DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 487
2 members and 485 guests
davidcycle, GRN96WS6
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Non-Sportbike Forums > Non-Sportbike Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools
Screwed by a financing company, any recourse?
Unread
  (#1)
GP Racer

Screwed by a financing company, any recourse? - October 23, 2009, 06:45 AM

So this is mostly my fault, but I feel that they share some of the blame in this so I shouldn't be responsible for all the interest/finance charges. The story goes like this:

I bought new windows last year and agreed to a financing deal where it was deferred interest until September 9, 2009. I made an online payment on August 31, but my bank notified me on Sept. 1 that the payment was returned due to non-sufficient funds (I made a mistake and there wasn't enough money there...definitely my fault).

Immediately upon getting the email, I transferred enough money into the account and contacted the financing company to let them know the deal. The representative told me that they had the money (it showed up in their system as a successful payment but obviously hadn't cleared yet) and I needed to do nothing. I explained the situation and she said I should wait until I heard from them that the payment was returned. Ok.

The next day I called back because I still didn't believe everything was ok, and a different representative said that it would be fine as long as the money was in the account, as they would initiate a second transfer attempt. I told her that I wanted to try to make a second payment myself and asked if I'd get the money returned if it ended up being a double payment - she told me not to pay again. If I incurred interest or any other charges, she said I should call back and they'd take care of it.

A couple weeks ago I got a letter from their fraud department. When I called the number they informed me that my payment had been returned (no shit). I explained the situation and they ran me around for about an hour until the customer service center closed. I called the next day and made a payment for the amount I owed initially so that they'd remove the block on my account. I was told to wait a couple weeks for that to clear and then the block would be gone. I found out yesterday that they require two or three good payments before they remove a block...do all their employees have their heads up their asses?

Finally spoke with a supervisor and she said that, although their employees advised me to do the wrong things, it was up to me to mail in a payment since their online system wouldn't allow me to make a second payment because it showed no balance. I agree that I should've mailed in a payment before the deadline, but why would I when two of their employees told me not to? She said there's nothing she could do and the full amount of charges/interest are my responsibility.

I don't have proof that they told me this other than the notes I took while on the phone with them. I have the first names of the employees, but that's about it. This is not an insignificant amount of money for me by any means, so I'd love to be able to do something about this.

Ok, I'm done whining. Any ideas?
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#2)
TPG og

October 23, 2009, 08:05 AM

Molotov cocktail?
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to b00st  
Unread
  (#3)
Don't call my name

October 23, 2009, 08:11 AM

Trying going through the Better Business Bureau. They tend to be a good avenue to use when you feel unjustly abused by a company. It may take a few days for everything to be pushed through, but it can be well worth your time.

Occasional rider, occasional photographer

KnockOut Photography
https://www.facebook.com/KnockOutMotoPhotos
Unread
  (#4)
#47 GODSPEED BAMBAM

October 23, 2009, 09:27 AM

I guessed you learned the hard way to never ever believe what they say over the phone. Get everything in writing. I had a problem like yours and got everything mail to me and then sent a certified letter with payment and when they tried to screw me I told them about the contract in writing and letter and they went oh shit. Hell try to tape the convo over the phone also!

www.RnRcycles.com

Home of RNR Repsol Racing.

Missing all my fallen friends and family! If Life Was Easy Then Everyone Would Do It!
Unread
  (#5)
I hate Hybrid drivers

October 23, 2009, 10:16 AM

Fire bomb their offices, cars and houses. Should send a good message.
Unread
  (#6)
GP Racer

October 23, 2009, 10:17 AM

Thanks for the replies. I figured I'd have to chalk this up to learning the hard way. I guess the fact that two different people said basically the same thing made me more willing to believe they knew what they were talking about, or were telling the truth.

I thought about the BBB, but this is the financing company the window people go through so I figured people don't choose this company. It can't hurt to try though.

Molotov cocktail? I'd never do that!

