DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 507
1 members and 506 guests
2blueyam
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Non-Sportbike Forums > Non-Sportbike Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools
S.C. Lt. Gov. Andre Bauer Compares Helping Poor to Feeding Stray Animals
Unread
  (#1)
Brainwash Your Face!

Post S.C. Lt. Gov. Andre Bauer Compares Helping Poor to Feeding Stray Animals - January 26, 2010, 06:57 PM

Without being rude to one another...thoughts or possible solutions to reform to the dependence and/or abuse (however you see it) to government assistance.

http://www.cbsnews.com/blogs/2010/01...y6139186.shtml

Quote:
South Carolina Lt. Governor Andre Bauer, who hopes to succeed fellow Republican Mark Sanford as his state's governor, drew a comparison between government help for poor people and "feeding stray animals" who, he noted, "breed."

"My grandmother was not a highly educated woman, but she told me as a small child to quit feeding stray animals," Bauer said during a town hall meeting, as the Greenville News reported over the weekend. "You know why? Because they breed. You're facilitating the problem if you give an animal or a person ample food supply. They will reproduce, especially ones that don't think too much further than that. And so what you've got to do is you've got to curtail that type of behavior. They don't know any better."

As the Greenville News notes, more than half of the students in South Carolina participate in a program that allows them to get their lunch for free, or at a reduced cost.

Bauer later said he wasn't saying those who receive government help "were animals or anything else."

He added that his metaphor was taken out of context, WSOCTV reports, and added that "maybe the stray animals wasn't the best metaphor."

Bauer made the comment as part of an argument that people should lose government benefits if they fail drug tests or don't attend parent-teacher conferences or PTA meetings.

"Look folks, if you receive goods or services from the government and you don't attend a parent-teacher conference, bam, you lose your benefits," he said. In a follow-up story, the Greenville News reports that Bauer said "he would penalize only adults and that he never advocated taking away a child's free or reduced-price lunch. His speech was about breaking the cycle of dependence on government aid, he said."

During the town hall meeting, Bauer said he "can show you a bar graph where free and reduced lunch has the worst test scores in the state of South Carolina." He added: "So how do you fix it? Well you say, 'Look, if you receive goods or services from the government, then you owe something back.'"

South Carolina Democrats responded harshly to the comments, and there were calls for Bauer to apologize and to drop his gubernatorial bid. Some in his own party were also critical, with Republican state Rep. Harry Cato saying Bauer "has gone overboard."
Link to the town hall speech audio:
http://www.zimbio.com/Andre+Bauer/ar...es+Poor+People

"Someone should donkey punch that bitch with a waffle iron then upload the video to World Star Hip Hop" ~.Nets Resident Chivalrous Gentlemen Stillie

RIP KATIE RIP BAMBAM RIP VEGA
Gasoline by The Bouncing Souls
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hOxc2cM75NI

Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#2)
Ling Long

January 26, 2010, 06:58 PM

Wow... taken out of context or not... wow.

U
C
Lots of
Asians
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to YaoMatt Send a message via AIM to YaoMatt Send a message via MSN to YaoMatt  
Unread
  (#3)
Signed up for Track Days!

January 26, 2010, 07:28 PM

because by definition they are stray animals

only humans have a problem with reality
Unread
  (#4)
whoa preppy......

January 26, 2010, 08:25 PM

His speech presumes that all people on public aid remain there. I'd like to know the statistics of people who are career abusers vs. people who receive aid until they can right themselves.

As prickly as the subject is, I agree with conditions having to be met or you would forfeit your ability to receive aid.

When I was in highschool, I worked at a grocery store. I used to get pissed at the people parking their newer cars outside with fancy rims, walking into the store in their name brand clothes, hair done, and reaching in their pockets with manicured nails to hand me a WIC check.

I spent a few years living on social security because my mom was going to school and working as a book keeper @ $6 an hour to feed and clothe 2 kids. I understand the need for assistance. I HATE abusers.

2018 XSR700
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2019 Honda Monkey
2019 Z900 ABS
2019 Janus Halcyon
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#5)
Being nice :)

January 26, 2010, 08:26 PM

"Ninety eight percent of the adults in this country are decent, hardworking, honest Americans. It's the other lousy two percent that get all the publicity. But then, we elected them."

~Lily Tomlin

You're Welcome...
Unread
  (#6)
Being nice :)

January 26, 2010, 08:48 PM

Quote:
"Ninety eight percent of the adults in this country are decent, hardworking, honest Americans. It's the other lousy two percent that get all the publicity. But then, we elected them."

