DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 564
0 members and 564 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net
DCSportbikes.net

DCSportbikes.net (http://www.dcsportbikes.net/forum/)
-   Non-Sportbike Chat (http://www.dcsportbikes.net/forum/f41/)
-   -   Science v God: Fight of the Century or False Divide? (http://www.dcsportbikes.net/forum/f41/science-v-god-fight-century-false-divide-77364/)

OrangeShirtDude October 3, 2012 01:29 PM

Science v God: Fight of the Century or False Divide?

Not new, but I doubt many people have read these. The Templeton Foundation's Big Questions Essay Series made these responses available back in 2008. You may recognize some pretty heavy hitters among the contributors, accomplished scholars on both sides of the debate. Make yourself a cup of coffee and enjoy these concise and well-crafted responses.

For an introductory overview of the series, here's this.

The essays are here, and they are brief and to the point.

And for good measure, here is an earlier (2006) Time Magazine feature article about the topic.

God vs. Science - TIME

Camelhumps October 3, 2012 01:33 PM

Naked_Biker October 3, 2012 01:40 PM

Science and God do not exist on the same plane.

Slider October 3, 2012 01:43 PM

Very cool!

OrangeShirtDude October 3, 2012 01:52 PM

One big argument these days is that since neuroscience is revealing more and more of our behavior as a function of mechanistic operations of neurons, the notion of "soul" and/or "spirit" loses ground. For a long time, however, I have clung to the notion that we can find purely physical explanations for everything in the physical realm. In fact, I'd be quite worried if we could not. So for me, I do not see the problem with a soul being manifest in the physical realm by physical processes. Whether or not my "self" is gone after my physical existence breaks apart remains a question that science cannot answer. If I only believe in physical existence, then the obvious answer is that it's "goodbye Charlie" when I die, a la Hobbs's worm food hypothesis.

Oh and I actually think the Cardinal's essay is convoluted and difficult to follow. I winced as I read the attempts of a Catholic Clergyman to converse on biology in technical terms. Other than that one, the essays are great.

Heist October 3, 2012 01:53 PM

Even with science's greatest theories and firmly held beliefs, you can boil the entire existence of the known Universe and every being and entity know and unknown contained within down to a specific event; down to a singularity if you would like, and the question would still remain.

WHO are WHAT created the one or two atoms that touched off the Big Bang billions of years ago.

When you can answer that question, then the debate over God vs. Science can finally be put to bed.

Me, I believe God started it all. And God for the purposes of this discussion can be defined as a higher power or entity, not necessarily the etheral entity floating in some celestial Shangri-la like plane.

Stillie October 3, 2012 01:54 PM

I can't stop lol'ing at CH's post :rofl:

Scratch October 3, 2012 01:57 PM

Scot October 3, 2012 02:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Heist (Post 1290560)
Even with science's greatest theories and firmly held beliefs, you can boil the entire existence of the known Universe and every being and entity know and unknown contained within down to a specific event; down to a singularity if you would like, and the question would still remain.

WHO are WHAT created the one or two atoms that touched off the Big Bang billions of years ago.

When you can answer that question, then the debate over God vs. Science can finally be put to bed.

Me, I believe God started it all. And God for the purposes of this discussion can be defined as a higher power or entity, not necessarily the etheral entity floating in some celestial Shangri-la like plane.

Who/What created God?

It's an endless question. My contention is that God explains how we are here yet that claim is without proof. Science cannot disprove God, but the proof of God's existence lies on the believer in my eyes, (see FSM)
Science says we don't know what caused the big bang. It's working on the answer however. It's the question of something created from nothing. I know some scientists began traveling down the road of matter/antimatter cancelling out (therefore if two things can make a nothing....in theory, nothing can make a something.) but that may be a reach with our current understanding. I'm not saying it's even feasible.

I'm still reading the sites listed above.

OrangeShirtDude October 3, 2012 02:21 PM

It's difficult to avoid an infinite regress concerning Origin. One of Pinker's points of contention with belief in God is that if God created the Universe, then who or what created God? The question is legit but also problematic at the same time because an infinite regress explodes: who created the creator of the creator?

My question to replace the creation question is this. Is there someone or something that is the reason and explanation for its own existence? Nothing in the physical universe can explain its own existence. Everything came from something else, as best we understand today. The crux is whether there really is something (God) that can accurately say, "Before Moses, I AM." I believe there is, but science is an inappropriate tool for figuring out why with certainty.

zx6rfool October 3, 2012 02:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Naked_Biker (Post 1290549)
Science and God do not exist on the same plane.

So they took different flights? Somebody better get their asses to the airport and pick em up.

Leoallafila October 3, 2012 03:05 PM

If there is such a thing like a soul, do plants have it? Do lesser evolved animals have it? If so there sure is a place where there is a whole lot of "used" souls...

Stillie October 3, 2012 03:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leoallafila (Post 1290600)
If there is such a thing like a soul, do plants have it? Do lesser evolved animals have it? If so there sure is a place where there is a whole lot of "used" souls...

All I know is that God gave rock and roll to you. He put it in the soul of everyone.

zx6rfool October 3, 2012 03:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leoallafila (Post 1290600)

Explained, sorry for the ad.

24 Haunts 21 - The Venture Bros. - Adult Swim Video

Naked_Biker October 3, 2012 03:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scot (Post 1290571)
Who/What created God?

It's an endless question. My contention is that God explains how we are here yet that claim is without proof. Science cannot disprove God, but the proof of God's existence lies on the believer in my eyes, (see FSM)
Science says we don't know what caused the big bang. It's working on the answer however. It's the question of something created from nothing. I know some scientists began traveling down the road of matter/antimatter cancelling out (therefore if two things can make a nothing....in theory, nothing can make a something.) but that may be a reach with our current understanding. I'm not saying it's even feasible.

I'm still reading the sites listed above.

God imagined himself into existence. Then while resting he had a nightmare; happens to be what we call the world :lol: