DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 561
0 members and 561 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Non-Sportbike Forums > Non-Sportbike Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools
Rumsfeld to Face War Crimes Charges
Unread
  (#1)
Face Down @$$ UP

Exclamation Rumsfeld to Face War Crimes Charges - November 10, 2006, 11:07 AM

Though he is now the former Secretary of Defense, Donald Rumsfeld is expected to be accused of war crimes in a lawsuit to be filed next week in Germany.
The Center for Constitutional Rights will file the suit on behalf of a group of Iraqi detainees as well as the so-called 20th hijacker, who is currently being held at Guantanamo Bay.
"The former secretary actually authorized a series of interrogation techniques," said

Michael Ratner, President of CCR. "They included the use of dogs, stripping, hooding, stressed positions, chaining to the floor, sexual humiliation and those types of activities.
Those techniques, he says, amount to torture and violate the Geneva Conventions". Ratner will be traveling to Berlin next week and plans to file the suit on Tuesday.

The suit is being brought in Germany because a "universal jurisdiction" law there allows German courts to claim jurisdiction over war crimes even if they were committed outside that country's borders.
CCR filed a similar lawsuit in Germany two years ago. That suit charged that Rumsfeld, former CIA Director George Tenet and other senior officials were responsible for the torturing of Iraqi prisoners at Abu Ghraib prison. The suit was dismissed, however, because German prosecutors said the case had no connection to German citizens nor to events that took place in Germany.
Department of Defense officials at the time refused to comment on the allegations in the suit, and Rumsfeld himself has called such universal jurisdiction lawsuits "absurd" and "politicized."

Despite the previous dismissals and Rumsfeld's resignation, Ratner says he still thinks the former secretary needs to be held accountable for what Ratner calls "war crimes," and he also wants to put the U.S. interrogation policy on trial.
"I think it's important not just for the personal accountability of Rumsfeld but really to put the United States back into what I consider the letter of law," he said.

"If brains were gas. You wouldnt have enough gas, to drive a piss-ants' motorcycle, half-way around a BB."
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to WvGoDFather Send a message via MSN to WvGoDFather  
Unread
  (#2)
Meh

November 13, 2006, 08:22 AM

These people are on crack. War crimes....? How about holding the people that sold Sadham chemical weapons accountable or the crooks in the UN that scimmed millions from the oil for food program.
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#3)
rdg
best avatar in the biz

November 13, 2006, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackHatch
These people are on crack. War crimes....? How about holding the people that sold Sadham chemical weapons accountable or the crooks in the UN that scimmed millions from the oil for food program.
Those people aren't Americans, and only Americans are eeevil.
Unread
  (#4)
Riding is like Sex. WEEE!

November 13, 2006, 09:19 AM

I believe Rumsfeld is a power monger, and he definitely abused his power, but that needs to be cleaned in house. Not taken to the Geneva convention on the constitutional rights for people being detained. Don't you think it is the responsiility of the country those people belong? If they even belong to a country.

Agreed with the comment on the UN scamming money.

The people that sold Iraq chems were....us. Right?

"Riding a race bike is an art - a thing that you do because you feel something inside."

"I don't like being famous - it is like a prison. And driving for Ferrari would make it far worse."

"I race to win. If I am on the bike or in a car it will always be the same."

"I'm Valentino Rossi. And I want to be a person, not an icon."

Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to Rossi Send a message via AIM to Rossi Send a message via Skype™ to Rossi 
Unread
  (#5)
rdg
best avatar in the biz

November 13, 2006, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossi
Yea, it was us and Britain.
Unread
  (#6)
Meh

November 13, 2006, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossi
I believe Rumsfeld is a power monger, and he definitely abused his power, but that needs to be cleaned in house. Not taken to the Geneva convention on the constitutional rights for people being detained. Don't you think it is the responsiility of the country those people belong? If they even belong to a country.

Agreed with the comment on the UN scamming money.

Initially true, however, I was referring to the Post Desert Storm era where most of the technology that Iraq possessed was from nations other than us.
Unread
  (#7)
singin sweet home alabama

November 13, 2006, 02:43 PM

Uhm... all of this sounds like getting around the questions.

Did Rumsfeld commit war crimes or not (authorizing such activity or being aware without taking action to cease is also considered a war crime)?

Which war crimes?

Lastly, should there be a means of prosecuting someone for committing war crimes?

Should US citizens be protected from World authorities that the US has traditionally supported?

"No race has ever been won in the first corner, but plenty have been lost there."
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via MSN to DvlsAdvc8  
Unread
  (#8)
B
It goes to 11.

November 13, 2006, 03:04 PM

I think the world is a little too violently opposed to the whole situation, and Americans in general, to leave any real decision up to them.

SV650s for SALE!!!
- 2007 SV650 Racebike-Superbike KWS/Thermosman suspension/Swenz bodywork/All GSXR Parts
- 2009 SV650 Streetbike Race blue with white stripe/No wrecks/fully faired with M4 full system

Shoot me a PM or talk to Nate (Nudist) if you're interested in purchase.
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to B  
Unread
  (#9)
GP Racer

November 13, 2006, 04:13 PM

im sure it all points back to the same guy saying whatever means possible........ and who might that be..... GEORGE BUSH...... rumsfeld will just be another scapegoat for bush

Rampage "Why you got one shoe on and one shoe off?"
Rashad "Cause i was ready to break one off in your mother****ing ass!"
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to FUNx1000  
Unread
  (#10)
Officially Addicted to Posting

November 13, 2006, 04:26 PM

YOU CANT HANDLE THE TRUTH!

Unread
  (#11)

November 13, 2006, 07:59 PM

"No race has ever been won in the first corner, but plenty have been lost there."
Unread
  (#12)
Face Down @$$ UP

November 13, 2006, 08:11 PM

"If brains were gas. You wouldnt have enough gas, to drive a piss-ants' motorcycle, half-way around a BB."
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to WvGoDFather Send a message via MSN to WvGoDFather  
Unread
  (#13)

November 13, 2006, 10:31 PM

I'm just curious as to what people really think.

It seems we agree with the notion of prosecuting war criminals, as long as its a foreigner. Kind of hypocritical don't you think?

Unread
  (#14)
Now Riding Red

November 13, 2006, 11:12 PM

HICKS
Prep for dust-off. We're gonna
need an immediate evac.
(to Burke)
I think we'll take off and nuke
the site from orbit. It's the
only way to be sure.

‎"Death walks beside every man, but only the mercenary turns and waves."

Troye-ame-Ven, Writer, Philosopher, Mortal

M
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#15)
Meh

November 14, 2006, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DvlsAdvc8
I'm just curious as to what people really think.

It seems we agree with the notion of prosecuting war criminals, as long as its a foreigner. Kind of hypocritical don't you think?
The ICC (International Criminal Court) is the newest evolution is world court systems that is designed to investigate and prosecute war crimes. Their first case is looking into the illegal conscription of teenagers in either the Congo or Uganda. Can't remeber which.

The ICC is designed to complement existing national judicial systems: the Court can only exercise its jurisdiction when national courts are unwilling or unable to investigate or prosecute such crimes, thus being a "court of last resort". Primary responsibility to exercise jurisdiction over alleged criminals is therefore left to individual states

Seeing as the US is the most fervent investigator of their own offenses, it should not be subjected to the oversight of the ICC.