~Lily Tomlin
Or support them

You're Welcome...
Unread
  (#7)
Brainwash Your Face!

January 27, 2010, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scot View Post
His speech presumes that all people on public aid remain there. I'd like to know the statistics of people who are career abusers vs. people who receive aid until they can right themselves.

As prickly as the subject is, I agree with conditions having to be met or you would forfeit your ability to receive aid.

When I was in highschool, I worked at a grocery store. I used to get pissed at the people parking their newer cars outside with fancy rims, walking into the store in their name brand clothes, hair done, and reaching in their pockets with manicured nails to hand me a WIC check.

I spent a few years living on social security because my mom was going to school and working as a book keeper @ $6 an hour to feed and clothe 2 kids. I understand the need for assistance. I HATE abusers.

I think you and I are standing on the same part of the fine line...and have similar backgrounds. Hardworking mothers and we both always had a job, even at a young age.

I agree, that a checks and balance needs to be in place in order to receive assistance. Just like with unemployment benefits, if people are receiving welfare they SHOULD be looking for a job and caseworkers should be checking. People should have to work for it in other ways. Volunteer at thier children's school, at homeless shelter's, animal shelter's. I dont agree with families having more children while they are "in the system" if they cannot already feed themselves and the children they already have, they should not be burdening themselves and the system with another mouth to feed. Family planning needs to be part of program.

Give the welfare program a timeline of use. You have X amount of time to utilize the program and its offerings to get yourself on your feet...so make the most of it. Exceptions for the disable.

I understand that a lot of these cases stem from the beginning of a persons environment to schools system and so forth. In order for change to happen, people need to stop fighting each other and themseleves. This inculdes communities, school systems, all branches of government.

"Someone should donkey punch that bitch with a waffle iron then upload the video to World Star Hip Hop" ~.Nets Resident Chivalrous Gentlemen Stillie

Unread
  (#8)
TPG og

January 27, 2010, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boomchic00 View Post
I think you and I are standing on the same part of the fine line...and have similar backgrounds. Hardworking mothers and we both always had a job, even at a young age.

I agree, that a checks and balance needs to be in place in order to receive assistance. Just like with unemployment benefits, if people are receiving welfare they SHOULD be looking for a job and caseworkers should be checking. People should have to work for it in other ways. Volunteer at thier children's school, at homeless shelter's, animal shelter's. I dont agree with families having more children while they are "in the system" if they cannot already feed themselves and the children they already have, they should not be burdening themselves and the system with another mouth to feed. Family planning needs to be part of program.

Give the welfare program a timeline of use. You have X amount of time to utilize the program and its offerings to get yourself on your feet...so make the most of it. Exceptions for the disable.

I understand that a lot of these cases stem from the beginning of a persons environment to schools system and so forth. In order for change to happen, people need to stop fighting each other and themseleves. This inculdes communities, school systems, all branches of government.
+1

I've always believed in helping the poor, straight blleding heart liberal. However...lving in a very poor part of Baltimore city.... the welfare system has done more harm than good. Teaches people to be dependent on the government for everything, and when that isn't enough they turn to crime, its not stereotype its true. Thats why people in the join gangs, sell drugs, they don't know and don't have many other options.

Hated going to work and the same people (in this paticular neighborhood lazy white trash hillbillies) would be on their porch doing nothing. Get home from work their from work and their doing the same thing. Throw rocks at my car, throw trash in front of my stoop, get into fights, have kids at 16 years old.... Poor people need help, but they can't be on welfare forever. At the same time, there doesn't seem to be enough oppurtunity to get them self sufficient. The only places to work in the neighborhood were the various bong, chicken and pizza shops. Oh and selling heyrawn and meth on Pulaski highway. Until we can figure something out, theinner cities are going to continue to rot.

With that...calling human being stray animals isn't ever right. Those people "breed" cuz the system and environment they grew up in...they don't know any better.

Last edited by b00st; January 27, 2010 at 09:27 AM..
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to b00st  
Unread
  (#9)
T.R.I.T.D.H

January 27, 2010, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Bauer said he "can show you a bar graph where free and reduced lunch has the worst test scores in the state of South Carolina."
You don't say...

Obviously if a kid's only hot and hearty meal is from free or reduced lunch at school b/c that is the only place they have a good meal do you think their minds are wrapped around learning history and math or just learning how to survive. I'd like to ask him how well he does his job when all he can think about is getting to lunch or that morning cup of coffee....

Some people are so out of touch with life it's rediculous.

What do you value more? Life or Image?

