DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 562
1 members and 561 guests
fxc3700
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Non-Sportbike Forums > Non-Sportbike Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools
RIP Springfield Mall (Finally)
Unread
  (#1)
SRWJTS Recruiter

RIP Springfield Mall (Finally) - November 26, 2012, 07:04 PM

Demolition of Springfield Mall Underway - Kingstowne-Rose Hill, VA Patch

The official demolition of Springfield Mall began Monday morning, as construction crews make way for the new Springfield Town Center slated to be complete in the fall of 2014.

“We’re here today to celebrate a major milestone for this mall. It may not seem like a big deal to some people, but it is a big deal to people who live in Springfield and businesses in and around Springfield to see this process actually start. It’s taken a long time to get to this point,” Fairfax County Lee District Supervisor Jeff McKay said.

He was joined at the demolotion by officials from Vornado Realty Trust and Springfield civic groups.

The redevelopment of the mall and transformation into what will become an upscale town center is part of a three-year effort between the Fairfax County Board of Supervisors, Vorando, who owns the mall, and a handful of community organizations in the Springfield area.

The new development will have more than 7,000 square feet of mixed businesses such as retail, restaurants, a fitness center and a movie theater.

“For anyone who’s lived in the Springfield mall area for a long time like I have, this was the place to be. [The Board of Supervisors] approved some efforts to get the mall back to what it used to be and I think the final product will knock our socks off and will be something we can proud of having in Springfield again. There was a major downturn in the economy since the board approved this plan, but I think the strength of our local economy really shows its recovering well since we stand here today to start this process.” said McKay.

According to Mitchell Schear, president of Vornado/Charles E. Smith, interior demolition on the mall began in July. Anchor stores such as Macy’s, JCP, and Target have been open during construction and will remain open through the completion of the renovation.

All of the mall's stores except for anchor stores closed back in July.

“We’re excited to see what the new redone project will look like when complete,” sad Schear, who called McKay a “great advocate and partner” for the project. “The citizens recognized the potential for what the site represents and the history and saw that it could be something significant to be part of the future of Springfield.”

Schear said the plan is to have all of the new additions to the mall such as the movie theater and other components complete by fall 2014 in the first phase. Additional opportunities to add hotels and other places will likely come along in phase two of the renovation, sad McKay, but the deliberate goal of phase one was to reestablish the mall as a “retail giant” and make it a place residents want to visit to dine and shop.

“Our concern was the get the retail back up and thriving again. It was important that be handled in phase one,” said McKay. “The goal was to create a very dynamic mixed use town center that is state of the art that meets the demand of the residents and town centers.”

Phase two of the project will include ground-floor retail and upper-floor office space. Phase III will feature a stand-alone high-quality and high-density hotel and office space. Phase IV will complete the town center, with apartments and condominiums.

Bob Burns, one of the main managers in charge of the renovation’s daily operations, said the mall will be a reflection of how the industry has evolved. The town center will include a bigger presence and variety of entertainment.

“The name has changed from “mall” to “town center” and I think that’s indicative of the changes coming up,” said Burns.

Schear said the names of the new stores will be confidential for a while, but echoed Burns comments by calling the mix of new stores consistent with town centers in other areas.

The later phases of the redevelopment will take around 10 years to complete.

"Remember you may love your bike but your bike doesn't love you and that bitch will kill you the first time you do her wrong."

MARRC Cornerworker
http://www.marrc.org/

2010 Triumph Daytona 675 SE
2006 Yamaha R6 - Anniversary Edition - SOLD
2005 Yamaha R6 - SOLD
2001 Yamaha YZF600R - SOLD
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#2)
Knee Draggin!

November 26, 2012, 07:13 PM

When I was 16 I worked in the theater and a friend and I almost burned the place down. I can't say if we were on something slightly illegal.
Unread
  (#3)
GP Champ

November 26, 2012, 07:20 PM

Dang, I saw Star Wars there.
Unread
  (#4)
AMA Superbike Champ

November 26, 2012, 07:20 PM

I remember the first time I was raped at Springfield mall... RIP

2005 R6 Raven
2007 DRZ400SM
Unread
  (#5)
whoa preppy......

November 26, 2012, 07:23 PM

I used to skip highschool and hang out there back in the 80s. Sad face.

