DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 507
1 members and 506 guests
tonetone
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Non-Sportbike Forums > Non-Sportbike Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools
replacement windows and sliding patio doors in northern VA
Unread
  (#1)
just some dude

replacement windows and sliding patio doors in northern VA - October 18, 2010, 03:14 PM

my townhouse was built in 1991, and the original windows and both sliding patio doors are starting to fog up and need to be replaced. i'm just beginning my research on google, but thought i'd see if anyone here had any good experiences with a local shop.

the two shops i have in mind are long fence and thompson creek.

what's an average price to pay get windows installed? two sliding patio doors installed?

any heads-up warnings i should know about, e.g. don't bother paying extra for unobtainium super-duper glass coating because it's a waste of money?

2013 Toyota Prius C4, holding up traffic...
2009 FZ1 (R-77 carbon exhaust, PC V, BMC air filter, D-shaped 'flies, chopped airbox and AIS, FCE; SW-Motech toprack and quick-release siderack, E55 topcase, pair of V35 sidecase, Woodcraft frame sliders)
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to novasquid Send a message via AIM to novasquid  
Unread
  (#2)
Mojito Anyone?

October 18, 2010, 03:33 PM

you CANNOT skimp on the Unobtanium coated windows. TRUST ME

ay ya yay
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to onel0wcubn Send a message via AIM to onel0wcubn  
Unread
  (#3)
just some dude

October 18, 2010, 03:58 PM

if this special glass coating gives me x-ray vision for when the cute girl a few houses down is out walking her dog, i'm sold!

2009 FZ1 (R-77 carbon exhaust, PC V, BMC air filter, D-shaped 'flies, chopped airbox and AIS, FCE; SW-Motech toprack and quick-release siderack, E55 topcase, pair of V35 sidecase, Woodcraft frame sliders)
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to novasquid Send a message via AIM to novasquid  
Unread
  (#4)
GP Champ

October 18, 2010, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by novasquid View Post
my townhouse was built in 1991, and the original windows and both sliding patio doors are starting to fog up and need to be replaced. i'm just beginning my research on google, but thought i'd see if anyone here had any good experiences with a local shop.

what's an average price to pay get windows installed? two sliding patio doors installed?

any heads-up warnings i should know about, e.g. don't bother paying extra for unobtainium super-duper glass coating because it's a waste of money?

Both of them suck moose balls. Over priced for the quality of work. Prince William Home Improvement, and JABS are decent. There Is a window manufacturer on Telegraph road in Lorton that makes good widows for a reasonable price. I am sorry I cannot remember the name..

Last edited by Space; October 18, 2010 at 06:34 PM..
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#5)
GP Champ

October 18, 2010, 06:34 PM

Jabs Construction, Inc. | Home
Unread
  (#6)
GP Racer

October 18, 2010, 08:27 PM

I was trying to reply earlier, but onel0w's avatar kept distracting me...which is NOT a bad thing.

We did Thompson Creek windows and a sliding glass door on the first level of our previous home. The product is fine, as was the installation, but as has been noted, the price point is very high. For that reason, we went with a different company for our second floor, and we were satisfied with their product and work, but I'll have to dig up their card because I can't remember their name off-hand.
Unread
  (#7)
GP Racer

October 19, 2010, 07:30 AM

Stay away from the larger companies (Thompson Creek, Long). Over priced and shoddy workmanship.

Loudoun exteriors (sp?). They did the work at a good friends house, all 20+ windows. Excellent price, delivery, workmanship.

Yamaha FZ8
Husqvarna TE310R ---
Unread
  (#8)
Signed up for Track Days!

October 19, 2010, 08:21 AM

I had all the windows in my townhouse replaced last year. I used a company called Windows on Washington to do the installation and I was (and continue to be) pleased with the quality of the work. The windows themselves are Simonton but I don't remember exactly which model off the top of my head. Price was was far more reasonable than the "big name" companies. Just make sure you get at least 3 or 4 different quotes to compare.
Unread
  (#9)
just some dude

October 19, 2010, 09:22 AM

thanks for all the replies and pm's, looks like i've got a few solid leads.

