DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 511
2 members and 509 guests
davidcycle, GRN96WS6
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Non-Sportbike Forums > Non-Sportbike Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools
Remembering 9/11
Unread
  (#1)
Mommy's Little Monster

Remembering 9/11 - September 11, 2008, 05:34 AM

As I'm sure everyone else is remembering today as well, I just want to take a moment to thank our men and women in the service, for protecting our freedom. And to all of those who were affected or lost loved ones and friends, just know that they're not forgotten.

My Dad was in the Pentagon that morning. He had planned to retire in October of 2001 from the Air Force. Early that morning he was on the side of the building where the plane hit, at the retirement offices filling out, and going through paperwork. He was back at his desk on the other side of the building for no more than 10 minutes when the plane struck. I'll never forget watching the news feed at school and feeling my heart sink to the bottom of my chest, just wondering and hoping. Later on, I was pulled out of class by administration and was instructed to call home. Talk about the worst feeling you could possibly feel. The phone rang and I began to cry when I heard my Dad's voice answer the phone.

Every time I think back it brings tears to my eyes, just knowing how close my family came. I know there are tons of stories like mine, how people were not where they were supposed to be that morning. I'd like to hear them, if you want to share. They remind me how we really are watched over, even in our darkest hours.

" Think about the love inside the strength of heart
Think about the heroes saving life in the dark
Climbing higher through the fire, time was running out
Never knowing you weren't going to be coming down alive
But you still came back for me
You were strong and you believed

Everything is gonna be alright
Be strong. Believe.
Be strong. Believe.

Think about the chance I never had to say
Thank you for giving up your life that day
Never fearing, only hearing voices calling out
Let it all go, the life that you know, just to bring it down alive
And you still came back for me
You were strong and you believed"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z_YEhaw8Op8

2018 BMW R1200 GS
2016 Yamaha FJ-09
2014 Honda CB500X
2007 Suzuki DRZ 400SM
2007 Suzuki GSXR 600
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#2)
someone adopt a newb

September 11, 2008, 05:56 AM

First off tell your dad thanks for his service. Second I am glad to hear he was/is ok. I still remember waking for school that day and hearing my mom come home. First thing I thought was why is she home? Second thing is why is she crying?? I ended up going to school even though I didnt want to. The drive there and back was something out of a bad dream. So many cars, every single one seemed to listening to the news. Everywhere I looked people were in shock (myself included). I know some people want to forget what happened. They try not to think about it. I don't know a day that goes by that I don't think about what happened. So many people gone in an instant..others lives changed forever. I am glad there are people like your dad and the other guys I know who served. Without them we wouldn't have the freedoms we enjoy today. So to all those on .net that served. THANK YOU.
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to flynmnky  
Unread
  (#3)
Licensed Rider

September 11, 2008, 06:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flynmnky
First off tell your dad thanks for his service. Second I am glad to hear he was/is ok. .... I know some people want to forget what happened. They try not to think about it. I don't know a day that goes by that I don't think about what happened. So many people gone in an instant..others lives changed forever. I am glad there are people like your dad and the other guys I know who served. Without them we wouldn't have the freedoms we enjoy today. So to all those on .net that served. THANK YOU.
+1
Unread
  (#4)
ISO a Sugar Mama

September 11, 2008, 06:38 AM

I love this country and am proud to be an American.

"Take care of new riders, we were them, and they will be us." Dragula.

Canon shooter
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to Rolex006  
Unread
  (#5)
The last urrbendah

September 11, 2008, 07:04 AM

I was at Ft. Myer, sitting downstairs in the Regimental Orientation Program Office listening to the radio with my NCOIC when they announced a small plane had hit the tower. We ran up to the dayroom to see everything unfolding on CNN and were actually watching when the second plane hit.

We watched intently until the building shook and I ran outside to see smoke rising over the horizon in the direction of the Pentagon. My friend SSG Hastings had been in Sword and Sabre training that morning and was running across the street screaming that a plane had just crossed over Myer and crashed. I told him that it most likely had hit the Pentagon and that two other planes had smashed into the twin towers in NYC.

The entire base went into lockdown until a plan was developed. We ended up deploying to the Pentagon the following day and started doing remains recovery and cleanup for two weeks. It was the best and worst two weeks of my life. It exposed me to things I could have lived without ever seeing but also gave me friendships that will last a lifetime.

RIP John. I know you never got over the things you saw then and went back for some revenge. I hope your soul rests in peace. Honor Guard brother.

13 KTM 200 XC-W
15 KTM 350 XC-F

I might have a dirt bike problem.
Unread
  (#6)
> 6'3" need not apply!

September 11, 2008, 07:11 AM

This day is a hard day for me. I was IN the Pentagon that morning, at work. I had just started working there in June of 2001, so I was just learning my way around there. I had been on the side of the building, too, about 30 minutes before the plane hit.

