DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 539
1 members and 538 guests
GRN96WS6
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Non-Sportbike Forums > Non-Sportbike Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools
Refrigerator repair in Alexandria?
Unread
  (#1)
SIN MC President

Refrigerator repair in Alexandria? - November 1, 2012, 09:27 AM

Anyone have suggestions on a repair service in the Alexandria area? The refrigerator in my condo isnt cooling as it should.. I tried to DIY it, but clearly I'm an idiot with these things. Anyone reputable that you trust?

make: GE Profile
Model #: PDS20MCPWW
S/N: SF051970

#22 TOTNAC
STRENGTH IN NUMBERS MC

Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#2)
5 yrs till Brood X emerge

November 1, 2012, 11:39 AM

If it just seems to be down on cooling capacity but is running OK otherwise, you might try what has worked on two different refrigerators I've seen. One of them was mine.

Unplug refrigerator, pull it away from the wall, clean the coils on the back, underneath, etc. Clear all the dust bunnies away front & back to ensure good thermal exchange w/ coils and air.

Make sure it's sat for an hour or two unplugged. Then plug it back in.

Both times, after plugging in, frig ran just fine afterwards. Not saying it will fix yours, but you might try it if you didn't already.
Unread
  (#3)
SIN MC President

November 1, 2012, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by morsetaper2 View Post
If it just seems to be down on cooling capacity but is running OK otherwise, you might try what has worked on two different refrigerators I've seen. One of them was mine.

Unplug refrigerator, pull it away from the wall, clean the coils on the back, underneath, etc. Clear all the dust bunnies away front & back to ensure good thermal exchange w/ coils and air.

Make sure it's sat for an hour or two unplugged. Then plug it back in.

Both times, after plugging in, frig ran just fine afterwards. Not saying it will fix yours, but you might try it if you didn't already.
I did clean off all of the crap off of the coils, and fan blade, etc.. It cooled down a bit(48F), but not to optimal temperature(33F).. It's back up again(60F).

#22 TOTNAC
STRENGTH IN NUMBERS MC

Unread
  (#4)
Suddenly Superstitious!!!

November 1, 2012, 02:00 PM

Empty the freezer side. Pull the back panel. Most likely the coils are frozen over. If you leave it unplugged overnight they should melt clear. (Or you can speed it up with a hair dryer - an hour / heat gun - 15 minutes)

If this is your problem then you will have it working for a while. Won't be fixed, but will work until you can get a repairman over. It's either a circuit board ($400-$500 typical for the service call) Or you would need a new refrigerator.

I've been through this multiple times on different fridges. Planned obsolescence sucks.

I want my baby back, baby back, baby back....Chileeeeee's bay back...
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to MudDawg  
Unread
  (#5)
Wheely

November 19, 2012, 10:29 AM

Clean the coil with a vaccum. Also check in the freezer and fridge bottoms for a drain tube. It sometimes get plugged and will cause it not to work. The freezer one may even be clogged with ice.
Unread
  (#6)
Я - Ребенок Люциферов

November 19, 2012, 11:04 AM

Side question.....
Have anyone seen a Freezer that you can put outside? I have a covered and screened deck and want to put a chest freezer on it lol inside space is limited.

The Nightmare of Summit Point
WERA Nov# 325 / CCS # 326
2016 ZX10R ABS (Street) | 2011 ZX10RR(Race)
2011 R6 (Street & Track) | 2009 WR250F
GunnRunnaz.com|GR on FaceBook | www.2666ad.com|
  Facebook Page MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via MSN to vonstallin