DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 550
2 members and 548 guests
davidcycle, Scot
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Non-Sportbike Forums > Non-Sportbike Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools
SEAL Falls on Grenade to Save Comrades
Unread
  (#1)
Face Down @$$ UP

Thumbs up SEAL Falls on Grenade to Save Comrades - October 16, 2006, 08:02 AM

CORONADO, CALIF.
A Navy SEAL sacrificed his life to save his comrades by throwing himself on top of a grenade Iraqi insurgents tossed into their sniper hideout, fellow members of the elite force said.
Petty Officer 2nd Class Michael A. Monsoor had been near the only door to the rooftop structure Sept. 29 when the grenade hit him in the chest and bounced to the floor, said four SEALs who spoke to The Associated Press this week on condition of anonymity because their work requires their identities to remain secret.
"He never took his eye off the grenade, his only movement was down toward it," said a 28-year-old lieutenant who sustained shrapnel wounds to both legs that day. "He undoubtedly saved mine and the other SEALs' lives, and we owe him."
Monsoor, a 25-year-old gunner, was killed in the explosion in Ramadi, west of Baghdad. He was only the second SEAL to die in Iraq since the war began.

Two SEALs next to Monsoor were injured; another who was 10 to 15 feet from the blast was unhurt. The four had been working with Iraqi soldiers providing sniper security while U.S. and Iraqi forces conducted missions in the area.
In an interview at the SEALs' West Coast headquarters in Coronado, four members of the special force remembered "Mikey" as a loyal friend and a quiet, dedicated professional.
"He was just a fun-loving guy," said a 26-year-old petty officer 2nd class who went through the grueling 29-week SEAL training with Monsoor. "Always got something funny to say, always got a little mischievous look on his face."

Other SEALS described the Garden Grove, Calif., native as a modest and humble man who drew strength from his family and his faith. His father and brother are former Marines, said a 31-year-old petty officer 2nd class.
Prior to his death, Monsoor had already demonstrated courage under fire. He has been posthumously awarded the Silver Star for his actions May 9 in Ramadi, when he and another SEAL pulled a team member shot in the leg to safety while bullets pinged off the ground around them.
Monsoor's funeral was held Thursday at Fort Rosecrans National Cemetery in San Diego.

He has also been submitted for an award for his actions the day he died.
The first Navy SEAL to die in Iraq was Petty Officer 2nd Class Marc A. Lee, 28, who was killed Aug. 2 in a firefight while on patrol against insurgents in Ramadi. Navy spokesman Lt. Taylor Clark said the low number of deaths among SEALs in Iraq is a testament to their training.
Sixteen SEALs have been killed in Afghanistan. Eleven of them died in June 2005 when a helicopter was shot down near the Pakistan border while ferrying reinforcements for troops pursuing al-Qaida militants.
There are about 2,300 of the elite fighters, based in Coronado and Little Creek, Va.

The Navy is trying to boost that number by 500 a challenge considering more than 75 percent of candidates drop out of training, notorious for "Hell Week," a five-day stint of continual drills by the ocean broken by only four hours sleep total. Monsoor made it through training on his second attempt.

This is a American hero...

"If brains were gas. You wouldnt have enough gas, to drive a piss-ants' motorcycle, half-way around a BB."

Last edited by WvGoDFather; October 16, 2006 at 10:09 AM..
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to WvGoDFather Send a message via MSN to WvGoDFather  
Unread
  (#2)
Owner & Creator

October 16, 2006, 08:17 AM

RIP!
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#3)
IrightI

October 16, 2006, 08:24 AM

Heard about this the other day. Hell of a way to go, I can't even imagine how tough a guy he had to be to jump on a grenade knowing the outcome.

06 R6 Raven
03 R6 Track
Unread
  (#4)
AMA Superbike Champ

October 16, 2006, 08:31 AM

What a great guy. RIP
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via MSN to RichieRichR6  
Unread
  (#5)
Rocket girl

October 16, 2006, 08:31 AM

He is a hero!!! RIP

Angie
05 GSX-R 600 sold

I will be back on 2!!!!
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to angiegsxr 600 Send a message via MSN to angiegsxr 600  
Unread
  (#6)
B
It goes to 11.

October 16, 2006, 09:07 AM

Wow....

The caculations that went through his mind in the 3 secs he had to do that in...

He was a dead man, but to hop on a grenade and save those around you shows such a presence of mind...