We were in the office, watching the t.v. in the conference room. All shocked about the WTC happenings. We wondered who would be hit next and semi-jokingly wondered if we'd be a target. Just as soon as we thought that, we forgot about it and went back to our desk, while listening to the reports.

I remember talking to my dad, who was working at Dulles Airport at the time. I wanted to make sure he was aware of what was going on and that the airport wasn't the best place to be. He said he was aware and was trying to leave. I hung up with him.

While my hand was still on the phone, there was a HUGE BOOM!! The building shook and the stuff from the ceiling fell on us. We looked at each other and wondered if the other felt that. (stupid question, now) We chatted among ourselves, not knowing what happened. All we thought was that there was more construction going on, as we always heard construction racket all the time.

We went back to work. The Colonel came screaming in the office telling us to MOVE OUT!! We were like, "Huh?". See, we were in a SAP Scif and double doors from the hallway. We couldnt' hear the commotion out there. We gathered our stuff, logged off our computers, locked our safes. WE DIDN'T KNOW!!

Still, as we shuffled through the halls to get outside, we all stood there and looked at the BIG ball of fire that looked like it reached the sky. Still, we didn't know. We thought it was a construction project gone wrong. Someone told us to move further out to the parking lot. Duh.

It wasn't until we got to the parking lot, that we realized what happened from listening to someones car radio.

Needless to say, we all got out safe. We lost one of our guys who worked on that side of the building. I returned to the office 2 days later. We all walked around with our masks on and just sort of dazed.

That's my story in a nutshell. 9/11 is a day I will NEVER forget.

Stacey
Blue 2005 SV650S (totaled)

Last edited by stacey86; September 11, 2008 at 07:15 AM..
Unread
  (#7)
Elite Racing

September 11, 2008, 08:10 AM

Rob, thanks for sharing your story.

To all the men and women who are serving our country and have served our country, THANK YOU!

To all the men and women and children whose lives were tragically cut short that fateful day, we will never forget.

Chris
Elite Racing
CCS AM #458

Godspeed Bam Bam

VFR Matt: gotta be a winner at something. Cant reach for the stars mind well be king of suck
tecknojoe: we could get together at my house and mount my trailor
vonstallin: whack one off 4 me henrey
thefitzvh: I'm the assholist asshole that ever assholed
Unread
  (#8)
GP Racer

September 11, 2008, 08:23 AM

yeh bad day in america indeed, i cant believe its been 7 years
i was at school when it all happened but we had no tv so we had no clue what was going on but had got a phone call saying something bout a plane but no details..after about a few hours everything got crazy i lived on the base at that time it took me 3 hours to get on base cause it was locked down, soon to find out my now new litle sister mom died at the pentagon when the plane hit!! R.I.P. to everyone!
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to islandboy  
Unread
  (#9)
Officially Addicted to Posting

September 11, 2008, 11:07 AM

I was talking to a colleague who used to work for Booz with me. The morning of Sept. 11 he had two choices...go into work for an a.m. meeting (at the Pentagon) or skip the meeting and take his daughter to her first day of kindergarten. His wife told him that he would take her, but he insisted on dropping his little girl off on her first day. After dropping her off he made a phone call to his coworkers in the meeting to let them know he was on his way in. While on the phone with them, the plane struck the building and everyone in that room was killed.

A short while later helped with rescue efforts within the Pentagon and told me horrific stories of the things he saw. He said fire had ripped through that wing of the building so fast and so hot, that people were literally suspended in time. Charred bodies at their desks with phones still to their ears. A woman still standing with her hand on a filing cabinet. Truly, truly horrific sights.

As has already been said, God Bless all the men, women, and children who were affected by what happend on September 11. Thinking back on what happened that day definitely puts things into perspective. I know a lot of us (definitely myself included) have our differences on this site and sometimes personal issues boil over, but at the end of the day we are all people. We all have emotion. We all have friends and family who love us. I can personally say that despite all the back and forth that tends to go on, on this site, I would never wish something as tragic as the loss of life or loved ones upon anyone here.

Unread
  (#10)
#47 GODSPEED BAMBAM

September 11, 2008, 11:14 AM

www.RnRcycles.com

Home of RNR Repsol Racing.

Missing all my fallen friends and family! If Life Was Easy Then Everyone Would Do It!
Unread
  (#11)
Riding is like Sex. WEEE!

