DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 548
1 members and 547 guests
scarab
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Non-Sportbike Forums > Non-Sportbike Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools
Replacing Kia a/c compressor
Unread
  (#1)
GP Champ

Replacing Kia a/c compressor - May 13, 2013, 11:51 AM

Looks like the clutch in the a/c compressor in my 06 Kia Sorento is locked up. I generally don't like working on cars/trucks so I took it to the local garage. They want $1200 to fix so I suddenly find myself liking to work on it. Junk yard in frederick has used compressors for $200, new aftermarket runs about $320. I'm leaning towards the used one. Any particularly good junk yards in the area that might have better deals or better warranties (frederick joint is 120 day warranty)?
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#2)
AMA Superbike Champ

May 13, 2013, 12:08 PM

Try Crazyrays in Mt. Airy or Jessup. Pick and pull it yourself and will only run you about $40 for the compressor. Another benefit is getting a chance to take apart/break stuff before you try on your own vehicle, lol. If you have some free time, it's worth saving the extra money. No refunds, warranties or gaurentee though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KirkRoy View Post
Looks like the clutch in the a/c compressor in my 06 Kia Sorento is locked up. I generally don't like working on cars/trucks so I took it to the local garage. They want $1200 to fix so I suddenly find myself liking to work on it. Junk yard in frederick has used compressors for $200, new aftermarket runs about $320. I'm leaning towards the used one. Any particularly good junk yards in the area that might have better deals or better warranties (frederick joint is 120 day warranty)?

Last edited by BrianRacerboy; May 13, 2013 at 12:15 PM..
Unread
  (#3)
GP Champ

May 13, 2013, 12:23 PM

Very cool, I didn't know there were junk yards that still worked that way. I will check them out. Thanks!
Unread
  (#4)
Your Ad Here

May 13, 2013, 01:32 PM

Slow: The cheapest way to fix an A/C Compressor on a Kia is by replacing the Kia.

“Any man who tries to be good all the time is bound to come to ruin among the great number who are not good. Hence a Prince who wants to keep his authority must learn how not to be good, and use that knowledge, or refrain from using it, as necessity requires”.

- Nicolo Machiavelli 1469-1527

Facebook Page MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#5)
AMA Superbike Champ

May 13, 2013, 01:36 PM

Which means Kirkboy will not have any problems at all finding parts at the Junkyard, lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heist View Post
Slow: The cheapest way to fix an A/C Compressor on a Kia is by replacing the Kia.
Unread
  (#6)
GP Champ

May 13, 2013, 02:04 PM

Bah, I like this thing. Haven't needed much in 122k miles. Hmm, this may actually be the first repair... I can't immediately think of any other repairs so far. I do have some front rotors to put on but, at this mileage, I don't think that's unexpected.
Unread
  (#7)
AMA Superbike Champ

May 13, 2013, 06:29 PM

how do u know its locked? did the belt break? make sure test everything before you start working on it. i just did some ac work on my uncles Sorento.

2005 Yamaha R6 Raven
1982 Suzuki GS650L
1974 Honda CB550 (Cafe' racer Project)
1971 Honda CB450 (currently restoring to stock may be a future Cafe')
Unread
  (#8)
GP Champ

May 13, 2013, 06:39 PM

Honestly I haven't even opened the hood yet. I figured it just needed freon and I don't have the gauges so I took it to the local shop to get them to do it. They told me the clutch is locked. I will actually look at it before I do anything.
Unread
  (#9)
GP Racer

May 13, 2013, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blkr6 View Post
how do u know its locked? did the belt break? make sure test everything before you start working on it. i just did some ac work on my uncles Sorento.
The AC compressor locks up can be many different reasons. It's easy to replace the compressor. But charging the system and also introducing the oil into the system is difficult if you don't have the machine.

I suggest you replacing the compressor on your own and having a shop charge the system.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

99 CBR 600 F4 "Black Betty"
05 CBR 600 RR (Stolen)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch View Post
yes .net is serious business, we only talk about bikes and bike related things EVAH!
* Disclaimer - Bad Speller
  Facebook Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#10)
AMA Superbike Champ

May 13, 2013, 06:54 PM

you have to do some testing. shop told my uncle that it needed a compressor, i checked it out and it was a very simple loose connection.

2005 Yamaha R6 Raven
1982 Suzuki GS650L
1974 Honda CB550 (Cafe' racer Project)
1971 Honda CB450 (currently restoring to stock may be a future Cafe')
Unread
  (#11)
GP Champ

May 13, 2013, 07:58 PM

Man I love kicking around junkyards! There used to be a bunch of u pull its here in NOVA on Rt 1 and in Manassas, but thanks to a certain group of people constantly stealing ish they are no longer u pull it yards. Kirkroy if you want some company when you go let me know!
Unread
  (#12)
GP Champ

May 14, 2013, 05:27 AM

Yeah, I'll check it out further before I do anything. The mechanic did say he checked the electrical stuff and it has power but that the thing will not turn, even with some force. Planning to make a day of it with the wife at the jessup location and then doing something in the baltimore area. I need some wheels for my toolbox...