2018 XSR700
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2019 Honda Monkey
2019 Z900 ABS
2019 Janus Halcyon
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#6)
#47 GODSPEED BAMBAM

November 26, 2012, 08:03 PM

Yup a lot of good times in the mall working and hanging out. And then the 4 wheelin behind the mall was epic! But it was old shit like 15 years ago.

www.RnRcycles.com

Home of RNR Repsol Racing.

Missing all my fallen friends and family! If Life Was Easy Then Everyone Would Do It!
Unread
  (#7)
Can't work my clutch!!

November 26, 2012, 08:47 PM

Tilt Arcade on Level 2 by JC Penny FTMFW!

15 Star Bolt R-Spec
09 600RR ABS
07 600RR
01 GSXR600
Unread
  (#8)
The last urrbendah

November 26, 2012, 08:50 PM

First time I got engaged was right outside Benigans there. FUCKING CLASSY!

13 KTM 200 XC-W
15 KTM 350 XC-F

I might have a dirt bike problem.
Unread
  (#9)
GP Champ

November 26, 2012, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillie View Post
First time I got engaged was right outside Benigans there. FUCKING CLASSY!
Thats funny the first time I got kicked out of a mall for riding my bmx bike inside was at Springfield mall!
Unread
  (#10)
The last urrbendah

November 26, 2012, 09:07 PM

WE ARE TOTALLY BROTHERS!

13 KTM 200 XC-W
15 KTM 350 XC-F

I might have a dirt bike problem.
Unread
  (#11)
AMA Superbike Champ

November 26, 2012, 09:07 PM

Springfield was the first I got kicked out of too. Thought it would be cool to do like in the movies where they throw the invite to the party down the stair case and if floats down to everyone, above the ball pit by the food court (cant remember what I threw any more). Good times there

2005 R6 Raven
2007 DRZ400SM
Unread
  (#12)
Я - Ребенок Люциферов

November 26, 2012, 09:35 PM

SPringfield mall help develop me into the sinister man I am today....
I remember getting my first Iron Maiden cassette from SM. Stranger in a Strange Land 1986.....it help change my life....

I was mostly interested in the comic book shop, then started following two punk styled chicks that had me intrigued. They walk to the record shop and for the first time I saw so much metal...way more than i was use to in downtown DC.

I would return on my own a few years later when i was able to drive.
I have met up with people in SM parking lot for the last decade, but sad to say...never really go inside.

This do make me sad. Back then the SM mixing bowl was more of a straight shot...and the mall was surrounded by trees. The whole area was like ...country. Kids drove in circles around the mall and shoping center down the road.

I will miss her...again...sad.

The Nightmare of Summit Point
WERA Nov# 325 / CCS # 326
2016 ZX10R ABS (Street) | 2011 ZX10RR(Race)
2011 R6 (Street & Track) | 2009 WR250F
GunnRunnaz.com|GR on FaceBook | www.2666ad.com|
  Facebook Page MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via MSN to vonstallin  
Unread
  (#13)
GP Champ

November 26, 2012, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillie View Post
WE ARE TOTALLY BROTHERS!
Yep I am just the short fat brother nobody talks about! LOL
Unread
  (#14)
GP Champ

November 26, 2012, 10:12 PM

All of this talk of malls and riding.....hmm I am thinking its time to go pro riding though a mall somewhere locally here on the ktm.
Unread
  (#15)
Groping is a skill...

November 26, 2012, 10:20 PM

Lived right next to that mall about a decade ago in the Archstones while I worked in Annandale Gold's. It was ghetto as fack back then. Hopefully they clean it up and put up something nice.

2015 KTM Super Duke 1290 R
2013 Victory Vision Tour
K7 Gixxer 600 - Track Only
RnR Cycles Touched & Tuned

I grope suckaz!!! -
  Facebook Page Send a message via AIM to