RIP

SV650s for SALE!!!
- 2007 SV650 Racebike-Superbike KWS/Thermosman suspension/Swenz bodywork/All GSXR Parts
- 2009 SV650 Streetbike Race blue with white stripe/No wrecks/fully faired with M4 full system

Shoot me a PM or talk to Nate (Nudist) if you're interested in purchase.
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to B  
Unread
  (#7)
Knee Draggin!

October 16, 2006, 09:41 AM

Only those of us that have served can really understand why we do what we do sometimes, even if it is the ultimate sacrifice.
Unread
  (#8)
is terrified of clowns

October 16, 2006, 09:59 AM

sad story, but if he hadnt done that it would have been a much worse story. RIP

'bad news, its open season on chumps, and i just got my permit'

The Graveyard
-2001 ZX6R: SOLD
The Garage
-2002 F4i streetfighter: it wins shit
-2007 REPSOL: pure giggity
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to saki-bomb  
Unread
  (#9)
I'm an Asshole

October 16, 2006, 10:13 AM

Motivating.

RIP

If you can read this, give me a red dot
If you get mad when I type, do us both a favor.

Some recent rep I have been given:
-U-R-Gay (unsigned)
-you dont even ride you troll (unsigned)
-you are now 115% gay, ghey, and ghay (unsigned)
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to griffindj Send a message via Skype™ to griffindj 
Unread
  (#10)
IrightI

October 16, 2006, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DUC999
Only those of us that have served can really understand why we do what we do sometimes, even if it is the ultimate sacrifice.

Are you saying only whose who have been in the military can understand what it's like to sacrifice your life for another's? You can't be serious. Not to take anything away from what this guy did but he was going to die anyways, his actions saved a few others.

06 R6 Raven
03 R6 Track
Unread
  (#11)
I'm so tired

October 16, 2006, 10:27 AM

Took a hell of alot of balls to do that. I dont know what I would have done if I was presented with the same choice. I would have to think that I would have done the same thing. Sorry to see such a fine soldier pass. But his actions did indeed save the others around him.

RIP Petty Officer 2nd Class Michael A. Monsoor. You will be missed.

Myke
- 2015 Ducati Scrambler Full Throttle
- 2009 Ducati Hypermotard 1100S
- 2009 Yamaha Zuma 125
- 1999 Triumph Sprint ST (Sold)
- 2001 Suzuki DR650 (Sold)

R.I.P. my friends;
Karl Michael "Dragula" Meckenberg
Greg "BamBam" Walker
Jeff Vega
Totnac
Unread
  (#12)
I'm an Asshole

October 16, 2006, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian

Are you saying only whose who have been in the military can understand what it's like to sacrifice your life for another's? You can't be serious. Not to take anything away from what this guy did but he was going to die anyways, his actions saved a few others.
+1. I'm a former Marine, and just cause I was a Marine I don't assume I would have done the same. I'd like to think I would have, because that is amazing character, but in reality no one knows what they'll do until they're forced to actually do it.

If you can read this, give me a red dot
If you get mad when I type, do us both a favor.

Some recent rep I have been given:
-U-R-Gay (unsigned)
-you dont even ride you troll (unsigned)
-you are now 115% gay, ghey, and ghay (unsigned)
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to griffindj Send a message via Skype™ to griffindj 
Unread
  (#13)
B
It goes to 11.

October 16, 2006, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DUC999
Yea, that's enough hoo-rah, elitest bullshit. Any father knows what this would feel like, any good friend... It doesn't take militant brainwashing to make you a noble person, it's just what you are. An increadibly brave and selfless act. Every bit of human programming tells you to jump the opposite direction and try to save yourself.

SV650s for SALE!!!
- 2007 SV650 Racebike-Superbike KWS/Thermosman suspension/Swenz bodywork/All GSXR Parts
- 2009 SV650 Streetbike Race blue with white stripe/No wrecks/fully faired with M4 full system

Shoot me a PM or talk to Nate (Nudist) if you're interested in purchase.
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to B  
Unread
  (#14)
IrightI

October 16, 2006, 10:59 AM

Hahha Ben and I agree for once.

06 R6 Raven
03 R6 Track
Unread
  (#15)
Knarly Adventurer

October 16, 2006, 11:10 AM

+1 Ben!
I think every soldier is a hero, but I can't stand this "on a different level" crap that spills out sometimes.
I have a few friends in combat and to be honest the hard core hoo-rah crap usually comes from those sitting safely at home on their couch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gixrben
Yea, that's enough hoo-rah, elitest bullshit. Any father knows what this would feel like, any good friend... It doesn't take militant brainwashing to make you a noble person, it's just what you are. An increadibly brave and selfless act. Every bit of human programming tells you to jump the opposite direction and try to save yourself.