DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 325
4 members and 321 guests
2blueyam, HotRod1200, legendindisguise, Sal_the_man
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Non-Sportbike Forums > Non-Sportbike Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools
Republicans Vote Against FCC Mandated Net Neutrality
Unread
  (#1)
Your Ad Here

Republicans Vote Against FCC Mandated Net Neutrality - April 8, 2011, 10:33 PM

So while we were all focused on the budget crisis, the Republicans snuck this one under our noses.

Seriously guys? You want an unfair and unequal Internet?

U.S. House votes against FCC 'open' Internet rules 04/08 04:21 PM

* Republicans say FCC should not regulate Internet

* Democrats say check needed on big ISPs' power

(Adds Stearns, Waxman comments, background, byline) By Kevin Drawbaugh WASHINGTON, April 8 (Reuters) -

The U.S. House of Representatives voted on Friday to disapprove Internet "neutrality" rules that were adopted last year to keep big Internet providers from blocking certain traffic House Republicans, winning by a vote of 240 to 179, pushed through a measure against the U.S. Federal Communications Commission rule affecting tech and telecom giants ranging from Verizon Communications Inc to Microsoft Corp .

A similar measure has been offered in the U.S. Senate. However, the White House said on Monday that President Barack Obama's advisers would recommend he veto such a resolution. The FCC rules, approved in late December, banned Internet service providers from blocking traffic on their networks, while allowing providers -- such as Verizon , Comcast Corp and AT&T Inc -- to "reasonably" manage their networks and charge consumers based on usage. Republicans argued in House debate that the FCC's rules needlessly impose government regulation on the Internet. "The FCC has never had the authority to regulate the Internet," said Republican Representative Cliff Stearns. Democrats replied that the FCC rules are needed to curb the growing market power of large service providers.

Disapproving the FCC rules "would give big phone and cable companies control over what websites Americans can visit, what applications they can run, and what devices they can use," said Democratic Representative Henry Waxman. The U.S. Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia on Monday dismissed challenges to the FCC rules that had been filed by Verizon and MetroPCS Communications Inc , ruling that the challenges were premature. "In most parts of the country, companies like Verizon , AT&T, and Comcast have a virtual monopoly over access to the Internet," Waxman said. "Without regulation, they can choke off innovation by charging for the right to communicate with their customers." (Editing by Gary Hill)

“Any man who tries to be good all the time is bound to come to ruin among the great number who are not good. Hence a Prince who wants to keep his authority must learn how not to be good, and use that knowledge, or refrain from using it, as necessity requires”.

- Nicolo Machiavelli 1469-1527

Facebook Page MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#2)
otb
AMA Superbike Champ

April 9, 2011, 06:20 AM

Of course, we KNOW there is no other side to the issue, right? And we KNOW that the legislation as presented is GREAT, right? And we KNOW that the Government ALWAYS makes better long-term choices than the market, RIGHT?

I like the concept of an open a free internet....but, giving the FCC power over it...not so much.

I sure I'll get blasted here, but, oh well.

Riding fast bikes slowly since 1969....
Unread
  (#3)
otb
AMA Superbike Champ

April 9, 2011, 06:24 AM

PS: I love regulation of situations that MAY happen.....
Give me more government, please...I like it when Big Daddy tells me what is good for me....

Riding fast bikes slowly since 1969....
Unread
  (#4)
SRWJTS SGT-At-Arms

April 9, 2011, 06:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by otb
Of course, we KNOW there is no other side to the issue, right? And we KNOW that the legislation as presented is GREAT, right? And we KNOW that the Government ALWAYS makes better long-term choices than the market, RIGHT?

I like the concept of an open a free internet....but, giving the FCC power over it...not so much.

I sure I'll get blasted here, but, oh well.
+1...

The fccs proposed rules were poorly written and rife with problems

-Fitz

2016 Harley Softail Slim S
2012 Harley Ultra Limited in Ultra Annoying Orange Sold!
2012 V-Strom 1000 Sold!
2009 Buell 1125R Sold!
2005 Superhawk Sold!
2001 Superhawk Abandoned!
1981 CB650C Destroyed!

Brace Yourselves... the cries of "It's too cold to ride" are coming...
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#5)
All weather rider

April 9, 2011, 07:23 AM

This is about the Govt protecting your rights, not taking them away. An environmental law regulating the amount of lead and mercury emissions from a coal-fired power plant, or regulating feces runoff from a chicken farm to a stream where you live is giving you power where you would otherwise be powerless.
Unread
  (#6)
Say Jur Oh

April 9, 2011, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heist View Post
So while we were all focused on the budget crisis, the Republicans snuck this one under our noses.

