DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 543
2 members and 541 guests
2blueyam, Nobrains
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Non-Sportbike Forums > Non-Sportbike Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools
Unread
  (#1)
GP Champ

May 9, 2005, 08:04 AM

Im thinking about picking up the 46 or 50" Samsung DLP. Anything I should know about before forking over the $2k+. I know Alex and James had bulb problems. Will I need any special cableing. Ill eventually get a HD DVD player. Thanks for any help.

Katie 135
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to Brooks  
Unread
  (#2)
Licensed Rider

May 9, 2005, 08:24 AM

The 50 is sweet. Havent ever seen the 46. I can tell ya, that its heavy as hell. So have a good place for it. you wont want to move it. Other than that, I would look at fatwallet.com or somewhere like avsforums to find the best deals....
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#3)
Licensed Rider

May 9, 2005, 08:33 AM

Make sure you get one with HDMI, multiple component video inputs, and try to find one that supports 1080i since you will get the best picture from HD cable and HD DVD. No use spending all that money to get something that only runs 720p and is already out-dated.

I don't think Sony makes any DLP but you should really check out their offerings. I have never had a problem with any TV's Sony makes (PS2 is another thing though). I have an HD LCD from Sony and have nothing but praise for it.

You guys ride? 495? Ox Road??
Unread
  (#4)
Got my Permit

May 9, 2005, 08:52 AM

Hey Brooks, i have the 61" Samsung DLP... LOVE the freaking thing. The new ones out (Capt Kirk model- they call it that since it looks like it should be no the bridge of the Enterprise) are more expensive, have a better color wheel (more colors), but probably arent worth the extra $1000.

I bought mine last year about this time from an online retailer. One Call http://www.onecall.com/ I thougth i was taking a risk - but its a reputable store, and i figure i saved close to $900 from buying it at Best Buy (plus, no sales tax online). Not a single problem. They stock my tv at SAMS club now. I love SAMS and would probably buy it there (nice return policy if something happens).

I have the HD PVR from Adelphia and Xbox hooked to it.. both look fantastic..

Sony is not an option for me.. i boycott them and their products..

let me know if you have any questions..
Unread
  (#5)
Site Owner

May 9, 2005, 09:25 AM

I've had the 50" Samsung DLP since about a month after they debuted. The thing freaking rocks. One issue I had with it (which was a known issue in the first generation HLM50's) was the color wheel bearings went out on it. Since I was out of warranty, I ended up just buying the new (air-bearing) color wheel from samsung for about 100$ and replaced it myself... now works great.

XBOX at 1080i is amazing. I have the Samsung DVD player with DVI output and that and OTA HD look awesome. Great viewing angle on the DLPs...

(O|||||||O) and (0OO\(||||)(||||)/OO0)

Help support DCSportbikes.net! Become a Premier Member today!

Katie #135.

Nudist: If Ben isnt still riding me, then I need it
B: that sounds odd
  Facebook Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to ClemsonJeeper  
Unread
  (#6)
Site ADMIN

May 9, 2005, 10:05 AM

Brooks, come over to my place and I can show you ALL the inputs, outputs.. wiring cables.. etc for my setup.
Samsung DVD, xbox, ps2, HD sat receiver, 2nd sat receiver, stereo plus 7.1 speakers and PC..
I can tell you the good, the bad, and the ugly.
Since samsung replaced the bulb inner guts, no issues.. hear a lil bit of the color wheel, but i always have the volume up loud anyway..

This post was prepared as a service to the DCSportbikes.net community. Neither the DCSportbikes.net ADMINS nor any of the moderators, makes any warranty, expressed or implied, or assumes any legal liability or responsibility for the accuracy, completeness, or usefulness of any information, product, link, or process disclosed, or represents that its use would not infringe privately owned rights. Reference herein to any specific commercial products, process, or service by trade name, trademark manufacturer, or otherwise, does not necessarily constitute or imply its endorsement, recommendation, or favoring by DCSportbikes.net. The opinions of this author expressed herein do not necessarily state or reflect those of the DCSportbikes.net community, and shall not be used for advertising or product endorsement purposes.
__________________________________________________ ________

Alex
13 Honda Fury
  Facebook Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to spud Send a message via MSN to spud  
Unread
  (#7)
GP Champ

May 9, 2005, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spud
Brooks, come over to my place and I can show you ALL the inputs, outputs.. wiring cables.. etc for my setup.
Samsung DVD, xbox, ps2, HD sat receiver, 2nd sat receiver, stereo plus 7.1 speakers and PC..
I can tell you the good, the bad, and the ugly.
Since samsung replaced the bulb inner guts, no issues.. hear a lil bit of the color wheel, but i always have the volume up loud anyway..

Whenever you're free let me know. I have to stay late today but other than that I'm usually home by 4.

Katie 135
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to Brooks  
Unread
  (#8)
Knee Draggin!

May 9, 2005, 04:14 PM

Pops works for Telegy in Germantown, they're part of Texas Instruments, which makes the DLP chip. He got $1k knocked off a 61" 2 Christmas's ago. That is the sweetest TV I've ever seen.
Unread
  (#9)
Super Moderator

May 9, 2005, 10:08 PM

My TV is AWESOME!!!

