DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 586
6 members and 580 guests
drt_Jumper, GRN96WS6, Heist, HotRod1200, R6SP, RileysDad
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 04:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Non-Sportbike Forums > Non-Sportbike Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools
Ring Security: Who use it? how do you like it?
Unread
  (#1)
Я - Ребенок Люциферов

Exclamation Ring Security: Who use it? how do you like it? - October 24, 2018, 04:33 PM

I am looking to expand my video/audio security at my Primary house in DC and vacation house in Va.

In va i have 8 Swan security cameras, but I want something with the capability to do Audio, so I can scare off potential burgers or delivery guys.

In DC I do not have anything and it will be harder to set up a system since I do want electric.

I am thinking about a full Ring system for DC, and Ring doorbell/security light audio system for Va.

Anyone have Ring? Pro/Con what do you like? what do you dislike?
Do you pay for the recording plan?

https://shop.ring.com/collections/vi...j3uBmBgDDwBE0Q

The Nightmare of Summit Point
WERA Nov# 325 / CCS # 326
2016 ZX10R ABS (Street) | 2011 ZX10RR(Race)
2011 R6 (Street & Track) | 2009 WR250F
GunnRunnaz.com|GR on FaceBook | www.2666ad.com|
  Facebook Page MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via MSN to vonstallin  
Unread
  (#2)
↓ dn ʎɐʍ sıɥʇ ↓

October 25, 2018, 09:46 AM

I've used them in the past but recently only use their doorbell.

The system works well for what it is and remote access is great while also being one of the least expensive cloud options.

If you're looking for decent notifications and easy two-way communication via an app then Ring is one of the better options to choose from.

I still prefer IP cameras with a dedicated NVR and 24/7 on-site recording (with a copy sent off-site).

-Ryan
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#3)
Licensed Rider

October 25, 2018, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vonstallin View Post
Anyone have Ring? Pro/Con what do you like? what do you dislike? Do you pay for the recording plan?
We use the Ring Doorbell 2 and like it quite a bit. I wouldn't own one without the recording plan, but I think it was only $30 for the year. By the time you get the alert most of the action is over, so the recording is a must have. The recordings are saved in Amazon's cloud and as far as I can tell is unlimited storage. They may drop off after a certain amount of time, but I've yet to see it. I delete them occasionally just to clean them up. That's the System Admin in me. You can view the recorded videos with an app on your phone or online. Online makes it very easy to save the videos to local storage (I believe in MP4 format) for you to share.

It works well, the camera is HD and is very wide angle. I can see my entire front yard and with it. When you first get it, you've got to spend some time setting it up, because the default settings don't include "live view" which we use all the time but drains the battery faster. You can also change the range of the motion detection and include/exclude "zones". The battery lasts around 10 days the way we have it set up, but it will supposedly last 30 with the default settings. Additional batteries are cheap, and it takes around 6 hours to fully charge it.

The first Doorbell is similar but the camera is a lesser resolution. The Pro requires that you have wiring for a traditional doorbell in place which we don't.

They have complete systems other than just the Doorbell, and we may add on to our system eventually. For now, we are glad we have it.

2012 Kawasaki Ninja 650

Last edited by RobertJ; October 25, 2018 at 10:16 AM..
Unread
  (#4)
What is a chicken strip?

October 25, 2018, 02:51 PM

Do you want wired or wireless?

Do you care about the security of the system itself? ie cloud storage vs onsite storage (NVR) or both?

There is alot to think about...I tossed the idea around alot before settling on my IP cams.
Unread
  (#5)
Always Tinkering

October 25, 2018, 04:10 PM

Thought I would chime in too, We use Yi cameras for both inside and outside. We love them and recommend them to everyone who comes over.

Couple key points why we choose it

Its two way talk and very good quality.
You can push to talk or open 2-way talk
(We have them in each of the kids rooms as well and the Family rooms and when its time for them to turn off the TV or go to bed I can tell them from my office)

No central system, you can buy one and then another later and keep adding as they link to your wifi and smart phones. (We now have several in and outside our home)

Real time mobile view in HD, with mobile recording viewing. You just swipe to go back in recording, its really seamless.

Full 360 motion from the mobile app

All features can be accessed from a computer or mobile, and the mobile app is really really well made and easy to use.