[SARCASM]
Yes I'm sure unfair and unequal Internet is the Republican agenda.

I'm sure more crack babies is also the Republican agenda for disfavoring abortion.
[/SARCASM]

I assume because you sound just like the typical Democrat propaganda machine, that you're a Democrat.

Seriously, what the fuck is up with all the out-of-context cheap shotting, straw man arguments, and bullshit coming from the left in the last few years?

Yeah the far right seemed to have gone far righter (fucking crazy) lately but two wrongs hardly make a right.

Your malicious summarization, putting words in their mouths, is bullshit. No, the Republicans are not in favor of the population being price-gouged and shackled by completely unregulated ISPs.

The ends DO NOT justify the means. They are saying No to these specific means, not the end result.

Also, nothing was fucking "snuck". There is always some sort of scandal going on. Every last bill goes through the same process with the same visibility. If no special interest group was paying attention to come poke the people in to hysteria, blame the special interest group, or blame yourself for not paying enough attention.

Come on man you're smarter than this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillie View Post
I'm not saying this site has a bunch of gay dudes on it but a few of you definitely lack a bumpstop on the sexuality gate.
Quote:
Here is my anus! Deliver thy penis unto it!

Greg "BamBam" Walker
September 11th 2009
You are missed
Godspeed
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to Seijirou  
Unread
  (#7)
Your Ad Here

April 9, 2011, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seijirou View Post
Seriously, what the fuck is up with all the out-of-context cheap shotting, straw man arguments, and bullshit coming from the left in the last few years?

Yeah the far right seemed to have gone far righter (fucking crazy) lately but two wrongs hardly make a right.

Your malicious summarization, putting words in their mouths, is bullshit. No, the Republicans are not in favor of the population being price-gouged and shackled by completely unregulated ISPs.

The ends DO NOT justify the means. They are saying No to these specific means, not the end result.

Also, nothing was fucking "snuck". There is always some sort of scandal going on. Every last bill goes through the same process with the same visibility. If no special interest group was paying attention to come poke the people in to hysteria, blame the special interest group, or blame yourself for not paying enough attention.

HJ Res 37

240 seats held by R.
234 R votes to end Net Neutrality.
4 R's did not vote.

99.1% of the R's voted to end Net Neutrality.

Numbers do not lie.

Where am I being out of context?
Where is the malicious summarization or putting words in anyone's mouth.

If the R's do not like the means of plan, where is their plan and proposed end result?

Wouldn't it be prudent to present this before striking down the only regulation in place even if you believe it to be imperfect?

“Any man who tries to be good all the time is bound to come to ruin among the great number who are not good. Hence a Prince who wants to keep his authority must learn how not to be good, and use that knowledge, or refrain from using it, as necessity requires”.

Unread
  (#8)
GP Champ

April 9, 2011, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by otb View Post
PS: I love regulation of situations that MAY happen.....
Give me more government, please...I like it when Big Daddy tells me what is good for me....
I'm assuming you're enjoying this economic meltdown and recession we're in. Since after all, the catalyst that gave it the open invitation to occur was the DE-REGULATION of banking systems.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phogroian View Post
This is about the Govt protecting your rights, not taking them away. An environmental law regulating the amount of lead and mercury emissions from a coal-fired power plant, or regulating feces runoff from a chicken farm to a stream where you live is giving you power where you would otherwise be powerless.
That's just more Regulation! Absolutely unecessary! Damn the Big Government for trying to protect us! <sarcastic>

Quote:

You're smarter too man. You know that is the name of politics. I agree that "bashing" either side is childish, but doesn't change the fact that this is a bad bill to pass. Of course, assuming that the language is specific enough in what the FCC is really allowed to do. Which....I'm sure neither of us think it was.
Unread
  (#9)
Say Jur Oh

April 9, 2011, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Quote:
HJ Res 37

240 seats held by R.
234 R votes to end Net Neutrality.
4 R's did not vote.

99.1% of the R's voted to end Net Neutrality.

Numbers do not lie.
The R's voted against the terms by which Net Neutrality was attempted. This is an example of malicious summarization. You are over-simplifying their action in order to support the negative picture that you want to paint.

