DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 452
3 members and 449 guests
2blueyam, GRN96WS6, Scot
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Non-Sportbike Forums > Non-Sportbike Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools
selling a bike through e-bay
Unread
  (#1)
Licensed Rider

selling a bike through e-bay - September 12, 2013, 02:37 PM

hey all..

quick question. I have sold my bike through e-bay. I stated the auction requires cash at pickup or cashiers check from a bank. the buyer (not verified) sent me a e-check through paypal. I waited for it to clear and when it was supposed to clear-it was cancelled. the buyer said his bank has a daily $3000 limit. he called the bank and got it extended for 72 hours to $4000 and send me the money. it came through as an instant transfer.

my questions..

I have been screwed by a chargeback before and want to avoid it again.
does this seem shady (it kinda does to me)
can he do a chargeback? hes telling me it is from his checking account directly.

his response from me sending his money back and asking for a cashiers check.

I have no idea what a charge back is. The money you received was an instant transfer from my checkings account. The card is verified but checking account isn't because the card is my checkings account. I created this account about 6 years ago when I was stationed in Japan and they thought it was fraud so they put a block on my checkings account. I can write you a check but when you try to cash it you won't be able to. My bank only extended my $3000 daily limit to $4000 for 72 hours. If I had a bank somewhere in this state I would gladly give you cash but I can't do that. I can send money order and that's about it and I can't even do that until I see the money back in my account. If you want to call this off then by all means do so, in the end you would have taken $200 from somebody that gave nearly $4000. Its your decision at this point.
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#2)
250 cc's of awesomeness

September 12, 2013, 02:42 PM

Why doesn't he just give you whatever amount of money he owes you directly in your paypal account? And what the hell is a paypal e check? Never heard of that one.
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#3)
GP Racer

September 12, 2013, 02:46 PM

Google paypal scam. I don't use paypal for anything but fantasy football or social event / meetup group buy-ins.

----------------
Quote:
Originally Posted by MegaTorch7 View Post
So in summary you're a little bitch, nobody believes your bitchass about anything, you look like a bitch, you sound like a whiny bitch and you've probably been a bitch for a long time.

All I want to know, how old were you when you realized you were a bitch? or did someone else have to tell you?

The only thing you can Jocky is the keyboard, so why dont you stfu Bitch
Unread
  (#4)
turn or crash....

September 12, 2013, 02:47 PM

PayPal E-Check is normally when someone pays Via Check on PayPal. You enter the Routing information and account number from your check and then PayPal does the Transfer. I would think they could ChargeBack still on that. I know it was somewhere on here at one point, but the most important thing to do to cover your ass if you go through with Sale or any major ebay sale is to document everything.

1.) pics and video of bike before shipper picks it up (assuming it's shipping?) I'd take video of bike running
2.) Pics of bike being picked up along with a copy of the shipping order (proof bike shipped in stated condition)

I'm sure I'm missing something but I'd do the above at a minimum to give you a case so that PayPal won't reverse the charges if the buyer says he didn't get it or whatever. Assuming the shipping will be insured as well?

- djkouza
############
Bikes: I might own one...
############
djkouza - XBOX
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to djkouza  
Unread
  (#5)
Traction Control

September 12, 2013, 02:48 PM

Paypal is usually pretty good about backing sellers under certain circumstances

1) always do all communication through ebay, not direct email or phone
2) make sure he has a verified paypal account
3) don't accept a direct transfer. Only accept payment through ebay linked to your item

These 3 are not fullproof, but they're 3 rules to never violate when selling

KTM RC8R
KTM RC390 race
Yamaha R6 race
Honda CRF50 mini
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to Tecknojoe  
Unread
  (#6)
Licensed Rider

September 12, 2013, 02:56 PM

the bike was listed accurately with a video etc..

I had a dude buy a bass effect pedal off me once. he paid me, i shipped the item, as soon as i shipped it and gave him the tracking number, he said someone unauthorized used his card. i went back and forth for months w paypal. i won the dispute. 6 months later. they took all the money back outta my account- he went to his credit card company and said the same thing. basically paypal told me there is nothing they can do. they cant fight the credit card companies and i had to pay.. even though it was obvious he was in the wrong.

so im trying to avoid that again.. this being thousands vs hundreds im even more skeptical..
Unread
  (#7)
Licensed Rider

September 12, 2013, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tecknojoe View Post
Paypal is usually pretty good about backing sellers under certain circumstances

1) always do all communication through ebay, not direct email or phone
2) make sure he has a verified paypal account
3) don't accept a direct transfer. Only accept payment through ebay linked to your item

These 3 are not fullproof, but they're 3 rules to never violate when selling
tecknojoe- basically he didnt do any of this.. he started to email me outside of ebay, his account isnt verified and the second payment was a direct transfer and there is no links or mention of any ebay item in it..

shaaaaaady!

now my second question.

I have already sent back the second payment and i still have his $200 deposit. can i keep the deposit cause he's shady? ha (probably not)
Unread
  (#8)
↓ dn ʎɐʍ sıɥʇ ↓

September 12, 2013, 03:03 PM

refund his payment, file a case with ebay for your listing charges if he refuses to meet your payment requirements.

Stick with a face to face sale.

-Ryan
Unread
  (#9)
↓ dn ʎɐʍ sıɥʇ ↓

September 12, 2013, 03:04 PM

since you have his deposit, hold it until he makes proper payment.

-Ryan
Unread
  (#10)
Licensed Rider

September 12, 2013, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark View Post
he basically told me there is no way he can make the proper payment. i have refunded his money and submitted a case w ebay for listing fees.
Unread
  (#11)
turn or crash....

September 12, 2013, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark View Post
This, hold the deposit. What was the second highest bid or was it BIN? Just curious if the second bid is only a few bucks less and is someone local who could pay through proper channels, I'd see if you could do that route and then refund his money.

- djkouza
############
Bikes: I might own one...
############
djkouza - XBOX
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to djkouza  
Unread
  (#12)
All weather rider

September 12, 2013, 03:18 PM

What Ryan said. Why on Earth would a buyer want to send money ahead on an item that he is picking up in person? Deposit money should be sent right away. If that doesn't come, get Ebay to refund your fees. When the buyer sees the bike at pickup and is satisfied that it was fairly represented in the auction, that's when money changes hands. This wau the buyer doesn't pay 'till the last possible moment, and gets to see the goods. The seller avoids Paypal fees. Everybody wins.
Unread
  (#13)
Licensed Rider

September 12, 2013, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djkouza View Post
This, hold the deposit. What was the second highest bid or was it BIN? Just curious if the second bid is only a few bucks less and is someone local who could pay through proper channels, I'd see if you could do that route and then refund his money.
it was a buy it now. he just emailed me and said his bank is going send me a cashiers check overnight. i guess we shall see
Unread
  (#14)
Traction Control

September 12, 2013, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom bellflur View Post
he basically told me there is no way he can make the proper payment. i have refunded his money and submitted a case w ebay for listing fees.
then that's his problem, there's no way for you to safely continue. Don't take ANY risk on this because you can easily get fucked

He broke rules 1 2 and 3, walk away

KTM RC8R
KTM RC390 race
Yamaha R6 race
Honda CRF50 mini
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to Tecknojoe  
Unread
  (#15)
GP Champ

September 12, 2013, 03:21 PM

He can't get a cashiers check or cash but he can send you the full amount through paypal? Yeah... Run away.

There's bold riders and old riders, but damn few bold old riders.