DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 550
2 members and 548 guests
davidcycle, Scot
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Non-Sportbike Forums > Non-Sportbike Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools
Replacing a Lost Car Key/Fob
Unread
  (#1)
Can't work my clutch!!

Replacing a Lost Car Key/Fob - January 14, 2015, 12:20 PM

So I lost the key to my 2012 GMC Acadia at work in NE yesterday. I assume it dropped on the sidewalk as I was fiddling with my gloves in my jacket pocket. More than likely, someone picked it up and either kept it, or turned it into one of random buildings near my office.

I've already got a replacement remote and a blank transponder key ordered but needed some advice on what I should do next. I know I can get the key cut and programmed on my own. The problem is the remote/fob. Everything I've read says that it's a dealer or auto locksmith job using a code scanner.

1) Should I just go to the dealer with the new fob and get raped over the labor charges to program it? I would think that I'd need them to delete the lost remote fob from the car in the off chance someone is walking around my office trying to find which car the keys they found open.

2) Know of any local auto locksmiths that can both program the new remote AND delete the old one?

15 Star Bolt R-Spec
09 600RR ABS
07 600RR
01 GSXR600
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#2)
i suck at the introweb

January 14, 2015, 12:44 PM

Sounds similar to VW/Audi. I believe GM started using a similar system around 2012? If so sorry only the dealer can do the programming. It will be very hard to find a locksmith that has the computer system needed to do the programming. With VW/Audi the key has an RFID chip that the car recognizes in order to start. The computer will be cleared and reprogrammed to keys on hand. You must bring all active keys if so. 1 key will be the same price to program as 5. Whatever keys are not present when reprogramming will no longer work, so this is the time to get extra copies. I saved money with my VW by ordering a blank fob and key online, and my local locksmith could only cut it. Cost a total of $50 a key vs $195 at the dealer. Still had to pay the 1 hour labor no matter what to have them programmed. I made 3 new copies.

Never be afraid that your life will end, only be afraid that it will never begin!

You Learn when your young, and understand when your older!
Unread
  (#3)
Can't work my clutch!!

January 15, 2015, 11:43 AM

Looks like I'm headed to the dealer to program my shit when they arrive. My GMC dealer is gonna make a killing off of me over the next 10 years. Last time I went in, I needed them to change a daytime running light bulb since you had to drop the fender and go in through the wheel well.....45 minute job for a god damn $2 light bulb!

15 Star Bolt R-Spec
09 600RR ABS
07 600RR
01 GSXR600
Unread
  (#4)
opossum puncher

January 15, 2015, 01:43 PM

Dealer from what Ive seen, I have an 08 Equinox and every locksmith I called said sorry your are SOL, and the dealer wanted 300 to program the key and remote, plus $ for the key and remote.

-
Attack Life! It's going to kill you anyway.

08 Z1000

Go Hokies!
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to zx6rfool  
Unread
  (#5)
All weather rider

January 15, 2015, 03:28 PM

Not only does the key need to be cut and programmed...depending upon the make and model, you may need to bring the car to the dealer so that it also can it can also be programmed to "learn" a particular new key. If you've built a relationship with this dealer, ask the manager what's the best he can do about cutting you a deal as well as a key. They know that you'll be grateful, and that you will remain a repeat customer.

Note to all people buying a new car: before you sign on the dotted line, you have all the leverage. Bring four unprogrammed blanks with you, and after you've forged your best deal, say "yeah, and can you also cut program these for me?" They're not going to want to let you walk away from a sale over 20 minutes of cutting/programming time.