Crackheadjunky - Are you KIDDING?! My TV is LIGHT AS HELL and I have the biggest one they sell!! I have the 61 inch!!

Brooks, MY TV is AWESOME and it has all those connections that are listed! BUY ONE! Try www.pricegrabber.com

“People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.”
-George Orwell

CCS Amateur #588
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to Scorpion9R Send a message via AIM to Scorpion9R Send a message via MSN to Scorpion9R  
Unread
  (#10)
GP Racer

May 10, 2005, 06:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by winrz
Hey Brooks, i have the 61" Samsung DLP... LOVE the freaking thing. The new ones out (Capt Kirk model- they call it that since it looks like it should be no the bridge of the Enterprise) are more expensive, have a better color wheel (more colors), but probably arent worth the extra $1000.

I bought mine last year about this time from an online retailer. One Call http://www.onecall.com/ I thougth i was taking a risk - but its a reputable store, and i figure i saved close to $900 from buying it at Best Buy (plus, no sales tax online). Not a single problem. They stock my tv at SAMS club now. I love SAMS and would probably buy it there (nice return policy if something happens).

I have the HD PVR from Adelphia and Xbox hooked to it.. both look fantastic..

Sony is not an option for me.. i boycott them and their products..

let me know if you have any questions..
I have to agree with Winrz, his set up is sweet. I have the 65" rear projection Mitsu plat+ series and while it rocks, you don't have to worry about burn in or any other stupid stuff with the DLP. I use an over the air antenna for local HD(this rocks) and Dish Network for satellite HD (it sucks).
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via MSN to Busamac70  
Unread
  (#11)
Super Moderator

May 10, 2005, 08:28 AM

I also bought an upscaling DVD player and DVD's LOOK AWSOME!

“People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.”
-George Orwell

CCS Amateur #588
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to Scorpion9R Send a message via AIM to Scorpion9R Send a message via MSN to Scorpion9R  
Unread
  (#12)
Site ADMIN

May 10, 2005, 09:21 AM

Brooks, I have LEO training all week. Friday or this weekend might be good.
Oh and my parents bought the 50" because they were jealous of my 61"
Ill give you a shout.

This post was prepared as a service to the DCSportbikes.net community. Neither the DCSportbikes.net ADMINS nor any of the moderators, makes any warranty, expressed or implied, or assumes any legal liability or responsibility for the accuracy, completeness, or usefulness of any information, product, link, or process disclosed, or represents that its use would not infringe privately owned rights. Reference herein to any specific commercial products, process, or service by trade name, trademark manufacturer, or otherwise, does not necessarily constitute or imply its endorsement, recommendation, or favoring by DCSportbikes.net. The opinions of this author expressed herein do not necessarily state or reflect those of the DCSportbikes.net community, and shall not be used for advertising or product endorsement purposes.
__________________________________________________ ________

Alex
13 Honda Fury
  Facebook Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to spud Send a message via MSN to spud  
Unread
  (#13)
www.got-one.com

May 11, 2005, 06:22 PM

Go for it.

I have the first gen 50'' .. still has the same buld from ...over a year. It had a green tint to it at first but there is a special tech menu that you can access and adjust color gain on each ch. ,,,etc..everything. just hold down a few buttons and it comes up. (google it)

It's mandatory to get a dvd p[layer with DVI/hdmi out and upsample to 720p. Dvd's almost become HD

And its not heavy at all. one guy could move it easy if it wasn't so damn big.

Discovery HD is amazing. Find the snake master show. omfg

I got a deal at best buy. found an open box item, asked for $250 off the already reduced price they took it becasue I substituted the 4yr full warranty which is $250. then i signed up for the rewards program for $10 and spending 2K+ will give you about another $150 back on points, when you get the rewards coupons, get a dvi-dvd player.

I ended up with a free DVD player and free 4year total warranty for $500 less than what the TV cost new. And they come pick it up from the house if there is a problem. It didn't have a remote control..but with the warranty it was free to call samsung and they shipped me a remote for free with in a few days less than a week

If i had to do it again I would spend the few hours checking all the area stores and try to get a deal. and still get the same model. 95% satisfied with it. just the green tint problem. Every few weeks something looks a little greeen where it shouldn't be. It's not abig problem and I think it was only a problem with the first gen.
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to gotone  
Unread
  (#14)
Mr. Glass

May 11, 2005, 06:35 PM

ive had my dlp for over 2 years now, and its still perrrfect

06 Black 10R
http://theazzman.com
http://twitter.com/azzman
"(@)'(@)''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''(@)(@)** **** (@)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossi
dressing up like a fruity gangster and going to Sterling, that is like wearing a tuxedo just to go to the bathroom.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossi
Buying a sportbike to go the speed limit (which you do not do in your car) is like buying a condom to look at it.

Do you buy a condom to look at it? No you buy it to fuck.
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via ICQ to usman Send a message via Yahoo to usman Send a message via AIM to usman  
Unread
  (#15)
GP Racer

May 11, 2005, 07:41 PM

50" IS MONEY... the 61" isnt as sharp. the newer one has some issues with playing video games, some delay or something you push left and a sec later you turn left.
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to Grandmaster_B