DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 403
1 members and 402 guests
davidcycle
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Non-Sportbike Forums > Non-Sportbike Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools
Security clearance worth?
Unread
  (#1)
Chasing the dragon

Security clearance worth? - October 26, 2012, 12:45 PM

I'm trying to decide between two engineering job offers. Without giving out all my ish, I'm trying to evaluate how much a security clearance is worth as one would require one soon after committing. Any insight? Does the level of clearance add value? Worth more then being able to get an MSEE fully funded vs ~2/3 + clearance?

Thanks

More gas, less brake
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#2)
EFI - 07/C2

October 26, 2012, 01:14 PM

Get the clearance. Most employers have tuition reimbursement programs so you can still get your MSEE.

http://www.ExtremeFirepower.com/ - EFI, LLC - Custom Precision Rifles, Gunsmithing, & Machine Gun Rentals

http://www.TankVest.com/ - Attach MOLLE gear to your KLR, KTM, or VStrom gas tank

Each player must accept the cards life deals him or her, but once they are in hand, he alone must decide how to play the cards in order to win the game.
- Voltaire
  Facebook Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#3)
SRWJTS Recruiter

October 26, 2012, 01:19 PM

1 - Any information they ask for, they already have access to most it; so you're not really "giving out all your ish".

2 - Does the level of clearance add value? Usually yes.

3 - Worth more then being able to get an MSEE fully funded? Yes. You can get a MS anywhere and at anytime (if you so desire). However, you can't just get a clearance without it being sponsored. Also, do these companies you are looking not have tuition reimbursement programs?

"Remember you may love your bike but your bike doesn't love you and that bitch will kill you the first time you do her wrong."

MARRC Cornerworker
http://www.marrc.org/

2010 Triumph Daytona 675 SE
2006 Yamaha R6 - Anniversary Edition - SOLD
2005 Yamaha R6 - SOLD
2001 Yamaha YZF600R - SOLD
Unread
  (#4)
GP Champ

October 26, 2012, 01:20 PM

Depends. If it's a federal job (as in federal civilian) then I don't think the clearance matters that much. As a contractor, it is your life line in the event a contract expires or you want to move. I have a friend that doesn't have one and makes a decent (6 figures) amount.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vonstallin View Post
Stinky:
Im so excited im about to pre-blast in my pants.....then....it hits me...
I smell her arm pits and i damn near threw up!!!!
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to hfam95 Send a message via AIM to hfam95  
Unread
  (#5)
Chasing the dragon

October 26, 2012, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReasonableDoubt View Post
1 - Any information they ask for, they already have access to most it; so you're not really "giving out all your ish".

2 - Does the level of clearance add value? Usually yes.

3 - Worth more then being able to get an MSEE fully funded? Yes. You can get a MS anywhere and at anytime (if you so desire). However, you can't just get a clearance without it being sponsored. Also, do these companies you are looking not have tuition reimbursement programs?
1: I was referring to putting too much info about either job or personal goals and desires on an internet forum. At this point I am just trying to evaluate the entire picture (pay, benefits, what I would be doing, where I'd live, etc) since one job would require me to relocate. Should of made that clearer.

3:

Job A offers no clearance, is a DOE funded lab on Long Island, and funds all tuition (grad school) 100%.

Job B will need a clearance, is a DOD contractor in St. Mary's, and funds grad school around 66%.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hfam95 View Post
Depends. If it's a federal job (as in federal civilian) then I don't think the clearance matters that much. As a contractor, it is your life line in the event a contract expires or you want to move. I have a friend that doesn't have one and makes a decent (6 figures) amount.
In the unfortunate event contracts cease and I have to make moves, would a clearance help bridge a personal lack of experience? I'm still in that "recent grad" window.

More gas, less brake
Unread
  (#6)
SRWJTS Recruiter

October 26, 2012, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by okayh View Post
1: I was referring to putting too much info about either job or personal goals and desires on an internet forum. At this point I am just trying to evaluate the entire picture (pay, benefits, what I would be doing, where I'd live, etc) since one job would require me to relocate. Should of made that clearer.

3:

Job A offers no clearance, is a DOE funded lab on Long Island, and funds all tuition (grad school) 100%.

Job B will need a clearance, is a DOD contractor in St. Mary's, and funds grad school around 66%.

In the unfortunate event contracts cease and I have to make moves, would a clearance help bridge a personal lack of experience? I'm still in that "recent grad" window.