I'm heading over tonight, you want in?
Unread
  (#7)
Don't call my name

October 23, 2009, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by badguyGS View Post
I thought about the BBB, but this is the financing company the window people go through so I figured people don't choose this company. It can't hurt to try though.
My issue was with the CC company a store goes through. The finance/cc company still have to behave properly.

As you said, it can't hurt to try. May get the interest accrued knocked off and help alleviate some of the pain.

KnockOut Photography
Unread
  (#8)
GP Racer

October 23, 2009, 10:26 AM

Good point. The interest is my main problem, as it's a ridiculous interest rate. I knew that going in, but figured that I'd pay it off before it became a factor...well, at least I tried.

Let's see what happens.
Unread
  (#9)
GP Racer

November 22, 2009, 05:41 PM

Got a letter yesterday saying they're sending back my first interest payment and calling it even since I made a good-faith effort to pay before the due date...BBB must have scared them.

Thanks MissS, I owe you a drink
Unread
  (#10)
Your Ad Here

November 22, 2009, 05:55 PM

When there's a problem or issue ALWAYS presume the front line, regular customer service rep is an $10 know nothing parrot reading from a simple one sheeter and does not know how the handle special circumstance.

When you call in, immediately ask for a supervisor or department manager.

The sups and dept managers know the policies and were there is wiggle room but more importantly to NOTATE the account.

That said, when the Window Co. resubmitted the bounced check - the funds were there to cover it, so I don't understand why there is a block on your account. There shouldn't be.

If they took it upon themselves to return payment (which was good), than that's on them. Any fees, penalties, etc. etc. should be removed from your account and your account return to "in good standing" status.
  Facebook Page MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#11)
Signed up for Track Days!

November 23, 2009, 05:34 AM

dont buy into a fundamentally flawed system in the first place? o wait, this is dc, finance everything!
Unread
  (#12)
GP Champ

November 23, 2009, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heist View Post
When there's a problem or issue ALWAYS presume the front line, regular customer service rep is an $10 know nothing parrot reading from a simple one sheeter and does not know how the handle special circumstance.
LOL Yeah hello Comcast!

I would call them back everyday being a major pain in arse and bugging them to fix it.
Unread
  (#13)
GP Racer

November 23, 2009, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heist View Post

When you call in, immediately ask for a supervisor or department manager.

The sups and dept managers know the policies and were there is wiggle room but more importantly to NOTATE the account.

That said, when the Window Co. resubmitted the bounced check - the funds were there to cover it, so I don't understand why there is a block on your account. There shouldn't be.

If they took it upon themselves to return payment (which was good), than that's on them. Any fees, penalties, etc. etc. should be removed from your account and your account return to "in good standing" status.
Everything's fixed, lesson learned. I figured that since I heard essentially the same thing from two people (don't do anything) that there might be some legitimacy in it. Never again.

They never attempted the transfer a second time either...had they done that everything would've been good to go. I had to make another payment over the phone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlARRRRRR View Post
dont buy into a fundamentally flawed system in the first place? o wait, this is dc, finance everything!
Well, if you had read the original post, you'd have seen that I didn't finance it like a lot of people do, I had the cash in the first place. Nice try though, dick.
edit - nevermind, I hadn't made it clear that I was paying it off in full before the due date. Looks like I'm a dick too...

Last edited by badguy; November 23, 2009 at 08:42 AM..
Unread
  (#14)
Signed up for Track Days!

November 23, 2009, 11:48 AM

calling me a dick changes what you wrote?

"I bought new windows last year and agreed to a financing deal"

blaming me for your actions is kinda comical. you asked, i gave my advice. dont ask if you dont want it.
Unread
  (#15)
Don't call my name

November 23, 2009, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by badguyGS View Post
Got a letter yesterday saying they're sending back my first interest payment and calling it even since I made a good-faith effort to pay before the due date...BBB must have scared them.

Thanks MissS, I owe you a drink
Free drink! Glad it worked out for you!

KnockOut Photography