Quote:
Where am I being out of context?
Where is the malicious summarization or putting words in anyone's mouth.
Right here.
Quote:
I already pointed it out in my first post.
Quote:
Originally Posted by seijirou
[SARCASM]
Yes I'm sure unfair and unequal Internet is the Republican agenda.

I'm sure more crack babies is also the Republican agenda for disfavoring abortion.
[/SARCASM]
I already addressed it in my first post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by seijirou
No, the Republicans are not in favor of the population being price-gouged and shackled by completely unregulated ISPs.
Quote:
If the R's do not like the means of plan, where is their plan and proposed end result?

Wouldn't it be prudent to present this before striking down the only regulation in place even if you believe it to be imperfect?
Maybe you just don't know how Congress works. It is the far opposite of prudent just to vote in crap because there isn't an alternative right that very second. That is the height of irresponsibility.

You don't tie down your infant in a car with rope because you don't have the car seat built yet. You wait for the car seat.

Quote:
I'm not saying this site has a bunch of gay dudes on it but a few of you definitely lack a bumpstop on the sexuality gate.
Quote:

Greg "BamBam" Walker
September 11th 2009
You are missed
Godspeed
Unread
  (#10)
Say Jur Oh

April 9, 2011, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nootherids View Post
You're smarter too man. You know that is the name of politics. I agree that "bashing" either side is childish, but doesn't change the fact that this is a bad bill to pass. Of course, assuming that the language is specific enough in what the FCC is really allowed to do. Which....I'm sure neither of us think it was.
I don't know the specifics of the bill. And yeah, politics is politics. Let me correct my statement in that this bill was no more snuck in than any other. I hear moanings about bills being snuck by several times a year. If "we the people" can't learn our lesson on bills we think are being "snuck by", the blame lies with us.
If we're resting on our laurels and hoping some special interest group will alert us to bills we wouldn't like in time to voice our complaints, the blame lies with us.

I just take contention with the interpretation twisting. If there's a bill for banning infanticide, but it also had a line item granting 500 billion for research on why prisoners want to escape from prison, and I voted it down because that research is fucking stupid. Some asshole will print on the paper the next day that I support the murder of children.
That's the malicious word twisting I'm talking about. That's an extreme example, but it's the same thing.

Quote:
Quote:

Greg "BamBam" Walker
September 11th 2009
You are missed
Godspeed
Unread
  (#11)
Derpentine Dealer

April 9, 2011, 11:20 AM

How's my posting? Please direct all concerns and inquiries to DCSBN's chief content manager, Hollywood, via PM.
Unread
  (#12)
Your Ad Here

April 9, 2011, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeShirtDude View Post
L M A O !!!
Continuing along the "tube" theme, they need to do another remix using this as the background music!

Unread
  (#13)
Derpetologist

April 9, 2011, 12:07 PM

Quote:
I just take contention with the interpretation twisting. If there's a bill for banning infanticide, but it also had a line item granting 500 billion for research on why prisoners want to escape from prison, and I voted it down because that research is fucking stupid. Some asshole will print on the paper the next day that I support the murder of children.
That's the malicious word twisting I'm talking about. That's an extreme example, but it's the same thing.
this happens much

*Not intended to be a factual statement.
Unread
  (#14)
GP Champ

April 9, 2011, 02:19 PM

Quote:
I don't know the specifics of the bill. And yeah, politics is politics. Let me correct my statement in that this bill was no more snuck in than any other. I hear moanings about bills being snuck by several times a year. If "we the people" can't learn our lesson on bills we think are being "snuck by", the blame lies with us.
If we're resting on our laurels and hoping some special interest group will alert us to bills we wouldn't like in time to voice our complaints, the blame lies with us.

Too true!

And as far as bills being snuck in...they're not. At least not if you watch CNN 24 hours a day. It's all public record, nobody's hiding it. But in the example you said about "sneaking in" riders and addendums, yeah, those are political low blows. Our system is fucked regardless. I think this is the perfect time for somebody to develop an organized political group for the Independents. Our two party system is way too out of whack.
Unread
  (#15)
TPG og

April 9, 2011, 08:44 PM

I like my internet open. I don't want Verizon slowing down a competing video site. All of these things is what the ISPS want to do... they hate Netflix because they'd rather you pay for their services. I don't want censored internet. Then again, the FCC are complicit in me having to watch South Park and Always Sunny in Philadelphia with bleeps... "for the children".
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to b00st