DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 611
1 members and 610 guests
tonetone
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Non-Sportbike Forums > Non-Sportbike Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools
Seeking advice...
Unread
  (#1)
singin sweet home alabama

Seeking advice... - September 15, 2008, 01:08 PM

I have a career/family situation that has me tied up in knots. Maybe it will help me make a decision to read your thoughts and opinions.

This is my situation:

Option 1:
My wife would like to move back to the south so she can be within weekend driving distance of her parents (so she can take our daughter to visit the grandparents more often). She has chosen Huntsville AL. It's an up and coming city with a very high number of high tech workers per capita. It's home to NASA Marshall Space Flight Center, Missile Defense Agency, and a number of other high tech industries. Huntsville has all the usual you'd expect in any decent sized city. It has two malls - an older medium sized mall and a new smaller mall; your usual chain restuarants and shops - olive garden, best buy etc etc and a couple more unique places like a Monaco theater (think fancy theater with private balconies, food and alcohol served). Obviously, cost of living is MUCH lower in Huntsville than in NOVA. A 3000 sq. ft house there might range from 250k to 325k in a nice area and have more yard space.

In order to placate my wife's interest, I applied to a few jobs (transfering within the same company) and did some interviews. I have an offer on the table equal to my current DC area salary plus 5k in relocation expenses.

IN terms of the job, its work I enjoy, but haven't done in awhile and will have to get back up to speed with - and I will have to learn C#. They're offering to send me to training. Going into a job I don't already know exactly how to do is a bit nerve racking for me... I'm more of a know then go type. It's not like me to be in a position for which I'm not already an expert.

My wife's manager has told her she can work remotely until she can find a transfer or new job herself. Her salary would probably be about the same or slightly lower in Huntsville.

Option 2:
I'm pretty happy with northern Virginia and like all the things that are available to do here. Obviously, everyone already knows the DC area pros and cons so I won't mention them all. But cost of living is high, housing is better than it used to be due to the real estate bubble bursting, but a newer 3000 sq. ft house like mentioned in option 1 still costs 400k or more in the outer burbs and you don't get half the yard space you might in Huntsville.

I'm fairly comfortable with my job, and was recently promoted. After speaking with my manager about the offer from Huntsville and my wife's interest to move, I was offered a 6k raise to stay. There's a lot about my job here that I don't know yet, but its not a very high pressure environment so I'm okay with that, and I have more knowledgeable personel around that I can ask questions. In Huntsville, I'd be the most knowledgeable person in that position.

My wife isn't so happy about her job here. She has some pretty shitty co-workers, so she'd be looking for a new job here if we did stay. That probably plays into her desire to move. That said, she has a clearance and shouldn't have any problem finding a new job - even in the same company.

So that's my dilema - what would you do and why??

Thanks for your help.

"No race has ever been won in the first corner, but plenty have been lost there."
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via MSN to DvlsAdvc8  
Unread
  (#2)
> 6'3" need not apply!

September 15, 2008, 01:12 PM

I think I would pack up and leave. If the cost of living is lower and you and your wife get the same that you are surviving on here, you will live MUCH more comfortably and be able to afford to do things that you probably couldn't do here. Besides, if you go on vacation and don't want to take the kid, you already have a sitter. But, that's just me.

Stacey
Blue 2005 SV650S (totaled)

Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#3)

September 15, 2008, 01:16 PM

Oh yeah, on the bike front... Huntsville is an hour away from Barber in Birmingham and Road Atlanta would also be within a short reach. Talladega is there... I think that's it. Roebling would be a little closer to reach. CMP is about equidistant.

Northern Virginia has NJ Motorsports Park going for it, and a little drive to VIR. Summit Point is there, but honestly, I hardly think its worth it considering how bad the surface has been when I've been there (riding or watching). I guess Beaver isn't too far; maybe pocono.

I guess this is a wash.

"No race has ever been won in the first corner, but plenty have been lost there."
Unread
  (#4)

September 15, 2008, 01:19 PM

Oh yeah, my wife is interested in having a second kid too. I absolutely can't afford a mortgage and two kids in daycare here. ($1300/mo is what I'm paying for my daughter now - $2600 / mo for two kids!!!! EEEK!)