Unread
  (#10)
Mohawk Ryderz Prez

October 19, 2010, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by novasquid View Post

PM sent

www.MohawkRyderz.com
http://www.Facebook.com/MohawkRyderz
http://www.twitter.com/MohawkRyderz

2012 zx10r
2004 Cbr1000rr black - Sold
2006 R1 anniversary edition - Sold
2006 Gsxr 600 red/blk - Sold
2006 Gsxr 600 flat Green/Silver - Sold
2007 Gsxr 600 flat blk/pink - wifey's Sold
2004 Yamaha R1 Black Sold
2003 Hayabusa orange Sold
2006 zx6r blk mobile jukebox (contest winner-hater's bike)Sold
2004 R6 blk/red Sold
2007 zx10r blue Sold
2005 zx6r red Sold
2003 R6 blk sold
2007 zx6r blk sold
2003 R6 red sold
2001 ducati 900ss sold
1996 zx6e sold

Xbox 360 - (Mohawk Ryderz)
  Facebook Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#11)
5 yrs till Brood X emerge

October 19, 2010, 11:43 AM

For a price-point of reference I am slated to get my windows installed here in the next two weeks. I went w/ an outfit that several of my neighbors used and were very happy with. My townhouse was built in '86. the orig windows are horrible!

These new windows are Dove 6000 series. The window guy offered 3 levels. The low and mid levels are double pane, high grade is triple pane. I took the mid grade. I want to be out of the townhouse in 2 years so I didn't go w/ top line. Price was $6300 installed. The windows qualify for the energy tax credit.

I am having installed: 1 sliding rear patio door (w/ grids), 9 double hung windows (6 over 6 grids). And a half window in the basement (no grid).

That's a very competitive price based on the quotes I got and what my neighbors have paid for there installations.
Unread
  (#12)
Being nice :)

October 19, 2010, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by morsetaper2 View Post
For a price-point of reference I am slated to get my windows installed here in the next two weeks. I went w/ an outfit that several of my neighbors used and were very happy with. My townhouse was built in '86. the orig windows are horrible!

These new windows are Dove 6000 series. The window guy offered 3 levels. The low and mid levels are double pane, high grade is triple pane. I took the mid grade. I want to be out of the townhouse in 2 years so I didn't go w/ top line. Price was $6300 installed. The windows qualify for the energy tax credit.

I am having installed: 1 sliding rear patio door (w/ grids), 9 double hung windows (6 over 6 grids). And a half window in the basement (no grid).

That's a very competitive price based on the quotes I got and what my neighbors have paid for there installations.
That's decent.

I had an 8' "custom" door installed along w. the front door w/ storm door for $2,500 from Home Depot.

You're Welcome...
Unread
  (#13)
GP Champ

October 20, 2010, 03:30 AM

As stated the larger company's usually suck ballz.

I tried finding a company to do my windows because I had no time to do it.
Had bad experience with Long fence and also Prince William home improv. company.

Had to kick the PW home guy out of my house, they were way over priced. Could have been just the special pricing he was giving me...high price special. Douchebag! lol
So after dealing with these dumb azz companys I decided to do the work myself. Very easy to do.

I would seek out smaller companys, check references, make sure they are legit company too. Don't be scared to ask for any info to make sure they are legit.
Also be weary of some folks opinions. I've had others tell me a company did a great job on something only to find out when I actaully saw the work, it was not so great. Shortcuts taken, shabby work etc. Remember these people are hiring a company because they don't have the experience or knowledge to do it themselves. So unless it's something major like a cracked glass they won't notice any incorrect or shabby work, etc.
Example friend praised how great the company was, they installed triple pane windows too and they only charged $8000...blah blah blah. I put my hand around the window frame and could feel a bad breeze. Yup, you guessed it. They did not use sealant and there was a large gap between the frame and window.

Hope that helps.

Last edited by Trireme; October 20, 2010 at 03:36 AM..
Unread
  (#14)
GP Racer

October 20, 2010, 07:42 PM

I had long fence quote me on 19 windows.....their price was 25K no I'm not lying...I laughed and told them to get lost. I went with a local company near me (note I do not live in VA) and ended up paying $5700 for double hung tilt in windows and I'm very satisfied as I've already seen electric bill improvements.

I would never recommend long fence or Thompson creek ever.

Tommy

MSF Graduate 9-25-05
13 DRZ400SM Sold 6-21-16
06 R6 Raven Sold 4-23-15