DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 254
1 members and 253 guests
Sal_the_man
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Non-Sportbike Forums > Non-Sportbike Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools
Residents Pawning Valuables for Gas Money
Unread
  (#1)
Face Down @$$ UP

Residents Pawning Valuables for Gas Money - April 21, 2006, 12:18 PM

CUMBERLAND, MD- High gas prices have some people driving less and looking for extra cash anywhere they can find it and it has some hitting the pavement to the closest pawn shop.

“We get a lot of people in here to sell and the biggest thing is a lot of them said I can't afford to pick it back up because I need the money to get back to work, just for gas,” said Stanley Kline, owner of Kline’s Pawn Shop.

One pawn shop told NBC25 that while they usually don't hear why people are coming in, they have seen an increase in business over the last two months as gasoline prices have continued to rise.

Stanley Kline's family has owned the shop for years. He's got the business up for sale for a variety of reasons but lack of business is not one of them.

“Yes, I do better when things are bad but that's not the way I like to look at it. I like to look at it like I’m doing a service and have items for people buy. They don't have to go out and pay the top dollar for things,” said Kline.

Most people bring in small items, enough to walk away with somewhere between 20 and a $100 dollars.

One person brought in a car this week to get a loan.

“Because gas went up so high, she couldn't afford to drive to work. So, what she's done, she's actually putting money into her daughter's car which is more economical and they're sharing the vehicle,” said Kline.

For some, it comes down to either being able to afford the gas or the car.

Kline said not only are more people trying to get extra cash by pawning things, he's getting more business from people who don't want to pay full price for new products at the store.

Reported by Justin Quesinberry
justinq@nbc25.com

"If brains were gas. You wouldnt have enough gas, to drive a piss-ants' motorcycle, half-way around a BB."
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to WvGoDFather Send a message via MSN to WvGoDFather  
Unread
  (#2)
Addicted to Cajen food...

April 21, 2006, 12:21 PM

This was on CNN this morning while I was at the gym... incredible, pawning for gas.
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#3)
Squid Rider 4 Life!!

April 21, 2006, 12:22 PM

yeah people were pawing the lawnmowers??
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to ArRrR6  
Unread
  (#4)
Posting Nothing Relevant

April 21, 2006, 12:24 PM

that brings back some memories from last spring when i was traveling every weekend trying to get things set up to get out of the army. i pawned more than half my DVD's (still have to many left), and a bunch of PS2 games that i never played. sucks so bad knowing you have to do it just to function and it almost becomes a source of income for a few weeks.

The East Coast Kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossi
This is America I can shit where I want. FREEDOM!!!
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to eck226 Send a message via AIM to eck226  
Unread
  (#5)

April 21, 2006, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eck226
that brings back some memories from last spring when i was traveling every weekend trying to get things set up to get out of the army. i pawned more than half my DVD's (still have to many left), and a bunch of PS2 games that i never played. sucks so bad knowing you have to do it just to function and it almost becomes a source of income for a few weeks.
No doubt dude. People hit rough waters from time to time.
Unread
  (#6)
Squid Rider 4 Life!!

April 21, 2006, 12:28 PM

I wonder if motorcycles sales will increase this year because of gas prices................ Hmmmmm 13-16bucks for a full tank that will get to the same place and faster or 40-100 bucks for a cage..........??
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to ArRrR6  
Unread
  (#7)

April 21, 2006, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArRrR6
I wonder if motorcycles sales will increase this year because of gas prices................ Hmmmmm 13-16bucks for a full tank that will get to the same place and faster or 40-100 bucks for a cage..........??
There is already an increase in mopeds on the road... I swear I saw a "moped gang" on 7 yesterday... 10 of them riding together, BWAAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!

To stay on topic though, I wouldn't be surprised... which would be good for the bikers. More riders means more people are aware that we are out there.
Unread
  (#8)
rdg
best avatar in the biz

April 21, 2006, 12:32 PM

this is why I *hate* our current tax break on buying new eco-hybrid-save-the-trees cars.

Here's Gula's plan for a change -

Tax breaks on any vehicle that gets 40+mpg in the city, but not this stupid $2,000 break on the first 60,000 sold by each manufacturer or whatever.. instead...

anyone that files taxes and has less than $20,000 individiual income or $40,000 household income - total refund and just work it from there so that the incentive is over by the time you hit the mid level of the middle class.

The poor need the tax break, and a $2000 refund on a $25,000 car isn't helping anyone except yuppies.
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#9)
Face Down @$$ UP

April 21, 2006, 12:36 PM

Great we already have MS-13..whats next the Moped Mafia 49cc.
1 kid was arrested and the other shot by police in DC I think 2 days ago after fleeing the scene of the attempted robbery. One was one a pocket rocket resembling the ninja, and the other was on a little 60 or 80 quad. You deft'ly are not out running the radio, one of those.
Yea, you do have a good point there Lao, more groups of riders, no matter what they are one would increase awareness for caged drivers.

