DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 525
10 members and 515 guests
2blueyam, bds120, BigE, CrazyMotorcycleGuy, Dark, GRN96WS6, N8RIDER, RRonin, SHYUperman, Toecutter
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Non-Sportbike Forums > Non-Sportbike Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools
In Search of A Carpenter; Need a Farm Table and Built-In Shelves
Unread
  (#1)
Your Ad Here

In Search of A Carpenter; Need a Farm Table and Built-In Shelves - April 18, 2017, 11:36 AM

I know we have some excellent wood butchers on here (OTB, C2H, etc.). Would anyone be interested in picking up a commission?

Helping a friend with 3 kids who doesn't want to be bothered with a traditional dining room table & chairs.

World Market or Restoration Hardware would be great and a fairly easy buy, but also obscenely expensive. A custom carpenter quoted him on the work, but the man seemed to be more interested in his own vision of 'what he needed' and delivered an exorbitant quote featuring embarrassing mark-ups on a linear foot of wood (i.e. guy was quoting prices in line with using Teak or Cocobola for reclaimed Pine. ).

(1) One farm table able to seat 10, and 2 benches able to seat 5 people each minimum.

(2) Two built in shelves to go in a main living room.

I'll get concept pictures, location pictures, and dimensions a bit later but wanted to put the feeler out to see if anyone would be interested in taking on this kind of work?

“Any man who tries to be good all the time is bound to come to ruin among the great number who are not good. Hence a Prince who wants to keep his authority must learn how not to be good, and use that knowledge, or refrain from using it, as necessity requires”.

- Nicolo Machiavelli 1469-1527

Facebook Page MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#2)
I hate Hybrid drivers

April 18, 2017, 12:07 PM

I made this table but I don't do commissioned work. I just build for myself and family/friends.
This table has a 4" top that was a beam in a barn in PA. The legs are 3/16" thick steel. The whole table weighs about 320lbs. The chairs are from restoration hardware.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg table1.jpg (55.0 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg table2.jpg (73.6 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg table3.jpg (57.0 KB, 6 views)

Last edited by david636; April 20, 2017 at 02:33 PM..
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#3)
otb
AMA Superbike Champ

April 18, 2017, 01:33 PM

Always love a chance to make one-off stuff. As long as nobody is in a hurry.Keep me in the loop.
Thx

http://www.decreasingradius.net/

Riding fast bikes slowly since 1969....
Unread
  (#4)
Your Ad Here

April 18, 2017, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by david636 View Post
I made this table but I don't do commissioned work. I just build for myself and family/friends.
This table has a 4" top that was a beam in a barn in PA. The legs are 3/16" thick steel. The whole table weighs about 320lbs. The chairs are from restoration hardware.

C'mon David. We're friends. And if not that, I'm fairly certain we may be Eskimo Brothers based on women we both happened to know. Will keep you in mind.

“Any man who tries to be good all the time is bound to come to ruin among the great number who are not good. Hence a Prince who wants to keep his authority must learn how not to be good, and use that knowledge, or refrain from using it, as necessity requires”.

Unread
  (#5)
Your Ad Here

April 18, 2017, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by otb View Post
Always love a chance to make one-off stuff. As long as nobody is in a hurry.Keep me in the loop.
Thx
Good deal. I'll get more exacts later and fill you in.

Unread
  (#6)
Your Ad Here

April 19, 2017, 08:14 PM

Below are conceptual images of what he would like.

Farm Table:
- Herringbone layout if the cost / complexity doesn't take it out of budget boundary.
If so, he can happily live with straight planks or reclaimed wood planks.
- 28" high x 8.5 ft length x 3.5ft wide
- Tables and benches finished in a grey walnut, satin finish.

Built-in:
- Center opening large enough to accommodate a 65" TV and 6" sound bar which will be mounted below the TV.
- Finished in gloss dove white.

Unread
  (#7)
I hate Hybrid drivers

April 20, 2017, 02:36 PM

That built in is probably about a $4,000 job done right, by a skilled carpenter. He better take his ass to Ikea.
Unread
  (#8)
Your Ad Here

April 20, 2017, 03:47 PM

Quote:
That built in is probably about a $4,000 job done right, by a skilled carpenter. He better take his ass to Ikea.
Could be.

They moved in recently and I have a feeling this is the 'forever home' - or at a minimum at least until all 3 kids are done with college 18 years from now.

The home is relatively new build (< 5 years) and has a moderately open floorplan. The main living room faces the open kitchen, large sunroom extension off the kitchen, and sight lines into the formal dining room.

Ikea is probably the cheapest solution but he wants to do the house justice and leave the Ikea Lego kits for other rooms that are not as front facing or centerpieces.

Plus he's the kind of guy who appreciates craftsmanship and presentation. I've watched him spend days drilling holes in walls and channeling Cat-6, speaker wire and HDMI lines then patching and painting it all up so that all cables are hidden and clean.

Something I love to see, but personally don't have the patience to do.

Unread
  (#9)
Your Ad Here

April 25, 2017, 08:25 PM

Unread
  (#10)
otb
AMA Superbike Champ

April 26, 2017, 05:19 AM

Quote:
In MDF. Pine, add 30%, hardwoods add 50-100% depending on what he wants. Built in 6 pieces, finished, transported and assembled in place.

The chevron table is doable reasonably. Drop me a pm so we can talk specifics.

http://www.decreasingradius.net/

Riding fast bikes slowly since 1969....
Unread
  (#11)
no one's blowing up moons

April 27, 2017, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by otb View Post
In MDF. Pine, add 30%, hardwoods add 50-100% depending on what he wants. Built in 6 pieces, finished, transported and assembled in place.

The chevron table is doable reasonably. Drop me a pm so we can talk specifics.
4000 for that? In MDF with a paint finish? And delivered/installed in place? Now that's a deal!

Physics always wins

. . . . so get that helmet cam! . . . . . . Because the D-K Effect is an STD .http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dunning...3Kruger_effect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slider View Post
This is what happens when weak minded adults allow children to make decisions. You get stupid shit like this.
unintentional accidental

DISCLAIMER: Yes, I am socially disabled so some things do need to be explained to me.

2013 Suzuki TU250XL3
2010 Triumph Bonneville - I love that fucking bike . . . . Om nom nom nom . . .-Fitz
2009 Suzuki TU250XK9 - KBC Sep 2013
2001 Honda Rebel CMX - KBC Mar 2010

http://flexyourrights.org/
Unread
  (#12)
Your Ad Here

April 27, 2017, 07:45 PM

PM Sent.

Unread
  (#13)
I hate Hybrid drivers

May 3, 2017, 12:00 PM

I figured my estimate was low. I almost said $6,000.

I passed this guy on the road the other day. https://www.builtins.com/
Unread
  (#14)
Your Ad Here

May 9, 2017, 05:52 PM

Quote:
I figured my estimate was low. I almost said $6,000.

I passed this guy on the road the other day. https://www.builtins.com/
Thanks. I'll pass this along.
Anyone heard / seen OTB lately?