DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 497
2 members and 495 guests
beatle, davidcycle
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Non-Sportbike Forums > Non-Sportbike Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools
Roethlisberger Says He Won't Do Safety Ads
Unread
  (#1)
Face Down @$$ UP

Cool Roethlisberger Says He Won't Do Safety Ads - July 14, 2006, 04:45 PM

Friday, July 14, 2006 12:38 PM EDT
The Associated Press

PITTSBURGH (AP) Ben Roethlisberger said he doesn't plan on doing public safety announcements for motorcycle or helmet safety following his accident last month.
"I don't think that's my place," the Pittsburgh Steelers quarterback said in a taped interview aired Friday on ABC's "Good Morning America."
"Some people feel that, you know, I probably should be doing that and being a big advocate for that," Roethlisberger said from Los Angeles. "But for me, I'm going to let people make their own decisions ... So I don't think you'll see me doing any kind of billboards or advertisements."
Roethlisberger had been in Los Angeles for the taping of the ESPY Awards. On Friday, he was slated to play in the American Century Celebrity Golf Championship in Nevada.
Roethlisberger had seven hours of facial reconstruction surgery June 12 after ramming his motorcycle into a car that turned left in front of him on a Pittsburgh street.
Roethlisberger broke his jaw and nose when his head smashed into the car's windshield and he was thrown over the car onto the pavement. He was cited for riding without a license and not wearing a helmet.
In Friday's interview, Roethlisberger said he sometimes wears his helmet, but on the day of the accident, he forgot it.
"I had just gotten my bike all custom done. It was painted up and it was really nice," he said. "I was supposed to take my helmet that day with me to get painted to match my bike so I could wear it all the time when I rode that bike and I totally forgot it."
Roethlisberger said he also forgot how his life is scrutinized by the public.
"I forgot that I have to live this life under the microscope and that people are always watching and criticizing everything that I do," he said. "I'm coming off two pretty good seasons in the NFL, winning a Super Bowl and 24 years old, and maybe this is God's way of saying, 'Hey, I can take it away from you at anytime so you better back off a little bit.'"
In the past two seasons, Roethlisberger helped the Steelers achieve a 27-4 record.
Roethlisberger said he has started working out and is now looking forward to training camp later this month.
"Now that I feel healthy and know that I am going to be OK, my only focus is football," he said. "So I've not even started to think about riding a motorcycle again. ... Once this season's over, maybe I'll start thinking whether I'll start riding again."

"If brains were gas. You wouldnt have enough gas, to drive a piss-ants' motorcycle, half-way around a BB."
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to WvGoDFather Send a message via MSN to WvGoDFather  
Unread
  (#2)
This Ain't My First Time!

July 14, 2006, 05:15 PM

Bet he will ride with a helmet if he decides to ride again.

OVER? did you say "Over"? Nothing is over until we decide its over, was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell No!!!

~Blutarski~

Dodge131:
If your goal is to scrape knee within 1 mile of your house then you sir have a problem.

Men have two emotions: Hungry and Horny. If you see him without an erection, make him a sandwich.
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#3)
back to the salt mines...

July 14, 2006, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Bet he will ride with a helmet if he decides to ride again.
Even more of a sure thing--bet there is an extra line or two in his next contract.
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#4)
BE ENCOURAGED!

July 15, 2006, 09:14 AM

"I was supposed to take my helmet that day with me to get painted to match my bike so I could wear it all the time when I rode that bike and I totally forgot it."

Let's see if he forgets his football helmet when he runs on the field. It's called PRIORITIES!

Not sure I want him as a spokesperson for "Motorcycle Safety" anyways

FOREVER #47 "Walking In The Echo...."
Are you a 'Secret Believer"? Do you Conceal your faith from your family, friends and co-workers? Isn't it about time to step out of hiding and let others know whom you follow?
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to GUZZ Send a message via Skype™ to GUZZ 
Unread
  (#5)
Riding is like Sex. WEEE!

July 15, 2006, 12:09 PM

I think he is a stand up guy. I have more respect for him now.

He refuses to be the hypocrit. He will not use his "status" to press something he doesn't believe.

"Riding a race bike is an art - a thing that you do because you feel something inside."

"I don't like being famous - it is like a prison. And driving for Ferrari would make it far worse."

"I race to win. If I am on the bike or in a car it will always be the same."

"I'm Valentino Rossi. And I want to be a person, not an icon."

Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to Rossi Send a message via AIM to Rossi Send a message via Skype™ to Rossi 
Unread
  (#6)
is terrified of clowns

July 15, 2006, 02:01 PM

i agree that its cool hes not being a hypocrit about the helmet thing, but 'i totally forgot it'. cmon. even on my flakiest days, ill forget to put on pants before i forget my helmet.

'bad news, its open season on chumps, and i just got my permit'

The Graveyard
-2001 ZX6R: SOLD
The Garage
-2002 F4i streetfighter: it wins shit
-2007 REPSOL: pure giggity
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to saki-bomb  
Unread
  (#7)
Licensed Rider

July 15, 2006, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossi
I think he is a stand up guy. I have more respect for him now.

He refuses to be the hypocrit. He will not use his "status" to press something he doesn't believe.
That's basically how I feel. It would seen rather stupid to advocate something voluntary like that only after getting into an accident. He wouldn't really mean it.

C-14, Silver and clean.
Unread
  (#8)
Quack quack!

July 15, 2006, 05:00 PM

In the US we are in dire need of a solid motorcycle safety campaign. What we need is known personalities advocating motorcycle safety - be it on TV or in print. Unfortunately it doesn't matter if these people are hypocrites or not. Why? Because they will draw attention to the ad they are in and that's what matters. Think about it... who do you think would draw more attention to an ad... a random actor advocating motorcycle safety or a popular athlete or actor, hypocrite or not, advocating motorcycle safety?