DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 510
2 members and 508 guests
Heist, nootherids
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Non-Sportbike Forums > Non-Sportbike Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools
Saab Fans - It's a Wrap. GM Shutting Down The Saab Brand
Unread
  (#1)
Your Ad Here

Saab Fans - It's a Wrap. GM Shutting Down The Saab Brand - December 18, 2009, 05:05 PM

http://www.autocar.co.uk/News/NewsAr...ab-9-5/246077/

Quote:
Saab is to be closed down by General Motors, after no new buyer for the troubled Swedish firm could be found. Some 3400 people employed directly by Saab are expected to lose their jobs, and 1100 dealers worldwide will have to find new franchises.

GM’s European president Nick Reilly said no deal could be reached with the sole remaining bidder, Spyker Cars.

Hilton Holloway blog: What went wrong for Saab?

Saab's history in pictures

“Despite the best efforts of all involved, it has become very clear that the due diligence required to complete this complex transaction could not be executed in a reasonable time. In order to maintain operations, Saab needed a quick resolution,” he said.

Unresolvable issues

In a press conference shortly after the announcement was made, GM Vice President of Corporate Planning John Smith said that “during the course of the negotiations with Spyker, unresolvable issues arose on both sides.” He declined to explain the exact nature of the particular issues, but added that “there comes a time in these kind of discussions when it’s clear that no further progress can be made. At that point, the best course for everyone is just to move on.”

“Any man who tries to be good all the time is bound to come to ruin among the great number who are not good. Hence a Prince who wants to keep his authority must learn how not to be good, and use that knowledge, or refrain from using it, as necessity requires”.

- Nicolo Machiavelli 1469-1527

Facebook Page MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#2)
Signed up for Track Days!

December 18, 2009, 06:00 PM

and exactly no one cares
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#3)
Groping is a skill...

December 18, 2009, 06:53 PM

That sucks for Saab. I did like the cars they used to make. After GM bought it, the cars became more run of the mill.

2015 KTM Super Duke 1290 R
2013 Victory Vision Tour
K7 Gixxer 600 - Track Only
RnR Cycles Touched & Tuned

I grope suckaz!!! -
  Facebook Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#4)
Derpentine Dealer

December 18, 2009, 07:37 PM

So now Volvo makes the ugliest cars in the world?

How's my posting? Please direct all concerns and inquiries to DCSBN's chief content manager, Hollywood, via PM.
Unread
  (#5)
Get Tarded!

December 18, 2009, 08:15 PM

Renault? Sorry to hear people loose jobs but those cars only seemed to attract women in mid life crisis mode and the older models are for the late twenty's guy who live lives in granny's basement.

08 Dizzzer SM
08 Z1000
98 KLR 650
Unread
  (#6)
I hate Hybrid drivers

December 18, 2009, 10:36 PM

there is a guy down the street from me who has 4 Saabs. He has no other cars. Wonder if he has committed suicide yet.
Unread
  (#7)
subUrban Warrior

December 18, 2009, 11:20 PM

I owned three Saabs and loved every one of them.

"I banged so many chicks last year my iPhone address book broke" - overheard at a Dover, DE bar
Unread
  (#8)
AMA Superbike Champ

December 19, 2009, 01:02 AM

i love saabs. they r not the most reliable but they are soo unique. my 92 saab 900 was amazing i enjoyed that car alot. it sat for more than a year, with a new battary it starter right up. i miss that car soo much. too bad they r closing down.

2005 Yamaha R6 Raven
1982 Suzuki GS650L
1974 Honda CB550 (Cafe' racer Project)
1971 Honda CB450 (currently restoring to stock may be a future Cafe')
Unread
  (#9)
poz top looking 4 neg bot

December 19, 2009, 01:05 AM

wow, i cant believe they are closing down saab. i mean saab made so many awesome cars such as the....eh...well i dunno

horsepower is how fast you hit the wall, torque is how far you take the wall with you
Unread
  (#10)
Licensed Rider

December 19, 2009, 01:18 AM

Thank God! Now to get rid of the people that drive them! Sorry to hear about the job losses though.
Unread
  (#11)
Licensed Rider

December 19, 2009, 01:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blkr6 View Post
i love saabs. they r not the most reliable but they are soo unique.
Unique??? Like putting the ignition where the parking brake goes? Having an engineer design the hinges on the hood? Making reverse where first gear is on a 5 speed transmission (yes, I hate Volkscrappens too)? They have always been over priced pieces of shit, and visually offensive at the same time.
Unread
  (#12)
Signed up for Track Days!

December 19, 2009, 01:41 AM

ive never once ever had anyone in a saab act like a cock and be passive aggressive like most dc drivers, or almost run into me because they are self absorbed or just plain fuucking cant merge - nova
Unread
  (#13)
Your Ad Here

December 19, 2009, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsm79 View Post
Unique??? Like putting the ignition where the parking brake goes? Having an engineer design the hinges on the hood? Making reverse where first gear is on a 5 speed transmission (yes, I hate Volkscrappens too)? They have always been over priced pieces of shit, and visually offensive at the same time.
The console key thing never really bothered me. Porsche's have the ignition on the left side of the wheel. It's a quirk, but livable.

The part about a Saab that always pissed me off was the key removal process. I had to do something to my bosses car and I went ballastic after 15 minutes of not being about to get the key out of the ignition when I parked.

Well Saab in all their "uniqueness" decided that you have to put the car in REVERSE in order to release the key from the ignition. REVERSE?! Not even Neutral, or first, but REVERSE!

C'mon son.

“Any man who tries to be good all the time is bound to come to ruin among the great number who are not good. Hence a Prince who wants to keep his authority must learn how not to be good, and use that knowledge, or refrain from using it, as necessity requires”.

Unread
  (#14)
I got a need for Speed!_!

December 19, 2009, 12:40 PM

Saab, built from Jets, the world won't miss Saab, for a semi-luxury brand they were very niche market with low sales.

TPM Red
AMA#629103
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to thespectralsorrows Send a message via AIM to thespectralsorrows  
Unread
  (#15)
Your Ad Here

December 19, 2009, 01:45 PM

Saab had it's hey day in the 80's.
They made interesting looking cars with a feverent following, but they weren't really anything special inside or performance wise.

I remember back in 2001 I drove a fully loaded 9-3 convertible on loan from GM, and it was the most god awful car I had driven in years. No refinement, no steering feel, torque steer like a bitch when I put my foot in it, anemic engine until the turbo spooled up, and then it hit like an ON/OFF switch when they did, and the chassis twisted and flexed like a Flexible Flyer sled.

Yeah, GM could have done more with the brand, but then again - it's not like Saab was really on par with BMW or Audi to begin with, so they couldn't get the premium Euro pricing out of it.

Saab was like in this nether region here in the states ... something above a Volkswagen - on par with Volvo - below BMW/Audi