Job B seems a better choice, but it also depends whether you want to relocate or not. Is Job A @ Brookhaven by any chance? (I'm from LI)

In the unfortunate event contracts cease and I have to make moves, would a clearance help bridge a personal lack of experience? I'm still in that "recent grad" window. - 100% yes.

"Remember you may love your bike but your bike doesn't love you and that bitch will kill you the first time you do her wrong."

MARRC Cornerworker

2005 Yamaha R6 - SOLD
Unread
  (#7)
GP Champ

October 26, 2012, 01:43 PM

Quote:

3:

In my personal experience yes! When I didn't have a degree but I had a TS, our contract got cut. The new company made everyone reapply for their jobs. They did it at a open house. There was some new people that applied too. The one that shocked me the most was a guy with a PHD in information systems management. They asked if he had a clearance. He said no, they replied then we cant use you.

So I was more qualified for the position without even an associates than a guy with graduate level experience.
YMMV

The problem stems from who has to sponsor you for the clearance. That means someone has to pay $$$$$. It's usually the employer. If you're a DOD civilian then this added cost seems to not matter so highly. Im sure it does but they are willing to pay it as opposed to the private sector.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vonstallin View Post
Stinky:
Im so excited im about to pre-blast in my pants.....then....it hits me...
I smell her arm pits and i damn near threw up!!!!

Last edited by hfam95; October 26, 2012 at 01:45 PM..
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to hfam95 Send a message via AIM to hfam95  
Unread
  (#8)
GP Champ

October 26, 2012, 01:43 PM

Factor in the cost of living and commuting in Long Island vs St Marys also.
Unread
  (#9)
Chasing the dragon

October 26, 2012, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReasonableDoubt View Post
Job B seems a better choice, but it also depends whether you want to relocate or not. Is Job A @ Brookhaven by any chance? (I'm from LI)

In the unfortunate event contracts cease and I have to make moves, would a clearance help bridge a personal lack of experience? I'm still in that "recent grad" window. - 100% yes.
I forgot to add...Job B got bought out by Booz Allen in the middle of the interviewing process. Not really sure how to take that in since it'll be the same job but with a larger corporate entity...

Yea, BNL is job A.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hfam95 View Post
In my personal experience yes! When I didn't have a degree but I had a TS, our contract got cut. The new company made everyone reapply for their jobs. They did it at a open house. There was some new people that applied too. The one that shocked me the most was a guy with a PHD in information systems management. They asked if he had a clearance. He said no, they replied then we cant use you.

So I was more qualified for the position without even an associates than a guy with graduate level experience.
YMMV

The problem stems from who has to sponsor you for the clearance. That means someone has to pay $$$$$. It's usually the employer. If you're a DOD civilian then this added cost seems to not matter so highly. Im sure it does but they are willing to pay it as opposed to the private sector.
Wow, very interesting. Thanks for sharing that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quasimoto View Post
Factor in the cost of living and commuting in Long Island vs St Marys also.
Cost of living is a large factor in deciding.

More gas, less brake
Unread
  (#10)
SRWJTS Recruiter

October 26, 2012, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Cost of living is a large factor in deciding.
Nearest track is ~4hrs away if you move to LI

MARRC Cornerworker

2005 Yamaha R6 - SOLD
Unread
  (#11)
Knee Draggin!

October 26, 2012, 02:08 PM

Take the job with Booz Allen. They don't do shit and make a ton not doing it. You might have to earn your money at Job A
Unread
  (#12)
SUPERBITCHIN'

October 26, 2012, 02:12 PM

booz allen well know to over work their employees, but I don't know if it applies to civ engs

E che cazzo!
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to {SALVA}  
Unread
  (#13)
SRWJTS Recruiter

October 26, 2012, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by {SALVA} View Post
booz allen well know to over work their employees, but I don't know if it applies to civ engs
This. They generally pay well, but you work for every cent. May not be the same though since it is an acquisition.

MARRC Cornerworker

2005 Yamaha R6 - SOLD
Unread
  (#14)
Lets Ride!!!

October 26, 2012, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hokie View Post
Take the job with Booz Allen. They don't do shit and make a ton not doing it. You might have to earn your money at Job A

Work with Booz. You will love it here. We work hard and do get rewarded for it. I have been on a few teams and never had a problem. Good luck!

Go Hokies!!!

2007 GSXR 750 Black/Midnight Blue - sold
Unread
  (#15)
Traction Control

October 26, 2012, 02:28 PM

Get the clearance, once you're in, you're in. But it's hard to find an opportunity where they look to clear someone brand new. So take it

KTM RC8R
KTM RC390 race
Yamaha R6 race
Honda CRF50 mini
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to Tecknojoe