DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 363
1 members and 362 guests
Sal_the_man
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Non-Sportbike Forums > Non-Sportbike Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools
Ruptured Disc
Unread
  (#1)
GP Racer

Ruptured Disc - December 24, 2009, 07:26 PM

Im pretty sure I popped a disc doing deadlifts this afternoon.

A popping/tearing sensation followed by sharp stabbing pain. Lower back became super tight within 10 seconds and has not let up despite ibuprofin and ice. Pain about 4/10 constant, rising to 6/10 when trying to sit up or sit down. Tonight isnt going to be fun.

Anyone have any 'good' stories about how they got over a ruptured disc to cheer me up? Or is it all agony and misery until surgery and then 6 months off of everything?
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#2)
I was sleeping

December 24, 2009, 07:27 PM

awww dude , hope it heals fast. good luck.

KEV~
NESBA # 401
2002 Honda 919
2003 Yamaha R6(05-09 SOLD)

MARRC Safety Crew - www.marrc.org
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to Dirty  
Unread
  (#3)
poz top looking 4 neg bot

December 24, 2009, 07:28 PM

time to schedule some cortisone shots

horsepower is how fast you hit the wall, torque is how far you take the wall with you
Unread
  (#4)
#swag

December 24, 2009, 07:29 PM

Damn Doug!!! Sorry to hear that!! Hope it's not as bad as you think. Sorry I don't have any good stories for ya...

Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to Nick  
Unread
  (#5)
Resident Rodent

December 24, 2009, 07:41 PM

Bummer. Maybe you'll get lucky and it's just a pull.

I go get my shoulder fixed AGAIN next week (botched surgery last year). So I'll be down for about 6 months. Gonna miss the first part of the track season. Grr.

- Rat

"Ride to the sound of the guns."

http://www.magicratproductions.com
Unread
  (#6)
Derpentine Dealer

December 24, 2009, 07:43 PM

Sometimes you need surgery, and they fuse the two vertebrae on either side. That's a last resort though. I had a friend who tried to avoid the surgery for a long time, and it was constant pain for him so finally he broke down and did it. You need to consult with a physician and then probably get a second opinion from a different one.

How's my posting? Please direct all concerns and inquiries to DCSBN's chief content manager, Hollywood, via PM.
Unread
  (#7)
Groping is a skill...

December 24, 2009, 07:59 PM

I wouldn't be so hasty to say that its a popped disk. Hopefully you may have something more mild. With a crushed disk you'll have extreme pain arching your back / leaning forward while in a seated position. It will be a deep very sharp pain. In most deadlifting incidents you'll strain the erector spinae which will cause for other muscles to spasm ending up with a constant pain. Try to do at least 800mg of ibuprofin every 4 hours. If that doesn't solve it you may need something stronger. Either way go get it checked out soon! Good luck!

2015 KTM Super Duke 1290 R
2013 Victory Vision Tour
K7 Gixxer 600 - Track Only
RnR Cycles Touched & Tuned

I grope suckaz!!! -
  Facebook Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#8)
2 wheels for life

December 24, 2009, 08:08 PM

My mom had a slipped disk .. doctors said surgery it has a 10% success rate and could lead to paralysis .. even if the surgery was successful it not a complete cure .. we looked into alternative medicine and thought we should try Reiki .. after 9 months of reiki my mom's slipped disk had alligned .. I have huge faith on reiki now .. but the thing is that there are a lot of fake reiki practitioners so you you have to get in touch with the right person .. gl

Adrenaline Addict

Last edited by Deep; December 24, 2009 at 08:11 PM..
  Facebook Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#9)
AMA Superbike Champ

December 24, 2009, 09:16 PM

yeah i don't think you want to get surgery on your back....usually though disc problems develop over time slowly, if you rupture on a disc in one motion your pain would be a 10/10
Unread
  (#10)
GP Champ

December 24, 2009, 09:30 PM

Could be a lot of things. Hopefully not a herniated disc. An MRI will tell the tale. Get thee to a neuro surgeon.

It took me about a year to completely heal from a badly herniated disc. When I was first injured I was in constant agony. Months later I would still have episodes where I would be walking along and suddenly my left leg would collapse.

I almost had the surgery, in fact I had it scheduled. But stuck it out with PT and got better. As the surgeon I was going to use told me: "Surgery does not give you a new or stronger back, in fact it's arguably weaker in the long run if anything." It's the solution to ease pain when all else fails.

I can tell you this - It was one long ass year.

In general here's the deal: The pain often starts centered in the lower back, then shifts low and to one side. Then moves down your leg. Sometimes it will feel like spiders crawling up and down your leg. If the pain moves below your knee you're a canidate for surgery. If you start to suffer nerve loss they need to operate immediately.

There's been many studies regarding surgery/no surgery options. In most cases the level of recovery at the 12 month mark between those that have the surgery and those who opt to go the PT route are almost identical.

But you're a long way from having to make that decision. You don't even know what the injury is. As I stated earlier: get thee to a neuro surgeon.

Good luck.
Unread
  (#11)
Meh

December 24, 2009, 10:21 PM

Unlikely that it is a ruptured disk.

An injury like that is typically followed by a mild form of paralysis and not as a result of the pain.

I would question question your form if you injured your back during a lift.

If I had to guess, I would say that you pulled a muscle within your back. All of the symptoms that you are describing can be the result of a pulled muscle.
Unread
  (#12)
GP Racer

December 25, 2009, 10:44 AM

Well it was a pretty tough night, woke up a couple times in pain soaked in sweat but It does feel a bit better than yesterday, especially when standing or lying down. Sitting isnt very fun though.

So maybe it isnt ruptured. The reason I figured it was ruptured is because my chiropractor told me the way my lower back and legs are shaped its only a matter of time before I rupture one doing deadlifts because the lift will pinch the L5 disk.

That and the fact that it felt like something 'popped' before the tearing pain set in an instant later.

I researched the injury a lot last night and one thing is for certain, a ruptured disc can produce all kinds of symptoms, it can produce only localized lower back pain like I have, or it can produce no lower back pain and instead manifest itself as either leg/foot pain or neurological issues or a combination of the above. It just depends on where in the disc the rupture occurred and if the injury pushes on the cord or not.

The good news is that most people recover without surgery, and just have to look after their back more than the average person. So anyhow, Im done with deadlifts for good, no matter what the outome.

Thanks for the replies guys, and Merry X-Mas!
Unread
  (#13)
Don't ask me,I'm Canadian

December 25, 2009, 11:12 AM

I had a herniated disc that was also pinching my sciatic nerve running down my leg.Worst pain of my life.I could barely walk and I would almost cry if I sneezed or coughed.I went to a chiropractor here in Old Town.I crawled in and within an hour I was jumping up and down.I would go talk to her.She was chiropractor of the year in VA.Her name is Shara Posner and her business is called Back to Health Center on Prince Street in Old Town Alexandria.

ALL MY HEROES ARE RUSSIAN...GO CAPS!

Well you see, Norm, itís like thisÖA herd of buffalo can only move as fast as the slowest buffalo. And when the herd is hunted, it is the slowest and weakest ones at the back that are killed first. This natural selection is good for the herd as a whole, because the general speed and health of the whole group keeps improving by the regular killing of the weakest members. In much the same way, the human brain can only operate as fast as the slowest brain cells. Now, as we know, excessive intake of alcohol kills brain cells. But naturally, it attacks the slowest and weakest brain cells first. In this way, regular consumption of beer eliminates the weaker brain cells, making the brain a faster and more efficient machine. And that, Norm, is why you always feel smarter after a few beers.-Cliff Claven