DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 273
1 members and 272 guests
2blueyam
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Non-Sportbike Forums > Non-Sportbike Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools
Samsung S4 LTE-A or Sony Xperia Z Ultra?
Unread
  (#1)
↓ dn ʎɐʍ sıɥʇ ↓

Samsung S4 LTE-A or Sony Xperia Z Ultra? - August 8, 2013, 06:13 AM

I want a phone to replace my Galaxy Note 2 and I want it to have the snapdragon 800 cpu.

Two available phones at the moment are the S4 LTE-A and Xperia Z Ultra. I understand that they are vastly different when it comes to size.

I don't find the Note 2 to be a big phone at all, especially having owned it for some time but now it just seems normal.

What are your thoughts? I hear the screen on the S4 is suppose to be way better with quality and viewing angle.

I'd like to get the HTC One Max but I'm in need of a phone relatively soon.

-Ryan
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#2)
Im Always Down to Ride

August 8, 2013, 07:01 AM

I have no idea how you could/would manage a phone that size. Its just no way

Remember when sex was safe and motorcycles were dangerous?

Speed kills, ride a Yamaha!

MotorSport/PowerSport Auctions
Unread
  (#3)
starbucks ADV rider

August 8, 2013, 07:13 AM

Hard to beat the samsung screens, but since youve had a Note 2 might as well give the Xperia a try.... They seem really nicely built.

08 Yamaha WR450F/ SM
12 Yamaha SuperTenere
Unread
  (#4)
Officially Addicted to Posting

August 8, 2013, 07:41 AM

What are you using it for? I prefer to leave my phone somewhere else and use my iPad if im on the couch or bed.

"I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, with tears in my eyes: If you fuck with me, I'll kill you all." -MG James Mattis, Iraq 2003

Ruining .net one post at a time
Unread
  (#5)
Stand Collector

August 8, 2013, 07:46 AM

you know what they say about having a big phone...the bigger the phone...the smaller the.....

899 Panigale
Unread
  (#6)
↓ dn ʎɐʍ sıɥʇ ↓

August 8, 2013, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bds120 View Post
I have no idea how you could/would manage a phone that size. Its just no way
Kind of felt that way with the Note 2 and now that I've had it for awhile I can easily say I wouldn't wan to go (much) smaller.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nani View Post
Hard to beat the samsung screens, but since youve had a Note 2 might as well give the Xperia a try.... They seem really nicely built.
Yea, and I like the waterproof feature (S4 active has a bad record of waterproofness)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
What are you using it for? I prefer to leave my phone somewhere else and use my iPad if im on the couch or bed.
Facebook, movies, remote desktop, navigation, internet browsing and skype. I have an ipad 3 and a mini (LOVE the mini) but when we travel around I prefer to bring as few electronics as possible and the phone is always a must bring.
I don't need to upgrade but this is the perfect time to sell the note 2 before more sd800 phones and the note 3 come out, I can almost get what I paid for it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by airjor13 View Post
you know what they say about having a big phone...the bigger the phone...the smaller the.....
Yea, but it will look much bigger when I blow it up on the big screen

-Ryan
Unread
  (#7)
↓ dn ʎɐʍ sıɥʇ ↓

August 12, 2013, 02:44 AM

Update.

Well, I didn't really go in either direction. I went to a local store and checked out the S4 (since the overall build is identical to the LTE-A model) and I wasn't impressed with the cheap feel of the phone, especially for the ~$700 I would've had to fork up for the LTE-A.

Since I can't find the Sony anywhere locally until early October I went ahead and cut out a piece of cardboard to mimic its size and see how do-able it would be. It won't. Think about carrying around a Nexus 7 at all times. If it had an even 6" screen then it might be more practical.

So, unless I wanted to wait even longer for the next version of SD800 phones to roll out I was going to have to lower my requirements and what I ended up with was an HTC One with the SD600 cpu.

First and foremost, the One feels and looks amazing, they went above and beyond trying to make it feel seamless and solid. The speed is there, the screen is amazing, the capactive touch is precise and the sound is great for a phone. The rear shooter is nice but I really wish it was better and there's no memory card slot.

It's smaller than the note 2 (which is taking some getting use to) but I was able to save myself about $200 compared to the Samsung LTE-A.

I picked up the red because I hate silver and everyone else has the black one. It'll sit in a case for the most part but the red is growing on me.