Storage contained in each camera and/or on the cloud.
(We use 64 GB micro sds in each which record about a week and loop)

Accurate Motion detection

Very affordable, they are like 50 bucks a camera, +15 bucks for the SD cards and there is no additional or monthly cost, unless you choose to also elect for cloud storage.

Set up is a breeze and comes with mounting hardware.

Here is the inside camera
https://www.amazon.com/YI-Wireless-S...-8&keywords=yi
Here is the outdoor camera
https://www.amazon.com/YI-Waterproof...2C+1080p&psc=1

A side note, we use the indoor cameras all around (for both indoor and outdoor) I like being able to rotate my views and their outdoor camera is stationary.
In order to use the indoor camera out doors it has to be out of the direct weather, like in a carport, covered by a shed, on a covered patio, etc. I also used a hot glue gun and put a dab of hot glue over the sd card slot, microphone slot, and speaker slot in order to make the camera more resistant to the elements. It made no noticeable difference in sound and has worked perfectly now for several months since we installed it.

Seriously these things are awesome, as long as you have a good internet speed. We have very fast internet at both my home and office (300GB wifi) so I see essentially no lag time, click a camera and within 2 or 3 seconds its live, however if you have a slow wifi system this might not work as nicely. The second thing to keep in mind, is though the listening sound is loud, the talking out sound (what comes out of the camera) is like a talking voice level, meaning if your talking loudly, or playing music, or have the TV turned up real loud you may not here the person talking to you through the camera unless your paying attention to it.
Unread
  (#6)
Always Tinkering

October 25, 2018, 04:14 PM

Oh forgot to add, the night vision is excellent. We also use these as baby monitors which is really helpful.

Keep in mind that the night vision (with almost all cameras) inferred works only inside a room or outside of it. The glass mirrors refract the inferred so if you have one indoors, don't expect to see out of the window at night, you need to have one outdoors to see clearly at night.
Unread
  (#7)
↓ dn ʎɐʍ sıɥʇ ↓

October 28, 2018, 08:41 AM

I would strongly advise against Yi cameras, they arenít very secure.

We had some at a hack-a-thon that used them as a demonstration.

If you need a cheap solution for ad-hoc viewing (not inside of a home) then I donít see the harm as long as they are in a guest/dmz subnet.

I had a few for about a year but have since tossed them all in the trash, the cost savings isnít worth the risk.

-Ryan

Last edited by Dark; October 28, 2018 at 02:24 PM..
Unread
  (#8)
Я - Ребенок Люциферов

October 29, 2018, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtwinjunkie View Post
Do you want wired or wireless?

Do you care about the security of the system itself? ie cloud storage vs onsite storage (NVR) or both?

There is alot to think about...I tossed the idea around alot before settling on my IP cams.
Since I have the traditional (Swann) DVR system with 8 cams at my vacation house... I sort of want to keep this set up for DC, but....

I want to add Audio at vacation house. I've logged in and recorded folks just fucking around on my land and realized I can't scare them away. This is why i want to add audio. I figured doorbell to get a close look/picture of the face if they come to the door. Also to talk to UPS who tend to just leave my shit on the deck outside.

I wired up my vacation house thru the attic and it was not toooo bad (all hard wired)

DC would be hard as hell. My house in DC is 1923 brick and blaster and not allot of places to run behind.

SInce its a row house I think my best option will be Wireless system with DVR.

I can get to an electrical plug for the front cameras...not too hard/look bad... the back of the house is the easiest to wire up for either hard wire or wireless. Ive seen combo units. I had the back half of my house remodeled and have more outlets and enclosed deck to hid wires. If i go hard wire DVR route I can do it, but it will be harder than wireless system.

Id also want to complement my DC house with audio front and back.

In DC ive opened my garage door to find teenagers fucking...smh...some neighborhood theft used my back yard to toss and sort his stolen goods for about a year. I installed more lights and have not seen anything so far...but Id love to be able to have camera and audio to tell someone to flip her and hit that shit in doggy style for me....

lol...

so ring look like the best Audio option...

But I think id want hard wire? since i do not want to keep changing batteries.

I do not care as much about having cloud storage vs. DVR... id rather have the physical DVR on site.

