 Z1000

Go Hokies!
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to zx6rfool  
Unread
  (#7)
Mommy's Little Monster

June 23, 2009, 09:32 AM

I think its a dumb dumb move to piss off the old school, hard core fans, the ones that keep paying for tickets season after season no matter what. They're the ones you're gonna be pissing off. I dont see how the people complaining even have a case, if you want a better or bigger spot, get there earlier! Simple as that.

In terms of leaving after the game, I dont really have a response or answer, it sucks either way. Either leave early, or suck it up and deal with it like everyone else.

2018 BMW R1200 GS
2016 Yamaha FJ-09
2014 Honda CB500X
2007 Suzuki DRZ 400SM
2007 Suzuki GSXR 600
Unread
  (#8)
Riding is like Sex. WEEE!

June 23, 2009, 09:36 AM

I think by restricting the tailgating to a certain area you are ruining the festiveness and social interaction of a Redskins game. Tailgating is what makes the Redskins games so much fun. They had a special about it on HBO.

Having fun? Let's fuck with it and make it not fun anymore. Lets make more laws and restirctions in this "free" state.

"Riding a race bike is an art - a thing that you do because you feel something inside."

"I don't like being famous - it is like a prison. And driving for Ferrari would make it far worse."

"I race to win. If I am on the bike or in a car it will always be the same."

"I'm Valentino Rossi. And I want to be a person, not an icon."

Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to Rossi Send a message via AIM to Rossi Send a message via Skype™ to Rossi 
Unread
  (#9)
GP Champ

June 23, 2009, 09:47 AM

The real hardcore fans are gonig to come anyway. Regardless of some silly rule we're still going to come. We're still going to buy our tickets. Still, it makes it more friendly to visiting team fans. I like making them uncomfortable on the way in and out of the stadium. We're losing our home field advantage more every year.

What they really need to do is make selling your tickets to fans of other teams grounds for losing your season ticket rights.
Unread
  (#10)
AMA Superbike Champ

June 23, 2009, 09:49 AM

Skins have no problems selling tickets. They can make changes to the rules because it won't affect their sales one tiny bit. If every "old school" fan decides to boycott going to games, there are plenty of fans that'll gladly slide right in to their spots. It definitely sucks, but it's all about the golden rule. He who has the gold makes the rules.

'08 CBR 600RR
'04 CBR 600RR track
www.MohawkRyderz.com
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to MatDady1  
Unread
  (#11)
and go

June 23, 2009, 09:50 AM

wah wah wah. maybe they can actually win more than a few games this year....
Unread
  (#12)
Riding is like Sex. WEEE!

June 23, 2009, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by girlwithabike View Post
wah wah wah. maybe they can actually win more than a few games this year....
I could care less if they win. I am a Giants fan. But the games are fun to go to because of the tailgating.

So wah wah wah... STFU with your useless spam.

"Riding a race bike is an art - a thing that you do because you feel something inside."

"I don't like being famous - it is like a prison. And driving for Ferrari would make it far worse."

"I race to win. If I am on the bike or in a car it will always be the same."

"I'm Valentino Rossi. And I want to be a person, not an icon."

Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to Rossi Send a message via AIM to Rossi Send a message via Skype™ to Rossi 
Unread
  (#13)
Mommy's Little Monster

June 23, 2009, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossi View Post
So wah wah wah... STFU with your useless spam.
HUGE +1.

This thread has absolutely nothing to do with any team winning or losing, it's about the tailgating experience for the fans.

2018 BMW R1200 GS
2016 Yamaha FJ-09
2014 Honda CB500X
2007 Suzuki DRZ 400SM
2007 Suzuki GSXR 600
Unread
  (#14)
Crackdays for everyone!

June 23, 2009, 11:12 AM

Fed-Ex is such a cluster fuck. I really really hate that place. I have the option through the family to get free tickets and parking passes and I still only make little effort to go. I think the location sucks. The lack of planning getting in and out of that place is appalling. I like tailgating and all but the way it goes down at Fed Ex is fucking retarded. I love how I get there and I have to drive pass areas of tailgaters that take up five spaces for there tailgating plus all the cars they have brought. I find it amazing that some people dont even go into the stadium. They spend the whole time in the lot. As much as I love tailgating it pains me to say that I think there should be a separate area for it. I just dont see any other way of how to control it.

But really, nothing they do will ever make me want to see a game at Fed Ex. Getting to and from the game is a nightmare. And tops my list of reason's I very rarely go to a skins game.

Matt K.
09 R6
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to ZX-Matt  
Unread
  (#15)
TPG og

June 23, 2009, 05:20 PM

ban tailgating, Dan Snyder needs a new yacht! Gotta milk those $9 beers and $8 hamburger concessions all he can.
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to b00st