In Huntsville, the best daycare they have is $800 / mo. $1600 month for two kids when I'm used to paying 1300 for one? No sweat.

Unread
  (#5)
GP Champ

September 15, 2008, 01:22 PM

Sounds like you have made up your mind! Let us know when the going away party is!!!!!!!
Unread
  (#6)
> 6'3" need not apply!

September 15, 2008, 01:23 PM

Sounds like you have already talked yourself into going!

Stacey
Blue 2005 SV650S (totaled)

Unread
  (#7)
Happiness Consultant

September 15, 2008, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DvlsAdvc8
Oh yeah, my wife is interested in having a second kid too. I absolutely can't afford a mortgage and two kids in daycare here. ($1300/mo is what I'm paying for my daughter now - $2600 / mo for two kids!!!! EEEK!)

In Huntsville, the best daycare they have is $800 / mo. $1600 month for two kids when I'm used to paying 1300 for one? No sweat.
sounds like you're heading to Huntsville.

same pay + lower cost of living + happy wife == done.

DBR
#135, #47, Vega
--
"Never contract friendship with a man that is not better than thyself." - Confucius

Will pay to see this
whatever henry's name is these days: jason, seriously, im going to kick your face in when I get back
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to EduardoSuave  
Unread
  (#8)
Triple Secks

September 15, 2008, 01:24 PM

I'd make the move.

I believe i can see the future;
because everyday i repeat the
same routine.
Unread
  (#9)

September 15, 2008, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladypink600rr
Sounds like you have made up your mind! Let us know when the going away party is!!!!!!!
Ha, what you talkin' 'bout!? I can always so no to that second baby! Or at least wait till the first one is in school.

It's hard for me to get over the "Alabama" stigma too... though it seems to be high on the list of places people relocating from NOVA go.

Kinda ironic considering I moved up here from Mississippi - and had all but dispelled those stigmas... weird that they come back.

Unread
  (#10)
Chillin...

September 15, 2008, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EduardoSuave

This should make the decision and your life a lot easier. Sounds like a good idea to me. Good luck house hunting!!

ELITE RACING PIT BITCH
MARRC Cornerworker of the Year 2009
www.marrc.org

Godspeed Bambi...September 11th 2009
Unread
  (#11)
SIN MC Event Coord

September 15, 2008, 01:27 PM

I would move. But then, i'm not a big fan of this area. I'm here mainly because my career choice has a lot of jobs in this area, and the money is good.

so, in your situation, i would be gone. with the money being the same, career on the up and up, and a happy wife, decision would be easy.

I think explaining why is really not necessary. To be honest, it sounds like you already have a lot of your mind made up to me (sounds like you are down for the move, IMO). Yeah, you are going to miss friends, and some other things, but you will gain a lot and make new friends.

Well hope this helps. I'm actually looking into relocation myself, so i know how nerve racking this can be.
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to buckshot  
Unread
  (#12)

September 15, 2008, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckshot
Well hope this helps. I'm actually looking into relocation myself, so i know how nerve racking this can be.
It really is! I've relocated so many times I've forgotten what its like to have roots. Everywhere I go is just where I am.

Unread
  (#13)
Give me the Ban Button!

September 15, 2008, 01:33 PM

This going away Party is going to make Dana's look like a kindergarten play day. Im sorry to see you move but were going to have fun sending you off.

Oh my thoughts on the situation is get the fuck out and make sure your wife stays happy.

MY SPELLING SUCKS....DEAL WITH IT

MyCanikon.net A place to hang out if you are interested in talking photography.
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to Nubbs Send a message via AIM to Nubbs  
Unread
  (#14)

September 15, 2008, 01:36 PM

Well holy not a single NoVA defender???

Unread
  (#15)
tang ama ka !!!!!!!

September 15, 2008, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EduardoSuave

+ 1000000

Anthony
  Facebook Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to totnac