DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 193
1 members and 192 guests
tonetone
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Non-Sportbike Forums > Non-Sportbike Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools
Reston Grand Prix Race Report
Unread
  (#1)
AMA Superbike Champ

Reston Grand Prix Race Report - June 28, 2009, 08:19 PM

So I know a few of you guys also like pedaling once in a while. I ride quite a bit, both mtn and road and hit the local cycling club rides on Tues/Thurs nights. There are plenty of racers that come out for those rides, wearing their team kits (mostly local guys with local teams, but it's great for training because the rides are fast). A few of my friends have joined one of the teams and started racing. I've always enjoyed watching, but never really considered entering a road race because, well, I really like my skin and bones intact.

But something changed this year. These guys I know were racing, but I was the one leading them around the club rides, esp on the hillier routes. So I entered my first race a month ago. Short, fast course. 35+ Cat 4/5. Stayed near the front, out of trouble and finished 7th. Ahead of ALL the local team members I know (and was only beaten by Cat 4s).

So today came my second race. Cat 5 on a technical course downtown. In fact, 8 turns total with one of them failry treacherous as it funnels into a much tighter lane and starts uphill from a screaming downhill. So the gun goes off and what happens...I slip out of my cleat and almost dump it on the line. Awesome start. I'm at the back of a 43 man field and have to work my way up, but after two laps, I'm in contention again and sitting in, trying to conserve power. The pace is fast, over 25 mph at this point. There are some breaks, but nothing that can stick. We're lapping riders now. With 5 laps to go, there are only 25 riders left. Two laps to go, and I'm feeling good. I see my girlfriend as I pass the start finish and give her the thumbs up as I throw away my waterbottle to get rid of that extra weight. Last lap, I'm in 5th. Someone goes off the front and I go with him. We hit the downhill turns with no brakes at all thru the turns. We hit that "funnel" 1, 2 and behind me I hear a huge crash happen toward the back of the pack. I look back and we have about 50 feet on the field. I see he's starting to crack. Dammit, I wanted to ride his wheel a little further. WAY too early for me to go now. But I have to. I may get reeled in and crushed in the end, but I'm not just going to let these guys ride up on me for a free ride. Two turns left, I'm still out front. One turn, dammit, nobody's caught me yet, but that line seems like it's getting FURTHER away. I mash the pedals. My legs are on fire. I shift up. THANK YOU Campy for multiple upshifts. HAMMER, HAMMER, HAMMER and I held them off for the WIN!!!! Can't believe it. There were some VERY fast riders, but the long uphill finish was to my advantage. I LOVE HILLS.

Sorry for such a long report, but had to share since I'm still feeling the glow.
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to CBontheMV  
Unread
  (#2)
Elite Racing

June 28, 2009, 08:26 PM

Cool report!

I've always wanted to do a race....one day, maybe.

Chris
Elite Racing
CCS AM #458

Godspeed Bam Bam

VFR Matt: gotta be a winner at something. Cant reach for the stars mind well be king of suck
tecknojoe: we could get together at my house and mount my trailor
vonstallin: whack one off 4 me henrey
thefitzvh: I'm the assholist asshole that ever assholed
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#3)
GP Racer

June 28, 2009, 08:34 PM

Awesome! I'm slow...no race for me.
Unread
  (#4)
AMA Superbike Champ

June 28, 2009, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Castle228 View Post
Cool report!

I've always wanted to do a race....one day, maybe.
Yeah, I just got the bug this year and took the plunge. I don't want to be on my deathbed and ever say, "I wish I'd tried..."

Track days here I come...
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to CBontheMV  
?
Unread
  (#5)
"?"

? - June 28, 2009, 08:49 PM

nice report! rode by earlier and was like damn these guys are flying!
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#6)
( * )|( * )

June 28, 2009, 09:35 PM

Excellent! Congrats!!!

Chris
2008 MARRC AM Racer of the Year