"I don't ride, I usually just sit around wearing a tshirt and my icon back protector and talk shit about anyone who does not have a liter bike. That's how you can pick me out of a crowd. I also wear a red tophat."
Unread
  (#10)
Eddie would go ...

January 27, 2010, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YaoMatt View Post
Wow... taken out of context or not... wow.
Agreed, normally one would expect his political career to be in the toilet..but this is (no disrespect) South Carolina...he is where he is for a reason...

Quote:
Originally Posted by spud View Post
No one gives a fuck about your puff out your chest bravado.
Unread
  (#11)
Brainwash Your Face!

January 27, 2010, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by B00STZX3 View Post
+1

I've always believed in helping the poor, straight blleding heart liberal. However...lving in a very poor part of Baltimore city.... the welfare system has done more harm than good. Teaches people to be dependent on the government for everything, and when that isn't enough they turn to crime, its not stereotype its true. Thats why people in the join gangs, sell drugs, they don't know and don't have many other options.

Hated going to work and the same people (in this paticular neighborhood lazy white trash hillbillies) would be on their porch doing nothing. Get home from work their from work and their doing the same thing. Throw rocks at my car, throw trash in front of my stoop, get into fights, have kids at 16 years old.... Poor people need help, but they can't be on welfare forever. At the same time, there doesn't seem to be enough oppurtunity to get them self sufficient. The only places to work in the neighborhood were the various bong, chicken and pizza shops. Oh and selling heyrawn and meth on Pulaski highway. Until we can figure something out, theinner cities are going to continue to rot.

With that...calling human being stray animals isn't ever right. Those people "breed" cuz the system and environment they grew up in...they don't know any better.

You're right, it's not a color issue. It's a class issue. I hate using the word "class" BTW. People do not get to choose where they come from but they do have choices on where to go IF they have strong resources to guide them.

The system enables welfare dependents to procreate because they get more benefits. That's why I say institute family planning programs and place a timeline of benefits.

My cousins ex-wife(a real winner) was receiving VA welfare benefits for 2 children, 2 that was his and oldest my aunt had custody of and was/is raising. She then moved to MD. Living in MD, she had 2 more kids with another man and was receiving MD benefits. While at my aunts house visiting my little cousin, this moron starts bragging how for 2 years she had been raping VA. Yes, getting both states benefits. Needless to say that game stopped within a month after her bragfest and she had a bag full of self inflected problems to deal with....so she moved to Oklahoma.

Last edited by boomchic00; January 27, 2010 at 10:07 AM..
Unread
  (#12)
Я - Ребенок Люциферов

January 27, 2010, 10:19 AM

I think overall Most (more than 50%) of the people who have been on PA only did it for a short time. A few months to maybe a few years.

I use to have interns volunteering for me at Smithsonian who was on public assistance. Public Assistance isn't totally for you to sit on your ass and collect checks. The people I knew got a certain percentage of cash and access to reduced housing.

At the same time i know people, who have totally taken advantage of the system and live, eat for free.

The problem is trying to get people/kids or whatever on the right track b4 they end up on PA...

I don't have the answers...

But If I had kids
id disable MTV, and all non educational channels...

lol...

The Nightmare of Summit Point
WERA Nov# 325 / CCS # 326
2016 ZX10R ABS (Street) | 2011 ZX10RR(Race)
2011 R6 (Street & Track) | 2009 WR250F
GunnRunnaz.com|GR on FaceBook | www.2666ad.com|
  Facebook Page MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via MSN to vonstallin  
Unread
  (#13)
opossum puncher

January 27, 2010, 10:29 AM

Im with Scott and Boom, at some point abusers have to be identified, and removed from the system.

-
Attack Life! It's going to kill you anyway.

08 Z1000

Go Hokies!
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to zx6rfool  
Unread
  (#14)
Parkin lot pimpin'

January 27, 2010, 10:49 AM

I don't agree with the comment obviously but the sentiment behind the arguement of stopping the abusers and helping people get themselves off government aid is a necessity. This is part of the reason we are trillions of dollars in debt. This won't fix the deficit problem but if you want to help yourself you can.

I grew up in a very misfortunate family where my mother (no college degree) was left to fend for herself after divorce while raising 2 children and very little child support. At no time during her life has she ever taken any handouts or government aid and neither have her children. I understand that from time to time people need a helping hand but if they really wanted to make a better life for themselves they would work hard to do it.

2013 Kawasaki ZX-6R - back at it again
2005 Kawasaki ZX-6R (636) Lots o' Mods - SOLD

2013 Ford F-150 Ecoboost (Toy Haulin)
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to EndoSJ3