-Ryan
Unread
  (#8)

August 12, 2013, 04:26 AM

If I ever do get an Android device, it will probably be an HTC

"I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, with tears in my eyes: If you fuck with me, I'll kill you all." -MG James Mattis, Iraq 2003

Unread
  (#9)
↓ dn ʎɐʍ sıɥʇ ↓

August 12, 2013, 05:03 AM

Quote:

If I ever do get an Android device, it will probably be an HTC
I was never a big fan of them in the past, they always seemed a bit on the cheap side but now it's a complete 360. I would easily recommend it.

-Ryan
Unread
  (#10)

August 12, 2013, 05:12 AM

Apple is just lagging behind hardware wise. Specifically the form factor that they use is getting old. I like the 5, but I like the larger screens that pretty much every Android device now comes with

Unread
  (#11)
↓ dn ʎɐʍ sıɥʇ ↓

August 12, 2013, 05:16 AM

Quote:
Apple is just lagging behind hardware wise. Specifically the form factor that they use is getting old. I like the 5, but I like the larger screens that pretty much every Android device now comes with
completely agree and it's sad they are sticking with the same size for the next iphone. I really hope to see them use something equiv. if not better than the SD800 cpu.

-Ryan
Unread
  (#12)
Im Always Down to Ride

August 12, 2013, 05:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark View Post
I was never a big fan of them in the past, they always seemed a bit on the cheap side but now it's a complete 360. I would easily recommend it.
This...I had the HTC Touch and HTC Touch Pro...

said I would not get another HTC. Maybe they decided to get their act together.

Right now I am needing a hookup on Verizon. I am leaving Sprint in September and really want Verizon, but they just so dang expensive.

Unread
  (#13)
GP Champ

August 12, 2013, 05:33 AM

There was a time were people got the best expensive computers so they wouldn't have to buy another one for 5-6 years. Camera aficionados would buy an expensive camera that lasted for ages so they could focus their funds on buying lenses as needed. You would try to get the biggest and baddest TV on the market cause 10 years later you'd still be rocking it.

I wonder how our society became consumerist enough that spending the following every two years is now supposed to make sense: $300-$700 for a cell phone, $400-$600 for a tablet that does the same thing, $500 for the same tablet just smaller, and $1600 for a laptop that again does the same thing.

My 12 yr old 48" slim CRT rear projection TV just bit the dust last year and I was sad. I still have a 10 yr old 22" LCD that cost me $1,000. My laptop is approx 7 yrs old with a battery that doesn't even work, and I still have the iPhone4 from the month after it came out. And surprisingly I still survive.

Forum Runner FTW!!!
Unread
  (#14)
↓ dn ʎɐʍ sıɥʇ ↓

August 12, 2013, 05:42 AM

Good for you! I wish I could deal with older tech but I just can't, I appreciate advancements too much. Also, apple devices tend to go to shit (unless JB'n and customized) once they are 2 generations behind the curve (my wifes iphone 4 would crash programs all the time as would our older ipad 1). I'd rather sell the device when it's still worth something and get the next best thing.

I'm taking a wash on the Note 2 I'm selling and it would easily last me a few more years tech wise, but I'd rather have something with new tech.

-Ryan
Unread
  (#15)
Im Always Down to Ride

August 12, 2013, 06:25 AM

Im the same with you Dark. The thing with me is I don't buy unless I sell and IF I do buy, I make sure I sell something.

Like...I purchased those leather race pants from a guy here on the board, and right after sold a jacket on ebay to recoup. Thats my own personal policy.

I do love technology that much though. I have and still use my S2 til this day. She still works fine and all and is honestly the first phone I have kept for 2 yrs. I use to switch phones like underwear when all you had to do was back in the day call sprint and complain and they would send you the latest model.

I am in search of a phone right now. I am trying to decide on purchasing one with a new contract or buying one and then buying a old contract that someone else owned to keep the bill lowered. Not sure yet.

My LCD(which I bought right after college) is a Toshiba 42 and still looks fantastic. Its now 5 yrs old. Did not noticed how much TV's have advanced until Saturday at a guys house who has that new Samsung you can talk to. BEAUTIFUL!!!...but still no need for me to upgrade so I am not going to.

My laptop is about 4.5 yrs old and still running strong. I bought Dark's PC because I wanted a desktop for doing other work and so on and playing games and such. She will last me for a good while.

In total...I LOVE ELECTRONICS but I have started to slow down my purchases because they change so quickly. My wife was debating so hard on getting a S3 that by the time she got ready...the S4 had came out. Its like Moore's Law on steroids. Every 3 months a new phone comes. So you might as well just choose one(A GOOD ONE) and hold onto it because it will become irrelevant within 5-6 months MAX.