"If brains were gas. You wouldnt have enough gas, to drive a piss-ants' motorcycle, half-way around a BB."
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to WvGoDFather Send a message via MSN to WvGoDFather  
Unread
  (#10)
Posting Nothing Relevant

April 21, 2006, 12:51 PM

my plan is to go back and look at peoples vehicle registration. if they have not registered a car vehicle in the past say, 5 years, that did not get more than 20mpg city, then they are by law required to ride a moped/scooter for their day to day transportation.

and instate a law that by 2011, all personally owned vehicle are required to get a minimum of 25mpg city. work trucks (non government) may be on the road from 6am-6pm after that the owner of the company gets a fine for not having his men back on time.

just a thought, critque as you see fit

The East Coast Kid

Quote:
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to eck226 Send a message via AIM to eck226  
Unread
  (#11)
rdg
best avatar in the biz

April 21, 2006, 12:58 PM

Quote:
and instate a law that by 2011, all personally owned vehicle are required to get a minimum of 25mpg city.
You find a way for my truck to get 25mpg and still tow 6000lbs and I'd consider that.

Quote:
work trucks (non government) may be on the road from 6am-6pm after that the owner of the company gets a fine for not having his men back on time.
So from 6pm to 6am you're just going to turn off the nation's economy?

Solutions should improve the environment and the economy, not sacrifice one for the other.
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#12)
Posting Nothing Relevant

April 21, 2006, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevegula
You find a way for my truck to get 25mpg and still tow 6000lbs and I'd consider that.
why do you need a truck to pull 6000lbs to go to and from work? unless it is for work, then see those times of operation. im not say it cant get less, just that if it does, it should be used solely as a work truck. or if you need to really tow things Chevy has some trucks that get that, maybe not 6000lbs, but what weighs that much that you are towing? and toyota is supposed to have a hybrid tundra out soon that will tow the same as a normal one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevegula
So from 6pm to 6am you're just going to turn off the nation's economy?
how is this stopping the the economy, all it does is stop the trucks from being on the road and giving long distance haulers the time off they need to sleep and drive safely. most deliveries are taken during the day anyways.

The East Coast Kid

Quote:
Unread
  (#13)
I am a bitch, so what?

April 21, 2006, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eck226
why do you need a truck to pull 6000lbs to go to and from work? unless it is for work, then see those times of operation. im not say it cant get less, just that if it does, it should be used solely as a work truck. or if you need to really tow things Chevy has some trucks that get that, maybe not 6000lbs, but what weighs that much that you are towing? and toyota is supposed to have a hybrid tundra out soon that will tow the same as a normal one.

how is this stopping the the economy, all it does is stop the trucks from being on the road and giving long distance haulers the time off they need to sleep and drive safely. most deliveries are taken during the day anyways.
SO you're saying that I need to buy 2 vehicles? I have a truck to tow my bike and my horse. I don't want or can't afford to run 2 vehicles. My solution, I work right down the street from where I live. Saves me bunches on gas.

And as for getting trucks of the road at 6. That's just funny. I work in construction and our guys work from anywhere from 4am - 11 pm. Now try telling my customers why their projects aren't done cause my guys can't be there.

Every time we hold our tongues instead of returning the sharp retort, show patience with another's faults, show a little more love and kindness, we are helping to stock-pile more of these peace-bringing qualities in the world instead of armaments for war. -- Constance Foster
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to RRSheDevil Send a message via AIM to RRSheDevil  
Unread
  (#14)
B
It goes to 11.

April 21, 2006, 02:10 PM

How about this bright guys... fund alternate sources of fuel that at the very least will be stable. Gas goes up and down, well not really down, fifty cents every month, we are doing nothing to harness all the kinetic energy a car wastes. While you cannot recapture ALL of the energy expended you can capture much of it and reuse it, and each time you reuse it you increase mileage over fuel quantity. A perfect system would recapture the work expended for movement but that isn't really possible.

Hydrogen seems to be quite close to the answer we need to fossil fuels despite the fact that the initial startup might be quite expensive. Figure with all the hype and difficulty in the Mid-east gas will easily be over $4 in a year or two. It's silly to fine people who don't have an alternative. Make an alternative.

SV650s for SALE!!!
- 2007 SV650 Racebike-Superbike KWS/Thermosman suspension/Swenz bodywork/All GSXR Parts
- 2009 SV650 Streetbike Race blue with white stripe/No wrecks/fully faired with M4 full system

Shoot me a PM or talk to Nate (Nudist) if you're interested in purchase.
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to B  
Unread
  (#15)
Posting Nothing Relevant

April 21, 2006, 02:12 PM

here is a good question, gas comes from oil, so why when i go to change the oil in my car does the price not change for a quart? only place we are getting royaly f*ed is by the refineries greedy ass.

The East Coast Kid

Quote: