DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 514
1 members and 513 guests
Sal_the_man
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Non-Sportbike Forums > Non-Sportbike Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools
SCOTUS Decision: Strikes Down Warrantless DUI Blood Sample
Unread
  (#1)
Your Ad Here

SCOTUS Decision: Strikes Down Warrantless DUI Blood Sample - April 17, 2013, 03:32 PM

+1 for Civil Rights.
Remember ladies and gents, god forbid you find yourself unsure of your status ALWAYS refuse all tests. A 1-year automatic DL suspension for failure to submit is immeasurably better than a DUI/DWI on your record.

Court rejects routine no-warrant DUI blood tests

WASHINGTON (AP) — The Supreme Court ruled Wednesday that police usually must try to obtain a search warrant from a judge before ordering blood tests for drunken-driving suspects.

The justices sided with a Missouri man who was subjected to a blood test without a warrant and found to have nearly twice the legal limit of alcohol in his blood.
Justice Sonia Sotomayor wrote for the court that the natural dissipation of alcohol in the blood is generally not sufficient reason to jettison the requirement that police get a judge's approval before drawing a blood sample.

Missouri and the Obama administration were asking the court to endorse a blanket rule that would have allowed the tests without a warrant.
Eight of the nine justices rejected that plea. Only Justice Clarence Thomas would have held that a warrantless blood test does not violate a suspect's constitutional rights.

“Any man who tries to be good all the time is bound to come to ruin among the great number who are not good. Hence a Prince who wants to keep his authority must learn how not to be good, and use that knowledge, or refrain from using it, as necessity requires”.

- Nicolo Machiavelli 1469-1527

Facebook Page MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#2)
The last urrbendah

April 17, 2013, 03:36 PM

Pfft. Brothers sticking together again.....

13 KTM 200 XC-W
15 KTM 350 XC-F

I might have a dirt bike problem.
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#3)
Instructor

April 17, 2013, 03:45 PM

wow- so I can tell them to shove it, ride a scooter for a year and call it a win?

Stupidity is an elemental force, and I respect that. ATGATT
Unread
  (#4)
Your Ad Here

April 17, 2013, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by storysunfolding View Post
wow- so I can tell them to shove it, ride a scooter for a year and call it a win?
Without conclusive evidence that you were intoxicated, which would of course involve testing, they could charge you with DUI but a good lawyer will be able to adjudicate and ask for something greater than circumstanial evidence.

Refuse any and all test. No walking the line. No eyes following the pen. No recite your ABC's backwards, or recite from the letter "G and stop at U".

Just shut your mouth and use your 5th Ad. right.

“Any man who tries to be good all the time is bound to come to ruin among the great number who are not good. Hence a Prince who wants to keep his authority must learn how not to be good, and use that knowledge, or refrain from using it, as necessity requires”.

Unread
  (#5)
Sewing Machine Rider

April 17, 2013, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heist View Post
Without conclusive evidence that you were intoxicated, which would of course involve testing, they could charge you with DUI but a good lawyer will be able to adjudicate and ask for something greater than circumstanial evidence.

Refuse any and all test. No walking the line. No eyes following the pen. No recite your ABC's backwards, or recite from the letter "G and stop at U".

Just shut your mouth and use your 5th Ad. right.
FYI, you can refuse the on-site tests such as walking the line and the breathalyzer without penalty. The one you can't refuse without losing your license is the one at the station.
Unread
  (#6)
Ni Hao Ma, Bitches!

April 17, 2013, 05:20 PM

who keeps on coming up with this retarded bill, and CISPA?

2006 Husqvarna 510sm
2006 Honda 919
1995 Ducati MOnster 900 - sold
2000 Suzuki GSXR 600 Track Bike - sold
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to lemond Send a message via AIM to lemond Send a message via MSN to lemond  
Unread
  (#7)
SRWJTS SGT-At-Arms

April 17, 2013, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemond View Post
who keeps on coming up with this retarded bill, and CISPA?
All this shit serve to keep America outraged and occupied while the people in power keep fiscally fistfucking us

-Fitz

2016 Harley Softail Slim S
2012 Harley Ultra Limited in Ultra Annoying Orange Sold!
2012 V-Strom 1000 Sold!
2009 Buell 1125R Sold!
2005 Superhawk Sold!
2001 Superhawk Abandoned!
1981 CB650C Destroyed!

Brace Yourselves... the cries of "It's too cold to ride" are coming...
Unread
  (#8)
AMA Superbike Champ

April 17, 2013, 05:23 PM

This is pretty irrelevant for me since I barely drink but it's interesting and I'm curious about it. So what does happen if you refuse all the field tests? Won't you get arrested, finger-printed and take a mug shot? Maybe it's worth it but that doesn't seem like such a great outcome.

05 CBR600RR
Unread
  (#9)
Your Ad Here

April 17, 2013, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RADAR Magnet View Post
This is pretty irrelevant for me since I barely drink but it's interesting and I'm curious about it. So what does happen if you refuse all the field tests? Won't you get arrested, finger-printed and take a mug shot? Maybe it's worth it but that doesn't seem like such a great outcome.
Either way you're getting arrested, finger printed, and a mugshot however:
(a) A DUI on your record is a Felony.
(b) A suspended license is a not.

Which would you want to carry around for the next 10-20 years?

Unread
  (#10)
Track Day addict

April 17, 2013, 06:36 PM

Don't drive drunk and you won't have to worry about it. Simple.

Dale - 2004 SV 650 track, 2003 R1 track, 2007 Tuono
Unread
  (#11)
GP Racer

April 17, 2013, 07:17 PM

Quote:

A DUI is a misdemeanor. At least the non-crash, non-injury variety.
Unread
  (#12)
Your Ad Here

April 17, 2013, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2blueyam View Post
Don't drive drunk and you won't have to worry about it. Simple.

There are gradients. There's a difference between being a wholly irresponsible ass and jumping behind the wheel after a night of pounding Saki bombs, and getting behind the wheel after enjoying a great meal at a restaurant with a split or bottle of wine with friends and running into a road trap where you blow a shade over an arbitrary limit that doesn't factor your weight, metabolism, or that you're digesting a full meal.

Or worse, you blow into a machine that hasn't been calibrated and gives higher than normal, false results - as is what what took place in DC with their breathalyzer machines. Hundreds of DUI cases were handed out based on these machines.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocZ View Post
A DUI is a misdemeanor. At least the non-crash, non-injury variety.
Yes. Sorry, I should have made distinction. Still, for a host of reasons you absolutely do not want a DUI on your record. It's like herpes. It pops up at the most inconvenient times and never seems to go away.

Unread
  (#13)
AMA Superbike Champ

April 18, 2013, 05:20 AM

Quote:

I don't know, I guess if you're drunk then refusing may be a better move but otherwise I don't think it's that hard to walk a straight line or say the ABC's and you get to skip everything entailed with being arrested.

05 CBR600RR
Unread
  (#14)
SRWJTS SGT-At-Arms

April 18, 2013, 05:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RADAR Magnet View Post

I don't know, I guess if you're drunk then refusing may be a better move but otherwise I don't think it's that hard to walk a straight line or say the ABC's and you get to skip everything entailed with being arrested.
I think the issue is that people are concerned with the questionable constitutionality of certain aspects of DUI control. For example, if you're swerving or whatnot, then there's probable cause, and a DUI test on the side of the road is reasonable.

Checkpoints? Questionable .

Taking someone's blood without a warrant? Hellooooooooo fourth amendment.

If I wasn't drunk, didn't have a wife and kid, and could afford the court costs, I might very well refuse at a DUI checkpoint.

-Fitz

2016 Harley Softail Slim S
2012 Harley Ultra Limited in Ultra Annoying Orange Sold!
2012 V-Strom 1000 Sold!
2009 Buell 1125R Sold!
2005 Superhawk Sold!
2001 Superhawk Abandoned!
1981 CB650C Destroyed!

Brace Yourselves... the cries of "It's too cold to ride" are coming...
Unread
  (#15)
AMA Superbike Champ

April 18, 2013, 06:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitz View Post

I think the issue is that people are concerned with the questionable constitutionality of certain aspects of DUI control. For example, if you're swerving or whatnot, then there's probable cause, and a DUI test on the side of the road is reasonable.

Checkpoints? Questionable .

Taking someone's blood without a warrant? Hellooooooooo fourth amendment.

If I wasn't drunk, didn't have a wife and kid, and could afford the court costs, I might very well refuse at a DUI checkpoint.
Yeah, I wouldn't mind playing along if I've screwed up and given an officer a reason to suspect I may be drunk; agree checkpoints are more questionable but am probably willing to tolerate if used strategically (around events with tons of consumption). That said, I also like that the decision helps to keep things in check.

05 CBR600RR