At my va house Ive had internet go down (bad modem) but DVR still recorded... so id rather have it independent of the network.

Oh...but that means wifi cameras would not work also lol...hmmm

Last edited by vonstallin; October 29, 2018 at 04:48 PM..
  Facebook Page MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via MSN to vonstallin  
Unread
  (#9)
Я - Ребенок Люциферов

October 29, 2018, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinko View Post
Thought I would chime in too, We use Yi cameras for both inside and outside. We love them and recommend them to everyone who comes over.

Couple key points why we choose it

Its two way talk and very good quality.
You can push to talk or open 2-way talk
(We have them in each of the kids rooms as well and the Family rooms and when its time for them to turn off the TV or go to bed I can tell them from my office)

No central system, you can buy one and then another later and keep adding as they link to your wifi and smart phones. (We now have several in and outside our home)

Real time mobile view in HD, with mobile recording viewing. You just swipe to go back in recording, its really seamless.

Full 360 motion from the mobile app

All features can be accessed from a computer or mobile, and the mobile app is really really well made and easy to use.

Storage contained in each camera and/or on the cloud.
(We use 64 GB micro sds in each which record about a week and loop)

Accurate Motion detection

Very affordable, they are like 50 bucks a camera, +15 bucks for the SD cards and there is no additional or monthly cost, unless you choose to also elect for cloud storage.

Set up is a breeze and comes with mounting hardware.

Here is the inside camera
https://www.amazon.com/YI-Wireless-S...-8&keywords=yi
Here is the outdoor camera
https://www.amazon.com/YI-Waterproof...2C+1080p&psc=1

A side note, we use the indoor cameras all around (for both indoor and outdoor) I like being able to rotate my views and their outdoor camera is stationary.
In order to use the indoor camera out doors it has to be out of the direct weather, like in a carport, covered by a shed, on a covered patio, etc. I also used a hot glue gun and put a dab of hot glue over the sd card slot, microphone slot, and speaker slot in order to make the camera more resistant to the elements. It made no noticeable difference in sound and has worked perfectly now for several months since we installed it.

Seriously these things are awesome, as long as you have a good internet speed. We have very fast internet at both my home and office (300GB wifi) so I see essentially no lag time, click a camera and within 2 or 3 seconds its live, however if you have a slow wifi system this might not work as nicely. The second thing to keep in mind, is though the listening sound is loud, the talking out sound (what comes out of the camera) is like a talking voice level, meaning if your talking loudly, or playing music, or have the TV turned up real loud you may not here the person talking to you through the camera unless your paying attention to it.

Interesting... I use FIOS with like 75/75 if im not mistaken... also run all stream at home and two computers constantly....

To the cord plug into an outlet??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark View Post

If you need a cheap solution for ad-hoc viewing (not inside of a home) then I donít see the harm as long as they are in a guest/dmz subnet.

I had a few for about a year but have since tossed them all in the trash, the cost savings isnít worth the risk.

IF I looked at Yi it would be for outside cameras and inside my garage/basement in DC.

Unread
  (#10)
Your Ad Here

October 30, 2018, 09:55 PM

Black Friday specials at Costco. Not published yet but the leak shows the following:

$100 off Night Owl 8-channel 5MP DVR wired security system with four cameras, limit three. Sale price: $199.99
$170 off Arlo Pro smart home wireless security cameras three-pack, limit two. Sale price: $299.99
$150 off Lorex 8-channel 2TB HD DVR 4K wired security system with four cameras, limit three.

ďAny man who tries to be good all the time is bound to come to ruin among the great number who are not good. Hence a Prince who wants to keep his authority must learn how not to be good, and use that knowledge, or refrain from using it, as necessity requiresĒ.

- Nicolo Machiavelli 1469-1527

Facebook Page MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#11)
Always Tinkering

November 2, 2018, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark View Post

@Dark, Literally no wifi security camera system is very secure. But I need to be able to access it remotely and on the go, so this was the best option for me. Closed circuit was not practical for us.
Fire wall, VPN and passwords on both the system and indivudal camera. Without physically accessing the cameras, its a very slim chance that they will be hacked by anyone outside of Yi. IP logging would be a great feature for them to add to confirm this, but until then I will just have to trust in my precautions.