September 11, 2008, 12:37 PM

As the world marks the seventh anniversary of the attack on the twin towers, we look back at the key events of that day .
7.58 - United Airlines Flight 175 to Los Angeles leaves Boston's Logan Airport with 65 people on board, including five suspected hijackers.
8.01 - United Airlines Flight 93 to San Francisco leaves Newark Airport in New Jersey with 45 people on board, including four suspected hijackers.
8.02 - American Airlines Flight 11 to Los Angeles leaves Boston's Logan Airport with 92 people and five suspected hijackers on board.
8. 10 - American Airlines Flight 77 to Los Angeles leaves Washington DC's Dulles Airport with 64 people on board, including five suspected hijackers.
8.28 - An air traffic controller hears one of the hijackers speaking from the cockpit of Flight 11, saying: "Don't do anything foolish. You are not going to get hurt. We have other planes."
l 8.43 - Two F-15 fighters take off after authorities confirm that Flight 175 has also been hijacked.
l 8.46 - Flight 11 crashes into the north tower of the World Trade Center.
9.03 - Flight 175 crashes into the south tower of the World Trade Center.
9.10 - President George Bush is told of the attacks. He had been reading to children in a classroom.
9.29 - Eyewitnesses report seeing people jumping from the Twin Towers.
9.40 - Flight 77 crashes into the Pentagon in Washington DC, causing the collapse of a five-storey section of the building and killing 190 people inside.
9.58 - A passenger from Flight 93 makes an emergency call saying: "We are being hijacked!"
10.03 - Flight 93 crashes 80 miles south east of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. Its intended target was believed to be Washington.
10.05 - The south tower collapses, 62 minutes after being hit.
10.29 - The north tower collapses. The death toll was feared to be as high as 20,000 but gradually dropped to about 2,800.

"Riding a race bike is an art - a thing that you do because you feel something inside."

"I don't like being famous - it is like a prison. And driving for Ferrari would make it far worse."

"I race to win. If I am on the bike or in a car it will always be the same."

"I'm Valentino Rossi. And I want to be a person, not an icon."

Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to Rossi Send a message via AIM to Rossi Send a message via Skype™ to Rossi 
Unread
  (#12)
Riding is like Sex. WEEE!

September 11, 2008, 12:45 PM

Never Forget!!

I know atrocities happen all over the world, but this happened in our home.
The attackers blame the government and our way of life, but no matter what civilians should never be targeted or used as pawns for a change in ideals. I may be a liberal, but I am a patriot and as one I will do my part to keep Americans safe. Do your part to rememeber and support those that have fallen. Living in fear and appeasing the Terrorism ideal is why terrorists attack. The moment we rationalize terrorism in any form is when we acknowledge that these attacks are effective in changing our stances and way of life.
I am proud to be an American, Veteran, and a Patriot. I hope you all are too.

"Riding a race bike is an art - a thing that you do because you feel something inside."

"I don't like being famous - it is like a prison. And driving for Ferrari would make it far worse."

"I race to win. If I am on the bike or in a car it will always be the same."

"I'm Valentino Rossi. And I want to be a person, not an icon."

Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to Rossi Send a message via AIM to Rossi Send a message via Skype™ to Rossi 
Unread
  (#13)
I'm so tired

September 11, 2008, 02:33 PM

I got the call to watch the news that morning and turned it on just in time to see the second plane hit the tower. The feeling I got after that is indescribable. I watched the towers come down and felt sick. I was going to head to work, but as told not to come in. We were told to work from home if possible. I was working at AOL so there was a lot of news that needed to go up on the site as it came in.

Soon after...I was called in to my Army Reserve unit to do a year of MP duty at Aberdeen Proving Grounds, MD.

I will never forget.

Myke
- 2015 Ducati Scrambler Full Throttle
- 2009 Ducati Hypermotard 1100S
- 2009 Yamaha Zuma 125
- 1999 Triumph Sprint ST (Sold)
- 2001 Suzuki DR650 (Sold)

R.I.P. my friends;
Karl Michael "Dragula" Meckenberg
Greg "BamBam" Walker
Jeff Vega
Totnac
Unread
  (#14)
www.udothedishes.com

September 11, 2008, 03:16 PM

I was a senior in high school in Northern Virginia when it happened. I heard two teachers talking in the hall and saying "a bomb went off in the Pentagon." At the time, my father was in the Air Force stationed at the Pentagon so I instantly freaked out. Not, ten minutes later I got a letter from the calling me to the office. I just knew my father was dead. I ran straight from my class to my car and streaked out of the parking lot toward 495. At this time the radio blared that another plane had hit the WTC so I was not only confused “another plane? What?” but scared to death. I lost my breath, eyes blurred and zoned out finding myself at home instead of on the beltway. I walk in the door and run up to my dad’s room and he was sitting on his bed watching the tower go down. He was going in late today to get a new ID card for my mom. That was the only reason he wasn’t in the building at the time.
It turns out the note came from the office because my mom was there to pick me up and let me know my dad was okay. Probably, the most terrifying day of my life.

Next - ?
05 Yamaha R6 - Street (SOLD)
Unread
  (#15)
The last urrbendah

September 11, 2008, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTG40cal

A short while later helped with rescue efforts within the Pentagon and told me horrific stories of the things he saw. He said fire had ripped through that wing of the building so fast and so hot, that people were literally suspended in time. Charred bodies at their desks with phones still to their ears. A woman still standing with her hand on a filing cabinet. Truly, truly horrific sights.
They were the lucky ones. The not so fortunate were the ones trapped in the upper floors who died from smoke inhalation.

13 KTM 200 XC-W
15 KTM 350 XC-F

I might have a dirt bike problem.