DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 529
1 members and 528 guests
tonetone
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Non-Sportbike Forums > Non-Sportbike Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools
Samsung Vibrant (Galaxy S) - Anyone Have One? Reviews?
Unread
  (#1)
Your Ad Here

Samsung Vibrant (Galaxy S) - Anyone Have One? Reviews? - August 13, 2010, 04:36 PM

I paid my T-Mo bill the other day at the store and was playing around with one on display loaded with Android 2.1

Not too bad. Probably the first phone in awhile to make me consider ditching my BB. I've never had a Samsung phone so don't know much about the brand. I know Android is pretty much the same across all phones with the exception that manufs. like to put their "skin" on it and all the Galaxy S's phones are essentially the same just with different form factors.

Anyone have one? Thoughts? Feedback?

“Any man who tries to be good all the time is bound to come to ruin among the great number who are not good. Hence a Prince who wants to keep his authority must learn how not to be good, and use that knowledge, or refrain from using it, as necessity requires”.

- Nicolo Machiavelli 1469-1527

Facebook Page MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#2)
noise

August 13, 2010, 10:16 PM

Reading reviews about the new Samsung Droids, all received great reviews and with the AMOLED screens.

"Love is love and family is what is around you and who is in your immediate sphere."
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#3)
Groping is a skill...

August 15, 2010, 05:23 PM

Samsung always made great phones. They fell a bit behind in the PDA field though.

2015 KTM Super Duke 1290 R
2013 Victory Vision Tour
K7 Gixxer 600 - Track Only
RnR Cycles Touched & Tuned

I grope suckaz!!! -
  Facebook Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#4)
Railing!

August 15, 2010, 05:38 PM

I got a very good deal on one when it first came out and I LOVE it (previously had a BB). Here are some of my thoughts:
1. Fantastic screen. I put it next to other smartphones and I prefer this screen and size
2. Very responsive
3. Samsung has said they will be keeping up with Android updates. They will be releasing a 2.2 update later this year
4. Great support from the community if Samsung drops the ball
5. Battery life sucks. I carry a charger everywhere but I do use the phone a lot.

Yes, there are rumors of bigger and better phones coming out this year, but I like the Vibrant so far. I will certainly recommend getting one.
Unread
  (#5)
Lets Ride!!!

August 15, 2010, 11:52 PM

The GPS feature sucks and is very inaccurate. Especially if you rely on it for stuff like geocaching and things of that nature.

The LED screen is sweet!

Go Hokies!!!

2007 GSXR 750 Black/Midnight Blue - sold
Unread
  (#6)
Your Ad Here

August 16, 2010, 07:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by myblue750 View Post
The GPS feature sucks and is very inaccurate. Especially if you rely on it for stuff like geocaching and things of that nature.

The LED screen is sweet!
I read somewhere about that. Samsung is apparently aware of the issue. Someone on another board said there was a 4-Step workaround for problem, but I have no idea what it is.

Sucks too because GPS is one of the highlight/important features to me. I want a phone with one.

“Any man who tries to be good all the time is bound to come to ruin among the great number who are not good. Hence a Prince who wants to keep his authority must learn how not to be good, and use that knowledge, or refrain from using it, as necessity requires”.

Unread
  (#7)
Railing!

August 16, 2010, 08:24 AM

Samsung said they will be releasing a fix in September.
Unread
  (#8)
Obstacle

August 16, 2010, 09:14 AM

I'm on t-mobile with an unlocked iPhone (Edge reception only, can't receive 3G as the frequency is different than AT&T) and this is the first phone I've seen in a long time that I'd consider switching to.
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to Nihilation  
Unread
  (#9)
Your Ad Here

August 16, 2010, 10:15 AM

^^^Yeah, I was thinking of picking up a used Iphone 3G just to play around with on Tmo, then I found out the band was different and Iphone couldn't get HSPA. Apparently when it comes to 3G, Tmo in the US got this little band that is on a lonely island by itself. They're on the more standard band overseas but here it's isolated.

Kind of sucks for us because it limits the number of phone options we have here in the US.

Unread
  (#10)
2 wheels for life

September 8, 2010, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by myblue750 View Post

The LED screen is sweet!
Ok here is my question

Need a phone with GPS(inbuild/does not require data plan) and at least 3.2 camera and rest I do not care much .. I came up with Nokia 5800 navigations edition .. The only other phone that did not charge anything for GPS was Gaminfone but I would rather get a Nokia. Is there any others I am missing. I know there are a few other Nokia's which offer the same but any other brands?

Adrenaline Addict
Unread
  (#11)
Your Ad Here

September 8, 2010, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEEP View Post
Ok here is my question

Need a phone with GPS(inbuild/does not require data plan) and at least 3.2 camera and rest I do not care much .. I came up with Nokia 5800 navigations edition .. The only other phone that did not charge anything for GPS was Gaminfone but I would rather get a Nokia. Is there any others I am missing. I know there are a few other Nokia's which offer the same but any other brands?
What network do you plan to run it on?

Unread
  (#12)
2 wheels for life

September 8, 2010, 04:16 PM

Tmobile

Adrenaline Addict

Last edited by Deep; September 8, 2010 at 04:18 PM..
Unread
  (#13)
Lets Ride!!!

September 8, 2010, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heist View Post
I read somewhere about that. Samsung is apparently aware of the issue. Someone on another board said there was a 4-Step workaround for problem, but I have no idea what it is.

Sucks too because GPS is one of the highlight/important features to me. I want a phone with one.

I gave up on waiting for a fix and just got an HTC Evo. The GPS is spot on accurate and everything about it is amazing. Blazing fast, bright screen, a camera that takes 8 megapixel shots and also has a front facing camera for video chat. I am glad I switched from AT&T and the Galaxy to the Sprint and the Evo

Go Hokies!!!

2007 GSXR 750 Black/Midnight Blue - sold
Unread
  (#14)
Your Ad Here

September 8, 2010, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEEP View Post
Tmobile
I think it's going to be hard to find many GPS phones that don't require a data plan because the maps aren't stored on the phone, they're DL'd off the network.

That said, you can DL apps like Navigon or TomTom which will store the map on the phone and integrate w/the GPS receiver and suddenly your options will open up much more.

If you want to save some money, you can go used / refurb off ebay.

- Used BB Curve 8310 or 8800 have GPS

- An unlocked Iphone 2 or 3G/GS will give you GPS as well

Newer:
- Samsung Behold

- Tmobile Dash (Or just about any WinMo phone with a GPS receiver + Tom Tom App)